Last Gasp of the AWA - 1987

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like a fat redneck trucker?

that's kinda what I was thinking when I ran across that picture. Amazing how different Leon was from the Vader personna.

ok - I need some advice / opinions!!

WWF is about to launch their product globally - I got the word that they are negotiating with several top names. Is it a foregone conclusion these wrestlers will leave? Any way to prevent it (they are global and I'm only Cult)? What if one of them has a title belt? Will that help keep them loyal to the AWA - or do I need to do something pronto?

how do I usually have before the traitors skip town? Seems like I read somewhere there is a 7 day notice after they sign, or should I take action prior to the actual signing (just in case)

You could always cheat and alter their stuff in the editor or maybe edit their relationships to you in the editor to loyal...

Otherwise, Id say most likely guys will sign... I couldnt tell you how long... It usually is enough time for you to get end a story or get the belts off the guy (I had to do that w/ Jesse the Body and Andre in my WWWF game)

You could always cheat and alter their stuff in the editor or maybe edit their relationships to you in the editor to loyal...

Otherwise, Id say most likely guys will sign... I couldnt tell you how long... It usually is enough time for you to get end a story or get the belts off the guy (I had to do that w/ Jesse the Body and Andre in my WWWF game)

Exactly you will probably have to let them go because really you have no other choice.

There is a way around losing them but it is a cheat. What you do is after a wrestler signs with the WWF you go into the editor and change their contract to a PPA. You then have to alter their contract with you by adding more days onto their contract. Yes you will have to share this worker with the WWF but you will get to keep them.

However, with the schedule that the WWF might run in that game (I have played the mod but never as the WWF, I usually play as CCW so I really do not know what their schedule is.) it may end up being a bigger pain in the ass to work around the WWF's schedule.

I guess you will have to think of it this way, it is exactly like real life when the WWF raided the crap out of the AWA.

that's kinda what I was thinking when I ran across that picture. Amazing how different Leon was from the Vader personna.

ok - I need some advice / opinions!!

WWF is about to launch their product globally - I got the word that they are negotiating with several top names. Is it a foregone conclusion these wrestlers will leave? Any way to prevent it (they are global and I'm only Cult)? What if one of them has a title belt? Will that help keep them loyal to the AWA - or do I need to do something pronto?

how do I usually have before the traitors skip town? Seems like I read somewhere there is a 7 day notice after they sign, or should I take action prior to the actual signing (just in case)

There is a 7 day notice after they sign before they leave your company. Sometimes you can negotiate with them and win the bidding, though, to keep them. Did this several times in my indy save I ran with jhd1 back in the day if I'm not mistaken.

Don't know what to tell you to do about the WWF invasion but I was a young wrestling fan when this happened in real life and it killed the territories. Although, most of them ran things so stupidly they deserved it - and I was never a WWF fan but in retrospect Vince may have been a cold blooded SOB but he made it work.

Anyway, just read your diary from page 1 to today in one sitting and love what you've done here - keep up the good work. When you said old foe coming into take out Jerry Lawler my first thought was the Universal Heartthrob Austin Idol.

If the WWF does raid your talent and take some of your heavy hitters don't give up - I really want to see how you can handle the squeeze that Vince puts on you. It may force you to bring in some more top regional talent to replace the talent leaving.

Are you in any promotion packs with any other territories at this time? I'd try to forge some type of alliance with Memphis as it seems you've utilized that talent you've brought in very well so far.

thanks for the replies and suggestions. I know at least one of them I cannot negotiate with (due to skills being below the minimum required for the AWA per owner goals -- just didn't want to lose him so soon)

Welcome to DownNDirty - I can promise to keep fighting for as long as I can. Even if I lose all my main event stars and champions, we'll attempt to rebuild. Much like Oldschool had to do in his WWWF diary when he lost Cult status and TV, sometimes fighting against the odds can make an even better story than just crushing everyone along the way. It will definitely hurt the product, mess up some storylines, maybe push up the timeline on a few planned angles, etc. BUT IT WILL NOT DESTROY US.....yet. I'm not as clever or resourceful as Oldschool, and will rely on you guys as my booking team to come up with some ideas to regain any lost momentum after the dust settles.

