The Road To Glory Challenge

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Play whatever you like. You don't need to use the CV in this challenge. There are some eras where an RTG game could be easier or harder (mainly how many regional companies exist as those regional battles can mess you up, TV networks available as well as PPV, and different levels of companies to make jumping up the ladder easier if you don't want to just build your starting company to the top).

quick question. If I roll a number I've gotten previously, then am i allowed to use it again, or am I suppose to roll again?

Personally I would reroll just because I think that is more fun and more of a challenge but at the end of the day there are no set rules...you can do whatever you want.

Heck you don't have to roll at all, just pick one that looks fun to you and go with it!!

• 1 month later...
Play whatever you like. You don't need to use the CV in this challenge. There are some eras where an RTG game could be easier or harder (mainly how many regional companies exist as those regional battles can mess you up, TV networks available as well as PPV, and different levels of companies to make jumping up the ladder easier if you don't want to just build your starting company to the top).

The rules are the whole point of this challenge; to get an A* match in a national promotion in the C-Verse as booker (not owner) after starting with a 0/0/0/1000 promotion. Anything else is not the RTG challenge.

I'm struggling to beat the challenge in the UK. I'm up to May 2023 and at very high cult but I just can't make the final step to national. I'm at B pop across the UK but that only translates to C importance. It's so hard to consistently get A rated events with the UK talent. I'll be out of a job in eight months too as I have a critical owner goal to not drop lower than 7th in the promotion wars and I am already down to 9th due to other promotions gaining pop in high importance areas.

Uh, re-read the rules there Bad Collin. Nowhere in there does it state you have to use the CV with this challenge. Honestly, after you try it a few times, you'll be burned out on doing it any more because it is going to play out the same all of the time. Same starting workers, same rise and fall of companies, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I really love the challenge at the beginning of this thread. I've been using the Mystery Box in my game for some time now, to amusing effect. I then spiced up my own Mystery Box list to include the following - these work in exactly the same way. Please feel free to use these in your own game should you like the look of them. I'd also be interested to see any more suggestions you great people can think of to further bulk up this list:

55. The Man Behind The Mask: A random member of your roster - midcard or higher - is insisting on going behind a mask like their favourite Mexican / Japanese wrestling heroes. This person must mask-up immediately, including a change of photo / image. You must also change their gimmick to better match their new look. This person may not un-mask until their mask reaches 75% prestige.

56. The Man Behind The Man Behind The Mask: As above, but you must select a random masked member of your roster to unmask immediately. Change their photo and gimmick to suit. If you have no masked wrestlers in your promotion, you don't have to do a thing.

57. A Mini-Me For Me: A random member of your upper / main event has been watching too much Mexican wrestling recently. They use their clout within your company to demand that a midget version of themselves be added to the roster. You must hire a tiny person as a miniature version of this star. The two must then become an active tag team within your promotion.

58. Mind Your Language: A random member of your roster begins using Rosetta Stone CDs to help them sleep. They wake up refreshed and suddenly fluent in a random foreign language of your choice.

59. Kevin Kostner For Me: Your World Champion (or equivalent) has been watching the DVD classic The Bodyguard. They then insist on having an on-screen bodyguard for their character too. You must hire a new person with 80% or more Menace to your roster and assign this person as your Champ's manager. This person must accompany your Champ in every match and angle, never leaving their side. This must be a new hire; you can't use an existing member of your roster. The bodyguard must stay for 6 months.

60. Hard To Manage: Your mid-level champion (Intercontinental, United States, equivalent) suddenly demands they want an on-screen manager. You must hire a random new talent to your roster as their manager. This must be someone over 50 years old who is wearing a suit in their photo. As per the above, wherever your champ goes, this new manager goes. All matches. All angles. This must happen for a minimum of 3 months.

61. The Future Is Now: The next wrestler to emerge from your Dojo / Development fed must become the protege of the most over active member of your roster. If you don't have a Dojo / Development fed, watch the News and use the next newly generated Graduate from another fed. Change their relationships to be Mentor / Protege, and they must also have a Strong Friendship. They must then share screen time constantly, as per the two above. They will be together for a minimum of 9 months.

