DOTM: April 2012 Nominations

RULES

1. Credit goes to The Curator/mistaken for the layout here and to Boltinho for the new categories.

2. You have 8 votes to nominate , 1 for each category.

3. You cannot swap out any of your votes for a different category, i.e. voting 2 cornellverse diaries, instead of a real world.

4. You may not nominate yourself.

5. All nominations must include a reason.

6. Real World & Cornellverse: must have at least
    shows, with at least 2 of those shows this month.

7. Rookie DOTM: any diary started since the first of the prior month, the only post requirement for rookie is one show in the current month, and not started by a Hall of Famer. (non-diary threads are no longer eligible)

8. New Categories (4-8): Must have at least one show in the current month.

9. For Best Match, Best Gimmick Match, Best Angle please include a direct link to the specific post which has your nomination.

10. Hall of Famers include: Monkeypox, Scapino1974, Tristram, Adam Ryland, Nevermore, Tigerkinney, KeefMoon, J Silver, James Casey, BigPapa42, Marcel Fromage, Reaper, Dragonmack, Eisen-verse, Self, Phantom Stranger, jhd1, The Final Countdown, angeldelayette and NoNeck.

11. You CAN nominate the winner from last month's Rookie Category to the full awards regardless of start date (The Black Listed (GUEST BOOKER: HANSHIRO FURUSAWA) by Jack Hood)

12. You can NOT nominate 21st Century Boys (English c-verse) by Boltinho to Cornellverse DOTM.

13. You can NOT nominate WWWF: Re-writing History: No Hulk/No Vince (D.O.T.T) by Oldschool to Real World DOTM.

14. A vote for yourself is an automatic disqualification.

15. The hope is to update this at least once a day.

2nd* - means that the diary has been seconded so that you do not waste your vote, or fail to 2nd a diary you want to see put up for diary of the month

Real World DOTM nominee's:

Cornellverse DOTM nominee's:

Rookie DOTM nominee's:

Best Match Of The Month Nominee's:

Best Storyline Of The Month Nominee's:

Best Gimmick Match Of The Month Nominee's:

Most Interesting Character Of The Month Nominee's:

Best Angle Of The Month Nominee's:

Nominations will be open until May 1st 2012 (12 pm Pacific Time)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we allowed jhdVerse diaries in the Cverse category? Tiberious4's POW deserves a nod in some form, although I'll have to investigate which category he goes in :)

The POW diary would still make it within the rookie category right now. And I am thinking that the C-Verse needs to stay C-Verse as a nod to the original author of the game Adam Ryland. If there is enough interest, a new category might be made next month for other fictional universes.

I'm thinking 'Non-RW databases' would be a good category. I could see it including the fan-made CV 'era' databases, too...

I agree to be honest.

Whilst the C-Verse is fantastic, by expanding the category parameters it encourages and acknowledges the work of people like sebsplex, jhd1, Derek B etc.

I would say get rid of the C-Verse category and lump all diaries that are fictional into a fictional category. If you do it the other way there would be two fictional awards which hardly makes any sense.

I completely disagree with my friend here. As this game is the creation of Mr. Ryland, his fictional universe should stand alone. Fans of his game and universe that create their own using his game dynamic as its parameter should then have its own category as well though.

The only problem I see is that the award would become the Tigerkinney Award. Meaning every other month he would win the award when he comes back on the board. Which I mean he is probably one of the best writers on here and would deserve the awards but it is not really all that fair to the other writers.

If you lump all of the fictional diaries together, you have more competition which means a greater shot of seeing new winners, in theory at least. I mean people will still flock to the name writers but at least some newer writers will have a chance in my opinion.

Since new categories seem to be the order of the day . . . by all means create away. But I agree with post below, and will elucidate the history of the two/thee category system for those who care.

I would say get rid of the C-Verse category and lump all diaries that are fictional into a fictional category. If you do it the other way there would be two fictional awards which hardly makes any sense.

Because Adam started the diary of the month thing, it was only 'c-verse' diaries meaning anything that did not contain real world content. Real world, be it wrestling world, or cartoons are Copyrighted, or trademarked or otherwise legally tied up. Adam could not directly 'endorse' any of these, because it would be seen as furthering Adam's economic ends and thus violate said legalities.

Thus the categories really are 'Made up stuff' - C'verse and 'legally tied up stuff' - real world.

The Rookie category of course came along because it appeared that veteran diaries were always winning, and thought that a Rookie category would help transition diaries into the main fight.

That is my history lesson, you are now free to add Categories.

(Side not, the last show of my OYWL year is going up. for those who have not checked through in a while it is show not to be missed)

The only problem I see is that the award would become the Tigerkinney Award. Meaning every other month he would win the award when he comes back on the board. Which I mean he is probably one of the best writers on here and would deserve the awards but it is not really all that fair to the other writers.

...Thus far Eisen-Verse, James Casey, and Tigerkinney all take the award some of the time. That's three. I've grabbed it about five times in the past three years. That's not many, but it's just under a quarter of the time, and we already had three. So that's four.