Also, I did try to bring in Austin Idol first. He is the champ in Memphis and decided he'd rather stay there for now. I respect that. I do have alliances with Memphis and just about every other promotion in the US (plus one in Canada and one in Japan). I borrowed heavily from those areas to help field my 64 man tournament - which I may have to rebook on the fly as a couple guys expected to go a LONG way are included in the WWF negotiations -- which you know is exactly something Vinnie Mac would do....find out behind the scenes who is supposed to win the event and sign them away ahead of time

thanks for the replies and suggestions. I know at least one of them I cannot negotiate with (due to skills being below the minimum required for the AWA per owner goals -- just didn't want to lose him so soon)

Welcome to DownNDirty - I can promise to keep fighting for as long as I can. Even if I lose all my main event stars and champions, we'll attempt to rebuild. Much like Oldschool had to do in his WWWF diary when he lost Cult status and TV, sometimes fighting against the odds can make an even better story than just crushing everyone along the way. It will definitely hurt the product, mess up some storylines, maybe push up the timeline on a few planned angles, etc. BUT IT WILL NOT DESTROY US.....yet. I'm not as clever or resourceful as Oldschool, and will rely on you guys as my booking team to come up with some ideas to regain any lost momentum after the dust settles.

Also, I did try to bring in Austin Idol first. He is the champ in Memphis and decided he'd rather stay there for now. I respect that. I do have alliances with Memphis and just about every other promotion in the US (plus one in Canada and one in Japan). I borrowed heavily from those areas to help field my 64 man tournament - which I may have to rebook on the fly as a couple guys expected to go a LONG way are included in the WWF negotiations -- which you know is exactly something Vinnie Mac would do....find out behind the scenes who is supposed to win the event and sign them away ahead of time

The big tournament probably created a big shiny spotlight on the AWA in which Vinnie Mac had to start paying attention to you. It could be a very long ride in the coming months as the WWF could be bearing down on you in a hurry. Good luck buddy, in my game WWF just about destroyed AWA in stealing a good amount of there talent.

MAY SUPERCARDS from other promotions:

WWF -- 76 rating, 3.33 PPV rating, sellout crowd of 12,000 in NW

Hulk Hogan defeats JYD to retain world title (78).

Paul Ordorff and Bob Orton battle to a time limit draw (75)

Dream Team win WWF tag titles from Wild Samoans (66)

Bundy crushes Davey Boy Smith (61).

Dino Bravo over Jacques Rougeau (55), Volkolff over Adonis (74), Raymond Rougeu beats B Brian Blair (54), Islanders over Young Stallions (50)

Iron Sheik beats Dynamite Kid (67)

Moolah beats Judy Martin 54

Sifi Afi upsets Demolition Axe - 59

Tom Zenk beats Brad Rheinagans - 43

Jim Crockett Promotions - 79 rating and .47 PPV rating. 10,000 sellout Mid South

NWA MAY SUPERCARD: Ric Flair retains title over Ron Garvin (87). Animal/Nikita defeats Russians (69)

Ed Gantner retains the Florida title over Teijo Khan. Stan Lane over Lazer Tron (53)

Awesome Twosome beat Pez Whatley and Assassin (57) to retain tag titles

Arn Anderson over Tiger Conway Jr (52)

Black Bart beat Basher (62)

Tully Blanchard retains tv title over Kendal Windham (56)

Ron Simmons over Kevin Sullivan (62)

Denny Brown beats Mike Rotundo (42)

Misty Blue retains women's title over Linda Dallas (23)

UWF -

UWF Superdome Card: 4,250 sellout in Wilson Complex (MS). 66 rating

One Man Gang and Bubba Rogers defeat Chris Adams and mystery partner - Wahoo McDaniel (65). (Wahoo and OMG had a 66 rated confrontation earlier in show)

Ted Dibiase and Wild Bill Irwin team to defeat Ric Steiner and Sting (75),

Leroy Brown retains TV title over Terry Taylor (56). (Missy Hyatt and Baby Doll skit draws a 55)

Brad Armstrong over Joe Savoldi (42), Steve Cox over Action Jackson (39),

Mike Jackson over Tim Horner (37), Art Crews beat Eli the Eliminator (24)

in other internal news, Curt Henning tested positive for hard drugs again - he will be given a "vacation" to sort out his life - using the Saito injury angle to explain the time off camera.

MAY SUPERCARDS from other promotions:

WWF -- 76 rating, 3.33 PPV rating, sellout crowd of 12,000 in NW

Hulk Hogan defeats JYD to retain world title (78).

Paul Ordorff and Bob Orton battle to a time limit draw (75)

Dream Team win WWF tag titles from Wild Samoans (66)

Bundy crushes Davey Boy Smith (61).

