Return to Glory

Big shake ups in the Top 25 during Washington's bye week. Here are the key games and the new top 25 (ooc- then we will get to the game against Cal).

#8 Alabama @ #9 LSU

LSU held off Alabama at home and moved up to #4 in this week’s poll with a 31-21 victory. LSU goes to 5-1 and takes control of the SEC west with the victory. Alabama drops to 5-2 and falls to #13 in this week’s poll

#1 Florida @ #18 Tennessee

The Gators have been rolling all season but the roll came to an end at Rocky Top as the Vols pulled off a shocker at home and beat former #1 Florida 21-17. Both teams are now 6-1 on the season.

#13 Georgia @ #22 Texas A&M

The Aggies beat Georgia who falls to 3-3 but still maintains a #16 ranking (dropped 3 spots), while A&M improves to 4-3 but falls in the poll to #23 (go figure that one out).

#14 OK State @ # 11 Texas

Texas beat Oklahoma State 31-16 and moves back into the top 5 while the Cowboys fall to 4-2 and #17 in the country.

#15 West Virginia @ #25 Texas Tech

West Virginia moves to 6-1 on the season with 27-10 victory in Lubbock over the Red Raiders.

Top Pac-12 Game #23 Stanford @ ASU

Stanford won a key game in the Pac-12 with a 35-21 victory over the Sun Devils in Tempe. Stanford has a game against WSU before a huge showdown with the Oregon Ducks.

Media Top 25 after week 8

1. South Carolina 8-0 (5-0) 1602 W, 40-0 Mississippi OPEN

2. Oregon 7-0 (4-0) 1549 OPEN OPEN

3. Florida 6-1 (3-1) 1500 L, 17-21at #11 Tennessee LSU

4. LSU 5-1 (3-0) 1430 W, 31-21 #13 Alabama at #3 Florida

5. Texas 5-1 (3-1) 1370 W, 31-16 #17 Oklahoma State Kansas

6. Ohio State 7-0 (4-0) 1298 OPEN at Indiana

7. Texas Christian 5-1 (3-1) 1227 W, 26-16 Baylor at #17 Oklahoma State

8. Florida State 6-1 (3-1) 1144 W, 27-10 at Georgia Tech Wake Forest

9. Purdue 6-1 (3-1) 1055 OPEN at Illinois

10. Michigan 6-1 (4-1) 983 W, 29-3 Michigan State Minnesota

11. Tennessee 6-1 (3-1) 921 W, 21-17 #3 Florida OPEN

12. West Virginia 6-1 (3-1) 856 W, 27-10 at Texas Tech Kansas State

13. Alabama 5-2 (2-2) 786 L, 21-31 at #4 LSU Kentucky

14. Oklahoma 4-2 (2-1) 734 W, 45-23 at Kansas Texas Tech

15. Notre Dame 6-1 (4-0) 670 W, 55-17 UMass Navy

16. Georgia 3-3 (1-3) 609 L, 10-20 at #23 Texas A&M OPEN

17. Oklahoma St 4-2 (2-1) 567 L, 16-31 at #5 Texas #7 Texas Christian

18. Virginia Tech 6-1 (4-0) 499 W, 23-10 Pittsburgh at Boston College

19. Auburn 6-1 (3-0) 418 W, 30-23 at Kentucky #23 Texas A&M

20. Northwestern 6-1 (3-1) 343 OPEN at Iowa

21. USC 6-2 (4-1) 266 W, 24-7 Washington State at Utah

22. Stanford 6-2 (4-1) 197 W, 35-21 at Arizona State Washington State

23. Texas A&M 4-3 (2-3) 128 W, 20-10 #16 Georgia at #19 Auburn

24. Maryland 7-1 (4-1) 104 W, 17-10 North Carolina at Pittsburgh

25. Arkansas 4-3 (1-3) 72 L, 21-26 Vanderbilt OPEN

Texas Tech 47, UCLA 47, Clemson 42, Louisville 42, Mississippi State 41, Rutgers 36, Washington 36, Vanderbilt 31, Iowa State 29, Wake Forest 28, Missouri 26, Nebraska 23, Boston College 23, Oregon State 21, Arizona State 20, Pittsburgh 18, Kentucky 13, Boise State 13, Arizona 10, South Florida 5, Miami 2, Penn State 2

Dropped out of the Top 25

Texas Tech (25), Mississippi State (24)

Other Husky news is the return from suspension of WR Johnson Albright which is huge for the Huskies, but unfortunately the AD announces more suspensions.

