Title Rematches

Just wondering how quickly you give someone a rematch after they lose the title. I just had a huge shock happen when I didn't have anyone to face my world champion I picked a young up and coming guy and despite having much less skill he pulled of a victory. I am pretty sure which ever one of my top guys fights him next will win the title from him. So would you give an immediate rematch the the fallen champion or let someone else have a crack first?

It depends on how the first fight went. If it was a close decision or a fight that the ex-champion was dominating before a flash ko/submission then I give an immediate rematch. 99% of the time though the ex champ has to win at least 2 fights before having another title shot

Just wondering how quickly you give someone a rematch after they lose the title. I just had a huge shock happen when I didn't have anyone to face my world champion I picked a young up and coming guy and despite having much less skill he pulled of a victory. I am pretty sure which ever one of my top guys fights him next will win the title from him. So would you give an immediate rematch the the fallen champion or let someone else have a crack first?

Depends on who the losing champion was. If he is the star of the division straight away. If other people can fill in while he gets back to winning ways I wait 2/3 fights.

The fight was pretty good and the champ dominated it hitting 67 of 114 punches compared to 14 of 36, the challenger floored the champ and TKO'd his way to victory.

The ex-champ was first in the rankings after winning the title and this was his first defence. Before winning the title the new champ was ranked 22nd and is now ranked second. Name value wise the ex-champ is way higher, I think there are a couple of other people I could put forward first and use the time to see if the ex-champ can win his way back into contention.

I like having the challenger on at least a winning streak, so as the former champion lost his last fight, I'd have him get back onto a streak (if possible, his head might have dropped or whatever) and then give him a title match. Title re-matches are never exciting......unless its Rocky vs Apollo Creed!

I make most of my fighters work their way back up to #1 contender to get a rematch, however if they were a very dominant champion, on a title reign I've been known to do immediate rematches in those situations.

I had a situation where a guy was challenging for the title for a 2nd time, he won the title and I booked an immediate rematch, to carry out the rubber match while the feud was still hot.

I NEVER grant an immediate rematch. A win is a win. I disagree with the entire "Oh, that was far too close" or "that was just a fluke win!" that seems to dominate MMA lately. In my promotion, you lose, you get back in line no matter how marketable you might be.

Also remember: I believe there's a limit to how many times you can have two fighters square off. I had Toby Sorkin go 2-1 against Jiroemon Hasegawa and then decline a fourth fight. Granting instant rematches may rob you of making matchups you might want to later on in your game because you desperately wanted your golden boy to have an instant rematch.

With me, it doesn't depend on marketability, nor does it it depend on the result of the last match

I go by rankings, I always have Number 1 Contender matches to see who faces the Champion first, so, if the defeated is lucky/skilled, he can lose the match, win some matches I give him and then win the Number 1 Contender match and he'l be back on the spot, regardless of how owned he got the first time around

I never do two rematches at once, though, Armenian lost twice to Hassan and I'm only giving him a title shot when Fezzik loses the title, which I won't be surprised if it only happens in 10 years, when Fezzik retires

Only ever done an immediate rematch once and it was based totally on the uncanny result from the first fight.

Brandon Sugar vs. Sean Morrison for the Lightweight Title, 3 rounds in Morrison and Sugar clash heads, Morrison gets busted open and the fight is ruled a no contest, given the circumstances i thought and immediate rematch was due.

PS: Sugar won the rematch via 3rd round triangle with arm bar to claim the Title.

I tend to have a list of the next 5 challengers for each Division, based on ranking and recent form. If a title-holder loses, he goes onto the bottom of that list.

However, if anyone on the list loses any match then they are deleted. When the list is down to 2 names (either because the other 3 have lost, or because they have had their title shots) then I re-examine the rankings and form and add three more fighters.

So, in some cases this leads to re-matches happening quite quickly (where the loser of the title maintains a good run of form and other potential challengers do not), but sometimes it means that a re-match never happens because the former champion never gets back to the top of the list (e.g. he has further losses and slips down the rankings).

Archived