Bobinc.net update

I would like to start off by saying thanks to everyone for the kind words means it wasn't all for waste. I would also like to add the site should be up until March for sure. As I said before too anyone is free to download the files and host them else where.

just curious bob, how much is it to host a site like yours?

About $40 US dollars quarterly for unlimited space. Also got me all kinds of other tools and backups and what have you. Yahoo small business plan. Makes managing and updating fairly simple.

Any chance of just swapping to a free server? I use Zymic for EWWAREHOUSE.INFO, and it has been pretty good thus far.

Could work if you get unlimited storage space. The files up take a lot of space. Still though I have no plans to run it.

As I've already indicated to bobinc I would be glad to provide free hosting to anyone willing to dedicate the time required to run a quality download site for TEW and other Ryland games.

I am a freelance web designer and I operate several web hosting accounts, thus space and bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. If somebody out there wants to do this but is having second thoughts due to costs - give me a shout!

I would happily take over the day to day operations if Bob could transfer the site over to your server. As I said, I run my own site for TEW 2005 mods (EWWAREHOUSE). I am a web designer by trade as well, and could more than handle the tasks of the site. I just would rather not see the main source for TEW 2005 updates go away.

Cheers to you if you decide to do that, I as well as many others don't want to see that site die because thats where we go for all of the mods and such. Sure we can get em here too but its nice to go to a site where you know that you can find what your looking for. I would do something but I don't know the first thing about web designing.

I would happily take over the day to day operations if Bob could transfer the site over to your server. As I said, I run my own site for TEW 2005 mods (EWWAREHOUSE). I am a web designer by trade as well, and could more than handle the tasks of the site. I just would rather not see the main source for TEW 2005 updates go away.

Referring to the the timeline given by Bob in this thread, I think we should aim at transferring the files sometime in last week Jan/first week Feb. Once we've transferred all the files, Bob will need to contact his hosts to change the DNS of his domain name so that it points to my server. Then we are good to go :)

PS. If you want I can set up an account right now with adequate space and you can begin file transfers. Then the files will reside on my servers till the time we have done modifying DNS whenever Bob finally calls it a day on his site.

Sometime in the next couple of months I will be dropping the bobinc.net website. I apologize but I just don't want to keep paying for it and am just tired of doing the general maintenance. It was a fun run and I think it has served its purpose.

I thought I would put out this advanced notice. So if anyone wants to download everything and put it up somewhere else please have at it.

Please don't try to get me to change my mind because it is not going to happen.

I'd like to add my thanks, as your websight has been on my favorites for years.... and this news REALLY SUCKS! Not trying to change your mind, per request, but I can voice my opinion... and my opinion is THIS SUCKS!

That means I have a high opinion of your work with it, and I doubt anyone will be able to fill your shoe's (even though I do respect, and will utilize other options).

Hope this decision isn't because of any real life hardships... IF it is, then I also send out my prayers to you and your's.

Referring to the the timeline given by Bob in this thread, I think we should aim at transferring the files sometime in last week Jan/first week Feb. Once we've transferred all the files, Bob will need to contact his hosts to change the DNS of his domain name so that it points to my server. Then we are good to go :)

PS. If you want I can set up an account right now with adequate space and you can begin file transfers. Then the files will reside on my servers till the time we have done modifying DNS whenever Bob finally calls it a day on his site.

If Bob could begin transfering files over to your server, the sooner the better.

• 1 month later...
:eek: Wow...can't believe i haven't seen this yet. Thanks Bob for all those years and i wish you the best of luck in you future endeavours. :D (Sorry, couldn't resist it) I definitely think that a part of the mod comunity will die as soon as bobinc.net is shut down, as i don't see anyone capable of doing everything you did for all those years. But as someone already said, i will use and respect the other options and let's all hope someone can step up to what needs to be done. Again, thanks for all these years and...we will truly miss you and your amazing work. ;)

Archived