Adding an extra award may well provide MORE variety, not less.

(and while I expect the three aforenamed to include the name of the winner each month, I'm happy to report that I'm often wrong. And when I'm wrong, it's seldom me -it's someone who's less a board staple, or is but for less time. I genuinely don't think the situation is as bad as it seems; sure, the top guys win a lot, but I stand strongly against attempts to make winners more diverse by any means other than new top guys rising. And I say this as someone who doesn't take nearly as many home as the top three.)

Is there reason why can no longer swap categories?

The reason for that switch in particular is to try to increase the number of nominations in every category. In the last poll, for instance, we had twice the number of Cornellverse diaries as we did in Real World. I am hoping that this will have people voting in more than one category.

As far as some of the other issues go,

"Favorites Issue"

That is going to happen no matter what. There is no way around that unless we decide to ban diaries after winning so many awards and I don't see that as being fair at all. But that is a reason why the other categories were added. They were added to create the more variety of winners that some people want and have complained about with the DOTM.

"Other Fictional Databases Issue"

I am a definite fan of the world that jhd1 has created, in particular. So I am definitely open to the creating of a new category to do other fictional databases. I am, however, not open to the idea of mixing them in with the Cornellverse diaries. The reason being, as I stated earlier, the Cornellverse is the universe that comes with the game. It was created by the creator of the game and as such I believe it deserves to stand alone. However, I do not believe that this month there would be enough non-rookie diaries to warrant the creation of the new category for this month.

Now, let's get to the nominations...

Guest codey
Seeing all these beautiful new categories has me itching for my new laptop to come in. I can't wait to make a run for some of these awards!

The reason for that switch in particular is to try to increase the number of nominations in every category. In the last poll, for instance, we had twice the number of Cornellverse diaries as we did in Real World. I am hoping that this will have people voting in more than one category.

That is mainly because there are simply not enough Real World Diaries on here that last for any length of time. Most real world diaries are gone within a few weeks of them starting up.

"Favorites Issue"That is going to happen no matter what. There is no way around that unless we decide to ban diaries after winning so many awards and I don't see that as being fair at all. But that is a reason why the other categories were added. They were added to create the more variety of winners that some people want and have complained about with the DOTM

You are right it will happen no matter what, my point was not against name writers winning all of the time. I was just simply saying that the pool for this new award would probably be small and therefore it would be likely that the same writer would pick up the win every other month.

"Other Fictional Databases Issue"

I am a definite fan of the world that jhd1 has created, in particular. So I am definitely open to the creating of a new category to do other fictional databases. I am, however, not open to the idea of mixing them in with the Cornellverse diaries. The reason being, as I stated earlier, the Cornellverse is the universe that comes with the game. It was created by the creator of the game and as such I believe it deserves to stand alone. However, I do not believe that this month there would be enough non-rookie diaries to warrant the creation of the new category for this month.

Why?

I am not doing this to break balls but there is more precedence for my case. Heck even mistaken said so. I remember in the past that there have been diaries from the 9000-Verse that have been put in the C-Verse section. There was no outcry against how those diaries needed to be separate.

Why all of a sudden is there a pressing need to make a whole new category? This new other fictional database award is probably going to end up having as low of a number as the Real World does every month (It might even be lower than the real world.).

I am saying this as someone who tired and failed to run the DOTM and DOTY for WMMA2. If the pool which with to pick from is small, people will eventually not even bother to nominate or vote for the award.

You know, I simply don't think people will use your RW nomination. There's a good chance it will not increase the number of nominations for RW, while decreasing the amount of CVerse Nomination.

Besides, a lot of RW diaries... aren't that good. The ones that get nominated are often above and beyond the rest of the rest of the RW diaries.

You know, I simply don't think people will use your RW nomination. There's a good chance it will not increase the number of nominations for RW, while decreasing the amount of CVerse Nomination.

That is what happened before we allowed switching, yeah.

...OK, let's do some nominating!

C-Verse DOTM: James Casey, SWF: Supreme.

Rookie DOTM: Paragons of Wonder, Tiberious4.

Storyline of the Month: Money vs. Gilmore, James Casey, SWF: Supreme

Right. Come on, people, there's over a page of bickering now, let's do some nominating! I'mma post an appeal for same in my diary; I request you fine folks with diaries do likewise.

...OK, let's do some nominating!

Come on, people, there's over a page of bickering now, let's do some nominating! I'mma post an appeal for same in my diary; I request you fine folks with diaries do likewise.

This. Dont worry about categories. Angel does all the work so he can decide. If you want to change things offer to help.

