DMF's C-Verse Multiplayer Draft/Lottery

Oh man I'm massively stupid. I get it now. I'm all for picking in rounds.

Also, are you all part of the Dropbox now? I got the message that Derek is, but not you other two. I know I invited one of you, but not the other. Email address please, honestly it'll be a thousand times easier than emailing everyone the files.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh man I'm massively stupid. I get it now. I'm all for picking in rounds.

Also, are you all part of the Dropbox now? I got the message that Derek is, but not you other two. I know I invited one of you, but not the other. Email address please, honestly it'll be a thousand times easier than emailing everyone the files.

You told me you sent it but I haven't checked my email in a few days.

I just can't wait to see who Rathen picks first... but it looks like I will cos I've got an early start tomorrow and I think I'm going to head to bed soon. But if all goes well I'll be on to make a great big batch of picks in the morning (assuming it goes serpentine style) and then hopefully some more in the evening again. A reminder of the turn order in case anyone missed it while facepalming... ;)

Rathen

KingOfKings

DaMegaFish

Derek

Alright, the first five available to us will be:

1. Jeremy Stone

2. Tommy Cornell

3. Steve DeColt

4. Angry Gilmore

annnnnnnnnnd

5. Big Smack Scott!

--

The way dropbox will work is it creates a folder in your my documents folder. Anything you put in it is uploaded to our computers. So the file transfer process will be:

1. Copy / paste the game folder into the dropbox folder.

2. Update the the text file in the folder's name with whoever's turn it is.

3. Next person copy / pastes the save files into their game folder.

This is far more preferable than the current way of doing it, in my opinion:

1. Zip / rar the game folder.

2. Upload it to your email.

3. Email it to everyone.

4. Download it.

5. Unzip / unrar it.

6. Place the files into the game folder.

Simples?

I do like Dropbox, though if you have limited bandwidth it might not be ideal. Luckily I don't suffer from that problem. :)

I'm also happy to see you raiding NOTBPW with your 2 special picks already. Anyone who decides to cripple NOTBPW without mercy makes me a happy panda. :D

EDIT: While making a little test universe it occurs to me that the SWF have a number of development contracts. Since those count as written deals with the SWF I'd assume that would have an effect... rather than make them free agents I set them to be PPA deals in my test universe, though I'm not sure how anyone else would want to handle them so I thought I'd best mention it here.

I do like Dropbox, though if you have limited bandwidth it might not be ideal. Luckily I don't suffer from that problem. :)

I'm also happy to see you raiding NOTBPW with your 2 special picks already. Anyone who decides to cripple NOTBPW without mercy makes me a happy panda. :D

EDIT: While making a little test universe it occurs to me that the SWF have a number of development contracts. Since those count as written deals with the SWF I'd assume that would have an effect... rather than make them free agents I set them to be PPA deals in my test universe, though I'm not sure how anyone else would want to handle them so I thought I'd best mention it here.

Yeah I was figuring I'd switch them to PPA contracts. Also, anyone interested in maybe adding things like a franchise option to give a drafted worker who would be under a PPA agreement a written contract instead or maybe other things? Let me know.

Given that a large chunk of our rosters are going to be on PPA deals and we won't know who until the lottery it does seem that we might all want to do something to have a little more security over our rosters. I can think of a number of ways of doing that.

1. As you suggest, we can give out a couple of extra written contracts to secure some top names.

2. Since we're at war, we could protect our own workers by making them have a positive relationship with our user character after the game begins.

