Coach Mau and his Career

"Coach Mau, what kind of coaching experience do you have?" "I coached 4th graders in flag football about seven years back. I think we did pretty well and even won the championship. I also took a class in college on coaching. I think I can handle this job here at San Diego State. The Aztecs will be in good hands with me." "How did you get this job as head coach here?" "Well, it wasn't the only place I put my application in. I applied for every single Division 1 school in America. I got two calls, one from here obviously, and another from some stupid school in the south. They called themselves something like.. Ah I don't know, Longing Horns? I don't remember. Who cares, I took this job. I like the history here. Did you know Randy Moss went here? I heard Peyton Manning did too. I hope I can find some good young players to be as good as them!" "Huh? Wh-wha....? Well, umm, good luck coach. Any last words for us? Perhaps a little glimpse on what you think about your team?" "Yeah, sure. We've got a decent running back with a few good lineman to block for him. On the defensive side, we might be able to hold the opposing team under 500 yards each game." "Thanks, coach." Here are the school expectations and other information.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a quick look at what my roster looks like before we get the season underway. We had one of the worst recruiting rank in the nation at 105th. So I don't really expect to have too many true freshman starting; if any at all. [b][SIZE=5]OFFENSE[/SIZE][/b] [b]Quarterback:[/b] Senior, Lynn McDaniel(4/4) will be getting all the snaps this year pending that he can pass his classes. He barely has a 2.0 GPA. I suspect he'll run the option better than anything as he's got good acceleration and agility for a QB. He's got an average arm strength and accuracy wise. Backing him up is Freshman, Doug Clare(1/4). He is not very good, but has as good of potential than Lynn does. Doug is a pocket passer more than anything as he's not very quick with his feet. Overall: D+ [b]Running Back:[/b] Senior, Bam Bradford(6/6), perhaps the coolest name on the team, will be getting the bulk of the carries this season. He too like McDaniel has maxed out his potential as a senior. Bam is an above average back who's got great hands out of the backfield. He'll be relying on elusiveness more than outrunning the defense. I expect Bradford to be our best player this season on the offensive side. Gerome Oslzewski(2/6) will be giving Bam breaks occasionally. Gerome is a sophomore with potential to be as good as Bradford. He will be the starter next season most likely unless some freak of nature freshman can beat him out. Overall: C+ [b]Full Back:[/b] Overall: C [b]Wide Receiver:[/b] Brandon May(4/7) is a possesion receiver with hardly any speed at all. He's a sophomore and he'll be doing most of the catching along with Ricky Davis(3/5) who happens to be even slower than May. Another notable is Thad Matthews(2/7), the fastest of the group, but the least developed. Next season will definitely be funner to watch when these guys improve. They're all sophomores, so we should be set in the WR department for the next few seasons. (NOTE: Less WR Recruiting) B- (Could be the best WR tandem in the Mountain West next season) [b]Offensive Line:[/b] There truly is only one player to talk about here, and quite possibly the only player on the whole team who has the potential to be in the NFL. Gil Shaw(2/9) is a sophomore this year and will be handling the right side of the line in the tackle position. He's a great pass blocker and an above average run blocker. His great work ethic will allow him to improve over the next few years. Overall: C+ (Will go up when Shaw improves) Sophomore Keith Garmon(5/7) is also a sophomore who can play pretty well when he wants. He's got above average ability as both a pass and run blocker. He'll be Mr. Consistent this season. He'll be the Right Guard, so as you may notice, our right side is a little stronger, so we may do the bulk of our plays to the right. [b]Tight End:[/b] Nothing really of note to talk about here. Overall: C-

[b][SIZE=5]DEFENSE[/SIZE][/b] [b]Defensive Ends:[/b] Junior, Art Pritchett (4/6) will be getting the majority of the sacks this season. He's got pretty good moves at the line and can tackle well. On the other side, Laveranues Perry(3/6) is just like Pritchett but he is only a sophomore. Overall: C [b]Defensive Tackles:[/b] Eh. Scary bad. We may need to clog up the middle with our poor linebackers in hopes that teams won't dominate us in the middle. Eek. Overall: D/D- [b]Linebackers:[/b] Junior Inside Linebacker, Michael Jordan(3/6) will be busy with the defensive tackles in front of him. He's a pretty quick Backer who will be getting most of the tackles this year. Junior Brian Byson(4/5) and Freshman Eason White(3/8) will be handling the duties of containing the outside runs. White has potential to be a pretty good player and will probably be considered one of the best LB's in school history when his career is said and done. Overall: C+ [b]Defensive Backs:[/b] Senior, Eric Davis(6/6) will be the leader among the cornerbacks. He's perhaps one of the quickest guys after the snap, but he most likely won't catch anybody on a breakaway. He's got awful hands and average tackling ability. No one really should be noted in the Safety department. I suspect we'll be getting burnt quite a bit downfield. Overall: D+/C- [b]Special Teams:[/b] Les Bolden(4/4) is the definition of average. He'll make a few more than he'll miss, but he won't be able to kick anything with accuracy beyond the 40 yard distance. Junior, Javin Tensi(1/5) will be the kicker next season after red shirting this season. Devin Brown(4/4) is a senior, much like Bolden, he won't amount to much with his strength, but may surprise a few with his above average accuracy. Freshman, Karsten Parent(1/5) will own the job next season after red shirting this year. Overall: C- Overall as a team: C- A quick prediction for the season, we'll go right around .500.

