Coach Mau and his Career

We had no first team players this season... [b]2nd Teamers[/b] RB Sr Olszewski OT Sr Gil Shaw DE SR Rutkowski! He started the season as a backup and thanks to injuries and morons, he was able to shine in his last season. CB So Mark Ward - He actually probably won't start next season as there are more talented guys behind him. If they improve, Ward will be a backup. [b]3rd Team[/b] TE Sr Kevin Roberts FS So Carl Griffith DE Jr Preson Morgan - 1st teamer next year if he can get his head into the books.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[b]Evaluation on the 2007 Season[/b] Team Performance - D Talent - D Recruiting - D Board Expectations - B Prestige - C Overall - C- Our best season in my evaluation part. We easily exceeded the board's expectations. Maybe I can get a coaching offer somewhere this year. I don't know if I'd accept a job though. I am once again, getting to like my players. It will be a down year without a good running back next season though. I'll make my decision soon though.

[b]Job Offers:[/b] Arkansas State Akron Houston Cincinatti Kansas This is interesting. I definitely wouldn't do Arkansas St., Akron or Houston as they aren't very good at all by the looks of things. Kansas and Cincinatti are in better conferences, but on the lower end of them. Kansas has a good sophomore QB. Above average running backs and WR's. An offensive line comparable to ours. A defense also comparable to ours. Cinci's team is comparable to our team overall... It was a tough decision, but I'm going to stick around for another season or three depending on how my offers look then.

[b]Coaching[/b] It's obvious to me that one of our weaknesses is the developing skills of my coaches. They just aren't very well-rounded developers. I'm going to try finding better coaches once again this year. I'm offering SDSU Alum, Isaac Parker a $450,000(He wanted 500, but I don't have tons of money to offer) contract to coach our offense. He's a stellar coach and would be a very nice addition. He's fantastic at developing WR, RB, and offensive lineman. He can even scout them very well too! We offer Oscar Dixon a contract of $425,000, $75,000 less than what he wanted. I hope we get him. He's pretty good too! After one week, both of the coach's like our offer best, as we're the only ones to offer them anything. Same thing for Week 2. We get both coaches to sign! Nice. These are two good coaches, WAY better then my orange coaches in the past, that's for sure. [b]Transfers[/b] Defensive Ends from around the country notice our void at the DE position and they come flocking to our school showing high interest in transferring here. We offer the best of the three DE's who were Very interested in coming here. His name is Charlie Marion(3/7). OLB Jeff Brady(4/6) is also showing very high interest. He'd definitely be an upgrade to our linebacking core after Eason White went pro last year. In the end nobody came to our school. Bummer.

[b]Recruiting: Week One of Ten[/b] We've got 21 scholarships to hand out this year, and $63,000 to spend per week. After offering all 21 scholarships to three star players and a few 4 stars, we had no signings. Which is to be expected for the first few weeks. [b]Recruiting: Week Two of Ten[/b] The group of 10 interest players grew over the week, but nobody signed. Things are looking good right now. [b]Recruiting: Week Three of Ten[/b] One again no signings, but we're still holding lots of interest for twenty some players. We also didn't lose any our of currently recruited players this week once again. That's good news. [b]Recruiting: Week Four of Ten[/b] 25 players still interested in us, 10/10. And 10 others still very interested. Nobody signed. Nobody lost.

[b]Recruiting: Week Five of Ten[/b] I expected this week to be a big one in terms of signing and losing recruits... And I was definitely right to think that: [b]Signings:[/b] K Ben Ephraim DE Brian Dantzler DE Seth Triplett WR John Roche RB Rick Monroe (May be a good replacement for Olzsewski) RB Mike Denson (See Above this line) QB Don Mucker Recruited Lost: C Drew Rodriguez - Fresno State CB Josh Brown - Vanderbilt WR Anthony Parks - Utah State DE Ron Kacyvenski - Hawaii [b]Recruiting: Week Six of Ten[/b] I suspect this will be a bigger week in losing players than it will be signing them. I hope not, but I just have a feeling. [b]Signings[/b] OT Boobie Bland FS George Williams [b]Recruits Lost[/b] RB Joe Garner - Wash State OG Derek Villapiano - Utah OLB Lance Mularkey - Hawaii QB Sammy Smith - Utah State OG Kenneth Willis - Fresno State DT Maurice Roy - Fresno State That's a good amount of players lost, but they were all players that weren't offered scholarships or any effort. I was right though, we definitely lost more than we signed even though they were meaningless players. [b]Recruiting: Week Seven of Ten[/b] My prediction is we sign four players this week and lose a handful more. I'm still needing a few DT's to sign. There are a few 1 star players interested. But I'm better of with recruiting lots of DE's and moving them to DT. Sheesh. [b]Signings:[/b] WR Gary MacPherson DE Larry Clark DT Craig Jones Perfect. For two years down the road, we should be set on the D-Line. [b]Recruits Lost[/b] DT Irv White - Florida State OLB Antonio Gray - San Jose State TE Marques Richards - Wash State WR Larry Jones - Utah State SS James Rentzel - Fresno State SS Kevin Zorn - Utah Only three of these guys I really cared about, but even so, I can live with SS's and TE's.