62. I Truck With Jesus: A random member of your roster is involved in a nasty trucking accident. They may not wrestle for 2 months, as if suffering a legit injury. Upon their return, all physical stats drop 15% and resilience drops 20%. During the accident, this random member of your roster had a near-death experience and now has 100% on their religion. They will also recover from all bad habits they have.

63. The Big Come Out: Roll a dice to randomly get a number between 1 and 6. Buoyed on by the legalization of Gay Marriage in America in 2015, this number of random members of your roster suddenly come out of the closet. This includes separating from any partners they may currently have in order to pursue their new gay lifestyle. If a person you randomly select happens to be gay already, they are now bisexual.

64. Just Say No: The owner of your fed is enraged by all the doping and drugs in modern wrestling, and wants to make a statement. Whoever next fails a drug test - regardless of the circumstances - must be immediately fired and made an example of. Anyone who objects to this firing must themselves be suspended, as punishment for taking their side rather than towing the company line. If you have no drug testing in place, you must begin some immediately and randomly drug test 10% of your roster.

65. I'm A Little Bit Country: A random member of your roster must drop whatever gimmick they have and immediately switch to a Country Singer gimmick. They must ride this gimmick out until your Road Agent tells you the character is stale and needs a change.

66. My Inner Dark Side: A random member of your roster discovers The Cure on iTunes and becomes obsessed. They immediately embrace all aspects of the Gothic lifestyle, and insist upon changing their wrestling persona to match. This random person must immediately change gimmick to Goth, regardless of whether they've recently already changed. They may not drop this gimmick until a Road Agent declares their character to be stale.

67. Under The Knife: One random person on your roster opts to have plastic surgery. They must be taken off screen for 1 month while this happens. Upon their return, generate a random number between 0 and 100. Whatever the number lands on is their new Sex Appeal score - will the surgery be a massive success or a huge disaster? Will they become a centrefold or a mutant? Let fate decide!

68.What's In A Name: If your fed's name begins with a vowel, you must hire everyone in your game world called Daniel / Danny and give them a contract in your fed. You must allocate them to whatever position best suits them. If they're an active wrestler, they must be given a good honest push and a change to impress in your fed. If your fed's name begins with a consonant it's David. If your fed's initials start with a number, it's Richard.

69. Age Isn't Just A Number: The oldest active member of your roster must be retired into a non-active role within 3 months and never wrestle again. This must happen regardless of how old this person is. In their place, you must find the youngest unemployed active wrestler in the game and hire them to a 12+ month contract.

70. A Close Shave: 2 random active wrestlers from your roster must have a Hair vs Hair match within the next 2 months. Whichever of the 2 has the lowest Overness must win. The loser must then have their image changed to be bald, and have this for the rest of their career - just like Kurt Angle did. If you Private Message me, I will Photoshop any existing images for you to make your wrestler bald. Randomly, this drastic change in appearance works wonders, adding 25% to their Sex Appeal.

Uh, re-read the rules there Bad Collin. Nowhere in there does it state you have to use the CV with this challenge. Honestly, after you try it a few times, you'll be burned out on doing it any more because it is going to play out the same all of the time. Same starting workers, same rise and fall of companies, etc.

You are correct the rules do not say that it has to be used in the CV. That said it tends to be far far easier to get an A* rated match in a lot of the other mods so there's always that. And I've done dozens of RTG games in the CV and I never get burned out. I use different starting locations, I give myself different rules, smaller weight limit fits nothing over middleweight, women's feds. Getting your out come in a pop over performance fed is much different then getting it in a performance over pop fed. I've even done a fast forward a few years and play from there or play in the 97 CV.