Dino Bravo over Jacques Rougeau (55), Volkolff over Adonis (74), Raymond Rougeu beats B Brian Blair (54), Islanders over Young Stallions (50)

Iron Sheik beats Dynamite Kid (67)

Moolah beats Judy Martin 54

Sifi Afi upsets Demolition Axe - 59

Tom Zenk beats Brad Rheinagans - 43

Jim Crockett Promotions - 79 rating and .47 PPV rating. 10,000 sellout Mid South

NWA MAY SUPERCARD: Ric Flair retains title over Ron Garvin (87). Animal/Nikita defeats Russians (69)

Ed Gantner retains the Florida title over Teijo Khan. Stan Lane over Lazer Tron (53)

Awesome Twosome beat Pez Whatley and Assassin (57) to retain tag titles

Arn Anderson over Tiger Conway Jr (52)

Black Bart beat Basher (62)

Tully Blanchard retains tv title over Kendal Windham (56)

Ron Simmons over Kevin Sullivan (62)

Denny Brown beats Mike Rotundo (42)

Misty Blue retains women's title over Linda Dallas (23)

UWF -

UWF Superdome Card: 4,250 sellout in Wilson Complex (MS). 66 rating

One Man Gang and Bubba Rogers defeat Chris Adams and mystery partner - Wahoo McDaniel (65). (Wahoo and OMG had a 66 rated confrontation earlier in show)

Ted Dibiase and Wild Bill Irwin team to defeat Ric Steiner and Sting (75),

Leroy Brown retains TV title over Terry Taylor (56). (Missy Hyatt and Baby Doll skit draws a 55)

Brad Armstrong over Joe Savoldi (42), Steve Cox over Action Jackson (39),

Mike Jackson over Tim Horner (37), Art Crews beat Eli the Eliminator (24)

Hulk Hogan vs. Junkyard Dog would be a no-sell match of the century. It would be funny watching JYD barking at Hogan as Hogan powers up.

Hogan vs JYD would have been interesting to say the least. Strange twists to reality with the AI turning Hogan heel right after WMIII.

up next for the AWA - a rare trip to the Mid-Atlantic area (mostly Rock America first round matches) and then a return to Texas

key matches for Charlotte:

Nick Bockwinkle vs The Super Destroyer (name Spoiler used during his MAC stint).

Midnight Express Randy Rose vs Crippler Ray Stevens

Baron Von Rashke vs Mean Mike Miller

(also Sarge vs Milkman and Lawler vs Tom Stone)

Key matches for Texas

Dick Murdoch vs Chavo Guerrero

Wahoo McDaniel vs Boris Zukov

Freebirds vs Von Erichs

http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGuiCumK7syqZOAvanZadg234xUdSS2x5xWXQX5xo31TnB2p1v:upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Awaorig.jpg

MID-ATLANTIC (spot show for RA Tour purposes)

Sgt Slaughter kicks things off by insulting the crowd - "you are a bunch of fat lazy maggots. You all need to drop right now and give me 20, I will whip you into shape and that's an order"

Sarge vs Jake the Milkman MilimanThe fans rallied behind Milkman big time (even though they had no idea who he is). Crowd was really into the match thanks to Sarge's prematch comments, and we also saw good action in the opener. Gutbuster gives Slaughter the win at 10:11

Superfly Jimmy Snuka came out to talk about future title defenses. Some fans at ringside were asked who they thought might be worthy, and no surprise here in Jim Crockett territory names like Ric Flair and Dick Murdoch came up. Snuka said he'd be happy to take on either of the big names. Unfortunately, neither are present tonight

Baron Von Raschke vs Mean Mike Miller - RA first round match

good crowd and decent action. Somewhat of an upset here as Miller drops the Louisianna Legdrop to get the win at 12:29 (note: I had slated Baron to advance, but let the AI decide the match for some reason. LOL, guess I'll be rewriting the brackets - but I think I'll have to do that anyway so might as well start now).

rating: 47

Jerry Lawler rips on the Midnight Express and how he's not afraid of the bounty. I'll find some good friends to watch my back, and I'll take apart the Express one at a time if I have to.