[b]Recruiting: Week Eight of Ten[/b] Hmm.... I'm guessing we'll sign one or two players. Nothing too extravagent. We'll lose more than a handful as well. [b]Signings[/b] DE Anthony Adamson We've landed our fourth defensive lineman of the recruiting season, which is good. After last season I never want to be short again! [b]Lost[/b] WR Eric Brown - Florida State FB Andy Pinkston - Nevada-Las Vegas OT Herman Byrum - Washington SS Steve Alt - New Mexico ILB Bobby Manning - Fresno State TE Eric Johnson - New Mexico [b]Recruiting: Week Nine of Ten[/b] I need to sign a few OL before the time is up too. Players committing to San Diego State WR Erik Houston Players recruited that committed to other schools OT Don Murphy - Texas Tech OT Melvin Taylor - Purdue RB Harold Robinson - Maryland K Natrone Whitehead - San Jose State OT Tim Hand - California OT Terry Williams - Brigham Young WR Randy Baynham - Wake Forest [b]Recruiting: Week Ten of Ten[/b] Players committing to San Diego State FB Jim Williams WR Mike Hudson DE Mel Tonnemaker ILB Michael Dawkins DT Reyna Lewis Overall, I think it was a pretty good recruiting year. RB Mike Denson, 3-stars Westmont (Campbell, CA) National Rank: 867, Regional: 173, Position: 36 OT Boobie Bland, 3-stars Tennyson (Hayward, CA) National Rank: 595, Regional: 110, Position: 58 DE Larry Clark, 3-stars Williams (Williams, CA) National Rank: 527, Regional: 93, Position: 39 WR John Roche, 3-stars Phoenix (AZ), Soledad, CA, HS - CA National Rank: 666, Regional: 125, Position: 64 DE Mel Tonnemaker, 3-stars San Luis Obispo (San Luis Obispo, CA) National Rank: 1063, Regional: 231, Position: 64 WR Erik Houston, 3-stars Chadwick (Palos Verdes Pen., CA) National Rank: 548, Regional: 99, Position: 46 K Ben Ephraim, 3-stars Reseda (Reseda, CA) National Rank: 489, Regional: 84, Position: 17 DE Seth Triplett, 3-stars J.F. Kennedy (Granada Hills, CA) National Rank: 567, Regional: 103, Position: 42 DE Anthony Adamson, 3-stars Snow (UT), Atwater, CA, HS - CA National Rank: 492, Regional: 85, Position: 37 QB Don Mucker, 3-stars Bella Vista (Fair Oaks, CA) National Rank: 1381, Regional: 313, Position: 126 WR Gary MacPherson, 3-stars Pacific Grove (Pacific Grove, CA) National Rank: 667, Regional: 126, Position: 65 WR Mike Hudson, 3-stars Monta Vista (Cupertino, CA) National Rank: 790, Regional: 151, Position: 92 FB Jim Williams, 3-stars Arroyo Grande (Arroyo Grande, CA) National Rank: 749, Regional: 141, Position: 39 There were a few other signings as well, nothing too important. Just two stars and one stars.

[b]Pre Training[/b] We ranked as #61 in the recruiting this year. A step up from last season, but not our best yet as my first recruiting season landed us at #60 if I recall correctly. We're going to be in deep doo-doo at the running back position. We've got no one rated above a 1(out of 10!). Hopefully after training we'll be okay. Preston Morgan(2/2) doesn't look to be a starter this year, as he got worse over the summer. I got some nice DE/DT Freshmen. Lots of potentials of 5's and 6's. Watch out in a few years! In the secondary, we've got all orange players with potentials of four and five. Mostly five's. Last year we had two players with potentials of six, but not anymore. [b]Post Training and Depth Chart[/b] [b]Quarterback[/b] 1. Jr Dwight Garay(4/6), the transfer from last season will be starting this year. He went from 5/5 to 4/6 during the training. 2. Jr Delhomme(3/5) [b]Running Back[/b] 1. Fr Rick Monroe(2/4) - Low endurance and durability. May see Denson more than Monroe. 2. Fr Mike Denson (2/5) Monroe is a little further along than Denson at this point, but both will be getting equal amount of carries as the season progresses; most likely anyways. [b]Full Back[/b] 1. Sr Bill Banfield (4/6) 2. Sr Justin Griggs (3/4) [b]WR's[/b] 1. Sr John Tomich (7/10) - I half expect him to go Pro after this season. Actually, more than half expect. 2. Jr Garrett Hankton (3/5) 3. Jr John Roche (3/4) 4. So Bruce Pace (3/4) Tight End: 1. Brinker (5/6) 2. Hunter (1/2) The receivers beyond Hankton are all interchangeable basically, all rated three's. So we're deep with those types of receivers. [b]Offensive Line[/b] Starters, left to right: Fr Boobie Bland (2/7) Sr Carl Smith (6/7) Jr Ty Williams (4/6) Sr Kordell Posey (5/6) Fr Pat Boyd (2/5) [b]Defensive Line, left to right[/b] LDE Jr Anthony Adamson (4/5) NT Sr Preston Morgan (3/5) - He was 2/2 for some reason pre-training, went back to last year's totals RDE Fr Larry Clark (3/6) Clark, Triplett(2/6), Dantzer(2/5) are all pretty good, but Clark has developed nicely quickly, so he'll be starting this year while the other two freshman will be redshirting most likely. Or at least one of them. [b]Linebackers[/b] LOLB So Bert Woodson (3/5) ROLB Vince Tatum (2/4) MLB Zola Dean (4/6) MLB Johnny Wonsley (3/6) Backups: Jue(2/6), Lamb(2/4) [b]Secondary[/b] CB: 1. Jr Hakim (3/4) 2. Jr Williams (3/5) 3. So Pelle (3/5) Safety: 1. FS Jr Carl Griffith (4/5) 1. SS Jr Allen Harper (2/5) Kicker: 1. Fr Ephraim (5/8!) Nice. I like a good kicker. Punter: 1. Parent (4/5)