Subject: Washington academic eligibility report

The following Washington players are now eligible to return from their academic suspensions:

WR Johnson Albright

The following Washington players are now suspended:

RB Greg Cardona

TE William Warren

OT John Cook

DT Jerry Gray

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Washington 26 Cal 15

The Huskies started out this game and it didn’t look good. After a back and forth 1st quarter that saw no scoring, less than a minute into the 2nd quarter FB James Rutherford was sacked in the end zone for a safety and then on the ensuing drive Cal scored a TD on a 14 yard pass from Sylvester to Thomas Stout for a 9-0 at 11:11 left in the 2nd quarter.

Coach Martin quickly rallied the troops behind him and gave a fiery speech before the ensuing kickoff. It must have worked Washington came right back and scored a TD on a Carl Kelly 4 yard run and then kicked a FG of 20 yards by Henry Maedor to take a 10-9 lead at the end of the half.

Cal came out for its 1st possession after halftime and got a 50 yard FG by Gary Weston to grab a 12-10 lead, but it was short lived as Carl Kelly again stole the show and took the kickoff 88 yards for a TD and a 16-12 lead as the Dawgs missed the 2 pt conversion. Cal came right back with another field goal by Weston, this time a 29 yarder to cut the lead to 16-15 entering the 4th quarter.

Husky defense played big in the 4th, while giving up 403 total yards, they shut the Bears down on the ground only giving up 69 yards on 29 carries and they also intercepted 4 Cal passes. Carl Kelly rambled 85 yards with 8:18 left in the game to give the Huskies a 23-15 lead, and then Henry Meador knocked through a 34 yard FG to finish the scoring and give the Huskies a huge victory to move the to 5-2 on the season and 2-2 in the Pac -12. Cal fell to 4-5 on the season but 1-5 in conference play.

Carl Kelly was the player of the game with 155 yards on 26 carries for 2 TD’s and added the 3rd on the kickoff return that gave the Huskies the momentum to go on to win the game. Kelly also had 81 yards on 6 catches and totaled 359 yards in total offense counting his return yards of 123.

Coach Martin’s comments after the game – What a great game today by Carl Kelly, he really stole the show tonight. Amazing runs and he has been doing it all year and he has taken his game up a notch as well. I thought Charlie Samuel’s played well tonight too going 16-23 for 242 yards. He did throw the one pick but he put us in good position all night. The defense came to play tonight and while we gave up more yards than I would normally like, 4 pass interceptions was huge and we held their QB’s to less than a 50% completion percentage at 23-50 (46%). I am pleased with the progress we made this week. It shows that hard work pays off and these kids are now reaping the reward of having such a fine season. We have a few injuries that we will be looking at, I don’t think anything too serious but the injury to Johnson Albright has me a bit concerned. He is a key player for us and we missed him while he was out do to suspension and it would be a shame if he isn’t able to go.

Key national games today in week 9

TCU #7 @ Oklahoma State #17

The Cowboys bounced back from last week’s defeat to hand TCU a big blow to their Big 12 hopes with a 28-12 victory in Stillwater. OSU was up 28-0 at the half and gave up 4 FG’s in the 2nd half but was never really threatened.

LSU #4 @ Florida #3

Game day was in Gainsville this week and coach Corso picked it right. Florida was still reeling from the disappointing loss last week to Tennessee and dropped a big SEC battle for the 2nd week in a row by a 40-24 score. LSU moves up to #3 in the polls while Florida hangs in the top 10, but only at #9.

Fans are buzzing on message boards, on the airwaves, and in print as Washington has surprised everyone in going to 5-2 on the season after the victory over Cal last week. Now the Huskies have to dig in as they approach the final part of their schedule:

This week @ Oregon State

vs Oregon #2

vs Arizona State

@ San Diego State (nc)

vs Washington State

To get to 8 wins and likely to secure a bowl game the Huskies will have to win 3 of the remaining 5 games. They will likely be favored in the last two, but will be underdogs in the first 3 and that will be the key, winning one of the first 3. This week's game is in Corvalis against the Oregon State Beavers and the fans there are always ready for Washington.

