'End' Of TEW2010 Awards - Thoughts Thread

I am not sure if that is the case though, I mean look at the HOF voting. People who probably should have been voted into the HOF have not because they are not fresh on people's minds because they might not have written a diary or have been active on the board in recent years.

...See my prior post on this same subject. I know I'll be repping for Nevermore, both his ECW work and his C-Verse work. I'll probably single out Comradebot's EWA, and the only reason I'm saying probably is because I need to check that wasn't actually TEW2008 first. (Bam Bam's alpha promos deserve it; so do the Wild Hagues.)

The thing is, we have this same argument about stuff happening within a given year. And yet Total Mayhem 2009 won the Show of the Year in the last chronicled one... and that show had taken place some months before the voting.

Quiet Retirement wrapped in June. And yet, I would not be at all surprised if, whichever version we go with, it gets a couple of nominations at the end of this year.

That said, if I'd wrapped it in January? I would expect it to get more nominations and more votes in a full-TEW10 poll than in a 2012 poll, where a bunch of people wouldn't think of it as a '2012 diary'.

Unfortunately that's always going to be the case to some degree, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should just give up. You mention this sort of situation a lot - the best thing you can do about it is to bring these diaries up, point people in their direction, nominate them and vote for them. If they don't win then fair enough, but at least you've tried. You can't give up before it's even started! And frankly, at the end of the day, does it really matter all that much? I'm sure if LoNdOn's diary, which was excellent by the way, didn't get nominated for whatever it is we are supposed to be voting for he wouldn't be too upset. Just like I wouldn't be, angeldelayette wouldn't be, BP wouldn't be, Eisen-verse wouldn't be...

It's only a bit of fun, after all :)

110% agree here with you, my friend.

It's fun and games. Yea, it can mean a lot from a creativity standpoint (for a writer) but, at the end of the day, it's not the end of the world whether you are voted for or not. :D

Unfortunately that's always going to be the case to some degree, but that doesn't necessarily mean we should just give up. You mention this sort of situation a lot - the best thing you can do about it is to bring these diaries up, point people in their direction, nominate them and vote for them. If they don't win then fair enough, but at least you've tried. You can't give up before it's even started! And frankly, at the end of the day, does it really matter all that much? I'm sure if LoNdOn's diary, which was excellent by the way, didn't get nominated for whatever it is we are supposed to be voting for he wouldn't be too upset. Just like I wouldn't be, angeldelayette wouldn't be, BP wouldn't be, Eisen-verse wouldn't be...

It's only a bit of fun, after all :)

Yup. Just a bit of fun. Besides, it is nice to see the community come together for stuff like this. :)

I'm looking forward to this, mostly to peoples' nominations. So far, I've read maybe four or five diaries fully, and those have all been things that have been on the first two pages or so since I started frequenting these hallowed halls late last year. Nominations from before that period, with links, are sure to be a tremendous boon to me. Now, to find the time to READ it all... :D

one way for people to find the older/ popular diaries that haven't been updated in awhile is just to change the way the forum displays in the lower left hand corner.

By default its last posting, but there are plenty of other options to sort such as number of replies and number of views, and changing the time period from the default short period to several months, a year, and even to the beginning of when that particular forum was first opened.

Thats how I usually find stuff that was popular or long running, but that I may have missed the first time around.

Angel, can I respectfully ask how long you're planning to have nominations open? Because, you know, we're still 3-4 months from the end of 2010.

My plan at the moment is to have nominations open for 1 month and then the voting process open for a month. Granted, yes, we are still at least 3-4 months from the ending of TEW2010 and the birth of TEW2013 but I figure that a month is a good solid amount of time to get the nominations in. That is around how long the nominations were open for the Hall of Fame.

My plan at the moment is to have nominations open for 1 month and then the voting process open for a month. Granted, yes, we are still at least 3-4 months from the ending of TEW2010 and the birth of TEW2013 but I figure that a month is a good solid amount of time to get the nominations in. That is around how long the nominations were open for the Hall of Fame.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Instead of clogging the nominations thread with these thoughts, I figured I'd ask in this one. What are people's thoughts when it comes to diaries like The Final Countdown's ROH diary? It is done in TEW2008, instead of TEW2010 but has been done throughout the TEW2010 'season.' My initial thoughts would be not to include it because this is for TEW2010 and not a true end of year awards show. But I want to know everyone else's thoughts on this.