DotM (Cornellverse):

FCW: Freedom to Crash by Zergon

The only diary that I get properly excited about when a new show comes up. Fun characters, a nice business and a great combination of kayfabe and game reporting.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508354

DotM (rookie):

Union Jack Wrestling by Occasional_Z

He’s got a fun little company in the UK with some underused characters (The Landlord trying to claim Genocide Agent’s back rent is the main storyline) and a nice format with the journo character reporting on the UK scene. KUTGW

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515049

Best Angle:

RAW: Children of the Revolution by Jingo

Kerry Wayne turning on Captain Wrestling 2 after a long and successful alliance. Throw in Mogo Keela (Swoop) stirring things up and it was just a brilliantly handled turn.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509664&page=26

Best Storyline:

Nemesis vs. Johnny Martin in DAVE:Survive (CV2001)

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514481&page=16

Genuinely enthralling stuff even though I’ve never been interested in martin or DAVE and we all know Nemesis will come out on top. The sense of hatred and nastiness really comes across.

Most interesting character:

A bit leftfield here but I’m going for Charasmatic Enigma’s AntMan from his MPW: Built From Scracth diary.

He’s got a great catchphrase and a nice set of battles against a succession of luchadors with revolving backup. He seems far and away the standout character of the diary and so he’s very memorable for me.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514353

Wanted to nominate Zergon's FCW: Freedom to Crash but Bolt already did and I don't think seconded are needed anymore other than that would nominate The Pop Network Presents.. Coast to Coast by Anderz but not sure if it has been around long enough. If it isn't then everyone should check it out anyway cause its cool.

First off, thank you Boltinho for the Storyline Nom. Martin versus Nemesis will be my crowning achievement when all is said and done (I hope).

Best CVerse Diary:

NOTBPW: The Prodigal Stone by Blake Trask

Entertaining, funny, with a cast of characters that can best be considered "bland" if not downright boring.

Best Angle:

Jeff Nova winning the 21CW title in 21st Century Boys. Who the hell saw that coming?

Best Characters:

Happily Ever After from Rhudipoo's WWE Bizarro. When you have five guys entered a suicide pact and one of them turns on the others to win the WWE Championship, well, that's some good writing.

Will have to come back to some of these. Thanks for answering my question too angeldelayette, and sorry for starting up an argument! :D

Rookie DOTM

As you said that he would qualify, Tiberious4's Paragons Of Wrestling: 21st Century Comedy Lucha Fun! is an excellent read that brings some of the more colourful jhdVerse characters to life excellently well. An extremely well written diary with a real flair for booking that type of promotion - nothing is taken too seriously and yet there is some very believable match making going on. A must read.

Best Match Of The Month

As one might expect, Tigerkinney's latest epic (DIASPORA - Takayuki of the Revolution) is full of amazingly crafted match writeups and picking one over another is extremely difficult to do. That said, I really enjoyed the fast-paced, mazy action of Sairento & Incognito vs Zodiac & Talisman from Full Metal Tour - Show 5.

Best Storyline Of The Month

Not sure if this counts, as I think the storyline started well before April, and is not yet finished. Nor am I entirely sure it would be classed as a storyline, as it is also equal parts angle and gimmick match, but I am really enjoying the WAR Sin City championship matches and the surrounding storyline from Eisen-verse's WAR on the Vegas Strip... Having the match be defended in the Appalachian hills, with E-V's talent for description make this a really fun storyline, and with the latest twist we are left waiting to see who really won at Rise Or Fall!

The new categories should spice things up. If I may make one suggestion, though: I don't think we need both a match of the month and a gimmick match of the month. I personally think a simple Match of the Month is good enough to cover it all.

Real World: WWE Bizarro by Rhudipoo

-Insane, off-kilter, disturbing...and entertaining as hell.

Match: Tito Santana vs. Roddy Piper in Oldschool's WWWF: Re-writing History

Interesting Character: CM Punk in WWE Bizarro by Rhudipoo

-HE'S A MOVIE STAR.

Storyline: CM Punk stars in the WWE film Christ in WWE Bizarro by Rhudipoo. Here's the official wikipedia page.

Angle: Piper and Orton take out Tito Sanana in Oldschool's WWWF: Re-writing History

Since you didn't state otherwise, I assume last month's DOTM winners are eligible in the new categories? If not, just ignore my nominations for Oldschool.

Right i've had a little think and i've come up with these so far ...

Real World: Michgcs WWE:

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144302

CVerse:

Best Rookie: Occassional_Z's Union Jack Wrestling

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515049

Best Match: the finals of the Chaos Tournament: El Scorcho vs WMD over in POW

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1763910&postcount=69

Best Storyline:

Best Gimmick Match: Has to be Jonathan Faust vs Jeff Nova for the 21CW World Title in Boltinho's vision of 21CW

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1764510&postcount=503

Most Interesting Character:

Best Angle: Carter Langer, Head of the Sports Entertainment division of the Pop network! Turns CZCW on it's head bringing in Randall Hopkirk and Billy Jack Shearer would surely have the wrestling board afire with hatred for 'destroying' the fans beloved product. Great work nice idea.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1764706&postcount=17

... I'll possibly fill the rest in when i get chance for another little think.

Archived