January 1997: A year focused on War

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag29/wwfvsnwa/Mod/WCW_zps7a90225f.jpg

After the completion of my first mod [thread=523915]1996 The War Begins[/thread] I've decided to do a follow on, eight months later with the start date January 1997. 1997 was an excellent year in wrestling as the boom period began, both companies tried to be as innovative and as cutting edge as possible to get ahead in the war, although WCW won for the whole year,
your
game could be different...attempt to turn things wrong for the WWF when they are in there worst state financially and in terms of wrestling quality in years, or takeover WCW and succeed where they failed in putting the WWF out of business!

What's Happening Now:

WCW:

. The nWo are in full power with Hollywood Hogan the reigning WCW World Champion, the group has expanded to a large size even including non wrestlers such as Ted Dibiase, Eric Bischoff and referee Nick Patrick.

. After being doubted by his former best friend Lex Luger and much of WCW, Sting has became in his words a 'free agent' and hasn't wrestled since Fall Brawl 96, he has also seen a change in character, becoming much more dark and carrying a bat as his weapon of choice.

. The Giant has just been removed from the nWo and has had an official face turn, how will his first face run play out?

. The cruiserweights have became a large part of the show, dominating the midcard and holding various titles.

. The introduction of Roddy Piper has done great business for the company, Piper is as popular as ever and beat Hollywood Hogan in a non title match at Starrcade.

WWF:

. With the WWF still looking for new stars, Owen Hart, Steve Austin, Rocky Mavia and Hunter Hurst Helmsley have all been given more television time.

. Shawn Michaels is still the top babyface and the number one contender heading into the Royal Rumble.

. Since losing Piper and Warrior as part time stars they began to push Sycho Sid who is the current WWF champion but isn't getting consistent heat with the fans.

. After Ted Dibiase left for WCW, Steve Austin has been giving a platform to talk for himself and is rising up the card to the number 2 heel position following winning King of the Ring and now feuding with the Hart Foundation.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm definitely no Genadi and hope he does come back soon! Just wanna create a few fun mods from interesting time periods to play, obviously right now I'm focussing on '97 but once that's complete I'm sure I'll be able to give '99 a shot if no one else has by then:D

First Update: Been working on WCW the past few days, done the updated roster, and promotion info & events, working on individual workers in the company right now etc heel/face and popularity, should have that and title lineages done by tonight. Start work on the WWF this upcoming week.

January 97 is pretty much my ideal starting point for a RW mod. Amazing, thank you so much for undertaking this.

Your 96 mod was great and I'm still enjoying it, but I'll definitely play the crap out of this one when it's released as well. :D

Cheers Camille, glad you enjoyed the previous mod, hoping this one will be even better, hopefully will get some decent progress on the WWF throughout the week.

1997 was one of my favorite times in wrestling. Hell Wrestlemania 13 is one of my favorite manias, Austin vs Bret, the 6 man Chicago street fight between the nation and the LOD with Ahmed, Sid vs Taker for the belt! awesome.

I don't get alot of sleep so my brain isn't always working at max and ended up downloading another MOD because I thought it was this one.

That means even my sleepy brain can't wait for this.

Thanks in advance for the work your putting in.

Can't wait to play this one.

In my opinion Shane Douglas was the best heel in the business at this point in time and it is absolutely criminal he wasn't featured on one of the sides of the Monday Night War until he had physically started to fall apart after his stellar ECW Title run where he worked injured!

1997 was one of my favorite times in wrestling. Hell Wrestlemania 13 is one of my favorite manias, Austin vs Bret, the 6 man Chicago street fight between the nation and the LOD with Ahmed, Sid vs Taker for the belt! awesome.

I don't get alot of sleep so my brain isn't always working at max and ended up downloading another MOD because I thought it was this one.

That means even my sleepy brain can't wait for this.

Thanks in advance for the work your putting in.

Can't wait to play this one.

In my opinion Shane Douglas was the best heel in the business at this point in time and it is absolutely criminal he wasn't featured on one of the sides of the Monday Night War until he had physically started to fall apart after his stellar ECW Title run where he worked injured!

Cheers guys glad your excited for the mod, did love Wrestlemania 13 but everyone knows it should have been Bret vs HBK II for the belt + I agree Shane Douglas was in his prime in 96 and should have been in either WCW or the WWF by 97.

Cheers guys glad your excited for the mod, did love Wrestlemania 13 but everyone knows it should have been Bret vs HBK II for the belt + I agree Shane Douglas was in his prime in 96 and should have been in either WCW or the WWF by 97.

Shane had a nice run in WWF in 1999-2001 when he changed his work name to "The Game"... Wait...

Hey, i saw this today, really great potential there. Some days ago i asked Hive if i could use his 1994 data as a base for another...it was going to be a 1997 one, but sure, even if i would go on to make in another month of '97 i think your mod is going to be better :) Guess i'll have to find another period to make a mod then. Good Luck pal, i'm sure going to play this.

Of course ha has...there goes MA. :D

Hopefully he's just bust atm and will return to complete MA since it's one if not the best mods ever for TEW

Hey, i saw this today, really great potential there. Some days ago i asked Hive if i could use his 1994 data as a base for another...it was going to be a 1997 one, but sure, even if i would go on to make in another month of '97 i think your mod is going to be better :) Guess i'll have to find another period to make a mod then. Good Luck pal, i'm sure going to play this.

Thanks Smasher & sorry for stealing your time period :p

Update: Just got the bulk of the ECW roster done, they had some really great storylines heading into '97 and also due to them now having PPV you'll notice the companies and top wrestlers popularity has increased a bit compared to the 96 mod.

When this comes out I'm not sure what to do. Do I run WWF and try to keep it alive and win back the day from WCW? Do i run WCW and not make the mistakes that drove it into the ground and try to kill off WWF? Do i lead the tribe of the eXtreme and turn ECW into a household name?

So many options! I can't wait.

Archived