WWF 1989: Sports Entertainment Comes Alive

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/angeldelayetteposter.jpg

[The year is 1989 and we are more than halfway through the year when Vince McMahon gets a revelation. He goes to and speaks with the members who run the USA network. What if they ran a television show live on the USA network every Monday night instead of the taped one they have always run? WWF Prime Time Wrestling live each and every week where anything can and does happen. This means that nobody knows ahead of time the results of the matches. This means that there are no second takes, no second chances. The man who put it all on the line when he created WrestleMania would be putting it all on the line again. Could a live pro wrestling show survive in 1989? All other shows for the moment are suspended, including Wrestling Challenge and Superstars of Wrestling, as the complete focus is on this new Prime Time Wrestling. The landscape of professional wrestling is about to change.

The change begins with the arrival of the new live Prime Time Wrestling and continues with pay-per-view events each and every month, including WWF's Backlash on the last Sunday of September. The mood is about to change. Will this be a success or will this bring the World Wrestling Federation to its knees?]

OOC NOTE:

This diary will have a prediction contest. However, it will be slightly different from my USPW American Wrestling diary. The difference is that there won't be any 24 hour warning or anything like that. I will be posting the shows as soon as I have them written up so the card prediction list is basically the 24 hour warning. I will wait at the very least 24 hours before posting the card. It could be longer. It could be a lot longer. But I just wanted to give everyone a head's up on this first post.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING

Monday Week 1 September 1989

Andre the Giant vs. Barry Horowitz

The Bolsheviks (Nikolai Volkoff and Boris Zhukov) vs. Demolition (Ax and Smash)

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (Jacques Rougeau and Raymond Rougeau) vs. The Young Stallions (Jim Powers and Paul Roma)

The Twin Towers vs. The Bushwackers

Bad News Brown vs. Jake 'The Snake' Roberts

Rick Martel vs. Ronnie Garvin

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match: 'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan defends vs. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage

If these are really bad please forgive me :)

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (Jacques Rougeau and Raymond Rougeau) vs. The Young Stallions (Jim Powers and Paul Roma)

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match: 'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan defends vs. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage

I have no real knowledge about WWE from this time so these are complete guesses.

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING

An easy win for the Giant I would hope, the only way Horowitz is going to win this one is by a DQ and that will only be if Andre just refuses to stop beating the living daylights out of him and I can't see Andre being that stupid.

Demolition are dominating around this time period so would expect them to pick up the win.

This is the toughest match to call out of this card as it really depends on which direction you are going to go with Paul Roma because Roma to me was at his best in Power and Glory with Hercules. I'm going to go with The Rougeaus as I prefer them as a team and were underated.

Any easy win for the Towers as not a fan of the bushwhackers and they should win this for the simple reason that Slick has one of the best theme tunes ever. Silly reason I know but just like the towers better in any case.

A DDT will be the difference in this match

Martel should pick up the win here as not a huge fan of Garvin

Cant see Hogan losing in the first show but maybe a DQ finish here to set up the PPV but i'm going to go for a Hogan win with some interference possibly from Zeus.

Andre. The most one sided affair in WWF history.

The Bolsheviks are very much jobbers to the stars by now, and Demolition is white hot.

If you push the Stallions over the Rougeaus, I will revolt!

I'm going with Bushwackers via DQ. The Towers will obviously be better for you in the long term, but the 'Wackers will probably be useful for you as long as you let them be.

Poor Bad News never quite made it to the main event, although he had some fueds with the top guys. You could probably get him up there, but keeping The Snake strong is safer.

Rugged Ronnie is living on his short NWA World title riegn for years at this point, The Model was a great gimmick as well.

I call shenanigans. Although would be one heck of a bang to start out a new live TV show with to have the World Title change hands on the show.

Will make one note here, I don't think it was wise to kill off the other two shows. Maybe it's just how I play TEW, but I think everyone NEEDS to have a good B-show in order to build up the young guys without having them bomb out the main show. But, it's your game, that's just my two cents. Anyways, on with the predictions.

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING

Barry doesn't even BEGIN to stand a chance in this one.

