Storyline templates

Oh you're definitely not. I don't know if you used my Cappy Pack at all. But I had a second round of it planned for this game full of outlines I'd had to put into reserve. The centerpiece was going to be a five, yes FIVE, part arc about a marquee tag team (picture like the Hardys or Team 3D) that everyone thought had done everything. So the new GM was coming in determined to push the "better" one to the world title as his pet project. Only the team disagreed and had no desire to split up. So they fought like mad to stay together over the GM's ambitions.

Oh and Shadowsong, not only were they great for uncreative people, they were also awesome for those of us who couldn't always count on playing on a regular basis. So much easier to pick up where you left off if you have the templates to follow along with.

I liked the set storylines for the historical mods because it was fun to try and recreate famous feuds from the past, but I much prefer the way storylines play now. They feel far more realistic to me and I like the fluidity of story elements and workers combined with the tracking of what's happened and how the workers are being perceived.

I'm not for sure why this was taken out in the first place. This really helped me when I was starting to get bored with my game. It kept me in check when it came to pushing someone. I'm much more unorganized with this new change.

The game really took a step backwards for me with changing this.

*shrug* I was a huge proponent of the change. I don't know this for a fact but I think most people used unchained storylines. The new system is just unchained storylines without the old restrictions and with new functionality ('aligned with', as an example). To me, it just made sense to open up the storyline system since storylines in wrestling today (and no, I don't mean just WWE) are a lot more fluid than they were back in the day.

*shrug* I was a huge proponent of the change. I don't know this for a fact but I think most people used unchained storylines. The new system is just unchained storylines without the old restrictions and with new functionality ('aligned with', as an example). To me, it just made sense to open up the storyline system since storylines in wrestling today (and no, I don't mean just WWE) are a lot more fluid than they were back in the day.

I agree with you that the new way flows better. I just miss the old way :( I'll get use to it eventually.

I've been making/planning out my storylines in TEW2010, then putting them into a text file to help me keep track. More work but worth it for me. Any game of TEW where I don't have 2 spreadsheets, 3 save game specific text files and 1 or 2 TEW text files is rare, so what's one more to the pile. :p

I've been making/planning out my storylines in TEW2010, then putting them into a text file to help me keep track. More work but worth it for me. Any game of TEW where I don't have 2 spreadsheets, 3 save game specific text files and 1 or 2 TEW text files is rare, so what's one more to the pile. :p

I've been thinking I'll have to do the same. I had a hard time maintaining the thread of what I've intended to do when I use unchained storylines in the past. Having that guideline was a big help to me.

<p>I also felt that by using the templates, I had a better idea of who is getting pushed more. It seemed like in my games, even though I pushed certain people, others simply moved up the card more organically, and a lot of that had to do with when and in what roles they were in in the premade storylines. I loved using the ECW/WWE storyline with William Regal and his court going after the championship, but unintentionally, it ended up moving his court up the card more.</p><p> </p><p>

I wonder if inserting it back into the game with a patch would be a difficupt thing (not asking Adam to do it, just a curious thought).</p>

<p>I was just annoyed that there was no warning about it before the demo came out. Would have saved me the trouble of writing them out for nothing.</p><p> </p><p>

It just made organizing things much easier for me. Instead of opening a program outside the game to set up a tournament I chould just select and run it. Removing the option is a bit of a turn off for me.</p>

<p>I miss it. I tended to use unchained for most of my main stories and to that end the new style will probably work better, but I liked the set stories for my lower stuff. It was a convenient way to keep my mid and lower card active even when I didn't have something specific planned for them. Plug them into a story and go a step a week so they stay active and getting over even when I'm distracted with other stories.</p><p> </p><p>

