Bugs/Suggestions Thread

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="yeah826" data-cite="yeah826" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I heard Brian mention that he would not give the database out since this would allow just about anyone to decide to use his database for their games I.E. taking something away which makes his game stand out.</div></blockquote><p> There's not really anything in the database I can think of that couldn't pretty easily be ripped from basketball-reference or somewhere like that with a relatively modest effort. The ratings system is the innovative part of the database, and that's a dynamic calculation thing based off the stats and various other murky variables, so there shouldn't be an issue with opening up the stat database (rather than the ratings side of it) for editing in theory.</p>

The thing is it takes a lot of effort and time to get all the stats and input them manually into the database to just give someone access to all the stats so easily will just make the point of Brian collecting all those stats seem in vain.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="yeah826" data-cite="yeah826" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The thing is it takes a lot of effort and time to get all the stats and input them manually into the database to just give someone access to all the stats so easily will just make the point of Brian collecting all those stats seem in vain.</div></blockquote><p> They weren't input manually, though; all Brian's done with regards to the database itself is pulled the data from a source, moved around some columns, maybe matched some data up. The reason no-one's done a project like FBBPB3 before isn't because it's in any way seriously time-consuming to compile a database (at least, not for about the last five years), it's because actually writing a whole system to make use of that database well is difficult. </p><p> </p><p> I mean, ultimately, it's his game, but it seems like a waste to bar access to a potentially very useful modding tool over a concern like that (for instance, the potential's there to use it to generate full 2012 rosters for any vaguely relevant international league).</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="kikoursus" data-cite="kikoursus" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Another issue for imported saves.<p> </p><p> Games started: shows total games, but doesn't show per season.</p></div></blockquote><p> That info's not in the database, I think because it isn't recorded before 1981 so some places completely strip it from their databases (which is pretty ridiculous but hey).</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="biedrins" data-cite="biedrins" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That info's not in the database, I think because it isn't recorded before 1981 so some places completely strip it from their databases (which is pretty ridiculous but hey).</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Ok, but then, where did come from total started games?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="kikoursus" data-cite="kikoursus" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ok, but then, where did come from total started games?</div></blockquote><p> Oh, I misread, sorry; thought you were talking about the historical db. Don't know in that case.</p>

<p>Not sure what I could be doing to create this Runtime error.</p><p> </p><p>

I created a league using the tools manager. Names, cities, arenas, etc.</p><p> </p><p>

I go to start a new league, choose that created league of teams as the only active league, set the schedule, finances, click advance and the game hangs up.</p><p> </p><p>

Problem is, I can't create anything to save so I don't even know how to send a file if that's something to be looked at.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="biedrins" data-cite="biedrins" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thanks, appreciate it. On the database more generally: is there any possibility of opening it up to edit via external program? There are times where I want to edit a large number of records (for instance, I'm currently planning to mess about with things to produce a 2012 player file which includes the guys who tend to bounce between foreign leagues and the NBA and so don't show up normally, and that'd require making greater or lesser modifications to the history of anywhere between 85 and 250+ players) and it's somewhat inconvenient to make bulk changes like that in the in-program editor.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm willing to assist with editing a copy of the database if we can come up with an import format that can be read into the game...either some form of csv file or text file.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="kikoursus" data-cite="kikoursus" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Another issue for imported saves.<p> </p><p> Games started: shows total games, but doesn't show per season.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The totals for each season were not properly saved in old version saves.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Carlos" data-cite="Carlos" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not sure what I could be doing to create this Runtime error.<p> </p><p> I created a league using the tools manager. Names, cities, arenas, etc.</p><p> </p><p> I go to start a new league, choose that created league of teams as the only active league, set the schedule, finances, click advance and the game hangs up.</p><p> </p><p> Problem is, I can't create anything to save so I don't even know how to send a file if that's something to be looked at.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Send me (heavyreign@hotmail.com) the league file you created and I'll tell you what is causing the hang up.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Brian Nichols" data-cite="Brian Nichols" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm willing to assist with editing a copy of the database if we can come up with an import format that can be read into the game...either some form of csv file or text file.</div></blockquote><p> Seems the best way would be to have a player import and a season import (from csv), and add a limited export to the database that just gives you player names and the unique ID to go with that name. So, first, the player import csv would look like:</p><p> </p><p> </p><pre class="ipsCode">FirstName,LastName,League,Position,DOBM,DOBD,DOBY,Height,Weight,Number,College,City,State Ismet,Akpinar,ABA,1,5,22,1995,76,176,0,None,Hamburg,Germany Vule,Avdalovic,ABA,2,11,24,1981,75,185,0,None,Gacko,Bosnia and Herzegovina</pre><div></div><p></p><p> and that'd add the players to the database with no seasons under their belt (you could also add overrides at this step I guess). Then, the export IDs thing would give something like:</p><p> </p><pre class="ipsCode">PlayerID,FirstName,LastName 10001,Ismet,Akpinar 10002,Vule,Avadlovic</pre><div></div><p></p><p> and then you'd be able to do a season import like:</p><p> </p><pre class="ipsCode">PlayerID,Season,Team,Games,Minutes,FGM,FGA,FTM,FTA,3PM,3PA,OReb,Reb,Assists,Steals,TOs,Blocks,Fouls 10001,2012,,4,141,26,69,14,19,7,24,3,23,6,6,15,1,8 10002,2012,,18,467,43,97,31,33,14,45,5,50,57,11,29,3,47</pre><div></div><p></p><p> and with that, additions to the database can be made quickly and efficiently, and it's easy to make adjustments as necessary (e.g. in the Euroleague example I'd be adjusting season stats en-masse with the end goal of producing ratings properly comparable to the NBA rather than effectively having both leagues of identical strength, so I'd probably be doing multiple imports, testing, tweaking, and so on). You could also have the ID part in the player import and have it overwrite existing records where necessary (hence adding modification than addition), but I guess then the player would have to define the IDs for new imports and I don't know if that'd screw with things. Modification isn't the issue with how it's set up now really though.</p>