Just started this again with Perf over Pop. UC's skills mainly Performance, Technic and Aerial skills. (UC is considered as a NBT and Hot Prospect)

Sponsorship looks rough, but massive boost when Steve Flash becomes my new owner. First time I've been lucky enough for this to happen to me (always to my competition or starts up a new promotion in other games) since he'll be able to train the roster once we've grown and can afford to use him.

Backstage rating only is a 66, so I'm already dreading the first event that's came up on our first night. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Steve's already taken Davis Wayne Newton under his wing as his protege before the event has even started :)

Hopefully we can stay afloat under we're small so we can start making use of Flash ($1,880 a month :( )

Edit: Appears that Flash values NYCW over his own company :p

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I've done a good RTG, started 3 different ones and this one is the only one I've kept enough interest in to keep playing.

Canadian Independent Championship Wrestling

Product: Perf=Pop

Roster:

-Rayne Man (UMC)

-Ricky Turner (MC)

-Larry Wood (ME)

-Jack Bradburn (MC)*

-Philippe LaGrenier (ME)

-Thomas Morgan (ME)

-Dr. Michael O'Haire (MC)

-Bob Casey (UMC)

-Cal Sanders (UMC)

-K-Squared (ME)

-Mark Griffin (ME)

*User Character

Thoughts/Occurrences after 6 Months

-Just picked up Mark Griffin when he left NOTBPW in March but costs $990 a show. Probably one of our best guys though.

-K-Squared is a personal favorite of mine in the C-verse so he holds the Canadian World Independent Championship Belt lol (4 def). Feuds with ME face's Griffin and Morgan.

-LaGrenier I haven't really sorted out how I want to use him yet but I'm local so it doesn't much matter at this point. Only bad thing is I awarded the belt to K-Squared in a match with LaGren who was more popular and he lost 8 pop from it, lol.

-Morgan is also hard to book at the moment since he has poor chemistry with the heel champ K-squared and I only have 2 face ME's haha.

-Unfortunately I have a very useless owner with Alysian Scottsfield. Was hoping for Jetson or someone useful but of course not.

-Larry Wood costs me an arm and a leg @ $1,560 per show but has great chemistry with my UC so I have them tagging. So far I like the results. Wanted to switch to UC & Griffin when I got him but they "don't click." Best thing with Wood is he's a "Locker Room Leader" and is also another personal favorite of mine in the CV.

-Haven't lost any money yet, bank account is sitting at $16k at the moment. Was making ~2k per month but with Wood and Griffin's contracts we're only hitting $500-1k profit monthly.

-Backstage is @ 76% (User Skill: Inspirational Leader)

-Prestige: 2, Momentum: 23, Pop: 7, Imp: 7, Best Show Rating: 45, Best Match: Griffin defeats K-Squared by count out (48), Reputation: low.

User Character: Jack Bradburn

Canadian, LHW, Regular Wrestler

Brawling: 25, Chain: 75 rest of top row 0

Basics: 75, Psy: 75, Consistency: 70, Selling: 45, Safety: 0

Ath: 50, Tough: 50, Stam: 60, Power: 0

Mic: 0, Char: 70, Acting: 0, Star Quality: 70, Sex Appeal, 0, Menace: 0

Having lots of fun thus far. Skills growing very well.

Been a while since I've done a good RTG, started 3 different ones and this one is the only one I've kept enough interest in to keep playing.

Canadian Independent Championship Wrestling

Product: Perf=Pop

Roster:

-Rayne Man (UMC)

-Ricky Turner (MC)

-Larry Wood (ME)

-Jack Bradburn (MC)*

-Philippe LaGrenier (ME)

-Thomas Morgan (ME)

-Dr. Michael O'Haire (MC)

-Bob Casey (UMC)

-Cal Sanders (UMC)

-K-Squared (ME)

-Mark Griffin (ME)

*User Character

Thoughts/Occurrences after 6 Months

-Just picked up Mark Griffin when he left NOTBPW in March but costs $990 a show. Probably one of our best guys though.

-K-Squared is a personal favorite of mine in the C-verse so he holds the Canadian World Independent Championship Belt lol (4 def). Feuds with ME face's Griffin and Morgan.