We went with the same recruiting service as last season.. The best in the West. We're going with Run n Gun and a 3-4 defense this year. [b]Scheduling[/b] We requested both home and away games for each team we offered: Duke (62) Baylor (53) Arizona St (51) Bowling Green (83) All four accepted the games.. So our schedule for the season is this: [b]Team Schedule[/b] 1 Arizona State - 2 at Baylor - 3 OPEN - 4 Nevada-Las Vegas - 5 at New Mexico - 6 at Wyoming - 7 OPEN - 8 Texas Christian - 9 Colorado State - 10 at Utah - 11 Brigham Young - 12 at Air Force - 13 Bowling Green - 14 OPEN - 15 Duke - [b]Red Shirts[/b] ILB Dawkins (1/5) DE Triplett (2/6) OG DeLong (2/6) WR Houston (2/5) QB Mucker (2/3) Team Breakdown: Freshmen - 21 Sophomores - 9 Juniors - 28 Seniors - 20

[b]Week One vs Arizona State[/b] ASU is favored by 17 points, but I honestly don't think it will be that bad. We've got a good team all around. Should be a good game. This is Garay's first start since he transferred to be an Aztec! Go Garay! We'll have to contain RB Jason Muncie(8/10) if we want to have a shot. [b]1st Quarter[/b] 7-0 following a fumble by RB Monroe :( Jeebuz.. Another fumble, he's benched. At least we recovered it this time, but still! Denson and Reese(2/3) will get the handoffs for now. [b]2nd Quarter[/b] 14-0 after another ASU TD. It's crazy. I just can't stop anything, they're not waaaaaay more talented than us, but they are a little bit. We just can't stop anything really, the runs, the 3rd and longs, nothing. Another TD after 3rd down and goal from the 8 yard line. 21-0 with 9 minutes to play in the half. Ephraim makes his first field goal(39 yards) try of his career as an Aztec. 21-3 with 5:31 left in the half. We end the half getting block on a field goal attempt from only 38 yards out. Dang. We moved the ball down the field quite nicely that time. We're playing a lot better now than in the first quarter. ASU QB Gill has yet to throw an incompletion, he's 13 of 13. That's insane. [b]3rd Quarter[/b] ASU starts out with the ball and goes for a quick six points to make it 28-3 early on in the 2nd half. DAngit. We go right back down the field and kick a 42 yard field goal, good. 28-6. With the 3rd quarter coming to an end we come up with an 11 play drive for 72 yards and a Garay to Tomich touchdown. 28-13 to start the 4th quarter. [b]4th Quarter[/b] 35-13 with 10 minutes to go. 4th and Goal on the 1 for ASU gets them a 1 yard touchdown catch. Bummer. That would have been a huge stop. Oh, well. The final score is 42-13. I didn't expect to win, really, but I didn't expect to lose this badly. We did play a lot better in the 2nd half, but after getting the touchdown to take a 35-13 lead it was officially over. After that nothing went well. A few good things came out of the game though. RB Denson had 12 carries for 82 yards. Tomich had 5 receptions for 104 yards and a TD. If Garay doesn't do better next week I'll have no problem starting Delhomme who at least was a little better than these numbers for the most part: 13/39 196 yards and a TD. I mean, I threw quite a bit mid range, but a lot of short range passes too. 0-1 for the season with a game @ Baylor coming up next.