Jerry Lawler vs Tom Stone

Lawler wins his Rock America opener with ease, Piledriver in 5:33

afterward, Ratamyus and Eddie Gilbert joined forces to attack Lawler and try to injure him - Blackwell was there to make the save and help Lawler from the ring - 38

Ray Stevens says he is recovered from his injuries and wants his hands on the man who hurt him - the other so-called Crippler, Rip Oliver. Tonight, he will work off some ring rust against Randy Rose of the Midnight Express

Crippler Ray Stevens vs Ravishing Randy Rose

good chemistry between these two men and the crowd was into it. Ray didn't seem to have lost a step - Match drug on at the end though and the fans got restless. Bombs Away gives Ray the win in 22:07

Nick Bockwinkle comes out to warm up the crowd "I've got a big match coming against Leon White. Sheik Adnan keeps promising it will be the last night of my career. We'll see about that. But tonight, it's all about a man who is no stranger to these parts. The last time Super Destroyer (Spoiler) you saw him in some wars with men like Swede Hanson and Rufas Jones. Tonight, he's going to find a former world champion standing across the ring from him. Maybe instead of a title belt, I'll be taking that mask home with me as a trophy.

Nick Bockwinkle vs The Super Destroyer (Spoiler)

One Hour time limit: good crowd and good action - the fans got behind Bockwinkle all the way. And they saw a good one as both men can go all night long if need be. Both men had their offense - Nick sold well for the CLAW, and took a few bumps for the bigger man. But in the end, it was the War of Nicky Aggression that won out - Nicky Piledriver at 41:46 gives Bockwinkle the hard fought win.

75 rating!

Overall rating for the card: 64

this is more than double our popularity here.

sad part is, only 243 fans came out to watch the show - which is sad since I brought the A team instead of just a bunch of midcarders as originally planned. But it's our first time here, so maybe word will spread how good the product is and we'll get twice as many people next time

http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGuiCumK7syqZOAvanZadg234xUdSS2x5xWXQX5xo31TnB2p1v:upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Awaorig.jpg

AWA on tour comes to San Antonio Texas

in the dark match, Playboy Buddy Rose beats a jabroni who apparantly didn't have a lick of skills as it was a horrible match (39)

Freebirds Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy strut out, proudly carrying the Stars and Bars of the controversial Confederate flag and wearing the AWA World tag team titles. The crowd is hostile toward them as Hayes begins to speak:

"Listen at you stupid Texicans. We should call border patrol and INS but then we'd be wrestling in an empty building. That might be a bad thing since we are defending these belts against a couple of your favorite sons - but you see Bam Bam and I WANT you here to see it when we beat them down. We are the Southern Extreme Champions - call us SEC for short. I'm sure even you dumb Texicans know that the SEC is the kingpin of all sports whether it is football or Pro Wrestling.

But get one thing straight, when we come out carrying these flags you need stand up, show respect, and salute. This flag flew proudly while our forefathers defended our borders in the "War of the Northern Aggression" and now that the Freebirds are carrying that fight to the northern homelands, it will fly proudly at ringside for our matches."

the opening match - a first round Rock America showdown - and what a good one!

DIRTY DICK MURDOCH vs CHAVO GUERRERO

Murdoch battled Chavo around ringside, both men trading the upper hand. In the end Murdoch finally got the pin with a Calf Branding

Rating: 66

Murdoch says that was too easy, to go ahead and bring out his 2nd round opponent Crusher Blackwell

Flying Yamada vs Mark Fleming - 1st round match

first round match - Flying Yamada delivers solid in-ring action, but no heat on these 2 here. Yamada scores the win with a Yamada Bomb

Rating: 51

Scott Steiner vs Hustler Rip Rogers

first round match - Frankensteiner pins Rogers -- 46

after the match, Arnold Schwarzenegger comes out to offer Scott Steiner a contract to join his new stable "the Body Shop".

"Listen up boy, I've been watching you. You have an impressive body, but you lack a lot of skills in the ring. I can teach you, I am putting together an army of studs to rule the world. I have the best trainers in the world at my disposal and together I will make you a world champion." Steiner listened closely but simply shook his head and walked away. Arnold did not look too pleased at being turned down.

Wahoo McDaniel vs Boris Zukov

Wahoo was on the warpath early, and takes the Big Russian down with a Tomahawk Chop to advance to 2nd round of Rock America

Rating: 55

video -- Sheik Adnan confronts Nick Bockwinkle saying he will pay his doctor bills for when he punched him last week. Nick of course says he will do no such thing and just walks away. Sheik promosies to end Nick's career once and for all "no one snubs me, no one hits me and then just walks away like nothing happened. I will use my oil fortunes to finish you off" 56

Meanwhile, Murdoch's challenge is answered!!! We have an added bonus for the fans here tonight!