-LaGrenier I haven't really sorted out how I want to use him yet but I'm local so it doesn't much matter at this point. Only bad thing is I awarded the belt to K-Squared in a match with LaGren who was more popular and he lost 8 pop from it, lol.

-Morgan is also hard to book at the moment since he has poor chemistry with the heel champ K-squared and I only have 2 face ME's haha.

-Unfortunately I have a very useless owner with Alysian Scottsfield. Was hoping for Jetson or someone useful but of course not.

-Larry Wood costs me an arm and a leg @ $1,560 per show but has great chemistry with my UC so I have them tagging. So far I like the results. Wanted to switch to UC & Griffin when I got him but they "don't click." Best thing with Wood is he's a "Locker Room Leader" and is also another personal favorite of mine in the CV.

-Haven't lost any money yet, bank account is sitting at $16k at the moment. Was making ~2k per month but with Wood and Griffin's contracts we're only hitting $500-1k profit monthly.

-Backstage is @ 76% (User Skill: Inspirational Leader)

-Prestige: 2, Momentum: 23, Pop: 7, Imp: 7, Best Show Rating: 45, Best Match: Griffin defeats K-Squared by count out (48), Reputation: low.

User Character: Jack Bradburn

Canadian, LHW, Regular Wrestler

Brawling: 25, Chain: 75 rest of top row 0

Basics: 75, Psy: 75, Consistency: 70, Selling: 45, Safety: 0

Ath: 50, Tough: 50, Stam: 60, Power: 0

Mic: 0, Char: 70, Acting: 0, Star Quality: 70, Sex Appeal, 0, Menace: 0

Having lots of fun thus far. Skills growing very well.

Looks good so far -- you can always make yourself Larry Wood's kayfabe "brother" a la his tag team in CGC.

It's good to see RTG back, admittedly some of the longer players experienced pretty big setbacks. I'm currently running a Road To Glory Diary in Japan here, I give some tips on how to "run" an RTG, for those interested.

I've had good luck in Canada before, and I wish you the best. It's easy to get TV with only ~5 regions to worry about, and a great place to run pop > perf Good luck! :-0)

End of the first year for Canadian Independent Championship Wrestling...

Pop: 11 (Ontario)

Imp: 10 (Ontario)

Finances: ~20k

I thought for sure I'd bump to Small after my December show just in time for 2015 but that just didn't happen.

My boy K-Squared got offered a written contract by CGC so unfortunately I had to take the belt off of him. The timing worked out perfect as I had him and Griffin finish off their 4-match feud with a clean pin, awarding Griffin (Face) the belt. The result was the best match of my short booking career - a solid 50. I've lost my #1 Heel now, so Larry Wood or LaGrenier will have to fill that role until my UC can step up or I sign someone else.

In December I came to the conclusion that if I take CICW to the top and don't leave as booker at some point Jack Bradburn will probably never get over enough etc. So I bumped him up to an undeserving Upper Midcard push from the midcard and awarded him the Canadian Independent Title via a match with Ricky Turner.

In other news some of the guys I had pegged to join the roster when I hit small are being snatched up by bigger promotions, namely Jerry Martin (CGC), Riley McManus, Greg Gauge, Dazzling Dave Diamond, Acid etc. and Matty Faith, Ray Snow, and Remmy Honeyman I can't hire because Alysian says my workers have to have >35 Charisma, Psychology, and Selling.

Rayne Man also signed a PPA with newly-founded RMW (2015)

L-Ring and PWMAX were also founded in 2014

My first-year roll was 32 (the +15 announcing one) so that is kind of useless at this point but may be handy for something. Better than adding to a habit or something.

July, 2015 - Canadian Independent Championship Wrestling

Things are moving along really well now. Heading into July CICW is currently small size and has 90k in the bank (making ~13k a month), 20 prestige, 43 momentum, 16 pop/imp in Ontario, with 23 wrestlers on the roster. Top match took place between Zeus and Griffin for a 56 rating, top card was in April, 2015 for a 52 overall rating.