[b]Week 2 @ Baylor(0-1)[/b] Baylor is favored to beat us by 8 this week. I expect to win this one quite easily by the looks of things. We're more talented on the offensive side of the ball. On defense we're practically identical. [b]1st Quarter[/b] After punting it back and forth, Baylor gets six points on a fumble returned for a TD. 7-0. 14-0. Baylor takes it in for a TD. Baylor takes advantage of a fumble by WR Hankton at mid field and got a field goal to make it 17-0. We're a turnover machine again this year. Fumble there fumble here, fumble everywhere. [b]2nd Quarter[/b] Another field goal for Baylor after an interception on Garay's first incompletion on the day. 20-0. 4th and Goal on the 2 for Baylor and they run it in for another TD. 27-0, 5 minutes remaining in half. What the he(ll)ck. Ah, craptastic. 30-0 at the half as Baylor caps the half with a 58 yard field goal. We're not doing awful, we're just not coming up with and 3rd down conversions when we most need them. Garay is doing better, 16/24 with 135 yards and a pick. [b]2nd Half[/b] A 39 yard TD pass to Bruce Pace gives us our first points of the game, 30-7 to start the 2nd half. [b]4th Quarter[/b] 30-15 with 12 minutes remaining in the game. Garay connected to WR Kennedy for a score from 5 yards out, 2 point conversion is good. A huge safety allows us to pull within 13 points with 9:50 minutes to go! After the free kick it is our ball at mid field!! Wooohooo. Let's go O! Denson catches his 5th ball of the afternoon and takes it 33 yards for the score!!! 30-24 with 8 minutes to play! And we've got a ball game! PACHOW! Anthony Adamson with a sack on 3rd and 11 to force a punt. 3 and Out and 1st and 10 for us on our 34 yard line. 6:23 to go in the game. A big play coming up with 5:39. It's 3rd and 1 at the baylor 43 yard line. We gotta keep it on the ground here I'd say. 3rd and 1 - Loss of 1. 4th and 2 - We go for it. A quick out to the receiver, John Roche, he hauls it in and picks up 10 yards! Fiiiiiirst dooown! FUMBLLLEEE, Garay fumbles it on the Baylor 16 yard line after a nice gain for a first down... Baylor Ball with 4:16 remaining. We're still alive, but our hearts just sank a mile. A great defensive series as we get the ball back with 2:43 remaining on our 36 yard line. Time to roll, baby! A 3rd down conversion for us. 1st and 10 at our 48 yard line with 1:52 to go. 1st and 10 - Shotgun, screen... Gain of 5 2nd and 5 - Shotgun, medium pass, curl. Tomich can't bring it in. That was Garay's 58th pass of the day. 3rd and 5 - Single back, screen...Sacked! 4th and 10 - 1:08 to go. Post play, PASS INTERFERENCE, first down and 10 with 56 seconds to go. Ball on the Baylor 45 yard line. I'm shakin' here ladies and gentlemen. 1st n 10 - 14 yard pass play, time out! 44 seconds to go. 31 yard line. 1st n 10 - Incomplete 2nd n 10 - 1st and 10, 12 yard gain!!!! 1st n 10 - 31 seconds to go, 19 yard line - 8 yard gain! 23 seconds to go! Timeout called. Our last. 2nd n 2 - Incomplete in the end zone.. In and out of Pace's hands. 3rd n 2 - Incomplete again. Oooooh, crap. Last play of the game coming up! 4th n 2 - Shotgun, TE Ins, Med-Pass, 11 yard line - The snap, back the pass... Looking, looking...Incomplete.. BALL GAME. Baylor wins a thriller. 30-24. MMMMMMAAAAANNNNNNN. We were losing 30-0 at the half. What a game. Garay was 42 of 65!!!! for 384 yards, 3 TDs, 1 interception. Man. What a game. I didn't want to run the ball, and I'm glad I didn't. It was a helluva game. Wow. Wow. Wow. I'm just glad the bug that I caught didn't ruin my game. Baylor punted on 4th down and downed it. But the next play it was 1st and 10 for baylor. The game log skipped 4th down and it was their ball. But we stopped them anyawys, but still, I could've used those 2 minutes that Baylor had the ball for. I'd post more, but I have to go.