I'll move on, I'm sure. But it's a sad loss.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Sonfaro" data-cite="Sonfaro" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35033" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I was just annoyed that there was no warning about it before the demo came out. Would have saved me the trouble of writing them out for nothing.<p> </p><p> It just made organizing things much easier for me. Instead of opening a program outside the game to set up a tournament I chould just select and run it. Removing the option is a bit of a turn off for me.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agreed. I have probably a good 25-30 stories I would have been adding to the Cappy Pack for 2013 if the chained storylines are still a part of the game. Granted they could get a little fiddly at times and hurt you if miscast the first step in a string of events. But having that structure at your fingertips was helpful in many ways. It made long term planning easier because you could plug the next story in after the last one ended or evolve into new ones if you changed your mind midway through. You had the outlines there to kickstart you if you had to step away from that save for a stretch and pick up more easily where you left off when you came back.</p><p> </p><p> Although I get Remi's logic for why they were expendable, it also strikes me as a realism vs fun argument. While he's certainly right the new system is more in keeping with modern methodology, I've never had as much fun playing TEW free form as I have when I've playing pre-outlined stories. Instead of doing away with the chained stories, I would have suggested making them a little less rigid. </p><p> </p><p> Like having the assistant booker be able to tell you, "This group of angles will advance the next story step for you" or "We don't currently have any angles that can do that. Would you like to create one?" Or having the storyline be more "template" as this thread describes and less "shopping list". Meaning you'd have to hit all the story points in the outline but if necessary you could squeeze other story points in as filler or extra atmosphere. With the risk being that the longer it took you to go from one planned story point to the next, the greater the risk the story would get off track and confuse people. Or having the option of returning to the storyline you evolved the new one out of without having to do a whole lot of Skip Step. In the event the story you were evolving to was meant to be a subplot of the previous one.</p><p> </p><p> I'm sure I'll eventually get in the groove of the new system. But for all the nuisances the chained stories could create there was a lot of good in them as well. And I don't think I'll stop missing them just because I eventually get used to the new way.</p>

<p>Hey there, Brother WrestleManiac. Good to see you. Sure felt good finally getting those Greek myth storylines we had worked on out to the people.</p><p> </p><p>

Might not be such a bad idea. We'd still have the nuisance of juggling from third party program to game to play them. But at least they'd be in the mix could be played which is of course the important part.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="WrestleManiac" data-cite="WrestleManiac" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35033" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Why not post your storylines in the forum? Then people could have that inspirational outline and have the freedom to evolve the story wherever their own creative juices take them. Don't like the ending? Fine change it. The gmae won't stop punish you.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think that's a really good idea - is it worth starting a thread for it? I'm hopeless creatively but could get the default ones up for the benefit of people without TEW 2010. If Cappy and Sonfaro and other storyline writers were able to post theirs up as well, either in one storyline thread or a separate one for each person, that might ease the blow for those of us who used chained storylines.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaded" data-cite="Jaded" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35033" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think that's a really good idea - is it worth starting a thread for it? I'm hopeless creatively but could get the default ones up for the benefit of people without TEW 2010. If Cappy and sontaro and other storyline writers were able to post theirs up as well, either in one storyline thread or a separate one for each person, that might ease the blow for those of us who used chained storylines.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> One another forum I visit what they would do would be have a thread for the storylines and a seperate one for discussions about the storylines so that the thread doesn't become a jumble of storylines and compliments/complaints.</p><p> </p><p> Cappy, I didn't know you'd released those Greek storylines. Been away from this forum WAY too long. Glad you got round to it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="WrestleManiac" data-cite="WrestleManiac" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35033" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>One another forum I visit what they would do would be have a thread for the storylines and a seperate one for discussions about the storylines so that the thread doesn't become a jumble of storylines and compliments/complaints.<p> </p><p> Cappy, I didn't know you'd released those Greek storylines. Been away from this forum WAY too long. Glad you got round to it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sounds like a good plan to me - so 2 threads, titled "Storylines Thread - Storylines Only Please" and "Storylines - Comments And Discussion"?</p><p> </p><p> If people want me to, I'll try and start them off and that way we could use the first post as an index, then maybe post each separate storyline in a new post? Just thinking out loud here! (Or as I type, at least.)</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="WrestleManiac" data-cite="WrestleManiac" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35033" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> One another forum I visit what they would do would be have a thread for the storylines and a seperate one for discussions about the storylines so that the thread doesn't become a jumble of storylines and compliments/complaints.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Kind of like how Adam does with the developer's journal and then the reaction thread. That could be kind of cool. After a game's been out for a while, I tend to miss the excitement and anticipation of reading those. What has he come up with now? What do people think about it? Always my favorite part of the development cycle of a new game. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="WrestleManiac" data-cite="WrestleManiac" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35033" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Cappy, I didn't know you'd released those Greek storylines. Been away from this forum WAY too long. Glad you got round to it. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Sure did. They were in the first Cappy Pack I released several months ago. And I made sure to acknowledge you on the credit screen. I don't know I would have visualized those stories well enough to produce them without you. Finally got my Theft of Thor's Hammer story done as well.</p>

Archived