3. Since we're at war, we could ensure our top workers stay with us by making them loyal to our promotion.

4. We can all agree not to poach talent from each other for a while.

Options 2 and 3 virtually lock the worker to our promotion for the rest of their career while option 4 leaves us open to AI promotions. Obviously option 1 locks the worker to us for a while only to leave us potentially exposed later, but also makes it more likely we'll be able to run house shows, which could be helpful. I have a preference for option 4 no matter what else we choose to do, but it's up to everyone. I know I'll play nice until provoked. :)

Also, any word on our starting popularity and finances? Depending on how high/low we are could have a big influence on how the game plays out... I haven't tested my product but I get a feeling I'm not going to appeal to a huge number of fans, but at least the ones who show up will be rowdy. :)

Given that a large chunk of our rosters are going to be on PPA deals and we won't know who until the lottery it does seem that we might all want to do something to have a little more security over our rosters. I can think of a number of ways of doing that.

1. As you suggest, we can give out a couple of extra written contracts to secure some top names.

2. Since we're at war, we could protect our own workers by making them have a positive relationship with our user character after the game begins.

3. Since we're at war, we could ensure our top workers stay with us by making them loyal to our promotion.

4. We can all agree not to poach talent from each other for a while.

Options 2 and 3 virtually lock the worker to our promotion for the rest of their career while option 4 leaves us open to AI promotions. Obviously option 1 locks the worker to us for a while only to leave us potentially exposed later, but also makes it more likely we'll be able to run house shows, which could be helpful. I have a preference for option 4 no matter what else we choose to do, but it's up to everyone. I know I'll play nice until provoked. :)

Also, any word on our starting popularity and finances? Depending on how high/low we are could have a big influence on how the game plays out... I haven't tested my product but I get a feeling I'm not going to appeal to a huge number of fans, but at least the ones who show up will be rowdy. :)

I don't remember the exact finances off the top of my head, I was going to use the Start Own Promotion in game and just rip the numbers out of that for everyones promotion. As for helping secure rosters maybe we could do something like

3 Positive Relationships

2 Written Contracts

2 Loyalty

I feel like the loyalty needs to be handled very carefully, since it pretty much locks them in to you.

Loyalty is probably going overboard to be honest, but I thought I'd present it as an option. But it's supposed to be a Japanese thing in the game so it shouldn't really apply to us.

I'm not sure if you were suggesting we use each of the option or just numbers for each one if we were doing one. I think if used more than one of those options we'd end up with too much of our roster locked in to us (as many as 17 if all options were combined) but it would be good to have a few people who could be relied upon to stick with the promotion through thick and thin. I keep envisaging my promotion as a type of ECW deal, and we all know there were some workers loyal to the cause or to Paul Heyman. I think I'm leaning towards the positive relationships option just now, that way each of us can secure a small number of people to keep our hands on.

Then I just need to hope I get some people I might actually want. :)

Alright if we kick the loyalty out, how about just 2 positive relationships and 2 written contracts that you can apply then?

I am also for a period with no raiding each other.

I like the sound of that. A little security, but not too much. :)

Also like the sound of the size too, I've played a promotion like that before and did quite well for myself. Was well on the way to National after 18 months though NOTBPW and TCW were doing a good job of trying to stop me. Guess they'll struggle to do that this time. :p

While we're organising things (to save time later), what game options are we using for new worker generation and what not? I always play with the same settings but I figure you'll have your own preferences too.

Again on the organisation front, what about starting alignments/gimmicks etc? I figure we can choose alignments and gimmicks, but what rating will they get since that's one of the things that needs to be specified and can't be set to random? B- is the tipping point for not being good or bad in case you

And promotion starting momentum... random? Or a level playing field for everyone? I've not got any preferences here so I'm throwing this out for you guys to ponder.

I hope I don't come across as too bossy but I've started developing a bad habit of taking over things or being over-organised before the start. I always like us all being on the same page before we start but I realise I'm probably coming off a bit strong today. Hopefully that just means I'm really excited, have been spending some time pondering who to add to the draft for us all. In fact... DMF, I'll send you a PM cos I'm heading out soon and I just know that if I don't send it I'll end up holding things up while everyone else is online. :)

Really wish KingOfKings had checked into this thread earlier to make some picks. :(

@Rathen: I've played a bunch of games, I'm currently in month 5 in my game with Apupunchao (henceforth referred to as Apu) and in month 2 in a real world game that has stalled due to internet failure at the other end. My longest games are a three player that went about 8 months and a 2 player that I think went about 18 months (again, with Apu). I've had a few games that have burned out faster than that too, usually due to everyone having different ideas on what to do, which is why I'm kinda making sure everyone is on the same page.