[b]Week 3[/b] Off. [b]Week 4 vs UNLV(1-1)[/b] UNLV is favored by four points. I doubt they'll come close to losing by that amount. I doubt Garay will come close to his 65 attempts from last game, but he'll still have a good game against UNLV's suspect secondary. The Rebels' offense isn't that good either, not good enough to keep up with ours; I think, I hope. [b]1st Quarter[/b] UNLV gets held to a field goal after a nice start, 3-0. Our first play of the game is a 9 yard pass to Tomich who fumbled it into the arms of UNLV. Our defense made a nice stop again holding the Rebels to another field goal. 6-0. NO more stupid plays! The rest of the quarter is a bunch of punting. [b]2nd Quarter[/b] We begin the second quarter in the middle of a drive, 2 plays 19 yards so far. 1st and 10 our 43 yard line. Nothing came out of that drive. We tie up the game with a 6 play, 55 yard drive, and a 2 yard TD by FB Banfield. Ephraim misses his first extra point.. Better be his last. 6-6 with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd Q. We get pushed way back in our territory and eventually get saftied... 8-6 and now it's UNLV's ball on our 23 yard line after a nice return. The Rebels close out the half with a 51 yard field goal, 11-6, halftime. [b]3rd Quarter[/b] 17-6(missed the 2-point conv.) as UNLV scores a TD. Argh. Stupid mistakes made us punt away the ball and now we can't stop a measly running game. Pathetic. The rest of the quarter goes quietly scoreless. 17-6 our ball to start the 4th at midfield'ish. [b]4th Quarter[/b] With 10 minutes in the game, we finally get somethign to happen on 2nd and 25 following a tripping penalty. Garay connects to Tomich for 76 yards out for six. 17-12, 2 point pending. We decide to just kick the extra point, 17-13. UNLV, 3 and out on their drive. First play, play action pass deep again to Tomich; we caught the defense on their heels again as we connect 73 yards this time, but fall six yards short of the end zone. 1st and Goal. 3rd and Goal and four yards closer, we try running the ball. Unsuccessful. Field goal is good. 17-16 with 6 minutes to go. 3 and out again for the Rebels. Our ball, 5:20 left. We keep it on the ground for the first two plays with Denson, he run for 4 yards and 21 yards before we went back to the air with the accurate arm of Garay. But the ball went back to Denson on a screen pass that goes for 22 yards for another first down. 1st and 10 on the 27 yard line with just over three minutes to play. On what looked to be a broken play, Pace got open on a post for a 21 yard gain! 1st and Goal again! Run-run-run, to make sure I don't throw a pick.. but we're the Fumbilitis Aztecs.... Hmm.. 1st and Goal - 3 yard run. 2nd and Goal - 2 yard gain. 3rd and Goal on the 1 - TOUCHDOWN, Monroe, the 3rd down back. 2 point conversion is good! 24-17 with just under two minutes to play in the game. A few plays later, 1st and 10 at mid field for UNLV. 1 minute to go. 2nd and 10 3rd and 10 - 1st down. Later on... 2nd and 10 at the 34 yard line with 44 seconds to go. 3rd and 6, with 36 seconds left. Picked off Vincent Tatum, he returns it 36 yards, 1st and 10 with 20 seconds to play.... Boom! That's the ball game. Another come back that we actually won! Yay. 1-0 in the conference, 1-2 overall. A hell of a game by Garay who led this team once again, this time to victory. We outgained their offense 472 to 322. Goody good. Garay was 27 of 43 for 402 with a TD and INT. Another impressive game as he had a good completion %. Denson was solid on the ground - 15 carries for 79 yards. Tomich(POG) showing off his studliness with 7 catches and 189 yards with a TD. We've got New Mexico at their house. I plan on whomping these guys as we got whupped by 'em last season. They ruined a better bowl game, in which we could've faced an easier opponent(:) )

[b]Week Five @ New Mexico[/b] Can we expect another nice performance by Garay? Likely. We'll have to stop RB Herschel Prebola(6/7) if we want to win. He's a runner. [b]1st Quarter[/b] It took two minutes for UNM to get a touchdown. 7-0. We come back a few possessions later with a 23 yard touchdown pass from Garay to Denson. 7-7 midway through the first quarter. We seem to always be the victim of 50+ yard field goal makes. 52 yard field goal is good. 10-7 UNM [b]2nd Quarter[/b] Another FG for the Lobos, this time from only 46 yards out. 13-7 early on in the 2nd quarter. We come back with a field goal, 47 yarder. 13-10 with 7 minutes to play in the half. New Mexico gets lucky and moves their way down the field for a touchdown as we near the end of the half. 1 minute to go. 20-10. [b]3rd Quarter[/b] Ut-oh. 27-10. New Mexico puts together a solid drive. Could we jsut not be that good of a team? Or is this a setup for another comeback for a good finish? After 8 straight runs and three first downs, we freeze the defense with a 23 yard play action pass for a TD, Garay to Roche. 27-16(seriously..another missed EP. I may be better off going for two every time, eh?). Halfway through the 3rd. Ouch. A fumble by reliable Denson allows a short drive for New Mexico which results in a touchdown. 34-16. That hurts a little. Time to start the 4th quarter, too. Too late. Thanks to a missed tackle, we were able to score quickly, 66 yard TD to Kennedy. We're goin' for two....Well, maybe not. 34-23. We just can't stop the New MExico offense. 41-23 with 11 minutes to play in the game. 52 yard FG for NM again, 44-23. And that will be the final. We fall to 1-1 on the season in conference play and 1-3 overall. What a bugger. I think I should have been a beta tester. :)