For our recruiting service, we're going to focus on the West Coast and the Great Plains. We've hired Gridiron.com to help us with the recruiting this season. They've got good quality players listed in their program at quite a few positions we need; perhaps we can nab a top player. We're definitely looking forward to recruiting some of these youngsters. We plan to focus on getting a quarterback, running back, offensive line, and pretty much every defensive position minus the linebackers. Schedule: 1 Central Florida 2 OPEN 3 at East Carolina 4 Colorado State 5 at Air Force 6 OPEN 7 Wyoming 8 at Texas Christian 9 UNLV 10 Brigham Young 11 at Utah 12 OPEN 13 at New Mexico 14 Connecticut 15 OPEN We picked up a big game against Connecticut; they'll be our highest rated non conference foe this year. Good luck us.

It was a defensive battle for the first quarter and a half against a very potent running attack from Central Florida. We were able to hold UCF scoreless until finally with 6 minutes to go in the half, they made a field goal to lead 3-0. We responded with a few good plays for a total of three first downs, but eventually got called for tripping then got sacked to stop any sort of chance we had at tying up the ball game. UCF made a nice punt return to mid-field which started out a stellar drive into the end zone to end the half. After 3 quarters of play, UCF increased their lead to 13-0. We started out with the ball to begin the 4th quarter and we drove it all the way down to the 5 yard line before our running back fumbled it which of course was recovered by the defense. We were able to come up big on defense with a interception by free safety, Alex Brown. With 9 minutes to play in the game, we were faced with a big 4th down play. We ran the ball on 4th and 2 but came up short after a gain of 1. A fter another defensive stop and a nice return with 5 minutes to go we decide to capitalize on a good drive with a touchdown run by the fullback Charlie Izzo. So with just under two minutes go and all three of our timeouts to go, we needed to get the ball back. 13-7 and we end up kicking it deep rather than an onside kick in hopes it would pay off. After a 3 and out and no idea how to utilize timeouts..... We got the ball back at mid field with 20 seconds to go. Gosh, I was clicking timeout but it didn't help, apparently. 20 seconds to go and we go into deep pass mode down by 6. An interception on the final play of the game finishes it off. We start the season with a heartbreaker and go to 0-1. A number of good things happened, but not more than bad things. We were outgained by a small margin, 351 to 299. We had more rushing yards with 161; with QB Mcdaniel getting most of them with 118 yards rushing on 16 carries. Bam Bradford was limited in his rushes because of a small injury, he had 11 carries for 41 yards. McDaniel was 14 of 22 passing for 130 yards and a pick. We had quite a solid effort on the defensive side with six total sacks. DT Uwaezuoke along with DE Pritchett had two sacks each. Leading tackler was Alex Brown who had 9 tackles and a pick. For our next game we'll need a healthy Bam Bradford for the whole game if we want to win this. I was limited in my playcalling to running with ineffective back-up Hubbert who ran 11 times for 14 yards. Olsz we retain his backup position next week as Hubbert was quite pitiful. Next up in week 3, AT East Carolina who lost their first game of the season as well.

We just received news from the doctor that Bam Bradford's status is not promising. He's got knee inflammation and is doubtful for the next game. He'll be fully recovered in 7-9 weeks. I guess we'll have to stick with Tubbert or Olszewski. We've also received word that our #2 Wide Out Brandon May will be sitting out because he wasn't able to raise his GPA up over 2.0(1.98!!). After all this, we're only underdogs by 2 points. The Top 5 to begin Week 3 is: 1. Miami 2. LSU 3. Florida St. 4. Florida 5. Michigan 110.(probably around) SDSU! Woot! Game Three Coming up AT East Carolina.

[b]Week 3 AT East Carolina:[/b] Our opening drive was a good one. With two big runs by McDaniel totalling 44 yards and a screen pass to #3 receiver Ricky Davis which ended being a 41 yard touchdown pass! We take a quick 7-0 lead while only taking three minutes off the clock. Even after FOUR turnovers in the first half we were able to get two more field goals before finally East Carolina was able to get a touchdown. That score left two minutes on the clock for the Aztecs offense. We only needed 1:40 of that to get a touchdown pass to Darryl Dee who got drilled by two corners. Dee is last on the depth chart, but came up big when we needed him most! McDaniel had over 200 yards passing in the first half along with 92 yards rushing on 6 attempts. Three fumbles came between Olszewski and Hubbert, but at least Olszy is running the ball well so far with 4 carries for 41 yards. The second half strategy is to control the clock to keep this 20-7 lead. Olszewski continued to stay hot on the ground throughout the 3rd quarter as he scored a touchdown on a 20 yard run play. 27-7. McDaniel also continues to stay hot on the next drive. After some healthy gains on the ground, McDaniel threw his 3rd touchdown of the game, 2nd to Ricky Davis to extend the lead to 34-7. Some impressive stats for McDaniel so far! The rest of the 4th quarter is quiet as neither team scored to make the final score 34-7. Quite the performance on the defensive side! There were no TO's in the 2nd half after four in the first half alone. The defense held East Carolina to a total of 214 yards while we gained 236 yards...on the ground alone. We ended up with 584 yards of offense! McDaniel had 348 yards passing with 3 TD's and 1 interception. He also had 16 carries for 163 yards. Olszewski had 18 carries for a 77 yard day and a TD. Ricky Davis led the receiving corps with 6 receptions for 154 yards and 2 TD receptions! On the defensive side we didn't have a whole lot happen except the other team couldn't do anything through the air as we held the QB to 17/30 passing with 108 yards. Excellent job. Let's see this carry over to next week against our first conference foe, Colorado St.