The Matchup -

Washington 5-2 (2-2) vs Oregon State 4-3 (2-2)

Oregon State is a 5 point favorite this week in Corvalis

Washington leads the all-time series 59-34-4

Washington has the edge statistically in both offensive and defensive numbers this year #45/#72 compared to OSU’s #78/#113

Subject: Weekly injury report

Weekly injury report

WR Johnson Albright is struggling with an injury to his Toe (Torn Tendon). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

TE William Warren is really hampered by an injury to his Neck (Spinal Compression). He could play as an absolute last resort, but we would strongly advise against it.

OT Anthony Jackson is struggling with an injury to his Shoulder (Subluxation). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

OG John Richardson is struggling with an injury to his Jaw (Broken). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

Oregon State 25 Washington 20

The Huskies might look back and wish they could have this one back. The Huskies offense was as ineffective as it has been all season against an Beavers defense that has struggled most of the season. Washington just managed 296 yards of total offense and only 5 on the ground on 23 carries. Oregon State countered with a very balanced offense as they gained 441 yards with 225 on the ground and 216 through the air.

Joseph Weber of OSU had a great game rushing 32 times for 192 yards and a TD. QB Donald Mills had an effective 20-32 216 yards 2 TD's and 1 int. Even with all of this, the Huskies were in this game and had thoughts of winning it. Tied at the half and only trailing 12-10 at the end of 3 quarters. Washington battled back from falling behind 25-10 to score 10 points and have the ball moving down the field, when a Ryan York pass was intercepted at the OSU 29 yard line with 45 seconds left. The victory moves the Beavers into 3rd place in the Northern Division of the Pac 12 at 3-2 5-3 overall. Washington drops to 5-3 overall and 2-3 in the conference.

Washington (5-3) 7 3 0 10 20

Oregon State (5-3) 3 7 2 13 25

Coach Martin's comments after the game
- (the coach is obviously irritated). This one guys was hard. I believe we had an opportunity here tonight, but I can't take anything away from Oregon State. Their teaming and coaching staff earned this game tonight, but man, it does hurt.

This was a total team disappointment tonight as on defense we simply couldn't get them off the field. Their running game pounded us and pounded us all night. They had us guessing and mixed their plays well. I give them credit for an excellent game plan and execution of that game plan.

On offense, that was our worst game of the season. The Beavers defense has struggled a lot this season, but they have a lot of talent and they put together a very solid game tonight, but we helped them out. We just couldn't get anything going on the ground and we are not explosive enough in our passing game to just have no semblance of a running game to compliment it.

All that said, my gut tells me we let one get away tonight that we could have had and that is disappointing.

Top National Games -

Ohio State #6 30 Purdue #8 13

Oklahoma #11 38 West Virginia #18 7

Georgia #19 16 Tennessee #9 14

Media Top 25

1. South Carolina 9-0 1592 Won @ Miss St 27-20 vs #8 Florida

2. Oregon 8-0 1532 Won Stanford 29-9 @ Washington

3. LSU 6-1 1462 Open vs #15 Auburn

4. Florida St 8-1 1389 Won Virginia 31-6 @ #22 Clemson

5. Michigan 8-1 1339 Won @ NW 44-31 Open

6. Ohio State 9-0 1253 Won Purdue 30-10 vs Iowa

7. Texas 7-1 1164 Won at Iowa St 73-28 @ Kansas State

8. Florida 6-2 1102 Won Vanderbilt 23-21 @ #1 S. Carolina

9. Oklahoma 6-2 1034 Won W. Virginia 38-7 @ Baylor

10. Alabama 7-2 967 Won @ Texas A&M 41-12 Open

11. Oklahoma St 6-2 908 Won Baylor 34-14 @ Iowa State

12. TCU 6-2 848 Won Texas Tech 17-10 vs #23 W. Virgina

13. Purdue 7-2 793 Loss Ohio St 10-30 Open

14. Tennessee 6-2 725 Loss @ Georgia 14-16 @ Missiouri

15. Auburn 7-1 679 Open @ #3 LSU

16. Notre Dame 7-1 634 Open @ BYU

17. Virgina Tech 8-1 593 Won @ Syracuse 42-23 Open

18. USC 7-2 541 Open @ Arizona State

19. Maryland 9-1 473 Won Boston Coll 41-3 Open

20. Georgia 4-3 405 Won Tennessee 16-14 @ Vanderbilt

21. Louisville 7-1 356 Won Houston 44-31 @ Rutgers

22. Clemson 6-2 301 Won @ Miami 48-27 vs #4 Florida St

23. West Virginia 6-3 245 Loss @ Oklahoma 7-38 @ #12 TCU

24. Arkansas 5-3 177 Won Kentucky 38-6 Open

25. UCLA 8-2 106 Loss Arizona 16-44 Open

Others - Stanford 80, Arizona State 52, Northwestern 49, Oregon State 44, Rutgers 41, Washington 41, Texas A&M 39, Boise State 39, Wake Forest 37, Iowa 36, Arizona 32, Texas Tech 28, Nebraska 24, Cal 20, Vanderbilt 18, Missouri 18, Western Kentucky 18, Iowa State 15, Kent State 15, Pitt 10, Miss St 6, Wisconsin 3