DICK MURDOCH vs CRUSHER JERRY BLACKWELL

Murdoch was true to his word and stood toe to toe with the bigger Blackwell - neither man flinched and the crowd was rocking for the good match. Murodch comes out on top with a Brainbuster

rating: 61

The "Dick Murdoch show" continues as he says the only man left for him to beat is the world champ:

"We all heard the fans in other cities when you asked who your next challenger should be. Here I am Snuka, shine up that belt and meet me in San Francisco. I will be the next world champion"

AWA WORLD TAG TITLE MATCH

FREEBIRDS vs Kerry Von Erich and Chavo Guerrerro

Fantastic crowd and good action. Kevin Von Erich was not able to make it, so Chavo filled in for him and his home crowd did not mind at all. The Texas fans let the Freebirds know what they thought of the SEC with chants of "Texas Longhorns" - Chavo and Kerry flashed the "hook em horns" sign which caused the fans to yell even louder! The sons of Texas came close to winning the belts on several occassions, but the slippery Freebirds regrouped on the floor. The wild action continued on the concrete and that's where the champs felt most at home. They piledrove Chavo on the concrete and left him laying in a pool of blood. Then they were able to double team Von Erich and Gordy used the Oriental Spike to put him away at 25:03

MATCH RATING: 78!!

the live show may have ended, but the post match theatrics may go down in history as the most heinous of all time - for sure they will be remembered and talked about around these parts for years to come. The Freebirds continue their carnage and set up to Spike Piledrive Kerry Von Erich onto a steel chair. The calvary arrived just in the nick of time in the form as the AWA owner, Verne Gagne!!!! Verne gets involved trying to stop a Freebird post match attack that might also injure Von Erich. While medics put Chavo on a stretcher and others help Kerry from the ring, the Freebirds square off with Verne. Gagne catches Hayes in his famed Sleeper hold -- bringing the fans to their feet..... but that allows Gordy to sneak in behind with a chair and lay him out. Freebirds then set Verne up for their Spike Piledriver which leaves the legend quivering in the ring. To add insult to injury, the Birds cover the fallen Gagne with the Flag of Dixie!! They gloat and strut around the ring until Wahoo McDaniel and Nick Bockwinkle run down to chase them off and check on the owner of the AWA.

FINAL SHOW RATING: 66

Attendance: 560

That's half what we expected and planned for.

However, they were all abuzz about the Freebirds and their attack on Verne Gagne. One's opinion is that this might very well spark the feud that puts the AWA on the map....gets people talking - the story that helps them turn the corner and maybe get the fans back to the arenas....possibly even start the chase to catch the WWF/ that might be a lot to ask, but hopefully this is the first step and we'll see where it goes from here.

We'll have our last 2 TV shows of the month coming up. If we see a jump in ratings, then we may be on to something.

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

979 fans attend the tv taping in Kenosha (GL)

Steve O vs Soldat Ustinov

extremely poor match saw Steve O pin the Russian with a backflip in 5:52 and advance to round 2 of Rock America. (33)

Marty Jannetty vs Sheik Adnan

Rocker Dropper pins Sheik in 5:24; Buddy Rose does color commentary and wants another match with Snuka, a cage match in Portland. I'll beat anyone he wants to put in my path. My destiny awaits!

Sheik Adnan is a better manager but keeps insisting that he wants to wrestle for some reason. (39)

After the match, Sheik Adnan was not dispelled by the loss, and does what he does best - TALK. He tells Nick Bockwinkle that his man Leon Bull Power White will end his wrestling career in San Francisco at Battle by the bay. "You will pay for what you did to me Nick Bockwinkle. I have spread my money around and men like Arnold and Leon are happy to help with my quest to end your career" (62)

Video recap of the Freebirds knocking out Verne Gagne and covering him with the Confederate Flag. Greg Gagne issues a challenge - he wants either Freebird in the ring, and if he wins then he can name the team that will face them next for the TagTeam titles. (50)

Greg Gagne vs Kevin Kelly

Greg was still fired up from the video we just saw and took the fight to Kelly. Average crowd saw a good match, bouyed by the great chemistry between Greg and Kevin. Kelly received a negative reaction from the fans, but Sherri Martell kept them alive. Greg wins with the Gagne Sleeper in 9:58. (53)

Southern Rockers (Doll and Peterson) make taped comments during the bout about apalled they are at the Freebirds' actions and they are coming for a shot at their titles to avenge their good friend Verne Gagne.