[b]Week 4 VS Colorado State(0-2)[/b] [b]PREGAME NEWS[/b]For this week we were told the injury caused to Hubbert was very serious. He was injured last week vs ECU, and he was taken out for the rest of the game because of spinal compression in his neck. He'll be OUT for 10-12 weeks, which is pretty much the rest of the season. This means for the next few weeks while Bam Bradford is doubtful, we'll need Olszewski to step up big. For this game, we removed Freshman running back Billy Redman's redshirt status and made him the backup to Olszewski if Bam Bradford doesn't start. [b]GAME TIME[/b] After marching down the field Colorado State had to settle with a field goal attempt from 27 yards out...But they missed it to give us the ball! The Aztecs then drove down most of the field before having to punt it back. At the end of the first quarter the Rams scored a touchdown on a 45 yard pass to the tight end. 7-0 them. After another punt by us, Colorado State marched down the field effortlessly again but our defense came up big and forced the Rams to kick another field goal, which they missed yet again, this time from 33 yards out. This time we drove down the field to score a touchdown. Ricky Davis caught a 35 yard pass from McDaniel which tied the game at 7 with six minutes to go in the half. Small change on offense. Olszewski has been absolutely pathetic so far this game, running three times for -9 yards. Bam Bradford started the game, I let him run one play in which he ran for 18 yards. I'm going to give Bam a few more carries; I want to be real careful with him though. I'll be putting Redmond behind Bam for the rest of the game... for now. The Rams took the ball all the way back deep into our territory and this time around they're able to make the field goal to take the lead 10-7. After a few stupid penalties on our offense we were forced to punt it from deep in our own territory. After a 60 yard punt, the Rams set themselves up for one last drive in the half. They gained 40 yards on a 3rd down and long play with 20 seconds left. This set them up for yet another field goal...only to miss it yet again. The Rams go into the half with a 10-7 lead.

[b]2nd Half[/b] After a defensive stop we got the ball, but more stupid holding penalties pushed us back to the 6 yard line. Miscommunication between the back and QB caused a safety. The Rams lead extended to five as they lead 12-7. But good came out of it as on the first play of the Rams they fumbled it which was recovered by us on the 16 yard line. On a 2nd and 1 call, Bam Bradford fumbled the pitch from McDaniel, but was able to recover it after a loss of eight. We had to settle for a field goal to make the score 12-10. The rest of the 3rd quarter would be scoreless as the game goes into the 4th with the score still 12-10, Colorado St. After a pick by SS Michael Williams, we were able to move the ball down a little bit to the 24 yard line where Coach Mau had to make a crucial 4 and 1 call. After a little fight with the offensive coordinator upstairs, Mau called in the field goal unit. Kicker Lee Bolden after a perfect snap nailed the 42-yard field goal to give the Aztecs a 13-12 lead with 11 minutes to go in the game. On the Rams next drive, OLB Brian Byson came up huge with an interception to give us the ball back at around mid field. On 4th and 1 again on the 24, Mau stared up to the booth again contemplating once again to go for it. This time he decides to do so. The play was sent down, and it was spread, QB keeper right. McDaniel gave the call in the huddle, on two. The line sets up, motion, hut-hut... Wait, it was pitched to the running back for some reason, and he's stopped in the back field for a loss of three. Turnover on downs. (Arlie, if you're reading this, this has happened to me more than a few times now when the play is still drawn up as a keeper or whatever play is on the screen and a different play is run. What's up?). 6 minutes to go in the ball game and the Aztecs still hold a slim one point lead. The Rams converted two 3rd down and long plays because the defense changed the call before the snap. The Rams were at mid field now with three and a half minutes to go. Another 3rd down conversion after a changed defensive play with under three minutes to go. The ball is now on the 34 yard line for the Rams and they're threatening big time. 1st and 10 is a deep pass down the side line which falls incomplete. 1:50 - 2nd and 10 - Our defensive call is a 4-3 Pass defense, mid-zone coverage with a blitz from LB Davis. A quick slant is caught for 5 yards. Timeout called by us to stop the clock at 1:26. 1:26 - 3rd and 5 - Defensive call is 4-3 Pass Defense, short zone, blitz again by Davis. The play is a pass to the middle of the field, caught and FUMBLED! Recovered by Colorado State though for a 14 yard gain. 1st and 10 on the 15 yard line. 1st and 10 is a short 2 yard gain, time out called by Colorado state with :52 seconds left. :52 - 2nd and 8 - The quarterback looks around and sees nobody open, scrambles to the outside and sees his Tight End wide open for a 12 yard gain....but there's a flag on the play. It'll be OFFENSIVE pass interference! 15 yard penalty. Pushes it back to the 28 yard line for 2nd and 23. :39 - 2nd and 23 - Nickel Defense, normal coverage, man. Pass is incomplete. :32 - 3rd and 23 - Nickel Pass Defense, Mid-zone coverage. The Quarterback scrambles around and tries to take it himself before he's tackled for no gain! Time out CS. :25 - 4th down - The 46 yard field goal is NO GOOD, wide right!!! We take a knee to end the game! A huge 13-12 victory for us! We were outgained by nearly double...513-298. McD was 18 of 26, 183 yards with a TD. He also led the rushing attack with 16 rushes for 110 yards. Bam was pretty worthless during his 8 carries for 23 yards. He had 18 yards in his first rush, and 5 in his last 7. Pathetic. Our offensive line is just not getting it done. Despite giving up 513 yards, the defense came up huge all game, forcing 4 turnovers; 2 fumbles and 2 picks. We're now 2-1 with a road game against a 0-3 Air Force team. The Top 5 has really shaken up with two of the top five teams losing. 1. Miami 2. Wisconsin 3. Florida State 4. Georgia 5. Kansas State Miami and Florida state meet this week.