There really is just no mileage at all in the Russians. Expecting Arn and Tully to show during and/or after this one.

Much like above, there's really just nothing all that great to the Stallions, especially since you have the Rockers kicking around.

TOWERS SMASH~

Though I will admit, I wouldn't mind at all seeing Bad News as like a dark horse of this diary... someone completely out of the blue to get a nice little push.

UNlike earlier, there is a lot of mileage in Rick Martel. He's a guy who, once the title drifts away from guys like Warrior, could be someone you can build the IC division around. Do so, and you definitely will have a reader here :) (PS: Not like you wouldn't anyways)

The real question is how will live TV react to the really coked out sounding interviews that guys like Hogan and Savage used to deliver when there's no filter?

I've got two words for you: One sided!

Either Hogan retaining or a screwed finish that some how will end up in a draw.

Of course I'm in ;)

Draw

I'd love for one more title run out of the legend.

Demolition should be the dominant tag team until LOD show up.

Jim Powers and Paula Roma could have been really entertaining as singles wrestlers I think well into the 90s if booked well.

The Bushwackers were nothing more than jobbers for the most part.

Jake the Snake Roberts would be in the HOF now if he wasn't a drug addict. Hope you can get him clean and keep him that way.

Rick Martel was a great heel in this time period.

Hulk Hogan is the immortal! I was a Hulkamaniac at this time. Hogan will run this diary for a bit and he should.

This is the toughest match to call out of this card as it really depends on which direction you are going to go with Paul Roma because Roma to me was at his best in Power and Glory with Hercules. I'm going to go with The Rougeaus as I prefer them as a team and were underated.

Power & Glory vs The Orient Express! Classic tag team wrestling.

In fact my friend, if you haven't got Hercules, hire him at the same time as Akio Sato and Pat Tanaka (Kato was okay, I guess) and make this feud happen :D

Power & Glory vs The Orient Express! Classic tag team wrestling.

In fact my friend, if you haven't got Hercules, hire him at the same time as Akio Sato and Pat Tanaka (Kato was okay, I guess) and make this feud happen :D

Hercules was around at this time, so im guessing hes in, i've got a really old video tape of The Orient Express (Kato and Tanaka) vs Power and Glory and it was an enjoyable match with both teams cheating which ended in a double disqualification but something like that would be good as well. I'm hoping that somewhere down the line Power and Glory end up together in this but not right away :)

Thanks for the predictions so far everyone. The show of support really does mean the world to me.

As far as Power & Glory goes, I will be the first to admit that they had one of the best tag team finishers of all time in the PowerPlex. Will they become a part of this incarnation of the WWF? Only time will tell.

Didn't actually notice this had started... hence the PM!

D'oh!

Anyway...

Andre may be winding down but he's not going to go without a fight... the biggest star in the world (literally and figuratively) is not about to lose to Barry Horrowitz - I don't care if the entire roster jump him before, after and during the match. Andre.

Here comes the Ax. Here comes the Smasher!

Mountie > Power & Glory

Number Two heel team have to be kept strong against comedy JTTS

Stiff Fest! It won't be easy for the Snake but he gets the win

Both men were involved in looooooong feuds at this point... I hope they're dispensed with quicker here than they were in reality.

No contest. Can't see Hogan dropping the belt at this first show (particularly as there's no one free for Savage to feud with at the top of the card) but at the same time you can't be jobbing out Randy again! Say it ain't so! Draw.

Will make one note here, I don't think it was wise to kill off the other two shows. Maybe it's just how I play TEW, but I think everyone NEEDS to have a good B-show in order to build up the young guys without having them bomb out the main show. But, it's your game, that's just my two cents. Anyways, on with the predictions.

