Neverending Monday Night Wars HYPE

How about this for the point of divergence?

In January of 2000, following the demotion of Ed Ferrara and Vince Russo, the head booker position went to Terry Taylor instead of Kevin Sullivan.

With this change, you have a well-liked guy with the support of a good chunk of the locker room holding the book to the company. Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko and Saturn wouldn't have departed, and it's likely the Hogan incident at Bash at the Beach wouldn't have happened either. After, say, a year or so of solid booking, you could contrive a reason for Taylor to lose the book to someone else, but a solidly booked 2000 focused around building new stars in a competent, sustainable way could have really righted the ship at WCW. As a bonus, you also skip out on Russo's WCW Heavyweight Title run, the "reboot," and might even get a shot at introducing the Power Plant guys through a method other than the New Blood storyline.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading along for a while on this one. I know no matter what, I will be interested in playing some games with it. I see a ton of great idea's, and I don't want to write out a huge thing, so going with what's already been said, here's my 2 copper pieces.

Internations: WCW: Roster:Very Large; In my opinion, if the network would have jumped in and gave them more focus, instead of using any mistakes as a reason to get rid of it, I think they could have stayed around to this day anyways. SO... I think I would make the network support them and help them out with all the stuff suggested here... where they do "lose" the initial war, just as they did, but come out alive and more focused from it... using most the idea's already said. Make them "Stable", and not going head to head with WWE anymore (the player can do this when they play).

Global: WWF: Roster:Large to Very Large (depending on test results); They built certain stars to "win", keep them there, keep all their development guys, etc... They will evolve into something like they are now (Money making machine), but with more focus... perhaps a bit more "attitude" era stuff still going on. Stable, just like WCW, not going head to head gives them room to breath easier.

Cult: ECW: Roster:Medium; Working agreement with WWF and TNA. Keeps whomever you want in ECW in ECW. Still edgy, but not as "Hardcore" to keep them on TV. Perhaps PPV's can still be as Hardcore as ever.

Here's where I differ a bit: Still using idea's from the thread though...

Cult: TNA: Roster:Very Large; Jerret leads friends there, I really liked the USPW comparison... So perhaps something like that. In any case, their focus will be on older characters no longer in WWE/WCW/ECW, and indie types that have proven to be able to draw for indie's (Samoa Joe, I just can't see going anywhere else).

Regional: ROH: Roster:Massive; indie scene, utilizing lots of "good" leftover's that no one else is using, to include interesting older workers with good workrates (people like Shelton Benjamin), and lots of indie types trying to break out.

My thoughts are you could probably take a compatible mod built just before WCW closed up, and add in TNA and ROH as "new" promotions with the owner's desire to be enough different that they pick totally different workers to fill their rosters, adding in enough starting popularity to get them started.... and start them out and Simulate it to the present and see what kind of idea's you get from that. I've done similar things with the default C-Verse data, adding in other promotions or what have you to see what would happen without a players involvement. It's how I test alot of things as well (like how I figured out how much worker's are effected by personal traits).

I think that would be the best idea, maybe you should give the option by having all logos in the folder?

Any idea of a release date yet?

I am working on this as quickly as a I can. I will do my best to at least have a beta of this mod out as soon as I can.

• 3 months later...

This mod is not dead. I am working on giving movesets to wrestlers that don't have them, modifying some of the title histories and create a rich in depth game world. If anyone has any knowledge of the British wrestling scene from around 2003, let me know.

How is this for starting champions for WCW

WCW World Heavyweight Champion- Chris Jericho

WCW United States Champion- Sean O'Haire

WCW World Tag Team Champions- Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero

WCW Crusierweight Champion- Billy Kidman

I have Mark Cuban as the owner of WCW. This is mostly the anti wrestling bias from AOL Time Warner after the merger.

Here is a chat for anyone who is interested in discussing the mod with me.

http://us5.chatzy.com/48989160907059

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I have been working on the mod but recently I have hit a roadblock. I had to do a system Recovery. I have some good news and I have some bad news. The good news I did back up my mod files on an external HD. Its all there. The bad news, I need to get my TEW 2010 working again. I had to wipe out my system.

Archived