Cool idea (i thought) that backfired on me

I decided to do a 32 man World GP for my recently vacated GAMMA HW title since an incredible regen reitred on me :-(

So I did it like this: I had four 8-man tournaments in four consecutive shows. This was alot more work than I thought it would be since I had to put all the guys that would need the east amount of preperation and recuperation on my last tournament. I'd say only half of them were of low international popularity or better, but I didn't worry too much about popularity level of my fighters ruining my shows as I was still able to produce good main events and co-main events with my other weight classes if need be.

So after those four initial tournaments, I set up a card where a four man tournament took place, the winner taking my HW belt. It worked out in the end being such a massive event but here was my problem: EVERYONE IN THE HW DIVISION WAS COMMING OFF A LOSS.

LOL

I had to wait several cards to build fighters to get anyone with a winning streak going to get hima decent title defense haha.

It wored out int he end being such a massive event but here was my problem: EVERYONE IN THE HW DIVISION WAS COMMING OFF A LOSS.

LOL

I had to wait several cards to build fighters to get anyone with a winning streak going to get hima decent title defense haha.

Is this Scott Coker?

<p>What i did instead of a consolation tournament is I has a bunch of top guys that lost just fight each other ASAP. </p><p> </p><p>

Another consolation tournament would have given me one contender and everyone else comming off of a loss again. </p><p> </p><p>

All in all... its a bad idea. Unless you dont care and give guys title shots comming off of a loss, only winning one fight comming off a loss, etc.</p>

You could also treat the loser's fight as a number one contender's fight where the winner gets an interim title and depending on how he loses to the champ - you delay that fight in different ways like if you bring in a new guy to face him off and put him either on a winning streak or have that new guy face the champ after he defeated that guy.

Not that it would change the outcome but as far as illusion goes, the problem with StrikeForce was that they had two major headliners that have the ball in their court in both Fedor and Overeem. If anyone from Brett Rogers, Josh Barnett, Werdum, Big Foot, etc. were legitimate killers of these two guys then there wouldn't be much of a problem. It's one reason the UFC managed enough to make Tim credible until Arlovski came into the HW title picture. They didn't need two credible groomed guys. They just needed 1 legit guy and another guy they can say came in and surprised the division and that this guy could be the X factor against the champ because he didn't face him in the tournament.

UFC is currently doing the same with Diaz and Shields. They go after Shields first. Even if he doesn't turn out impressive, Fitch now has an attractive fight. Then they can go to Diaz and BJ as credible challengers. Win, draw or lose - both GSP and Fitch in the future have some opponents to keep things interesting. As long as they build it in such a manner that you think some lower level guy can do good against Fitch, you make it a case where eventually Fitch will get the right hype, the right finish and the right time when people are legitimately interested for the rematch and GSP may have cleaned the division but every fight that he wins over is a build up for that loser to eventually re-fight the champ in a credible exciting manner regardless of his current perception.

Okami is another example where he has no chance but the interest level for him has evolved that even though it didn't rise, fans just kept saying Okami! Okami! Okami! that few to no one really consciously think "what a boring fight because AS cleaned out the division and I can't think of an advantage Okami has over Silva".

Archived