I can be honest and say that the real reason why I killed the other two shows was so that I only had one show to book per week. That's just easier on me in the long run and to make this a long-run diary. I based it, also, kind of on SWF and TCW in the Cornellverse in that they only have one show a week as well so I knew it couldn't be too bad, right? And I do have a different way to build the younger guys. I signed USWA as a developmental territory.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/PrimeTimePoster.jpg

WWF PRIME TIME WRESTLING

Attendance: 10,000

Overall Rating: B+

TV Rating: 6.20

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/randysavage5.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/sherrimartel.jpg

[The first ever live World Wrestling Federation Prime Time Wrestling is held at the Arena at Harbor Yard. The crowd stands on their feet as the camera pans around them and fireworks explode at the top of the entrance ramp. Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse 'The Body' Ventura welcome everyone to WWF Prime Time Wrestling. They are interrupted by the music of the Macho Man Randy Savage! Randy and Sensational Sherri come out walking right to the ring. The Macho Man has a major match tonight as he has a shot at the WWF World Heavyweight title! Randy Savage is given a microphone and he paces around the ring for a moment before raising the microphone.]

Randy Savage

"Ohhhhhh YEAH! The first ever live WWF Prime Time Wrestling, yeah. That means the Macho Man is uncensored and unedited right here tonight. Not only that but WWF President Jack Tunney has wisened up and decided to give the Macho Man a World title shot to kick things off, yeah! Hulk Hogan, Macho Madness is running wild through my veins, yeah! The Macho Madness is even more powerful than Hulkamania! Tonight you are going to find that.."

['I am a real American

Fight for the rights of every man.

I am a real American

Fight for what's right

Fight for your life!']

Randy Savage

"What in the...?"

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/hulkhogan5.jpg

[The Macho Man is interrupted by the music of the WWF World Heavyweight Champion! The crowd goes absolutely wild at the presence of the one and only Immortal Hulk Hogan! Hulk stops at the top of the ramp and poses! He points toward the ring and Randy Savage. Randy drops the microphone and looks right toward Hulk Hogan. Hulk walks down and pauses halfway to the ring, cupping his ear and listening to the sounds of the crowd. The cheering only gets louder for the man known as Immortal! As Hogan poses, he gets attacked from behind!]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/zeus.jpg

[it's Zeus! Zeus grabs Hogan in a reverse bear hug! Hogan tries to struggle against the might of Zeus but Zeus will not let go! Savage climbs to the top turnbuckle -- flying double axehandle! The crowd boos as Savage and Zeus double-team Hogan. Hogan is left laying on the floor outside the ring as officials come out and break things up, eventually helping Hogan to the back.]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/WWF.jpg

Match #1

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/andre.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/BobbyHeenan11.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/VS.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/barryhorowitz2.jpg

[The crowd boos as Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan leads out the man known as Andre the Giant. Barry Horowitz is already in the ring and got a decent reaction from the crowd. Andre entered the ring and Horowitz went right after him with punches and kicks. Horowitz tried a dropkick but Andre no-sold it all! He took down Horowitz with a headbutt and then a body slam. Andre dominated Horowitz throughout this match. He squashes him in the corner and then hooks his arms around him in a Bear Hug! Horowitz struggles but submits fairly quickly as Bobby 'The Brain' smiles at ringside.]

Winner: Andre the Giant (Via Submission @ 5:20)

Match Rating: C+

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/randysavage5.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/hulkhogan5.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/zeus.jpg

[A replay video is shown of exactly what occured as we opened the program. Randy Savage was interrupted by Hulk Hogan but Hogan was attacked by Zeus. Zeus and Savage beat down Hogan so badly that he had to be helped to the back by officials. Will he be well enough to face Randy Savage later on tonight?]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/BobbyHeenan11.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/arnanderson3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/tullyblanchard.jpg

[We head now to a pre-taped interview showing the World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Champions The Brainbusters along with their manager Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan.]

Bobby Heenan

"Demolition, what you are looking at is the best tag team in the world today. You're looking at two members of the Bobby Heenan Family: The Brainbusters. Nobody thought we had a chance against you, Demolition but we won these titles fair and square. Now at the next pay-per-view Backlash, you two are going to get your last title shots at us for a very long time. You've got to go to the back of the line after Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard beat you once again."

[bobby pats his two men on the shoulders and we head to the ring.]