[b]First Half[/b] Air Force took the ball 82 yards for a touchdown. They ran the ball 10 times for 82 yards. Not a single thing could stop the from creaming my arse all the way down the field. Hopefully we can answer back with some lightning! We don't. We punt away and on 3rd down for Air Force Freshman Linebacker stand out Eason White picked it off and ran it 41 yards to the 25 yard line for the Aztecs. A few Bradford runs later, McDaniel faked an option pitch to Bam Bam and ran it in for a score for 6 points. Tied up at 7, still in the first quarter. On the next play from scrimmage, Air Force completed a 15 yard gain to the WR but the hit from SS Bryant caused a fumble which was recovered by defensive end Perry who returned it all the way for a touchdown! 14-7 in a matter of seconds. 17-7 Aztec lead after a 3 and out for AF. Air Force takes the ball 80 yards for a touchdown to shrink the lead to 3, 17-14. Another 3 and out for us and Air Force takes it yet again to the house for another 7 points to take the lead 21-17. We aren't able to do anything on offense. Still 6 minutes left in the half though. After two changes of possesion, we go the ball back with under three minutes to go in the half. Passing every single down of the drive we were able to score with 14 seconds left on the clock with a 10 yard touchdown pass to Ricky Davis! The lead is back to us, 24-21 at the half.

[b]Second Half[/b] Midway through the 3rd quarter Air Force capitalizes on a costly SDSU fumble and scores a touchdown after a 2 yard run. AF lead 28-24. The rest of the 3rd quarter is scoreless. Still 28-24 AF. Another Air Force touchdown extends their lead to 11 with only 7 minutes to go in the game. 35-24. And the defense has left the building. Another TD, 42-24. We can't stop them, nor can we run anything on offense. We pretty much got dominated on both sides of the ball. It was my fault as a coach that I got away from the running game. Bradford had 96 yards on 9 carries. I'm definitely not looking forward to looking at the ESPN SDSU message board to listen to all those nerds cut down on my coaching skillz. We're now 2-2, and 1-1 in conference play.

We're at Week 7 and we're not looking good at all. We're riddled with injuries EVERYWHERE. QB McDaniel scratched his cornea and my coaching staff suggests we bench him for a week. Bam Bradford is still injuried, but willing to play. The staff says let him rest another week. We've got other players hurt too, and we now have lost Brian Bryson due to grades. May too still is suspended for not bringing his GPA up enough. (It was my fault. I accidently missed the Scheduling Hours for the students due to a bye week. Oops. Week 7 is against Wyoming at our house. Wyoming sports a 3-2 record, 1-1 in conference play. So this week is a big one for us. *Stopping here for the night. Need to do something else for a while at least.* Top 5 in GDCS: I skipped last weeks polls, so there is quite a difference from the previous poll. 1. Miami 2. Vanderbilt (Out of no where! There were 8 last week, and beat up on LSU) 3. Iowa 4. Missouri 5. Oregon State

[b]RECRUIT WATCH:[/b] There are a few players that I will keep my eye on for the rest of the season. 6'0, 199 lbs, Quarterback(Athlete) J. Barker from Franklin, CA. He's the #416 ranked player in the nation. Through 3 games so far, he's got 770 yards passing with 4 TDs and 4 INTs while completing 62% of his passes. He also has 244 yards rushing. Hopefully he'll continue to stay interested in our school throughout the year. We'll most definitely try hard for him when the time comes. 6'2", 253 lbs, OLB D. Franklin. 2 games in, he has 2 sacks, 13 tackles and a pick. He's the #409 ranked player in the nation. I'll add two players every week, or at least when I remember. [b]WEEK 7 vs. Wyoming[/b] McDaniel has 807 yards passing with 5 TDs and 3 INTs. He's also the leading rusher through 4 games with 433 yards averaging 7.73 YPC. Our focus this game will be more on the running game, and I hope I can stick to it all game unlike two weeks ago when I completely left the running game at the doors in the 2nd half. We're favored by 6 points this week. I say we win by at least 15. McDaniel(QB) and Bradford(HB) are both questionable going into the game. Both will be playing today after my decision. After a field position battle for the first quarter and a half, we were able to gain some yards to get into field goal range. We kicked the field goal but it was blocked so the score stayed 0-0 with under 5 minutes to play in the half. Our defense has been causing QB Ferragamo trouble all day as he is 0 for 10 so far in the game. Very impressive. All 46 yards of offense has been gained on the ground for Wyoming. With just over three minutes to go in the half, we stopped the offense to force a turnover on downs on a big stop at our own 44 yard line. Good field position once again, can we capitalize this time? A quick screen to the wide out gained us 24 yards, then a few running plays later we were forced to kick another field goal, this time from 45 yards out. It fell short, so with just over a minute to go in the half Wyoming had one more chance to score. They ran a deep route and gained 25 yards to move them into our territory. After another completion they moved to the 37 yard line with :17 to go in which they attempted a 55 yard field goal. The field goal missed leaving us with 9 seconds to do something... We called a streak pattern and completed a 47 yard bomb, but time ran out before we could call a time out to send out the field goal unit. 0-0 at the Half! A solid drive from Wyoming allowed their running back to score from 12 yards out to make the score 7-0 with just over 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Early in the 4th quarter we ran a few deeper routes and connected for some good gains. In the end Bam Bradford was able to take the ball in for a score to tie up the ball game at 7. A 51 yard touchdown pass for Wyoming gives them the lead right back. Our defense gave up their fifth completion of the day and it happened to cost them big time. That leaves us 7 minutes to tie up the game. We still have all three timeouts available. 14-7 WYO. We were able to drive down the field quickly, but had to settle for a field goal with under 5 minutes to play. 14-10. Good game! The kick is high and two yards deep in the end zone, it will be taken out, shakes of a tackle and BOOM gets nailed and the ball is loose! The pile is taken apart and SAN DIEGO STATE has the ball on the 8 yard line with 4:40 still on the clock! Great field position, but we need a touchdown. We get a quick gain of 5 to make it 2nd and goal on the 3. After a loss of two by Bam we run the option for a no gain! 4th and goal... Big decision with 3 minutes to play. We go for it. We run another option in a different formation... here goes. McDaniel takes the snap and sprints to the outside where he's met by a linebacker, but got the pitch off and Bam Bradford is met by another linebacker for a loss of two, TOD with just under 3 minutes to play. 1st and 10 for Wyoming on the WYO 7 yard line. I honestly don't know how timeouts work, I call the timeout as soon as the play is ran when the clock is already stopped and somehow 30 seconds still runs off the clock. Twice it's happened. We're left with 52 seconds left and it's still Wyoming ball with a 3 and 5 coming up. After a big stop we get the ball back with 18 seconds to go on our 43 yard line. After a few tries with the deep ball and a sack, the game was over. We lose another nail biter 14-10 and fall to 2-3 on the season.. What a dissappointment. McDaniel did all that he could today but the lack of a running game caused the loss. McD was 16-33 with 338 yards passing, no TDs or picks thrown. Leading rusher with 5 carries was McDaniel for 38 yards. Bam had 19 carries for 33 yards. Nothing worked at all up front. In two weeks we've got quite possibly the worst team, UNLV in the nation as they're ranked 115 in offense and 113 in defense. They're 0-6 on the season too. We're ranked 62 on offense and 56 on defense, right in the middle, better than I thought we'd be. But we have to take care of business against another decent team in TCU. They're 3-3 for the season, but 2-1 in conference play. If we want a shot at the conference title, this is a must win game as Utah keeps playing well and is 3-0.