<p>Not sure if bug or intended but some players are going even beyond the possible cap of 200.</p><p> </p><p>

I saw Bill Russell's offensive rebounding potential at a whopping 218....don't have any problem with this if it's intended, I'm just wondering how, if at all it's possible to edit the database to cause other characters to exceed this number without using the default editor that only allows 200</p>

<p>This may not be possible at all, but I'll throw it out there anyways: </p><p> </p><p>

Would it be possible to have two competing leagues in the same country share a draft pool, so that a team from both leagues could draft the same player and then enter into a bidding war? Not sure if it would be, since draft pick contracts are automatically assigned, but it would make the NBA-ABA era even more fun to play. It would probably necessitate adding some rounds to the drafts though to compensate for losing a pick to the other league. Anyways, not sure if it is doable, and may be more trouble than its worth, but it would sure be cool.</p><p> </p><p>

Apologies if this has been asked/brought up before. Really enjoying the game, BTW.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jtlant" data-cite="jtlant" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This may not be possible at all, but I'll throw it out there anyways: <p> </p><p> Would it be possible to have two competing leagues in the same country share a draft pool, so that a team from both leagues could draft the same player and then enter into a bidding war? Not sure if it would be, since draft pick contracts are automatically assigned, but it would make the NBA-ABA era even more fun to play. It would probably necessitate adding some rounds to the drafts though to compensate for losing a pick to the other league. Anyways, not sure if it is doable, and may be more trouble than its worth, but it would sure be cool.</p><p> </p><p> Apologies if this has been asked/brought up before. Really enjoying the game, BTW.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It is something that is very complicated in terms of coding. I'd like to add it at some point but it likely wouldn't be in this version of the game.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TLCJR4LIFE" data-cite="TLCJR4LIFE" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not sure if bug or intended but some players are going even beyond the possible cap of 200.<p> </p><p> I saw Bill Russell's offensive rebounding potential at a whopping 218....don't have any problem with this if it's intended, I'm just wondering how, if at all it's possible to edit the database to cause other characters to exceed this number without using the default editor that only allows 200</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Not intended. Fixed for version 2.0.17.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Brian Nichols" data-cite="Brian Nichols" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It is something that is very complicated in terms of coding. I'd like to add it at some point but it likely wouldn't be in this version of the game.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yea, I had a hunch that might be the case. Thanks anyways for the response.</p><p> </p><p> On a mostly unrelated note, I noticed that Artis Gilmore's ABA career isn't listed in the historical database. He currently debuts as a rookie in '76, which is when he began his NBA career, rather than in '71 when he actually debuted for the ABA Colonels. Probably already been brought up, but figured I'd throw it out there.</p>

Any ETA on 3.0.17? Mostly wondering because I can't play at the moment because of the quickness bug, if it's still going to be a while I'll just go through the database and apply the temporary fix but I'd rather not do that if the new version's just around the corner anyway. Thanks again for all your work on the game.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Brian Nichols" data-cite="Brian Nichols" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Should be either today or tomorrow.</div></blockquote><p> Cool, thanks.</p>

<p>So I got a new arena approved. First problem is that the first year it goes live, it goes live AFTER you set ticket prices, so if your old arena doesn't have Suites, then Suites are $0 that first year. Second problem, after the first year, the Arena magically shrinks.</p><p> </p><p>

I built a 20,000, 4,000, 300 arena. After the first year, it shrank to 18,997, 2500, 160.</p><p>

I've attached a save file. You can check the arena stats, then immediately advance to the next stage and watch as the arena shrinks. </p><p> </p><p>

I tried to post a dropbox link but apparently I can't do that, so I'll just PM you the link.</p>

Archived