Bugs/Suggestions Thread

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="biedrins" data-cite="biedrins" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think it's worth noting that while this is usually the case with historical seasons, with generated players you do see a realistic rate of guys completely fail to live up to their draft position, #1 picks included.<p> </p><p> On a related note, some specific guys, usually PGs, are badly underrated. Big one is Derrick Rose; primarily because his ball-handling and passing are so low (and also I guess partially because the engine can't seem to deal with an inside-scoring PG), Rose grades out as a 3* guy in a 2012 start, averages ~15 points and something horrifying like 3.5 assists as a starter and usually goes straight to the bench and is out of the league as early as possible. In general, there seems to be an issue across the board with certain PGs putting up way lower numbers than they should do; Rondo, Ricky Rubio, John Wall and Jose Calderon are some other big examples of this in the historical DB. Not quite sure why this happens; maybe (except in the case of Calderon, that's probably just an athleticism thing) a thing where their inability to shoot is bringing it down excessively?.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Actually I noticed that Rose,Rubio, and Calderon usually gets moved to SG and from what I noticed if you are not a PG your assist numbers take a massive hit but yeah rose is underrated. Also I think think assist number for 2012 players may be down.</p><p> </p><p> Al Horford is someone you should look at also a player who doesnt really play inside much or force fouls yet still is able to get lots of points through jump shots.</p>

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>Messing around with the editor it just seems PGs need an inordinate amount of quickness. </p><p> </p><p>

If I had to guess I'd say Rose's should be around 150.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

I made a PG with 200 quickness and he finished about 7 tries a game at the rim.</p>

Messing around with the editor it just seems PGs need an inordinate amount of quickness.

If I had to guess I'd say Rose's should be around 150.

I made a PG with 200 quickness and he finished about 7 tries a game at the rim.

If you want someone who gets to the basket, they'll need INS,QKN, and JMP.

If you want someone who gets to the basket, they'll need INS,QKN, and JMP.

This appears to be the crux of the issue with Rose; his ball-handling and passing are a little underrated (e.g. below pretty much every starting PG, a dozen SGs and even a couple of bigs, which given he's one of the best ball-handlers in the league is A Bit Silly) but at under 70 his quickness is horrifyingly low given almost all PGs good enough for the league have 90+ (it's actually the worst in the database full stop for PGs in 2012, and by some margin)

Actually I noticed that Rose,Rubio, and Calderon usually gets moved to SG and from what I noticed if you are not a PG your assist numbers take a massive hit.

This seems to be more to the point generally, though; teams making stupid lineup decisions like "stick the better passer at SG because he's bigger" and "play with two starting PGs".

Brian is a jaded Bulls fan getting back at rose for missing the season. ;)

That should be fix but you can use the editor and make his quickness 100+ like it should be.

Also some important things for awards

The All League Team

The All-League team should not be decided by individual positions like PG-C.....it's just two guards, two forwards , and a center..like this year the 2nd team had no shooting guard..it was Westbrook and Parker both listed PGs. This is especially important in earlier years where almost every good post player is a C and a lot of undeserving players make the all league team just because they are listed by the game as being PF.

Or in the case a league having a lot of dominant Point guards like usually is the case in the late 50s and 2nd round picks making the all league 3rd team as a SG average 8 and 2.

Which brings me to another point, people should make the all-league team based on minutes logged at a particular position not what the game arbitrarily lists them as. Im in my second year and Paul Noel is starting at point guard for some team despite being listed as a PF.

I had George Mikan at PF for over a decade(due to playing with another C) and each year he makes the all-league team as a C instead of a PF where he actually spends the majority of his minutes.

This appears to be the crux of the issue with Rose; his ball-handling and passing are a little underrated (e.g. below pretty much every starting PG, a dozen SGs and even a couple of bigs, which given he's one of the best ball-handlers in the league is A Bit Silly) but at under 70 his quickness is horrifyingly low given almost all PGs good enough for the league have 90+ (it's actually the worst in the database full stop for PGs in 2012, and by some margin)

This seems to be more to the point generally, though; teams making stupid lineup decisions like "stick the better passer at SG because he's bigger" and "play with two starting PGs".

Derrick Rose importing at under 70 quickness is a side effect of the fact that he missed the whole year. I'll have to fix that. While looking into this I did find a bug that made it so almost all inbounds passes went to the PG. That is why you would see such a difference in assists and turnovers when playing SG vs PG.

Are teams valuing injured players less when it comes to trades?

I was able to get approval for a trade receiving Magic Johnson in his 4th year (blue/blue) for a 2nd year (yellow/blue) player and a 1st round pick (mid 1st round).

I decided to wait until Magic was healed 4 weeks later and propose again. There was literally nothing I could offer that would make them part with him.