Jack Bradburn now has "average" booking reputation, and 18pop in Ontario.

I lost K-Squared before jumping to small so I had to get through one show without him. Got to small and went on a really good hiring spree. The roster now looks like this:

Deuce Deadline (Opener, Heel)

Gidayu Katou (Opener, Face)

Dr. Michael O'Haire (LM, Heel)

Regular Joe (LM, Face)

Barry Kingman (M, Heel)

Bob Casey (M, Heel)

Cal Sanders (M, Face)

Fro Sure (M, Face)

Jack Bradburn (M, Heel)

Paul Steadyfast (M, Heel)

Rayne Man (M, Face)

Ricky Turner (M, Face)

Ford Gumble (UM, Face)

Thomas Morgan (UM, Face)

Larry Wood (ME, Heel)

Daryl Devine (ME, Face)

Elliot Thomas (ME, Face)

Mark Griffin (ME, Face)

Zeus Maxmillion (ME, Heel)

Philip LaGrenier (ME, Heel)

Pretty serviceable roster. Griffin just lost the Canadian World Independent title to Zeus after taking it from K-Squared. Griffin was a good champ and carried the main card for almost a year so chances are he will see the strap again.

GSW declared war on me randomly in January so I stole Fro Sure just to screw with them.

Larry Wood decided to retire and will be leaving my promotion in July. He opened his own promotion X-Wrestling America with Wolverine doing the booking for him. There are now 6 small-size promotions in the USA.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bad Collin" data-cite="Bad Collin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34839" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm itching to start a new RtG game over Christmas. Sadly, I can't get to national in the UK so my ROF game is going nowhere. I might try Japan or Canada next.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Why can't you get to national in the U.K.? I'm interested in knowing if I'm waisting my time trying to bring my N.W.F promotion from Regional to National in U.K.</p>

Why can't you get to national in the U.K.? I'm interested in knowing if I'm waisting my time trying to bring my N.W.F promotion from Regional to National in U.K.

Because the importance of most areas is too low, and sometimes gets lower.

In my current game to get 65 importance in my fourth region (Ireland) I'm going to need 88 pop. This is possible but very hard work. International is practically impossible.

I have a question-- sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not too good at using the search function so please bear with me...

I tried starting a game and I was wondering how people are coping with having only $1000 in the bank. I'm not sure with TEW10 but TEW13's PPA's also have downsides (at least in the over-9000 verse game I'm using), so how do you work around that? I got myself bankrupt within 6 months! :o

Hopefully some of you helpful guys can help a poor soul out :(

I have a question-- sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not too good at using the search function so please bear with me...

I tried starting a game and I was wondering how people are coping with having only $1000 in the bank. I'm not sure with TEW10 but TEW13's PPA's also have downsides (at least in the over-9000 verse game I'm using), so how do you work around that? I got myself bankrupt within 6 months! :o

Hopefully some of you helpful guys can help a poor soul out :(

Your product needs to be favourable towards sponsorship.

Your product needs to be favourable towards sponsorship.

Hmm, I haven't tinkered with the product but I'll go take a look at it. Thanks!

Or pick the cheapest guys going. You can see in the finance screen how much sponsorship money you will get a month. I only hire 3 or 4 decent workers and the rest are just the cheapest around.

Yeah, it's hard when I keep getting rejected by everyone for being too small :(

But the downside thing's real, right? I mean, all the PPA deals have downsides? I'm not just imagining it?

Yeah, it's hard when I keep getting rejected by everyone for being too small :(

This isn't the place to talk about your personal life :D

Really, though, when you're just starting out, you only need to get show grades a couple points higher than your popularity (which is 0 in RTG) to get pop improvement. At this point you can gain pop by setting a pile of garbage on fire in the ring for 60 minutes so hire the cheapest guys you can find when you start out. It won't negatively impact your growth rate and it will save you money.

Archived