Midnight Express vs Milkman Milliman and Sonny Rogers

The Express made easy work of the job squad (37)

Mean Mike Miller vs Bulldog Bob Brown

Miller continues on a roll, beating yet another legend - this time the Bulldog. Solid action, but not much heat from crowd. LA Legdrop pins Brown at 10:44 (44)

Sgt Slaughter comes out to address a serious situation. "I understand that Norvell Austin has put up $25,000 on the crown of Queen Jerry Lawler. That kind of money sounds quite good to someone on a serviceman's pay. 4th of July isn't that far away - and I think of men who died to give us freedom from the crown....and here you are wearing one and somehow being cheered by these pukes and maggots in the stands. Jerry Lawler - I am bringing the full power of the Cobra Corps to bear and I will collect that bounty....and that's an order! (73 rating)

Sgt Slaughter vs Masked Assassin

good action and average heat, Sarge takes the masked man to the limit and both men pulled out all the stops. Sarge locks on the Cobra Clutch (after GI Jack had busted a chair over his head outside the ring) to get the win. He promises more of the same for Lawler. (64)

Final Rating: 60 -- an all time high score for the All-Stars television show!!

whether it's due to the Freebird-Verne Gagne story or not, it came right on the heels of that angle so it will get some of the credit. The true test will come tommorrow night - when the show goes live across the nation on ESPN. Will this small boost of momentum continue?

these matches scheduled:

Rock and Roll Buck Zumhoffe vs Pretty Boy Doug Sommers

Terry Gordy vs Ricky Rice

Mr Saito vs Johnny Paul

Scott Hall vs Buddy Wolfe

King Jerry Lawler vs GI Jack (w/ Sgt Slaughter)

Freebird Michael Hayes vs Greg Gagne

Nick Bockwinkle will also be in attendance. Sheik Adnan, Arnold, and Leon White are scheduled for the show as well, so could we see some fireworks from them? Plus we hope to get word regarding Verne Gagne's condition from the hospitol

in WWF news,

Orton and Muraco defeat Andre and Macho Man in 82 rated match for a Superstars show. Steamboat pins Bundy (76) and Volkolff over Outback Jack (56) for the undercard. 78 rated show

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jo3_D6AhEBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AWA WRESTLING on ESPN

sellout crowd in the Clune Arena (5.939)

Kicks off with Pretty Boy Doug Sommers vs Rock & Roll Buck Zumhoffe

Buck comes out with his boom box and gets the crowd rocking. Sommers comes out with a sour look on his face, promising to shut Zumhoffe up and advance to the 2nd round of Rock America, not so fast my friend!! Zumhoffe is outquicks Sommers and pulls off the upset with a sunset flip -49-(funny how Buck always has better matches in losses than his wins).

Nick Bockwinkle vs Sabu (w/ Sheik Adnan)

well executed squash. No heat on the match, but both men deliver a solid match. Bockwinkle wins via piledriver at 6:31 - that's when the real excitement began! (match rating = 69)

Nick celebrates his victory in the ring (78) when

Sheik Adnan confronts Nick "you must pay my medical biils!" Once again Nick laughs at him, but tonight Sheik Adnan had a plan = Leon White came in behind Nick and powerbombed him (66)

Sheik and Leon White laugh and taunt Nick who lies there in a crumpled mess (72).

Storyline segment - Verne Gagne is shown in the hospital recovering from the Freebird attacks. His son Greg is visiting, telling his dad "You're in Good Hands with Greg Gagne" and Verne implores him not to go after the Freebirds alone "cool your temper son, I've got this under control" Greg responds by asking his father if he plans on calling someone like Mad Dog Vachon to come in to help him? "face it dad, this is a new era. I can handle this" Verne shakes his head, none too happy. After Greg leaves, Verne picks up the phone and calls Larry the Axe Henning "Axe, I need the greatest tag team in the world....get me Dick Murdoch and Adrian Adonis"

Backstage in the studio, the Freebirds explain their reasonings. "You see Lee Marshall, we are from the South and this is just the start of our payback for that little "War of the Northern Aggression" that was fought last century. You see, some of us just haven't surrendered just yet. Verne Gagne was just the first casulty, and tonight I'll put his son in the hospital bed next to him. The Freebirds represent the Southern Extreme Champions, and no one here in the Midwest can compare to the SEC!"