[b]Week Six @ Wyoming(1-2)[/b] It looks to be a make or break week for us. If we lose we aren't standing too well and will likely need to win out to get a bowl bid, but if we win we can afford to lose another one down the road. Let's win! One-two-three, break! [b]1st Quarter[/b] After a long smooth drive it ends on a Denson fumble on the 6 yard line. We get the ball back and go back down the field and this time settle for three points on a Ephraim field goal. 3-0 [b]2nd Quarter[/b] After a turnover we were able to hold the Wyoming offense to another punt in which we took right back down the field for another three points. 6-0. The rest of the half is quiet besides a big interception for Tatum on our 16 yard line. 6-0 still. [b]3rd Quarter[/b] Some mistackling later, Wyoming finally got on the board after a 35 yard touchdown pass. 6-6 after a missed extra point, we're midway through the 3rd. We answer back with a touchdown of our own, Garay to Tomich, 32 yard strike. 13-6. Garay has been really special for us, I feel, so far this season... Ever since that 65 pass attempt game against Baylor. Wyoming comes right back with a touchdown as well. 13-12(another missed extra point.. hmm.. lol thanks). No defense on that drive after quite the game up to that point(150 yards before that drive, now 221.). [b]4th Quarter[/b] Mike Denson making it real easy to forget about Olszewski from the previous seasons. Coming into today, Denson was averaging 5.05 yards per carry and today he's got 24 carries for 149 yards so far! Yah. Impressive for a 2/5 guy. Another run, 16 yards this time to set up first and goal on the six yard line. Dwight Garay capitalizes the drive with a TD to WR Pace. 20-12 with 9 minutes to play. Just when it seemed to be over on 3rd and 23 for Wyoming on the 11 yard line convert a first down on a 27 yard slant. Dammmn.. Still 1:48 to go, now nearing mid field. But in the end defense stepped it up and got a pick to close out the game. 20-12 final. We go to 2-1 in conf. play and 2-3 overall. Garay was 17 of 23 with 217 yards, 2 TDs and an INT. Denson had 32 carreis for 174 yards. No touchdowns. Also to catches for 69 yards. Tomich 5 catches for 77 yards and a TD. We had five sacks as a team, and DE Clark had two of them.

[b]Week Seven - Open[/b] Utah is 5-0 and ranked 23rd at this point. And won again this week for 6-0 and are ranked 14th now! Nice! That will be a huge game in a few weeks. [b]Week Eight vs TCU (3-2)[/b] TCU favored by 18 in this one. I don't know, it won't be that bad though I don't think. Garay has been playing real well since his first game so I don't see how he won't keep us in the game along. Denson is hot as well. So we've got a good as shot as anybody. Heck they lost to UNLV last week, who we beat. [b]1st Quarter[/b] After -6 yards gained for TCU, we get the ball back and move right down the field for a quick three points. We were held short on third and five with a 3 yard pass gain. 3-0. TCU basically went down the field with so much ease that there was nothing I could even do to stop them. 7-3. To end the 1st quarter we're sitting on TCU's 41 yard line with 2nd and 5 to go. [b]2nd Quarter[/b] Kennedy receives a 5 yard touchdown pass from Garay to take the lead back, 10-7. It was a 13 play, 74 yard drive with Denson getting 20 yards on the ground. We were able to come up with a big stop in the red zone against TCU who eventually settled for three. 10-10 with two to play in the half. After an awful series to start the half(started on the 5 yard line after a 7 yard return), in which we got one first down before punting it 27 yards with a return of 17 and a face mask to give TCU the ball on our 14 yard line. They score on the first play for 17-10 lead. Denson's 5th lost fumble on the season lets TCU return it 36 yards for the TD. Damn. It's time to rely on Garay's arm the rest of the game. 24-10. Thankfully we were able to come down the field and get a field goal from 47 yards out. Whew. 24-13 with 7:30 to go in the 3rd. [b]4th Quarter[/b] 31-13 with 14 minutes to go. Our defense has given up. :( So has our return team apparently, who fumbled the return. Miraculously they missed the FG from 23 yards out. A 40 yard pass catch is cancelled out as Roche fumbled the ball which was returned 59 yards deep into our territory. Time to fast forward this game. :( 38-13 final score. Awful. Considering we were in it to start the 4th quarter, practically. A few ugly passes by Garay and fumbles by everyone else. We lost three fumbles..maybe four. I'll have to look after the week sim. Three lost fumbles, three interceptions for SIX stinkin' turnovers. All of them were very costly as they were either deep in opponents territory our really deep in ours. Gaawd. We need to get back on track with Colorado State before we face an undefeated, 12th ranked Utah team. We go to 2-2 in Conf, and 2-4 overall.