[b]Recruit Watch[/b] QB Barker - 1900 yards passing, 10 TDs and 9 picks along with almost 700 yards rushing. LB Franklin - 36 tackle and 4 sacks and a pick. TE J. Brinker is an athlete, and would be a great addition to our team as we're very untalented at the TE position. He's 6'4" and weighs 215 pounds. He resides in Oakland, California. So far in his high school season he as 11 receptions for nearly 200 yards and 3 touchdowns. SS A. Harper - He is from Fall River, California and stands at 5 foot 10 weighing 173 pounds. He's been playing both ways this year; he's got a pick on the defensive side while recording 34 tackles. Offensively, he's got 23 receptions for almost 400 yards. We'll see what he's got to offer us come February. [b]TOP 5 in GDCS:[/b] 1. Miami 2. Iowa 3. Vandy 4. Mizzou 5. Texas (They're a one loss team and move into this position due to a Oregon State loss to an unranked opponent.)

[QUOTE=mauboy][b]Recruit Watch[/b] QB Barker - 1900 yards passing, 10 TDs and 9 picks along with almost 700 yards rushing. LB Franklin - 36 tackle and 4 sacks and a pick. TE J. Brinker is an athlete, and would be a great addition to our team as we're very untalented at the TE position. He's 6'4" and weighs 215 pounds. He resides in Oakland, California. So far in his high school season he as 11 receptions for nearly 200 yards and 3 touchdowns. SS A. Harper - He is from Fall River, California and stands at 5 foot 10 weighing 173 pounds. He's been playing both ways this year; he's got a pick on the defensive side while recording 34 tackles. Offensively, he's got 23 receptions for almost 400 yards. We'll see what he's got to offer us come February. [b]TOP 5 in GDCS:[/b] 1. Miami 2. Iowa 3. Vandy 4. Mizzou 5. Texas (They're a one loss team and move into this position due to a Oregon State loss to an unranked opponent.)[/QUOTE] VANDY????? :eek:

[b]Week 8[/b] McDaniel and Bam Bradford will both get the start despite still being injured. There also a few other injuries on the defensive side of the ball that may allow TCU to cover the 16 point spread quite easily. On the second play of the game, TCU was able to go 63 yards for the score on a quick slant. Yikes. Hopefully this isn't the start of what could be a looong game. After the first quarter of play, TCU still has the lead, 14-0. TCU scored quickly during their second possession of the game. But two interceptions for our defense has kept us in the game currently has us on the oppenents 47 yard line to start the 2nd quarter. After a big roughing the passer penalty(McDaniel got knocked out of the game with an injury) on 4th down from the 38 yard line, we were able to get some momentum going for a 11 yard connection from True Freshman Chris Peirce to Ricky Davis! 14-7 with plenty of time to go in the half. After two huge gains on passes, TCU had the ball within the 10 yard line, but the defense decided to actually play defense and held the Frogs to a field goal to make the score 17-7. We come right back with some big gains of our own and on 3rd and goal from the 6 yard line we do a little pass from the trips formation. The True Fresman pass was completed to TE Nick Lewis who dazzled the crowd with a few little jukes and got into the end zone for a touchdown. The score is now 17-14 with under 7 minutes to play in the half. Looks like a high scoring game is now in effect. For some reason TCU went for it on 4th and Goal from the 6 yard line and failed to score leaving the Aztecs with the ball with hardly any time left in the half. 17-14 at the half. To start the half Bam Bradford decided to show up. In his first 13 carries, Bam had 12 yards total. In his first two carries of the 2nd half, he's gained 7 yards and 49 yards to move the 'Tecs within the 3 yard line for 1st and Goal. After 3 plays, we failed to get into the endzone and settle for a 23 yard field goal to tie up the ball game at 17. TCU comes right back down the field for a TD, 24-17. After yet another 3 and out for our offense, we punted away to TCU who could not be stopped until they went for it on 4th down from the 35 and coverted. They moved the ball down some more until finally settled on a field goal to extend there lead to 10, making it 27-17 with under two minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Big drive coming up for this Aztec offense. After moving the ball down the field very easily, we had a 2nd and Goal on the 5, the pass was caught on a curl route, but the WR fumbled the ball and was recovered by TCU. On the very next play, TCU ran the ball up the middle only to fumble it right back to us. 1st and Goal yet again on the 5 yard line. Let's run this one in. After two very unsuccessful run attempts, we were forced to go to the air on 3rd and Goal from the 11. The pass was off target forcing us to kick another field goal. The kick was good to make the score 27-20 with 12 minutes to play in the game. TCU drove down the field yet again and thanks to a few penalties we held them to 3 points. 30-20 with 7 minutes to play. We were forced to punt in our next possession. After one first down, TCU punted back to us with 3:30 left on the clock. Need two scores with the freshman at the helm. We were unable to come up with anything as we threw a pick forced another punt but got sacked in the endzone for a safety to make the final score 32-20. We got outgained 568-290. Nothing special happened as we pretty much got manhandled in every phase of the game. 2-4 on the season now with UNLV(0-6) next on the schedule.