Arnold brings out Leon White out to the ring and they are able to fire up the crowd big time - Arnold tells Nick Bockwinkle, he will soon pay for all his sins. "It was a major conspiracy that kept me from winning the world title and you were in the middle of it. Tonight, YOU just got a small taste of what we have in store for you... At the Cow Palace, my main man Leon will end your career then we can set our sights on Jimmy Snuka. I will have a shiny gold belt before the year is over (77)

Terry Gordy vs Ricky Rice

Rock America first round match, Don Carson was very active at ringside and got some average heat for the match. Meanwhile solid action in the ring, Gordy uses the Oriental Spike for the win at 8:24. (61)

Playboy Buddy Rose comes out - "It seems everyone is thinking they will be the next champ. They need to get in line behind the Playboy. I want a match in my home area - be it Portland or Las Vegas - I want a town where the referee will not be bought and paid for by Snuka and his cronies. I'm prepared to beat anyone it takes to ensure I get the next title shot." Stanley Blackburn strolls out and tells Rose that his challenge will be answered.....I can get you a match with another man who says he should be in line for titles.....Mr Kerry Von Erich!"

(66)

Mr Saito vs Johnny Paul

another solid match (avg heat). Saito seemed to be toying with Paul in this first round match. Greg Gagne joined the broadcast team - "Just because the Freebirds injured my dad doesn't mean I've forgotten what this man did to my best friend Curt Henning. Like a good neighbor, Greg Gagne is here. He stands up and catches Saito's attention giving JP an opening to score a little offense. But he tired quickly and Saito was able to finish him, but used the ropes for leverage (7:44, Paul was tiring). Gagne tried to point this infraction out to Bill Alfonso, but he pointed to his eyes, saying he did not see it and therefore could not change his ruling. Saito advances.

Sgt Slaughter comes out with GI Jack - "Jerry Lawler, you're about to make me a very rich man. Tonight, my man GI Jack will use all the brutality that I've taught him in Camp Slaughter to injure you. If somehow you manage to get by him, I can assure that I will be waiting. You will not escape my Cobra Clutch - I will put your lights out once and for all. 4th of July is around the corner - a day this great country declared its freedom from the crown - and here you are wearing such a crown. I need no other reason to hate your guts, no other reason to accept Norvell Austin's kind offer of cold hard cash to put you out of wrestling." (70)

Next, Leon White comes out to talk about a match he has with Scott Hall this week, Sarge helps him "Look at this man - he's built like a bull. Scott Hall, you used to be a big deal around here and in Japan, but after Mr White get's done you will be nothing more than yesterday's news" (69)

Scott Hall vs Buddy Wolfe

not so fast my friends, Scott Hall seemed more than up to the challenge - Leon White tried to get involved and bully Hall around, but Big Scott was able to knock him off the ring apron - then delivers the Razor's Edge to pin Wolfe (9:52) Hall and White had a little staredown afterward -- they will meet this week in a Southwest showdown (59)

Jerry Lawler cuts a promo while looking over both shoulders. "Norvell Austin, you bald headed geek, your money has all the cockroaches coming out of the woodwork. Well mark my words, I will take care of the Cobra corps then I'm coming for you!! Men have been putting bounties on my head for years in Memphis and as you can see, no one has ever collected. (62)

Jerry the King Lawler vs GI Jack (w/ Sgt Slaughter)

they did not click and made for an tough match - good action otherwise. Lawler's experience was too much for Jack despite Sarge's claims. Lawler wins by Piledriver (excellent match rating of 72, especially considering negative chemistry between mentor and protege backstage)

After the match, Sarge attacks Lawler and beats him to the mat - they fight all the way to the locker room! I for one cannot wait until these 2 men lock it up inside the ring mano-a-mano (82)

Baron Von Raschke runs out to help Lawler - he locks the claw on GI Jack and then takes a chair to Sarge!! Baron helps up the King, and has kept Sarge from collecting the bounty tonight. Baron and Lawler challenge the Cobra Corps to a tag match…."and that's all the people need to know"

(61)

Freebird Michael Hayes vs Greg Gagne

good action, average heat. Hayes said he would hurt Greg and put him in the bed next to his father. He beat down Greg most of the match, but then Gagne rallied to the cheers of the crowd. Gagne Sleeper!!! Hayes fights for the ropes, but no!!! Greg puts him to sleep!! 20:05

(62)