[b]Week 9 vs Colorado St.[/b] [b]1st Quarter[/b] Another lost fumble for Denson puts him on the bench and will give Monroe some playing time. CSU got a field goal after only gaining two yards on their drive, thanks of course to Denson's fumble. We went down the field and tied it right back up at 3-3. [b]2nd Quarter[/b] Tomich received a pass from Garay from 11 yards out to complete the 5 play 44 yard drive for the TD. 10-3. CSU answers back with a TD of their own. 10-10. We just couldn't stop the run that drive, we kept expecting pass, pass, pass, but never got ONE single ball thrown. A 33-yard Ephraim field goal gives us the lead right back at 13-10 with 3:30 left to go in the half. Meh. TD CSU after another awful defensive series. 17-13 with not much time left to go in the half. A 9 play 73-yard drive ends with a 33 yard field goal for us to make it 17-16. 24-16 as CSU gets another TD. 4th quarter coming soon.. [b]4th Quarter[/b] Our 8 play, 58 yard drive ends in a 50 yard field goal for Ephraim! His fourth FG on the day. 24-19 now, with 12 minutes to go. 30-19 now after the unstoppable Rams drive. 2 point conversion no good. 7 minutes to play in the game. The final score is 33-19 as we lose a big game. That pretty much seals up the season as a losing season unless we win out. 2-5 now, with 2-3 conference record. Pathetic season so far. We are way better than this, but nothing is clicking. Things aren't going to get much better against a 6-1 Utah team who just lost to 5-2 TCU. Both those teams should be ranked at week's end. And TCU almost is, but they are ranked 24 in the computer ratings, whilst Utah is 17.

[b]Week 10 vs 6-1 Utah[/b] We probably won't stand a chance against this good all around team. [b]1st Quarter[/b] 7-0, Utah after a 3rd and 17 conversion. Ugh. We come back after Denson carried the ball 3 times for 39 yards which allowed us to kick a field goal. 7-3. Utah comes back down with three of their own. 10-3, first quarter nearing the end. [b]2nd Quarter[/b] After Denson's 55 yard run, Garay threw a pick allowing Utah to go down the field again to score three more. 13-3. The half ends with the score still, 13-3. We missed a 40 yard field goal that would have helped big time, but no. [b]3rd Quarter[/b] We can't stop Utah as they score a touchdown, 20-3 midway through the 3rd. We were finally able to capitalize a drive with a touchdown, 20-9 after a missed extra point. Ugh. Right back down the field Utah goes, 27-9 at the end of the 3rd. [b]4th Quarter[/b] The final score is 34-12. Denson had a good game, but only because of three runs. A 55 yard gain, a 39 yard gain, and a 22 yard gain, which gave him three carries for 116 yards while the rest of the game he had 14 carries for 21 yards. Total of 17 carries for 139 yards. He was ineffective more often than not, so it was tough to keep running with him while we were behind. Freshman DE Dantzler picked up two sacks on the day. Nothing else worth bringing up. We've got BYU, Air Force, and Bowling Green to finish out the season. We're now 2-6 with no hope for anything.

[b]Week 11 vs 5-3 BYU[/b] [b]1st Half[/b] After some horrible plays, like a 75 yard fumble recovery returned for a TD for BYU allowed them to take a lead into halftime, 26-13. Denson is still running well, 12 carries for 90 yards. [b]2nd Half[/b] The second half went even worse as we were shut out while BYU still scored a crap load on us. The final score was 44-13. [b]Week 12 @ Air Force[/b] The expectations from the board were not to get blown out by Air Force. Air Force isn't good enough to blow us out, let alone beat us. [b]1st Half[/b] I guess Air Force is lucky, but both touchdowns were on account of our mistakes on offense, like usual. 20-10, AF at the half. [b]2nd Half[/b] We start the half with a TD to make it 20-17. Three field goals for us allow us to take a 26-20 lead with a minute to go in the game and our defense came up with two sacks to finish it off. A shutout in the 2nd half. Nicely done, defense. QB Garay - 16/29, 226 yards, 1 TD. he finally didn't throw a pick. RB Denson - 18 carries, 96 yards, 1 TD. WR Tomich - 8 catches, 71 yards. DE Dantzler - Two sacks for consecutive weeks. DE Clark - 1 sack, total of 9 on the season. He may get first team all conference.

[b]Week 13 vs 3-6 Bowling Green[/b] Utah is 9-1 and ranked 10th. Way to represent! [b]1st Half[/b] 3-0 early on, Aztecs lead. 3-3 at the half. [b]2nd Half[/b] Garay connects to Tomich for a TD. 10-3, Aztecs Another Ephraim FG, 43 yarder. 13-3. 19 yard field goal, Ephraim. 16-3. 16-10 to start the 4th quarter. 16-13, our lead with 7 minutes to play. That would be the final as we win 16-13. That's a good way to end the season, on a 2-game win streak. Hopefully we can continue that next season!