Match #2

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/boriszhukov.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/nikolaivolkoff.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/VS.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/ax.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/smash.jpg

[The Bolsheviks came down to the ring and began singing the Russian National Anthem. However, that was interrupted by the entrance of Demolition. Ax and Smash hit the ring and they were dominant over Volkoff and Zhukov. Demolition used frequent tags and double teams to keep the two Russians down. Ax hooked Zhukov in a backbreaker over his knee and stretched him out until he submitted to give the former WWF World Tag Team Champions a big victory here.]

Winners: Demolition (Via Submission @ 5:35)

Match Rating: B-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/ultimatewarrior.jpg

[The action cuts backstage to a locker room where the man known as The Ultimate Warrior is pacing back and forth. He slams his fists against one of the lockers before turning to look at the camera. He snarls and growls at the camera, flexing his muscles.]

The Ultimate Warrior

"Come to me...WARRIORS! You need to listen and listen good to the words and sayings of the Ultimate Warrior. In several weeks I will be defending my Intercontinental title against not one man but two men. These two mortal men believe that they can step into the path of my destiny as the greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time. Rowdy Roddy Piper, I do not have any problems with you. The only problem which I have with you is that you have stepped into the path of the Ultimate Warrior. You have stepped into the path of my destiny and you shall be removed with great force and power as only the Ultimate Warrior knows how to do. Ravishing Rick Rude, I already beat you at Summerslam but the gods have said that I must face and defeat you for a second time. It does not matter how many times you step in front of me, Rick Rude, because the outcome will always be the same. The outcome will be The Ultimate Warrior rising with his arm raised in VICTORY!"

[The Ultimate Warrior snarls and growls and beats his chest. He paces again and then we head to the ring.]

Match #3

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jacquesrougeau2.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/raymondrougeau.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jimmyhart3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/VS.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jimpowers2.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/paulroma3.jpg

[Jimmy Hart escorted the Rougeaus as they carried small American flags down to the ring gathering boos from the crowd. The crowd was really behind The Young Stallions team when they came down. This was a fairly even match with both teams going back and forth. The Young Stallions got a near fall following a double dropkick. The Rougeaus fought back following some interference from Jimmy Hart. Paul Roma got taken down by a Rougeau Bomb and Jacques made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winners: The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (Via Pinfall @ 6:36)

Match Rating: B-

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/rickmartel5.jpg

[The crowd booed at the entrance of the man now known as 'The Model.' Rick Martel stepped out and walked over to where Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse 'The Body' Ventura are sitting down. He shakes hands with the Body and then picks up a microphone.]

Rick Martel

"Yes, I know I have a match later on tonight but I am quite sure that the fans here cannot wait to see a man that looks like me any longer. Besides, I have a few words for my opponent at Backlash. Chico Santana, you were always the weak link in our team. You are a pathetic wrestler who rode my coattails the entire time we were teaming together. At Backlash, I am going to prove that once and for all. To prove that I am the better man, if you beat me, which we all know won't happen, but if you beat me then I will shake your hand and tell the world that you are the better man. But when I beat you, you have to do the same thing for me. You see, ummm, yeah, I am the Model and I am better than you."

[Rick hands the microphone back to Jesse and then walks off to the back taking in the boos from the crowd.]

Match #4

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/akeem.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/bigbossman3.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/slick.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/VS.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/BushwackerButch.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/BushwackerLuke.jpg

[This was definitely a brawling match between these two teams. The fans were really behind the Bushwackers in this match. But it was even difficult for the two of them to move Akeem and this made Slick happy outside the ring. After a little over six minutes of action, the Big Bossman caught Bushwacker Butch with his Boss Man Slam and then made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winners: The Twin Towers (Via Pinfall @ 6:35)

Match Rating: C

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jacquesrougeau2.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/raymondrougeau.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jimmyhart3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jimneidhart2.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/BretHart19.jpg

[Gorilla Monsoon let everyone know that we are scheduled to hear from former WWF World Tag Team Champions The Hart Foundation here tonight. We head backstage to hear from them but what we find are Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart lying on the ground in the interview area. Jacques and Raymond Rougeau are putting the boots to them while Jimmy Hart calls out instructions through his megaphone. Jacques takes the megaphone and hits Neidhart over the head with it! What a blow! Neither of these two teams have liked each other since the Rougeaus teamed up with Jimmy Hart and it shows here tonight folks! Remember, anything can happen on the new live WWF Prime Time Wrestling!]

