Understanding Popularity

I've been running a PSW game and am now several years into it. Rose to cult level, have a tv show, and am 12th ranked promotion. The problem i seem to be having now is not a single worker gains any popularity. I'd say for roughly a year or so every worker on the roster has been stalled at their current popularity. Any suggestions?

If I recall correctly, a few years ago Adam implemented a ceiling effect so that some workers with limited skills max out popularity after a certain point. It's possible that some of your guys may have hit that.

I personally don't agree with it and I'm sure there is a way around it, I'm not quite sure how though. Maybe someone else can help me with that. Perhaps editing popularity, even just a point, will "break" the ceiling effect?

I've found it very difficult for main event level wrestlers in general to gain popularity, especially when they are already very popular relative to their promotion (e.g. Greg Black in PSW), so it's not just you.

It's weird though that nobody in your undercard rose in overness. Usually all they need is a win or two.

I've found it very difficult for main event level wrestlers in general to gain popularity, especially when they are already very popular relative to their promotion (e.g. Greg Black in PSW), so it's not just you.

It's weird though that nobody in your undercard rose in overness. Usually all they need is a win or two.

I just did a search on the topic and yeah, it essentially confirmed that there is a randomized cap as far as how popular you can become. This is to prevent an A* guy from being jobbed out into the D's, however it works the other way around. It may be based partially on star factor skills but its mostly random. You may need to cheat in order to break the ceiling. I've noticed this with a couple of my wrestlers as well.

I just did a search on the topic and yeah, it essentially confirmed that there is a randomized cap as far as how popular you can become. This is to prevent an A* guy from being jobbed out into the D's, however it works the other way around. It may be based partially on star factor skills but its mostly random. You may need to cheat in order to break the ceiling. I've noticed this with a couple of my wrestlers as well.

Sure, but I very much doubt that you are going to start out in a promotion where everyone on the roster is already at their Overness ceiling and will never improve.

At least I've never seen that happen so far, usually at least some people will rise in popularity from winning matches (though usually not the main card).

Sure, but I very much doubt that you are going to start out in a promotion where everyone on the roster is already at their Overness ceiling and will never improve.

At least I've never seen that happen so far, usually at least some people will rise in popularity from winning matches (not the main card, though).

I don't think that's what he said. Maybe the OP can clarify, but I took it to mean that after several years of in game play, over the last year he's noticed that they have all stalled.

There is really not enough information to help with that at all. For one, we have no idea where their popularity is, outside of the promotion being Cult and ranked 12th place.

Has he been using the same workers for years? Is it possible he's just peaked them all out, by basically playing very well? Are they all regional stars now? Does he have less popular people beating more popular people? Does he have hot storylines? Does his Promotion even utilize storylines? Is the promotion based on Popularity or Skill in ring?

Just not enough information to really work anything out... I would imagine a promotion (just as an example) that rely's heavily on in ring skills, is going to max their characters out when they reach their in ring skill levels. Likewise, a popularity based promotion is going to rely heavily on Star Quality.

I'm curious about whats going on, but I'm not going to pretend to be able to even guess without more input on his actual game/style/and types of workers he has working for him.

Its currently week two, December 2018

I didn't give much more detail because i wanted this to be more of a generalized popularity help thread. My most over wrestler is my current world champion in Hell's Bouncer, current pop - B- in 4 regions ( all regions that my show is aired in) D in GL and PR and D- everywhere else.

Well after double checking he's now at a B in the 4 regions but the rest of his pop remains unchanged.

Matthew Keith is C- in 3 regions my show is on. C in Tri & SW. D+ everywhere else in the year time he's risen from upper midcard to main event (due to more popular people leaving) he's held wins over people ranging from the C+ to B.

Edd Stone has been at D+ in every region i'm not on TV in. C+ in the 4 that i am on tv in. He finally went up from C+ to B- in 2 of those regions after scoring the pinfall in a handicap match ( canadian animals vs bruce the giant 1vs2 match.)

Freddy huggins has been stagnant with a regional variance of c- to c+.

Anyone under main event ranges from a D+ down to F.

I remember reading somewhere that angles rated on menace or sex appeal were "adjusted" so people couldn't spam them to get people over. But were they negated entirely? I had a new hire with a 90 something menace rating debut in an angle where he was " unleashed " on someone with a regional pop of D- and televised pop of E+ and he didn't go up in popularity, the monster is F pop up to E- in two regions.

I don't run tv shows in any of the televised regions to try and raise popularity in the other regions and save those i air in for big shows, since i have yet to obtain a ppv deal.

The product is the same so its more popularity than performance.

I thought domination was supposed to help someone leech popularity off of more over workers? Also I don't think i'm understanding everything i've read about keep strong and protect road agent notes, as they relate to popularity.

I thought domination was supposed to help someone leech popularity off of more over workers? Also I don't think i'm understanding everything i've read about keep strong and protect road agent notes, as they relate to popularity.

It's been pretty thoroughly nerfed into the ground from 2010.