Dropped out of Top 25 - Stanford (21), Northwestern (23)

After the Oregon State game, the Huskies have closed practice this week in preparation for the game against Oregon. The Ducks are coming to Husky stadium 9-0 and ranked #2 in the country and have won 9 straight games against the Huskies which doesn't set well with the Washington fans. Interviews have been short this week as the obvious hang over from the tough loss at Oregon State has cool the excitement a bit and the momentum of the program.

Coach Martin is on the air with Mitch in the Morning and still sounds like he is in a surly mood.

Mitch - Coach I know last week was a tough loss but I want to congratulate you on what has been a hell of a turn around season for this team.

Coach Martin - Mitch I appreciate the support, thanks.

Mitch - It is obvious that the game last week left a sour taste in your mouth.

Coach - Mitch we have moved on. What has me disappointed right now is the preparation of the team for this week against Oregon. I am not seeing the same fire that I have seen in the 1st half of the season. Maybe we achieved a little bit too much success after that Cal win and in the 1st half that it went to our heads. It is my job and that of the entire coaching staff to get the kids to move forward and past the Oregon State game. We have Oregon coming in this week and if we are not ready that is a team that can blow you out in 1 quarter.

Mitch - Have you moved on from that game last week?

Coach - Yes, while I was upset at the time, once we were back home I was preparing for Oregon. That should be our only focus now.

Mitch - The Ducks come in with one of the top offenses in the country. How will you guys stop that offense this week with the defense struggling like it has honestly for the last month. They do not appear to be the same group that we saw in the 1st portion of the schedule.

Coach - We continue to produce turnovers while is a very good thing. Yes we have given up a lot of yards and in the last several weeks we have struggled getting teams off the field. Some people say injuries or suspension of a couple of key players is the cause, but I don't look at it that way. Football is a tough game and you never know when injuries will happen. They can't be an excuse and the next man up has to step into the situation and produce. It is also up to the coach staff to get those kids ready and we haven't done as good a job of that in the last few weeks. Now to get to your question about how do we stop Oregon, I don't think you stop Oregon completely but you can force them into mistakes and if our offense does what it is supposed to do, we can limit their opportunities. But we must come out with fire in the game. Honestly that spark was missing a bit last week and we need to get that fire lit again and quickly.

Mitch - Coach at 5-3, do you believe that you have an opportunity for a bowl? I don't think you can sneak into the 16 team playoff this year, but a bowl game still seems available to you.

Coach - Mitch, right now Oregon is my focus. Yes would we like to go to a bowl, certainly but with our recent history I believe that we must get to 8 wins and be at least 4-4 in conference. A loss this week would put us at 2-4 in conference and basically make the last 3 games must wins to achieve that. We go out every week and try to win, so of course I am still looking at 9 wins and if we go out and do that then who knows maybe we can still get into the national playoff, even if those odds appear extremely long. Our goal is to continue to compete, improve and WIN!

Washington vs Oregon at Husky Stadium

Ducks have won 9 straight in the series but Washington leads all time 58-2-5

Oregon is 15 pt favorite and ranked #2 in the country

Injury report

WR Johnson Albright is struggling with an injury to his Toe (Torn Tendon). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

TE William Warren is really hampered by an injury to his Neck (Spinal Compression). He could play as an absolute last resort, but we would strongly advise against it.

OT Anthony Jackson is trying to play through an injury to his Shoulder (Subluxation). He seems willing to give it a go, but we would recommend giving him another week to recover.

OG John Richardson is currently battling an injury to his Jaw (Broken). He is getting better and able to play, but you might want to sit him out one more week.

SS Jesse Cooper is recovering from an injury to his Toe (Torn Tendon). He seems to be progressing well and we recommend playing him this week.