[b]Injury Updates[/b] After McDaniels injury against TCU, he'll be missing about a month's worth of games due to a scratched cornea. RB Hubbert is still out for at least another month. RB Bam Bradford is probable with recovery coming 0-2 weeks. WR Lewis(toe) and DE Perry(tummy) are out for at least a month with injuries. CB Davis is still out with hyperextension in his ankle. WR May is back from his academic suspension. Freshman LB Eason White is now struggling to keep his grades up, and if he doesn't improve he'll be suspended. LB Bryson is still suspended for bad grades.

[b]Week 9 VS UNLV[/b]Favored by 26 points, we are. Senior QB Dennard will get the start this week as he fits our offensive scheme moreso than the True Freshman, Peirce. I'm going to let the offensive and defensive coordinators call the plays this week except in crucial situations. Midway through the first quarter UNLV came up big on a 50 yard field goal to score first in the game, 3-0. An interception deep in UNLV territory allowed us to get an easy touchdown from Bam Bradford's 1 yard touchdown run. 7-3. 43 yard field goal for UNLV cuts the lead to one, 7-6 with a 5 minutes to go in the half. The rest of the half is quiet. We were only able to capitalize on one of the three turnovers committed by UNLV, but we still have a 7-6 lead as UNLV starts with the ball in the 2nd half. Ricky Davis recieved a pass from Senior QB Dennard for a 56 yard touchdown to extend our lead to eight as we near the end of the 3rd quarter. 14-6. Our defense is playing very well too at the moment. After a quick 3 and out for UNLV, the Aztecs marched down the field and scored with a Dennard to Thad Matthews touchdown from 33 yards out. 21-6! We're cruising now. Defense gives up a few big plays and the Rebels are able to get a TD to get back into the game 21-14 after the 2 point conversion. There's still 14 minutes to go in the game at this point; I'm starting to get a bad feeling. After a 50 yard punt which was downed on the 2 yard line, we ran a power run straight up the middle with Bam and he took it to the house for 98 yards! But after further review he stepped out of bounds at the 26 yard line; so only a gain of 24. Two plays later the UNLV defense comes up with an interception... UNLV takes the ball 26 yards for a touchdown. Tie ball game at 21 with over seven minutes remaining. With good field position after a nice return we were forced to punt after 3 quick plays. We were then able to hold the Rebels to a 3 and out and we begin our drive on the 21 yard line with just over four minutes to go in the game. Time for me to take over the playcalling as we've done zilch so far this fourth quarter. A few big 3rd down conversions has brought us to the 32 yard line with under two minutes to go. Time to milk the clock and kick a game winning field goal. 1st and 10 - Counter loses 4 yards. 2nd and 14 - TE Screen gains 7 yards. 3rd and 7 with 1:19 to go - Pitch to Bam results in a 2 yard loss. 49 yard field goal try for Bolden. The snap is good and the kick is.... GOOOOOOD! 24-21 with a minute to go in the game! Let's hold 'em now. No need to hold them as we recover a fumble on the kick off! Woot! That's ball game. We squeak out a close one against UNLV at our house to improve our record to 3-4. Bradford is our player of the game with 34 carries for 142 yards. Bam was definitely a work house in this game, as the OC really wanted to keep working him hard. Our defense held the Rebels to under 300 yards and forced four turnovers, three of them being interceptions. Next week we face conference leaders BYU(4-1), then next week we've got Utah(3-1). Win these two and we're back in the mix of things and a possible bowl bid!

[b]Recruit Watch[/b] QB Barker - No change in stats. LB Franklin - No Change in stats. SS Harper - No change. TE Brinker - No change. WR C. Wade - An athlete who's 6 feet tall weighing at 193. 21 receptions, under 400 yards, and 3 TDs. He also plays a little defense at time, getting 6 pass deflections. Next to Lewis and May, this guy would definitely shine if he came here to SDSU! [b]New Top 5 in GDCS[/b] Vandy loses big to Florida 1. Miami (9-0) 2. Mizzou (9-0) 3. Texas (8-1) 4. Iowa (8-0) 5. Pittsburgh (7-0) Some controversy has begun, Texas has one loss, but is ranked ahead of 8-0 Iowa, and 7-0 Pittsburgh. The computer ratings rank Iowa as #2, so things could definitely change in the coming weeks.

