Is it easier for you to book a worker if you have a real world to compare them to?

I don't know if you may or may not find it easier or likeable to be able to book and push a worker by comparing a CVerse or RW mod with another real life wrestler. Not copying everything about the real wrestler, but just having an idea on how to go about booking them.

Like 'this worker is my company's 80's Hogan' in that meaning the face of the company who all the fans love and gets all the main event matches, titles, etc.

I know I'd get the responses of 'if you're gonna have wrestlers be like that, why not use 'the real deal' and to that I say 'well it wouldn't be as fun for me at least'

I've had a few who I've been able to successfully book and use prominently just by thinking about other workers with similar gimmicks and personas or wrestling styles...

Joe Doering is one of the top dogs of the company and I've thought about him as my 'Batista' being a powerhouse brawler

Davey Richards: maybe the whole 'American Wolf' thing made me think of Rabid Wolverine Benoit, but since then I've thought to book him as the company's Benoit/Dynamite Kid, a ruthless technician.

Johnny Riggs or Dylan Klein: That cocky skunk-head hairstyle had me think of obnoxious wrestlers who think they're all that and a bag of chips, which I thought of Miz, and since then he's been my company's Miz.

Ken Doane: With his friendship with Ziggler and affiliation, I've thought of having Doane be my company's 'show-off'

Chris Hero: I definitely think of him as being my company's CM Punk. Technically gifted, charismatic, controversial

Amazing Red: In the RW game I have the bio compares him to a young Rey Mysterio, so going by that comparison he's my high flying, fast paced underdog.

They're not all knock offs, but when it comes to booking them and using them to their fullest potential, having someone to compare them to works best for me at least.

Not so much a specific wrestler, more as a gimmick. Now I have drawn on specific wrestlers for their gimmick since it was fairly unique, like Sean O'Haire's devils advocate. But I wasn't envisioning Darryl Devine as Sean O Haire, just him playing that type of character.

While I do see parallels among Cornellverse wrestlers and real world counterparts, I tend to develop my own idea of their character and personality ( which can be influenced by how they are characterized in some of the excellent diaries from the past. Seriously, Monkeypox has probably imprinted the eternal character of Eddie Peak on everybody who ever read his diary on this board.)

Part of why I like playing the Cornellverse rather than Real World mods, its feels like there is more freedom with cornellverse workers than real world ones who already have a defined history.

Yep, when I want freedom to do wtf ever I want with a character, it's CV for me - running an SWF game atm which is really fun.

However I similarly like RW mods as well, where I'll normally stick with the defined history of a worker yet can still use it to plot some nice storylines. Both have their merits and that's why I'm playing both but I never use a worker to compare to another, especially not when it comes to CV/RW. If I did that consciously (I think this sorta stuff DOES happen by accident however) then it'd beg the question why bother playing a CV game in the first place? This is why I avoid to put any CV character into a drawer that has, for example, John Cena, Triple H or The Rock written on it.

Nope.

In fact, I think needing to have a real world person to compare a worker to is a blatant lack of creativity.

Like Dragonmack said, using a gimmick is one thing but needing a person to essentially walk in a real world worker's footprints in the snow, is pointless to me.

I agree with Apu to an extent. I don't generally have the same problem as many, with real world workers having established track records and gimmicks. The most high profile women wrestlers to date have worked for one of two companies who barely give them enough time to establish personas or gimmicks (well, one of them. The other doesn't know what it wants to do).

I have tried many different scenarios including a complete mash up of both real and cornellverse worlds. I see the creativityand flexability in a cornellverse-- but I also see the side of taking a real world and taking it in the direction that you want it (how many times have you looked at a RW storyline and get angered by where it goes).

As far as people stating that there is a lack of creativity in making a Cornellverse pigionholed into a RW counterpart--there are around 10-20 storylines that have been rehashed every 4-7 years since the 80s that make up the bulk of what RW promotions due (with minor variations) -- and I look at it like going to a shakespeare play--its all in the delivery.

Just dowloading now-- Hope everyone is enjoying 2013!

Nope.

In fact, I think needing to have a real world person to compare a worker to is a blatant lack of creativity.

Like Dragonmack said, using a gimmick is one thing but needing a person to essentially walk in a real world worker's footprints in the snow, is pointless to me.

I agree with Apu to an extent. I don't generally have the same problem as many, with real world workers having established track records and gimmicks. The most high profile women wrestlers to date have worked for one of two companies who barely give them enough time to establish personas or gimmicks (well, one of them. The other doesn't know what it wants to do).

I agree with Apu, much harder for me to work with real world people as I feel like I have to get what they would do to correctly, and I feel creatively I get pigeonholed.

But, I do compare them with real world workers for a "mold" to throw them in, that I can break whenever I want. Example: I don't have a problem throwing a Stone Cold, Rock, or even Hogan type persona to a character... if I feel they kind of match up.

What I do more then anything is read the Bio's, and go from there. IF (love FOG) I can see enough of their stats to know what they are strong in, that effects them as well.... So I could have a technical wrestler that I compare to say... Brian Daniels in the ring, but could have a Tommy Dreamer type personality in promo's. A Steve Austin attitude with a Mic Foley skill set, etc. I've also used characters from movies as well. Sometimes I just roll the dice and get their personality from old DnD books I have, and go with it. These are just frames though.

Use the bio, get a picture in your head of how they act, what they want, what they can achieve and go from their. If it reminds you of some other "real life" character, I say go for it.

I will admit that some renders "look" really great, and I will push the heck out of them just because I like the render. It makes me happy, and at the same time I get the bonus of having even more of an upward climb sometimes. Quite a few of the default "Good Looking" renders, the skills aren't so great, or the looks don't match (in which I will admit to changing sometimes-but only in game, so I don't mess up the default database).

What I do more then anything is read the Bio's, and go from there. IF (love FOG) I can see enough of their stats to know what they are strong in, that effects them as well.... So I could have a technical wrestler that I compare to say... Brian Daniels in the ring, but could have a Tommy Dreamer type personality in promo's. A Steve Austin attitude with a Mic Foley skill set, etc. I've also used characters from movies as well. Sometimes I just roll the dice and get their personality from old DnD books I have, and go with it. These are just frames though.

Just outted yourself as a nerd. That's ok I've used some of the D&D random charts as well as some of the White Wolf archetypes and the GURPs charts when I don't have a specific idea for a character.

I never copy a real world wrestler, but will often take stereotypical molds for some people.

In my MAW game at the moment, I have Hollywood Bret Starr with Giant Brody as a bodyguard-like role. The cocky young worker using the monster to keep his title safe. It's been seen many times. I imagine Starr as a Miz-like character, but with the whole second (third?) gen attitude.

Then I have Cam Vessey playing a heel, but a heel who fights back (a bit like Sheamus was).

I hired Rayne Man for some extra experience for a reasonable price, and I treat him like Kofi Kingston or Chris Jericho in 2005...hella over, talented and still young enough to be a champion, but generally used to put the bigger stars over.

So yeah, I tend to find it a bit easier to base my characters on a stereotypical wrestling persona, but I still try to have some full-on originality...I had Boriken Love Machine Jr. be an actual machine who, after a feud with California Love Machine, had a malfunction and became The Hate Machine. His goal was to instigate hate in the company...sort of a reverse Cupid.

Archived