What do your cards look like of PPVs?

I look at fan feedback and basically tryt o get one good main event. One good co-main event. I generally try to look for 4-6 undercard fights. I'll fill up prelims based on how many guys havent fought in awhile or if I want to get a star back on track after a tough loss and have him beat up some cans.

How many undercards/prelims do you guys run?

I play as GAMMA (I also just started a SIGMA game but have not held the first show yet.), I tend to hold a match per division on the main card (meaning five matches total) and then I have one more extra division match for a fighter who has not had a match in some time.

As far a prelim goes, well that depends if I have fighters to fill the prelim role. I will never put a fighter who is popular enough to fight on the main card, fight on the prelim portion of the card.

I don't use prelims. Usually run 12 fights, 2 from each division (FW-HW). I will only consider using prelims if I am uber popular and the fighter is unknown. Otherwise just throw them on, I haven't noticed a big stink about it as long as your other fights are good. I also throw those type of guys on TV as well.

I try to follow what the UFC does when I'm playing GAMMA. 5 main card matches, get the biggest names on the highest slots, and 4-5 prelims at least, where guys fight to get their main card spots on upcoming shows. I would even go as high as 7 or 8 prelims if I had the low level fighters to fill them, but I aim to keep around 26-28 fighters per division and shave off the loose ends, so the environment stays competetive.

I don't keep "cans" with me, and I've even released a couple of decent prospects that couldn't cut it (Ethan Sutton and Heath Kaladaris come to mind).

8-11 main card fights, 5-8 prelims. I usually shoot for 16 fights, 20 events a year- gets everyone 2-4 fights a year.

By doing that do you turn a profit? I know this is a bit off topic but I have been wanting to run two PPV every other month or so but I did not want to lose money.

You won't lose money if you are already making money. If you are bleeding money running one PPV a month you will probably bleed money running two. If you are profitable with one, you will probably be profitable with two. It mainly comes down to your fighter salaries compared to your Gate/PPV revenue.

cash concerns go out the window at High lvl regional..

At this stage i dont use preliminaries at all as all my fights are good enough for an undercard fight at the very least...

2 fights from each division on each card, and if possible I get 1 title fight per event. if i cant get a title fight, then i will throw 2 guys coming off a loss in the main event to help 1 get back on track.

Once i go up a notch and can no longer use low regional guys on the main card, then i am sure i will still do the 10 main card fights + some prelims.

its a little trickier at the International level. I'll spend the money because my PPVs make a ton of money, but i have to be careful abot what I do with main eventers and undercards. Too many prelim-level fights bring me lower ratings/buys.

I am not sure what you meant there, but preliminary fights do not affect a card's commercial rating, and I'm not even sure if they do critical rating.

I hold events that only feature one weight class. Main event is always the title match (unless the champ is injured or so) and the co-main event is the #1 contender match so to speak (usually #3 ranked vs. #4 ranked). The other matches are #5 vs. #6, #7 vs. #8 and so on... with some exceptions like when a fighter has faced another not long ago or so.

The main card are the top 10 fighters, the others are prelims. I find it easier to keep track of it this way.

I hold events that only feature one weight class. Main event is always the title match (unless the champ is injured or so) and the co-main event is the #1 contender match so to speak (usually #3 ranked vs. #4 ranked). The other matches are #5 vs. #6, #7 vs. #8 and so on... with some exceptions like when a fighter has faced another not long ago or so.

The main card are the top 10 fighters, the others are prelims. I find it easier to keep track of it this way.

i do pretty much the same thing. it is so much easier to keep track of everyone.

I remember you saying you do that for WMMA 2 and it sounds pretty interesting, but a bit linear for me. I might have to try that for one of my games though.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Paatero" data-cite="Paatero" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30024" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I am not sure what you meant there, but preliminary fights do not affect a card's commercial rating, and I'm not even sure if they do critical rating.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Exactly. I dont want cruddy fights with no names on my ppvs</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="trypio" data-cite="trypio" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30024" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I hold events that only feature one weight class. Main event is always the title match (unless the champ is injured or so) and the co-main event is the #1 contender match so to speak (usually #3 ranked vs. #4 ranked). The other matches are #5 vs. #6, #7 vs. #8 and so on... with some exceptions like when a fighter has faced another not long ago or so.<p> The main card are the top 10 fighters, the others are prelims. I find it easier to keep track of it this way.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> My problem here is I've built huge stars int he heavyweight division, about 4 or 5 main eventers. Solid there. I've only got 1 true main eventer at LHW, 1 in Middleweight, 2 in Lightweight, and none in featherweight or welterweight. </p><p> </p><p> I've run all-heavyweight cards before (I have 55 fighters in that class, 5 main eventer, 8 co-main eventers. My strongest class by far), but I cant really put too many exciting fights together that would be good main events at PPVs in the other classes.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30024" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Exactly. I dont want cruddy fights with no names on my ppvs</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The thing is, especially early on, you're building up a lot of name value for guys that will become indispensable as you rise up in popularity. And it's usually the prospects that have the best fights, in my experience.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="30024" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Exactly. I dont want cruddy fights with no names on my ppvs</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes, not on the actual PPV broadcast, but the preliminaries are a great place to put those fights on.</p>

Archived