[b]2008 Stats[/b] Our 2008 was quite a dissappointment, but that's to be expected as a head coach. Our conference is tough with oppenents like TCU and Utah who threaten to be a top 25 team every year. I hope we become a force like them soon. Garay wasn't as good as I had hoped. He still has one more year with us and will for sure be playing QB again next season unless a miracle occurs. Delhomme will continue to be his backup. Denson could be a pretty good back if he'd just hold onto the ball. He lost 7 fumbles, but that was the price to pay as he averaged over 5 yards a carry. It's funny, Monroe was slated as the starter to start the season, but after a quick fumble in the first game Denson got to show what he's made of. Monroe averaged 3.5 ypc and only had ONE fumble. His only fumble came in the first few minutes of our season opener. I probably could have had more faith in him but Denson just showed more spark. We hope very much that Tomich doesn't go pro, but I wouldn't blame him if he did. He ended up with almost 900 yards and 5 TDs on 64 receptions. You can find the rest of the season stats listed in this word document. I find this to be the easiest way to show everyone the stats.

[b]Week 15 vs 2-8 Duke[/b] I completely forgot about this game, and will post the end of season stats afterward. [b]1st Half[/b] 17-0 at the end of the first quarter, Duke leads. We've got two turnovers already, early on. Both within our own 20 yard line. I expect us to come back and win still. [b]2nd Half[/b] Another fumble within our own 20 allows another TD. 24-3, Duke. LOL Horrible game. 31-3 following a 66 yard TD. Unreal. The final is 31-10. Just by memory, I think we had five turnovers, three fumbles, two interceptions. Duke is awful, I guess we are even worse! The end of season stats will only make the stats we have look worse than they already are, so I'll let the previous post's Stats be the only ones I show you. This game was awful. Neither team gained over 300 yards. We finish the season 4-8. I DECIDED TO ADD THE SEASON STATS. Here they are....

[b]2008 Season Awards[/b] The MWC [b]Freshman of the Year[/b] goes to: DE Larry Clark of San Diego State U. Clark had 10 sacks this season! [b]MWC 1st Team:[/b] Sr OG Carl Smith Fr DE Larry Clark [b]2nd Team:[/b] Jr FS Carl Griffith Fr Punter Karsten Parent [b]3rd Team:[/b] Jr QB Dwight Garay Jr WR John Tomich Jr C Ty Williams Ah, well. We failed pretty badly this year. It will be easy to top this season next year, without a doubt.

[b]2008 Post season[/b] #6Utah finished their season with a win, but not a GDCS Bowl Game win. They defeated #23 Arizona State 31-16. I suspect they'll finish #4 when all is said and done. BYU Defeated New Mexico St. Colorado St lost. #24 TCU beat Arizona UNLV lost to Miss. St bad. [b]Evaluation[/b] Team Performance: D Talent: D Recruiting: C Board Expectations: C Prestige: C Ovearll: D Well, what can I say? We sucked. I got the grades I should've gotten. *sniffle* Don't fire me.

[b]Job Offers[/b] Air Force wants us to coach them next season. I'm not going to take it for sure as I don't want to make a lateral move to the same conference. Temple Owls also want to hire me. It would be interesting taking them on, but I'm declining that as well. My career record as a coach is now 18-28 with one bowl appearance, which we lost. Our defensive coordinator who was damn good has opted out of his contract to look elsewhere. That's sad news, so now we need to find another one. We took a step up in the coaching vacancy and got someone who's barely better than Dixon from last season. Billy Thomas is Yellow in a few categories, but Green in most of them including, Defensive Gameplanning, Scout DL, Scout DB, Develop LB. [b]Transfer Weeks:[/b] We offer to a TE and QB. Both potentials of 6 and will both be sophomores for my team two seasons from now when they're eligible to play. We sign none of them. On to recruiting!

[b]Recruiting - Week 1 of 10:[/b] We spent the whole first week scouting players. We've made no recruiting pitches at all, just scouting the majority of the most interested players. [b]Week 2 of 10:[/b] No signings. We started the recruiting process this week, scoping out the more interested players first, then we worked our way down to the rest of the guys who were interested, but not as much. Now for an amazing coincidence. I just moved to a little town called Little Chute, WI. What are the chances that I get a player that is very interested in my school from the same city? Insane in the membrane. Anyhow, I offered him a scholarship despite he is only a 2 star player. No signings during week 2. [b]Week 3 of 10:[/b] No signings. This week will be the same as last week, minus a few changes in scholarship offers depending on interest. [b]Week 4 of 10:[/b] I'm hoping for a few signings this week. I'm surprised Mike Denson's buddy from a national camp hasn't signed with us. He sent an email about his interest, but he still hasn't signed on. He's only a 2 star, but he'll be fine for us. Email: John Tomich did not declare for the draft and will be playing his senior year with us. I expect a huge season out of him! 1500 yards!!! No signings this week. [b]Week 5 of 10:[/b] Players committing to San Diego State CB Kaipo Woodson (3 Star) Players recruited that committed to other schools OT Ronde Copeland - Wisconsin OG Karl Saimes - Utah SS Rueben McFarland - Hawaii C Jed Machurek - Arizona State TE Ken Adkins - Hawaii OLB Gene Ulbrich - Utah State FB Anquan Williams - Fresno State We lost a good amount of players this week to other schools, but most of them weren't recruited, just scouted.

Archived