[b]Week 10[/b] We face a very good offensive unit in BYU. They're 19th in the nation in offense, but 70th in defense. We're 78th and 72nd respectively. Should be a BYU blowout, but things can happen. BYU is favored by 18 points. Bradford is 100% healthy at the start of the game and Dennard will get another start this week. The coordinators will be calling the game to start. Aztecs threw a quick interception to start the game but the SDSU defense came up big also and held BYU to a field goal. 3-0 early on. 5 rushes for 39 yards for Bam Bradford was a part of an 80 yard scoring drive for the Aztecs as we take a 7-3 lead, still 10 minutes to go in the first quarter. Second play from scrimmage for BYU and fumble was recovered by SDSU on the 26 yard line! On 3rd down, Dennard over threw his intended receiver and got picked off. A 61 yard pass play caught by Powell of BYU allowed the Cougars to get another 3 points to make the score 7-6 with a little time left int he 1st quarter. Early in the 2nd quarter BYU drives down the field for an easy 7 points to take the lead 13-7. Dennard got knocked out of the game bringing in True Freshman, Pierce into the game After a BYU missed field goal, the Aztecs moved down the field and missed a field goal of their own to keep the score at 13-7. Towards the end of the half when things started to get scary again, we were forced to punt deep in our own territory, but the punter saved the day with an 86 yard punt!!! This left BYU with no choice but to run the clock out. Bad start to the 2nd half as our secondary blew an assignment and allowed BYU to score a quick touchdown to make it 21-7(2 point conversion). A disappointing finish to our solid drive, which resulted in a 21 yard field goal to make it 21-10. After a very nice defensive stand, we were able to drive the ball again for a 39 yard field goal try...But we missed it. 14 minutes to go in the game and we're still down 21-10. Another solid defensive stand allowed us to drive down the field yet again and this time we end the drive with a 14 yard touchdown pass from Pierce to ever-so-steady Ricky Davis. 21-17 with plenty of time on the clock, 7:22. ONCE AGAIN, the defense comes up huge, but this time it's an interception on the BYU 16 yard line! Just under 6 minutes to go as we look to take the lead. 1st and 10 on the 16 - We decide to go for the homerun while the BYU team is reeling. Play action pass, right through the hands of the tight end.. Damn, that would have been 6 points. 2 and 10 - Draw to Olszewski... 7 yard gain. 3 and 3 on the BYU 9 yard line, big play - Quick slant in trips is the play... Gains us two yards and we're at a critical point again. We're going to go for it on 4th and 1 on the 7 yard line as we're down by four with 4 minutes to play. 4 and 1 - Rollout to TE is complete for two yards and a first down. 1st and Goal to go! 5 yard line. Three pathetic plays later and we have to kick a field goal on 4th and Goal from the 13. Makes me wish I kicked a field goal with 4 minutes to go. Now there is just under three minutes to go. The kick is returned 44 yards into our territory! Oh, no! But the defense makes three big stops for short gains and BYU is forced to punt with 1:30 left on the clock. The punt goes into the endzone for a touchback and it's time for True Freshman, Pierce to lead us to victory! On 2nd down and 10, Pierce avoided the rush and whipped it down field to Freshman, Haynes for a 46 yard gain! 1:06 and counting and the ball is on the 34 yard line of BYU! We quickly get to the line and spike the ball. 1:02 on the clock now. 2nd and 10 - Draw to Bam doesn't work as it loses us a yard. Clock running. 3rd and 11 - A pass play fails as Ricky Davis can't run the route correctly. We're forced to kick a 53 yard field goal with a kicker who's got no leg. The snap is good....the kick is up....TWEEEET - False Start! CRAP! 58 yard field goal now.... We decide to go for it rather than kick it. 4th and 11 - The defense blows the coverage but Matthews can't haul it in for a sure 6! And that's the ball game! Pierce almost came up huge at the end, but only failed as we fall to 3-5 on the season. Now whatever hopes we had for a bowl game has just shot down. Bradford had 21 carries for 87 yards and a TD. Nothing else really happened worth mentioning, except Pierce sucks.. 12 for 32 passing, 141 yards and a TD, no INTs.

[b][size=5]Team Stats[/size][/b] [SIZE=5]PASSING[/size] [code] # POS NAME G ATT CMP CMP% YDS YDS/ATT TD INT LG GP BP SACK RATING 11 QB Lynn McDaniel 6 144 86 59.7% 1172 8.1 5 3 48 3 5 12 135.4 09 QB Carson Dennard 2 31 17 54.8% 253 8.2 2 3 59 0 1 4 125.3 07 QB Chris Pierce 3 75 31 41.3% 374 5.0 3 2 46 1 4 7 91.1 [/code] [size=5]RUSHING[/size] [code]# POS NAME G RUSH YDS YPG YPC TD LG CR MH FUM FLOST 47 RB Bam Bradford 8 121 492 0.0 4.07 3 49 1 2 3 1 11 QB Lynn McDaniel 6 62 489 0.0 7.89 1 25 0 0 4 2 44 RB Gerome Olszewski 8 43 141 0.0 3.28 1 37 0 1 1 1 28 RB Tony Hubbert 4 15 20 0.0 1.33 0 9 0 0 0 0 [/code] [size=5]RECEIVING[/size] [code] # POS NAME G ATT REC YDS YPG YPC YAC TD LG GC DP DP% IR 80 WR Ricky Davis 7 71 36 583 0.0 16.2 69 7 59 2 3 4.2 5 88 WR Thad Matthews 8 60 26 397 0.0 15.3 97 1 48 1 3 5.0 3 47 RB Bam Bradford 8 44 25 219 0.0 8.8 108 0 21 0 5 11.4 1 81 WR Kenyatta Haynes 7 22 14 181 0.0 12.9 10 0 46 0 1 4.5 1 87 TE Kevin Roberts 8 15 8 97 0.0 12.1 12 0 36 0 1 6.7 0 86 WR Ron Lewis 3 11 7 81 0.0 11.6 1 0 16 0 2 18.2 0 89 TE Nick Lewis 8 15 5 79 0.0 15.8 10 1 23 0 3 20.0 0 82 WR Darryl Dee 8 12 6 62 0.0 10.3 5 1 30 0 1 8.3 1 [/code] [size=5]Defense[/size] [code] # POS NAME G TAK SOLO AST SACK STF HUR DP PD INT DEF-TD MISSTAK OOP BPA 55 OLB Eason White 8 66 49 17 0 2 7 1 6 1 0 0 0 0 26 FS Alex Brown 8 49 38 11 1 3 0 0 3 1 0 3 1 2 49 ILB Michael Jordan 8 34 29 5 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 38 SS Michael Williams 8 32 19 13 0 0 0 0 1 3 0 6 0 1 93 DE Art Pritchett 8 29 26 3 5 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 43 OLB Brian Bryson 4 29 18 11 0 1 1 1 2 1 0 0 1 0 27 CB Eric Davis 6 26 15 11 0 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 0 0 33 FS Andy Nugent 8 25 13 12 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 2 0 23 CB Carl Harrison 8 21 6 15 0 0 0 0 9 0 0 10 0 4 97 DT Audray Uwaezuoke 8 20 16 4 6 1 4 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 50 ILB Kevin Kozlowski 6 18 15 3 0 2 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 2 98 DE Laveranues Perry 7 11 9 2 2 2 3 1 0 0 1 0 2 0 [/code]