Gordy charges the ring to attack Gagne, but Greg quickly rolls out and heads for saftey. Next week, he gets to choose a partner to challenge for the AWA World Tag titles!! Greg motions that he will be wearing the tag titles very soon (or maybe it was the Discount Double Check)

overall show rating - 68 -- some of the angles definitely helped lift the show as a whole. It will help our popularity (everywhere but the home base)

even more exciting - TV Rating on ESPN - .20 (an all time record!!)

the Freebird- Gagne angle coupled with the Cobra Corp going after the bounty on Jerry Lawler seemed to deliver a nice one-two punch here.

to me another very exciting factor from this televised show:

The SW showdown tag team match between Lawler-Baron vs Sarge-GI Jack jumped in heat from 47 to 70 based on the angles and hype!!!!! That's one of the highest heats I've ever had for an actual booked match and the largest one show jump I've even witnessed. This is main reason I'm happy with the direction we are going and hoping the two storylines that are developing are catching on with the fans and helping to drive this success. Of course if the California house show flops, then I might reconsider. haha. This is the show to help promote the upcoming Battle by the Bay - complete card will be announced soon -- I'll also list the line-up for the house show for anyone wanting to book along at home.

Also, the extra feature match Leon White vs Scott Hall increased from 37 to 45; and we also moved the dial on several of the advanced booked BAY matches. Maybe I should be focusing more on them, but they will actually tie in on the backside of some of these stories.

If Gage, is making a motion of winning tag gold.... I really hope it was him just doing the "Discount Double Check"

However, I dont think you culd wrong one bit by bringing in Adonis & Murdoch

Somehow, I managed to miss my predictions... Sorry about that.. Still the loyal reader as always

Discount Double Check - it was a throwaway comment you made about Gagne that led me down this path, and semi gimmick change. Don't have a lot of insurance tag lines to use, but so far seems to be working as Greg's momentum has increased to 70!

don't worry about missing out on predictions, there will be plenty more chances. In fact, here are the top matches from the cards this week:

SW Showdown:

Sgt Slaughter and GI Jack vs Lawler & Baron Von Rashke

Wahoo McDaniel vs Mean Mark Callous

Leon White vs Big Scott Hall

Crippler Rip Oliver vs Scott Steiner

SE regional of Rock America Tournament

Florida champion Charlie Cook vs ICW champion Ratamyus

Norvell Austin vs Steve Doll

Dennis Condrey vs Steve Simpson

Hustler Rip Rogers vs Scott Steiner

AWA All-Stars

Sabu vs DJ Peterson

Cocoa Samoa w/ Sheik Adnan vs Mark Young w/ Wahoo McDaniel

Freebirds vs Greg Gagne and ???

bonus = pick Gagne's tag team partner

The ESPN show will be loaded down and I'll list it separetely later

SW Showdown:

I am not sure what to pick in regards to MMC and Scott Steiner's matches. I mean we all know what both men will do in the future but at the time both were still very young and unproven.

AWA All-Stars

Sabu vs DJ Peterson

bonus = Jerry Lawler?

SW Showdown:

Tough one to call but I can see Lawler being cheated out of a victory bt some outside interference

Not yet Mr Callous, not yet...

Baby Bull all the way.

Again, like BHK I think it's possibly a little early but of the two Steiner has more chance tonight.

Toss a coin!

Norvell has been a player of late

The Express double up for the night

Unless he's just a JTTS of course but Steiner's presence on two cards has me thinking that he's going to come good

AWA All-Stars

Sabu vs DJ Peterson

DJ... god no...

Cocoa has more upside

The imminent arrival of the North/South Connection has me thinking that The Freebirds go over.

Mystery Partner: Scott Hall

bonus = pick Gagne's tag team partner

SW Showdown:

Raschke is the veteran that makes Jack into a bigger star

Time is not yet for Callous, but I think he has a pretty decent future in this sport

I am going with White, one of my favorites to win do well in this tourneyCrippler Rip Oliver vs Scott Steiner

Same can be said for Scott

Toss up...Dont really know

Austin has made some waves in the AWA

Lets go with Simpson,because he can have that teanage hearthrob run

Scotty is ripping his way to a winning streak

AWA All-Stars

Sabu vs DJ Peterson

Sabu is some new guy to the sport Ive never heard of

Cocoa has held AWA gold

Im going to say Freebirds take a loss, and Im going to go with

bonus = pick Gagne's tag team partner= VERNE as Greg's partner and verne wont do a job, maybe a DQ of some sort

Archived