It tanks your match rating and destroys the jobber's popularity, all for a tiny gain of overness maybe, if and only if you have a guy with high Menace, high Charisma, and decent in-ring skills, in which case a regular victory would probably get you a better match anyway.

I remember reading somewhere that angles rated on menace or sex appeal were "adjusted" so people couldn't spam them to get people over. But were they negated entirely?

Sex appeal was eviscerated long ago (TEW07?) but this edition adjusted the menace/domination mechanic. It hasn't been negated entirely but as tambourin points out, if the domination mechanic works, chances are a normal match would work better. The exception is if you do those angles and matches in the preshow until such time as the worker in question improves (popularity and such), at which time you could possibly do it 'under the lights' without it harming you too much.

Basically, in order for the brute/domination strategy to work like it did in 2010, the "monster" has to have high menace, good to great charisma, AND excellent popularity. Even then it's iffy and you're still not likely to get the kinds of ratings you got in 2010 (angle rating = menace).

For you, about the only person on your roster who could benefit from using that strategy....is Bruce the Giant. But, he'd likely get better ratings in straight up matches.

I think Domination still works, but much, much less effective. I have workers that have high menace, high star quality, high charisma, and good skills, but low pop, and the effect is effect is nerfed quite a bit compared to TEW2010. That being said, it still works, just nowhere near as effective as it once was.

I think it encourages the use of Keep Strong or Protect, which have a less of effect but both can be used for longer matches, while you can't for Domination, and do not have as huge a match grade nerf.

Thank you all for your input and i'm trying to understand this as much as possible.

I've noticed a slow but steady increase in match grades as the workers gained popularity. But even now the match grades are the best they've been as are the tv ratings. But still no worker popularity increase with the exception of the two people that made half steps in 12 months time.

As far as road agent notes go it seems that Keep Strong contradicts itself, with the part that says " useful when trying to get someone over, or trying to talk someone into taking a loss. " I've had people with a popularity of E+ set to keep strong over someone with a popularity of C and there was still no increase. Also coincidentally i haven't seen the " burial " note do what it sounds like it should either.

I noticed your using letter grades, which is great don't get me wrong there. However, the use of letter grades will not show you the small progress people make month after month, if they don't go up whole points of popularity at a time.... You might want to look in your in game editor at their popularity, as you might see more going on then what you think...

Example of what I mean:

Worker one popularity watching their points.

Worker start with 66 pop

win 1 = 66.4

win 2 = 66.8

win 3 = 67.2

win 4 = 67.6

win 5 = 68

win 6 = 68.4

win 7 = 68.8

win 8 = 69.2

win 9 = 69.6

win 10 = 70

win 11 = 70.2

win 12 = 70.4

win 13 = 70.6

win 14 = 70.8

win 15 = 71

win 16 = 71.1

Now... Lets see how that looks with letter graded popularity

Wins 1 through 15 = C+

win 16 = B-

Now, I'm saying this without even knowing if your checking their actual popularity or not... but lets say the points you were getting were even lower per win, you can easily see how it would take a whole year to go up one letter grade.

It should be easier at lower levels of popularity, and as they get more popular, it would take more to get them over. What I mean is say someone has a 0 popularity, they might go up some serious whole points beating someone that has 20 popularity... but after they get up to the C range, it can drastically slow down, and if they max before that, it would slow down even earlier.

I noticed your using letter grades, which is great don't get me wrong there. However, the use of letter grades will not show you the small progress people make month after month, if they don't go up whole points of popularity at a time.... You might want to look in your in game editor at their popularity, as you might see more going on then what you think...

Example of what I mean:

Worker one popularity watching their points.

Worker start with 66 pop

win 1 = 66.4

win 2 = 66.8

win 3 = 67.2

win 4 = 67.6

win 5 = 68

win 6 = 68.4

win 7 = 68.8

win 8 = 69.2

win 9 = 69.6

win 10 = 70

win 11 = 70.2

win 12 = 70.4

win 13 = 70.6

win 14 = 70.8

win 15 = 71

win 16 = 71.1

Now... Lets see how that looks with letter graded popularity

Wins 1 through 15 = C+

win 16 = B-

Now, I'm saying this without even knowing if your checking their actual popularity or not... but lets say the points you were getting were even lower per win, you can easily see how it would take a whole year to go up one letter grade.

It should be easier at lower levels of popularity, and as they get more popular, it would take more to get them over. What I mean is say someone has a 0 popularity, they might go up some serious whole points beating someone that has 20 popularity... but after they get up to the C range, it can drastically slow down, and if they max before that, it would slow down even earlier.

I'll have to start monitoring them through the editor, however switching from letter grades to number grades did show a +1 improvement once in a great while. It did raise a new question, is there a worker pop spillover in place similar to whats used with promotion popularity?

I'll have to start monitoring them through the editor, however switching from letter grades to number grades did show a +1 improvement once in a great while. It did raise a new question, is there a worker pop spillover in place similar to whats used with promotion popularity?

I believe it's identical.

Archived