Match #5

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/badnewsbrown.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/VS.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jakeroberts5.jpg

[Here is one match that the crowd really got into as Bad News Brown stepped into the ring to face the return of the man known as Jake 'The Snake' Roberts. The Snake was last seen attacked by The Million Dollar Man and Virgil. This will mark his first match in his return here to the World Wrestling Federation. Bad News tried to take advantage of the hurt back of Roberts early on with a double sledge and a backbreaker. Brown got in a few kicks to the back but the crowd got behind Roberts with chants and claps and stomps of their feet. Roberts fought his way out of a reverse chinlock and took down Brown with a belly to back suplex. The Snake got to his feet first and took down Brown with a short-arm clothesline. He caught Bad News with a knee lift as the fans began chanting 'DDT, DDT, DDT!' Roberts milked this for about a minute before hooking Brown -- DDT! Roberts made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winner: Jake 'The Snake' Roberts (Via Pinfall @ 7:04)

Match Rating: B+

[As Roberts got the victory, he rose to his feet and walked over to his corner and the snake bag. He pulled it to the center of the ring and opened it up, revealing...Damian! He slides Damian on top of Bad News Brown and looks to the cheering crowd for a moment. A wonderful return for the man known as The Snake.]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/teddibease3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/virigil.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/jacktunney.jpg

[We head backstage once again where the camera moves down a hallway and then pauses in front of a closed door. That closed door has a sign on it that says: Jack Tunney 'WWF President.' It must be his office! The door slightly opens and we focus inside where the Million Dollar Man and Virgil are standing in front of the desk where Jack Tunney is sitting.]

Million Dollar Man

"So then we have a deal, Tunney?"

Jack Tunney

"This isn't right and you know it."

Million Dollar Man

"The price is right, isn't it? After all, do you want the entire world to know your little secret?"

Jack Tunney

"Of course not. So, yes, we have a deal."

Million Dollar Man

"That's the Million Dollar Man facing the WWF World Heavyweight Champion next week right here on Prime Time Wrestling no matter who wins, right?"

Jack Tunney

"That's right, Ted. Now, please, go before anyone sees you in here."

[The Million Dollar Man turns and sees the camera. He tosses his head back and does his evil laughter for a moment as he motions to Virgil. Virgil steps ahead of him and as the Million Dollar Man passes the camera he looks right into it.]

Million Dollar Man

"Everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man."

[DiBiase walks off and the camera focuses in on Jack Tunney. The WWF President shakes his head and looks down at his desk, obviously upset over what just happened.]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/rickrude2.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/roddypiper89.jpg

[Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation and especially right here on the first ever live edition of WWF Prime Time Wrestling. This is no truer than this moment as we are taken outside the Arena at Harbor Yard where Rick Rude and Roddy Piper are doing battle! The two are exchanging blows back and forth with punches being thrown on both ends. Rude sends Piper up against the side of the building face-first! Piper comes back with a few elbows and then body slams Rude on the hood of a car! The car alarm goes off, blaring in the background as Piper throws punches to Rude. Rude slides down the car and security and officials come running outside to seperate these two. What is going to happen at Backlash?]

Match #6

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/rickmartel5.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/VS.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/ronniegarvin.jpg

[A definite contrast of styles here in the semi main event as the man known as The Model takes on the man with the hands of stone Rugged Ronnie Garvin. Martel definitely has the advantage in the technical department and he uses that to his advantage early on, keeping Garvin on his toes. He takes down Garvin with a dropkick and then an armdrag. But he focuses much of his attention on the back of Garvin, showing some good psychology there. Martel made a mistake of charging Garvin in the corner and he took a few good punches to that chiseled face of his. Garvin scored a two count after a sharp punch to the skull. The only thing that stopped it from being a three count was Martel's foot on the bottom rope. Greg Valentine came down to ringside and served as a major distraction to Ronnie Garvin. This distraction gave Martel the momentum shift that he needed in this match. He was able to make a comeback on Garvin and bring him down with a backbreaker and then locked on his patented Boston Crab. Garvin struggled but he was placed in the center of the ring. He had no choice but to give up as Greg Valentine smiled from ringside.]