With that in mind, and since I'm happy to stalk people on here if necessary, I'd suggest skipping KingOfKing's picks for now in order to make a little more progress. If we let things slow down too much then we run the risk of momentum completely stalling, and while Apu is probably chomping at the bit to get into this one, we might as well make a little progress now while the going is easy. But that's up to DMF. :)

Okay skipping KoK for now...

Next up is me

1.Milton Hittlespitz (Special Pick)

2. Chance Fortune

3. Joey Poison (Special Pick)

4. Mainstream Hernandez

5. Matthew Keith

And since Derek sent me his picks, his picks are...

1. Remo Richardson

2. Jungle Jack

3. Randy Bumfhole

4. Zimmy Bumfhole

5. Marc DuBois

Giving KoK 12 more hours before we just start the next round without him.

The picks used to break written contracts/hiatus/worker reigions.

From the first post

Each player will take turns drafting 40 characters in the game that are eligible workers in the US, and not under written contracts elsewhere. Each player gets 2 exceptions to this rule that they may use, meaning they may either draft somebody on a written contract, draft somebody that doesn't work in the US, or both. (Even on a case where it is both, it still counts as only breaking the exception once.

Between drafting DeColt and Stone it seems you've already used yours.

Okay skipping KoK for now...

Next up is me

1.Milton Hittlespitz (Special Pick)

2. Chance Fortune

3. Joey Poison (Special Pick)

4. Mainstream Hernandez

5. Matthew Keith

And since Derek sent me his picks, his picks are...

1. Remo Richardson

2. Jungle Jack

3. Randy Bumfhole

4. Zimmy Bumfhole

5. Marc DuBois

Giving KoK 12 more hours before we just start the next round without him.

I bet I end up with Chance Fortune on my roster... I never quite know what to do with him as he has all the tools to be a star but isn't quite up to par on the top row for me to be able to take him credibly as a top name in any promotion. I could probably make him pretty useful in a popularity driven promotion but in my 2 player game with Apu, Chance is kinda lost in the lower end of the card.

Speaking of KingOfKings (whose name I've deliberately avoided abbreviating), from stalking his profile I see he's not been on yet today, which isn't ideal. Apu has been telling me how much he really wants in too, so if KingOfKings doesn't make a return then we have a replacement who is keeping up and highly enthusiastic. And from experience, he's awesome to play multiplayers games with and was the guy who introduced me to dropbox. Man has skills. :)

I'll be around a lot tomorrow if you wanted to send them to myself and/or DMF. :)

Something I meant to say before is that I'm keeping track of who is available and who isn't with my own editted database. If anyone is interested I can add the database to the Dropbox files whenever I've added them as it's pretty much the same data we'll be using later. Starting a new game and filtering "can work in the US" and "exclude unavailable" gives everyone that can be picked without a special pick, which I know will be handy for later. Then we just need to add the actual promotions and sort the contracts by quick adding them all, then delete the placeholder promotion and all is good. Sounds sorta complicated, but database work is easy when you've had as much practise as me. :D

EDIT: Note for later while I remember... at cult we're only going to be able to maintain a 90 minute show without causing networks to cancel us. And when we get TV shows, we'll have to make sure we're on networks who won't ditch us straight away otherwise it won't really be fun. I'll have to have a look to see who that leaves us with but that's something worth keeping in mind.

My ears were ringing so I thought I'd check to see what about. I certainly don't want to rudely push anyone out but if some one can't commit the time I'd certainly be happy to pick up there spot. I even know a number of the people I'd pick just off hand.

Archived