Instead of clogging the nominations thread with these thoughts, I figured I'd ask in this one. What are people's thoughts when it comes to diaries like The Final Countdown's ROH diary? It is done in TEW2008, instead of TEW2010 but has been done throughout the TEW2010 'season.' My initial thoughts would be not to include it because this is for TEW2010 and not a true end of year awards show. But I want to know everyone else's thoughts on this.

Considering that it's meant to be a celebration of the game, I'd tend to agree with you. That's not to take away anything from the likes of TFC or James Casey, as their writings are absolutely magnificent, it's just that if we are doing 'awards' for TEW2010 then really it should be played in TEW2010.

Something like Phantom Stranger's TCW, however, should count as I believe he converted the save over to 2010 at some point during his diary?

Considering that it's meant to be a celebration of the game, I'd tend to agree with you. That's not to take away anything from the likes of TFC or James Casey, as their writings are absolutely magnificent, it's just that if we are doing 'awards' for TEW2010 then really it should be played in TEW2010.

Something like Phantom Stranger's TCW, however, should count as I believe he converted the save over to 2010 at some point during his diary?

All of January 2009 onward is in 2010, yeah. That's 13 months of 13 shows a month versus 8 months of less.

I would say include it because after all TFC has won multiple diary of the month's during the 2010 run. Also, I could be wrong but didn't keefmoon win awards in the 08 section for his diary and he was not even using the game at all?

If that is the case then I think TFC should be allowed the chance to have his diary in the running. Then again I am sure someone will come in and quote my post and point out how I am wrong. This will then be followed up by another poster who will use the word friend in every other sentence to agree with the poster that disagrees with me and that will be that TFC’s diary will not be up for consideration.:D

Regarding the situation w/ The Final Countdown, I can see both sides, but it's a great diary, and he should have some sort of credit for it lasting so long but as it it TEW 2010 I see the other side. I don't know if it is too late but would be possible maybe to add a new category to the end of the nominations maybe as a "TEW2010 Supplement Award" for diaries that have run during the TEW 2010 era alongside TEW 2010, this could include those games done on TEW 2008, and those in the special dynasty forum below, including BigPapa's work and BHK's Compound. I was asked my thoughts via PM, but I thought I'd post it in the thread so it can be discussed (or dismissed :D)

Regarding the situation w/ The Final Countdown, I can see both sides, but it's a great diary, and he should have some sort of credit for it lasting so long but as it it TEW 2010 I see the other side. I don't know if it is too late but would be possible maybe to add a new category to the end of the nominations maybe as a "TEW2010 Supplement Award" for diaries that have run during the TEW 2010 era alongside TEW 2010, this could include those games done on TEW 2008, and those in the special dynasty forum below, including BigPapa's work and BHK's Compound. I was asked my thoughts via PM, but I thought I'd post it in the thread so it can be discussed (or dismissed :D)

TFC's diary is a great diary and he has lasted a very long time. He should be saluted for that. The issue that I have with the whole 'TEW 2010 Era Supplement Award' is where would you have the cut-off? Do diaries that ran for a couple of months into the TEW 2010 era make the cut to compete against ones that lasted a year or more? My original intent with these awards was to celebrate TEW2010 itself as the new TEW is coming out soon.

I am still listening to arguments for or against the Supplemental Award as that is the best thing I can agree with right now for ones that are run on TEW2008 or not run on any game at all.

While I appreciate the nod in regards to the Compound, it really has nothing to do with wrestling at all (Well besides the fact that Big Smack Scott and Jim Force were in it.) so I would say that it does not deserve to be up for any kind of awards.

While I appreciate the nod in regards to the Compound, it really has nothing to do with wrestling at all (Well besides the fact that Big Smack Scott and Jim Force were in it.) so I would say that it does not deserve to be up for any kind of awards.

I was just thinking more the time frame (and like you said the us of pictures from the game) but if you yourself don't think it should be in then I can't argue with that :D

Archived