Winner: Rick Martel (Via Submission @ 9:46)

Match Rating: B

Match #7

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/hulkhogan5.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/misselizabeth3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/VS.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/randysavage5.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/sherrimartel.jpg

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match

'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan defends vs. 'Macho Man' Randy Savage

[Our main event for this evening and it should be a great one! The crowd rose in boos when the Macho Man's music began to play. Randy Savage walked out with Sensational Sherri behind him. He climbs inside the ring and moves to the turnbuckles, taking in the boos from the second turnbuckle. He talks with Sherri for the moment as the music of the WWF World Heavyweight Champion begins to play. Hulk Hogan steps through the curtain but he is not alone. He has Randy's ex-wife Miss Elizabeth in his corner! The crowd goes wild at seeing her even louder than before! Jesse Ventura complains at ringside about not even being able to hear himself think! Hulk Hogan, though, looks a little worse for wear as he walks out from the attack earlier on. But he makes it inside the ring and hands the belt to referee Earl Hebner.]

[From the outset of this match, these two men prove why they are two of the best wrestlers in the world today. They have a great chemistry in the ring where the two of them bring out the best in each other. Savage started the match strong working over Hogan, specifically on his back due to the attack earlier tonight by Zeus. He tossed Hogan out of the ring and distracted the official while Sherri raked her nails across Hogan's back! The crowd booed the cheating but if the referee didn't see it then what can be said, right? Miss Elizabeth came around helping Hogan up but Savage came off the turnbuckles with a double axehandle outside the ring! Hogan fell back down outside and Savage stared down with Miss Elizabeth for a moment. Miss Elizabeth backed away from her ex and Savage tossed Hogan back inside the ring. The Macho Man got a couple of near falls as he continued to work over the man known as the Immortal. He nails Hogan with an atomic drop and then bounces off the ropes bringing Hogan down with a high knee to the face. Savage points toward the turnbuckles and begins to climb up. He sets up Hogan and leaps -- Flying Elbowdrop! Savage nails Hogan with the elbow! We could see a new WWF World Heavyweight Champion! Savage makes the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3! He did it! Randy Savage is the NEW WWF World Heavyweight Champion! NO! WAIT! The referee signals that it was only 2! Hogan kicked out at the last possible second! Hogan sits up to his knees and Savage begins throwing punches which Hogan no-sells! Hogan gets to his feet, absorbing in the 'Hogan, Hogan, Hogan' chants from the crowd as he paces around the ring. Hogan stops and turns to Savage pointing a finger at him! He blocks a Savage punch! Punch! Punch! Punch! He sends Savage to the ropes -- Big Boot! Savage lands in the center of the ring. Hogan cups his ear, listening to the roar of the crowd! Hogan bounces off the ropes -- Atomic Legdrop! Hogan makes the cover, hooking the leg: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winner: Hulk Hogan (Via Pinfall @ 10:36; Hulk Hogan retains the WWF World Heavyweight title)

Match Rating: A

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/WWF/zeus.jpg

[Hogan stands up and gets his arm raised by referee Earl Hebner! What a huge win for the Hulkster! Hogan begins to go into his celebratory posedown when he spots Zeus walking down to the ring. Zeus steps in over the top rope and Hogan meets him with punches! Zeus no-sells the punches! He brings Hogan down with a headbutt! Zeus grabs Hogan in a chokehold! Hogan squirms and fights trying to break free of the choke but Zeus does NOT let go! Hogan's face begins to turn different colors as people come running in from the back to try and force Zeus to release the hold. The show comes to a close with a close-up of Zeus choking out Hulk Hogan on the mat.]

Archived