Subject: In season recruiting visit - TE C. Young

We just learned that TE Carlos Young is interested in visiting our game this weekend against Oregon. He is a 4-star rated player ranked No. 195 in the nation. He rates as the 8th best TE and No. 39th in the West region.

Oregon #2 38 Washington 20

Oregon 3 21 7 7 38

Washington 0 0 6 14 20

The Husky offense continued its recent slumber in the 1st half generating only 75 yards and 3 first downs. While the defense kept Oregon out of the end zone in the 1st quarter only giving up 3 points, they couldn't do that in the 2nd as the Oregon blitzkreg offense scored 21 points and lead at the half 24-0. The Huskies held a meeting on the field for several minutes with Coach Martin really letting his team have it. In his comments to the local radio he was very upset with the effort of his team.

The Huskies came out of the locker room late for the 2nd half, but they must have heard the message as they came out with much more fire even though they were down 24-0. The Huskies scored 2 offensive TD's on Charles Samuel passes to Kelly and Roberts and the defense forced a fumble and got a 58 yard return by Dean Perkins.

If you are into morale victories (Coach Martin is not), you have to be inspired by the 2nd half performance as the offense gained 230 yards of the 305 in the 2nd half. They outscored Oregon 20-14 in the 2nd half and even forced the Ducks into 1-7 in 3rd down efficiency in the 2nd half.

Even with those improvements the Huskies didn't stop the Ducks all everything running back Robert Thompson who ran 27 times for 271 yards and 3 TD's. The Huskies had trouble holding onto the ball for one of the few times this season as they had 3 interceptions and lost 3 of the 4 times they fumbled. While they managed to force 3 turnovers of their own, they were not able to overcome all the turnovers and short fields that they provide to the high powered Ducks.

Washington is now 5-4 on the season and 2-4 in conference play, while Oregon is 9-0 overall and 6-0 in conference play. Oregon maintains their #2 rating after the weekend's games

Coach Martin's comments after the game - Ok I will address right now the situation at halftime. I haven't seen a team of mine ever come out like the way we did today. Uninspired, and simply not ready to play. That is on us the coaching staff and we will not come out like that again. I have been asked what was said at halftime on the field and in the locker room and it is simple. I questioned the heart of this team. I challenged them as men to step up and show this university and these 53,000 on hand that they are proud to wear the purple and the gold. I promised them that we will hold accountable all the efforts and if we do not believe that you are putting out the appropriate efforts, then we will put players in that will. We were embarrassed by our 1st half and it was not acceptable, period.

I expect an exceptional level of practice this week and those practices will decide who will be playing and starting here at Husky Stadium next week against Arizona State. We will bounce back, I expect we will and so does the team. I am proud of the way we competed in the 2nd half against a team the caliber of Oregon. Our goal is that we will continue to progress to play an entire game at that level against that type of quality opponent. I will give Oregon the highest compliment I can and say the success they have had, that is where we want to be. They are the measuring stick and we see where we are right now, but we will not give up or quit.