One of the problems with lack of staff turnover is coaches never really ask for raises. They all want a 2 year extension at whatever their current rate is.

And while on demands, I still see the occasional FA ask for X amount. I offer it. Then get an email saying its acceptable. Upon looking at his demands again, they have changed. Sometimes drastically.

Are teams valuing injured players less when it comes to trades?

I was able to get approval for a trade receiving Magic Johnson in his 4th year (blue/blue) for a 2nd year (yellow/blue) player and a 1st round pick (mid 1st round).

I decided to wait until Magic was healed 4 weeks later and propose again. There was literally nothing I could offer that would make them part with him.

The game isn't supposed to allow injured players to be traded.

One of the problems with lack of staff turnover is coaches never really ask for raises. They all want a 2 year extension at whatever their current rate is.

And while on demands, I still see the occasional FA ask for X amount. I offer it. Then get an email saying its acceptable. Upon looking at his demands again, they have changed. Sometimes drastically.

I haven't been able to duplicate the issue with FA demands changing. If you get a save where it is consistently happening let me know. The problem is the initial demands not the updated ones.

Manu Ginobli was a "blue" player last year and immediately turned into a "yellow" player this year. However, his ratings don't look like those of a yellow player. Is there any explanation for this? My scout is current 87 and potential 68

http://i39.tinypic.com/33ynof6.png

Can you add the ability to use Control + F on play by play logs? Would make things a lot easier for just seeing how a particular player is doing.

Another thing is assists in every era seem way too low, and I believe part of the reason is because assists aren't properly being counted.

I've seen guys pass to the top of the key and a shot follows instantly and the game doesn't mention an assist.

Could there be a setting in which the game sets the optimal salary cap to promote realistic signings/salaries? By around the 8th simmed season teams are so over the cap with no way to shed salary that one or two all star level players are inevitably left to sign for sometimes as low as the veteran's minimum.

Could there be a setting in which the game sets the optimal salary cap to promote realistic signings/salaries? By around the 8th simmed season teams are so over the cap with no way to shed salary that one or two all star level players are inevitably left to sign for sometimes as low as the veteran's minimum.

You can set the computer to value the cap more using the league settings.

I put mine on about 3 and while theres a lot of undeserved max contracts, there aren't too many star players that dont get signed for at least 8k or so.

Also the reason for that is probably because the team that had bird rights on that player probably folded.

Right now, the game generates players who have only played one season with a 'baseline' quickness value (for instance, 60 for PGs), in much the same manner as what was happening with Derrick Rose. This normally isn't noticeable since the one-season guys are usually scrubs, but the one area where it's a problem is with players who entered the league in 2012 and thus only have the 2012 season under their belt - it's particularly a problem for guards; their low quickness means they're inevitably on a fast track out of the league. For instance, in one save I ran, Bradley Beal was waived before even playing a game for the Wizards, signed for my team on a minimum contract and averaged 15ppg, but the instant he left my team he was again waived and left for the Euroleague; meanwhile, Damian Lillard averaged 18/5 in his first season, lost the starting job in the second to Sebastian Telfair (!), and would have been in Europe/China in his third season if I hadn't picked him up (whereupon he averaged 24/5 and made the All-Star Game).

<p>Some further information re: the previous post: this applies to anyone with less than 83 NBA games played (so some players who have spent two or three seasons in the NBA but have also spent time in the D-League etc. are affected).</p><p> </p><p>

e: also they have to have played 83 games in the previous two years, so older guys like Chauncey Billups and guys like Aaron Brooks who spent time abroad also get hit by it. Some of these make sense, others not so much.</p>

<p>Apologies for the quadruple(!) post: it looks like the D-Rose issue was fixed by an override? So I guess this is the same issue as his. Interestingly, if you just set the 2013 season to a number of games (with no minutes played or anything) that puts them over 83 from 2011-2013, it fixes the issue, so maybe incorporate something like that automatically into the quickness calculation?</p><p> </p><p>

Also, not sure if this is something I've accidentally done or if it's an issue in the default DB, but most of Alan Anderson's attributes are overrode to 0.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Brian Nichols" data-cite="Brian Nichols" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thanks. The quickness issue was introduced when I was working on how to handle situations like D.Rose. It is now fixed along with the other DB issues you mentioned.</div></blockquote><p> Thanks, appreciate it. On the database more generally: is there any possibility of opening it up to edit via external program? There are times where I want to edit a large number of records (for instance, I'm currently planning to mess about with things to produce a 2012 player file which includes the guys who tend to bounce between foreign leagues and the NBA and so don't show up normally, and that'd require making greater or lesser modifications to the history of anywhere between 85 and 250+ players) and it's somewhat inconvenient to make bulk changes like that in the in-program editor.</p>

Archived