[b]Week 11 - UTAH[/b] I suspect we get beat again, but Utah is only favored by 7 points. If we play like we did against BYU, we may squeak out a win. Bam Bradford suffered another injury and this time it's a leg fracture. It looks like we've got a real fragile RB, but he's tough enough and is okay to play. Dennard is out for the with torn cartilidge in his ankle. Our backup DT at the beginning of the season who's now starting is out too with knee problems. Could be a long day... To kickoff! This will be shorter in length as we're not really shooting for anything anymore :( The first quarter was scoreless with the Aztecs having two chances at a score, one resulted in an interception and the other a missed field goal. A late first quarter drive ended in a 2nd quarter touchdown as Utah ran a screen on 4th and goal from the 3 to score. 7-0. Field goal for Uah, 10-0 half way through the 2nd Q. TD Utah - 17-0. :( Closing in on halftime. A very nice drive to start the 2nd half ends in a field goal, 17-3. It was big play after big play, then crap crap crap, short FG. FG Utah - 20-3 TD SDSU! 20-10 - 10 minutes to go in the game. With 5 minutes to go in the game, the Aztecs get the ball back and take three minutes to score a touchdown to pull the game closer, 20-17. We try for the onside kick, but fail. The defense comes up with three stops and the ball is punted back to us to the 18 yard line, 1st and 10 with 41 seconds to go(Timeouts are still not working correctly for me). After two nice gains, we fail to reach field goal range and lose with the final score being, 20-17. It was a good comeback though. I'm proud of my guys. We have our last conference game against a 4-5(4-3) New Mexico squad and finish out at home against UCONN.

[b]RECRUIT WATCH[/b] QB Barker, 3000 yards passing, 16 TDs, 11 INT, 800 yards rushing. LB Franklin, 55 tackles, 8 sacks, 2 INT TE Brinker, 16 receptions, 240 yards, 4 TDs SS Harper, 43 tackles, 31 receptions, 655 yards receiving WR Wade, 34 Rec., 542 yards, 6 TDs [b]GDCS POLL[/b] 1. Miami 2. Mizzou 3. Iowa 4. Pittsburgh 5. Texas [b]Week 12[/b] We're off this week, but there's still a big conference game. Utah vs BYU, this game will pretty much decide the Conference Champ of the Mountain West Conference. BYU ended up winning convincingly, 24-8. TCU is also 6-1, so they're tied up with BYU, but BYU only has two losses on the season while TCU, three. [b]Week 13 GDCS Poll[/b] 1. Miami (11-0) 2. Pittsburgh!(10-0) 3. Texas (9-1) 4. Mizzou (10-1) 5. Iowa (9-1) Both Iowa and Missouri lose their spots to Texas after they lost their games. Pittsburgh continues their undefeated season and will likely face Miami and get blown out in the Championship game, unless they lose Southern Miss(8-3) in their final game of the year.

[b]Week 13 Game VS New Mexico[/b] 16-3 at the half as New Mexico leads after kicking 3 field goals in the first half. Another field goal for NM makes it 19-3. TD for the Aztecs and 2-point conversion makes it 19-11, 3rd quarter(Normally I wouldn't do 2 point conversion, but I'm just doing it for fun... testing out plays). Another TD led by Pierce, who ended the scoring drive with a TD pass to TE Roberts. 2 point conversion no good. 19-17. 14:28 left in the game. We take a 20-19 lead on a 39 yard field goal. 3 minutes remaining in the game after a 7 minute drive. New Mexico drove down the field smoothly, but missed the game winning field goal from 39 yards out! But no! Flag on the play! New Mexico ball, Q4, 4-2-SDSU21 (00:31) 19-20 Anthony Hoernschemeyer misses the 39 yard field goal. It will be San Diego State ball at the SDSU 21 Holding against TE Nick Lewis on San Diego State. The Penalty is for 10 yards, and an automatic first down. The Offense will accept the penalty. It is now First and 10 at the San Diego State 11. Holding against the TE who was in on the play for whatever strange reason... 30 yard field goal is good this time around and that's the ball game... Damn. We fall to 3-7. We've lost 5 games this year by 4 points or less.. Next season we'll have to run a better 2 Minute Drill.

Archived