Top National games

#1 South Carolina 41 #8 Florida 17

#3 LSU 64 #15 Auburn 10

#4 Florida St 33 @#22 Clemson 3

Rutgers 37 #24 Louisville 3

Media top 25 Poll

1. South Carolina 10-0 1606 won #8Florida 41-17 Open

2. Oregon 9-0 1534 won @ Washington 38-20 vs Cal

3. LSU 7-1 1477 Won #15 Auburn 64-10 @ Kentucky

4. Florida State 9-1 1404 Won @#22 Clemson 33-3 @ UNC

5. Texas 8-1 1339 Won @ Kansas St 42-10 vs #10 TCU

6. Ohio State 10-0 1253 Won Iowa 47-7 @ Wisconsin

7. Michigan 8-1 1196 Open vs Iowa

8. Oklahoma 7-2 1120 Won @ Baylor 50-6 @ Kansas St

9. Alabama 7-2 1060 Open vs Miss St

10. TCU 7-2 996 Won W. Virginia 25-23 @ #5 Texas

11. Oklahoma State 7-2 920 Won @ Iowa St 31-7 vs Texas Tech

12. Tennessee 7-2 856 Won @ Missouri 24-23 vs Texas A&M

13. Purdue 7-2 796 Open vs Minnesota

14. Virginia Tech 8-1 731 Open vs Wake Forest

15. USc 8-2 689 Won @ Arizona St 30-17 Open

16. Florida 6-3 618 Loss @#1 S. Carolina 17-41 @ #18 Georgia

17. Maryland 9-1 549 Open @ Georgia Tech

18. Georgia 5-3 505 Won @ Vanderbilt 45-17 vs #16 Florida

19. Rutgers 8-2 461 Won #21 Louisville 37-3 @ Uconn

20. Notre Dame 7-2 374 Loss @ BYU 17-23 vs Army

21. Auburn 7-2 320 Loss @#3 LSU 10-64 vs #24 Arkansas

22. UCLA 8-2 268 Open vs LA Tech

23. Clemson 6-3 219 Loss #4 Florida St 3-33 Open

24. Louisville 6-1 167 Loss @ Rutgers 3-37 vs S. Florida

25. Arkansas 5-3 106 Open @ #21 Auburn

Others - Stanford 75, West Virginia 42, Boise State 37, Northwestern 32, Oregon St 28, Arizona State 26, Arizona 21, Texas Tech 21, Texas A&M 18, Nebraska 18, Cal 16, Boston College 16, Miss St 16, Kent State 16, South Florida 16, Washington 11, Kentucky 8, North Carolina 6, Pitt 5

Dropped out of Top 25

West Virginia (23)

BCS Rankings

1. S. Carolina .990

2. Oregon .949

3. LSU .912

4. Florida St .865

5. Texas .820

6. Ohio State .806

7. Michigan .712

8. Oklahoma .683

9. Alabama .678

10. Tennessee .550

11. Virginia Tech .549

12. OKlahoma St .546

13. TCU .507

14. USC .475

15. Maryland .424

Arizona St (3-3) 6-3 at Washington (2-4) 5-4

Sun Devils are 5 pt favorites

All time series is tied 15-15

Washington is happy to announce all academic suspensions have been lifted….

Subject: Washington academic eligibility report

The following Washington players are now eligible to return from their academic suspensions:

RB Greg Cardona

TE William Warren

OT John Cook

DT Jerry Gray

Injury report

OT Anthony Jackson is recovering from an injury to his Shoulder (Subluxation). He seems to be progressing well and we recommend playing him this week.

OG John Richardson is currently battling an injury to his Jaw (Broken). He is getting better and able to play, but you might want to sit him out one more week.

DE Ian Walker is struggling with an injury to his Groin (Hernia). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

DE George Westmoreland is trying to play through an injury to his Head (Skull Fracture). He seems willing to give it a go, but we would recommend giving him another week to recover.

CB Jamie Lee is recovering from an injury to his Head (Mild Concussion). He seems to be progressing well and we recommend playing him this week.

Subject: In season recruiting visit - CB N. Harris

We just learned that CB Neal Harris is interested in visiting our game this weekend against Arizona State. He is a 4-star rated player ranked No. 237 in the nation. He rates as the 23rd best CB and No. 47th in the West region.

Washington 19 Arizona St 16 (2 OT)

In a heavy downpour for most of the night at Husky Stadium on this November night, the two teams battled to a 13-13 tie at the end of regulation. ASU was driving right before the end of the game but as time was running out at the UW 42, ASU completed a 20 yard pass with only 4 seconds left, but FB Thomas fumbled the ball and it was recovered by Justin cooper of Washington.

To begin the OT, Washington won the toss and elected to let ASU have the ball first. On 3 plays the Sun Devils went a total of 6 yards so Juan Garrett trotted out to try and 37 yard FG and ASU took a 16-13 lead.

Washington then took over and proceeded to lose 4 yards on 1st down on a Kelly run, then Samuel threw an incompletion and then on 3rd and 14 they ran FB Rutherford for a loss of -2 yards. So in the Husky 3 plays they netted -6 yards. Henry Meador then came on to try a 49 FG which would tie his season long. Previously he was 2-4 on FG's but the rain was a little less than it was earlier. Meador nailed the 49 yarder and that sent the game to the 2nd OT.

In the second OT, Washington started out with the ball and Ryan York proceeded to toss 3 straight incompletions. So again a 40+ plus yard FG attempt in less than desirable conditions. Meador stepped up and nailed the 43 FG for a 19-16 lead. The 2 drives from the ASU 25 yard line had been 6 plays for -6 yards, but they got the 2 FG from it.

Now it was ASU's turn to try and end the game. They gained 2 yards on 1st down and then 4 more on 2nd down. Prior to the snap on 3rd and 4, ASU was called for a false start and then on 3rd and 9 QB Schultz was sacked for a 4 yard loss. The last 2 plays costs ASU 9 precious yards and made the FG attempt 46 yards. Juan Garrett came on and missed the 46 FG wide badly and Washington had somehow found a way to win the game. With the victory the Huskies moved to 6-4 (3-4). ASU dropped to 6-4 on the season as well.

Statistically, ASU dominated the statistics.

ASU UW

First Downs 25 13

Total Yards 449 210

Rushing Yards 49-217 46-109

Passing Yards 232 101

Passing 21-35-1 5-28-0

Turnovers 5 0

FG's 3-4 4-6

TOP 32:26 27:34

3rd down 5-16 3-20

The key stat of the game was the fact that ASU had 4 fumbles and 1 interception. Obviously having difficulty in the rain, ASU failed to convert all those yards into points.

Husky QB's were an amazingly bad 5-28 for 101 yards with 1 TD and 0 Int's. Ryan York was 4-24 and Samuels was 1-4.

Coach Martin's comments after the game - (smiling and wiping the rain out of his eyes). Well as disappointing as last week was this game brought a smile to my face. The weather played a factor tonight and we were able to hang onto the ball. We didn't move it much, but we didn't give it away and tonight that was the difference in the game. The TV press gave ASU RB Thompson the player of the game award but I don't think there is anyway that Henry Maedor doesn't get it if you are a Washington fan. What a couple of clutch FG's that young man stepped up and made in those conditions. Amazing job! And while we again gave up 400+ yards on defense, we generated 5 turnovers. Bend and bend but don't break and tonight we didn't break much.

We will continue to look at the game film because really other than the 2nd half against Oregon we are in an offensive slide. Getting Johnson back at WR will be a huge help to us next week in a full time capacity. He adds so much to our passing game. We are going to work on things and try and be better offensively for San Diego State next week.

Top National Games - Week 13

#5 Texas 29 #10 TCU 0

#16 Florida 34 #18 Georgia 10

#25 Arkansas 17 #21 Auburn 10

Media Top 25

1. South Carolina 10-0 1597 Open vs Vanderbilt

2. Oregon 10-0 1542 Won Cal 45-13 Open

3. LSU 8-1 1474 Won @ Kentucky 20-10 vs #12 Tennessee

4. Texas 9-1 1420 Won #16 TCU 29-0 Open

5. Ohio State 11-0 1347 Won @ Wisconsin 34-13 Open

6. Florida State 10-1 1274 Won @ UNC 42-17 Open

7. Michigan 9-1 1201 Won Iowa 38-14 vs #18 Notre Dame

8. Oklahoma 8-2 1120 Won @KSU 43-10 Open

9. Alabama 8-2 1058 Won Miss St 20-12 Open

10. Virginia Tech 9-1 978 Won Wake Forest 41-0 @ Miami

11. Oklahoma St 8-2 910 Won Texas Tech 13-11 Open

12. Tennessee 8-2 856 Won Texas A&M 24-17 @#3 LSU

13. Purdue 8-2 809 Won Minnesota 20-10 Open

14. Maryland 10-1 736 Won @ Georgia Tech 50-9Open

15. Florida 7-3 673 Won @#18 Georgia 34-10 Open

16. TCU 7-3 622 loss @ #5 Texas 0-29 Open

17. USC 8-2 580 Open Open

18. Notre Dame 8-2 528 Won Army 38-7 @ #7 Michigan

19. UCLA 9-2 452 Won LA Tech 22-6 Open

20. Rutgers 9-2 374 Won @ Uconn 23-17 Open

21. Clemson 6-3 286 Open vs Virginia

22. Arkansas 6-3 219 Won @#21 Auburn 17-10 vs Ole Miss

23. Georgia 5-4 167 Loss #16 Florida 10-34 @ Missouri

24. South Florida 7-3 106 Won @ Louisville 27-24 Open

25. Auburn 7-3 76 Loss #25 Arkansas 10-17 Open

Others - Boise State 50, Stanford 47, Nebraska 46, West Virginia 41, Louisville 39, Oregon State 36, Washington 34, Northwestern 32, Arizona 29, Kent State 26, Arizona State 26, Miss State 23, Texas Tech 21, Western Kentucky 21, Vanderbilt 20, Texas A&M 18, Missouri 13, Cal 10, Wake Forest 5, Washington State 2, Indiana 2

WR Johnson Albright is currently battling an injury to his Toe (Torn Tendon). He is getting better and able to play, but you might want to sit him out one more week.

TE Walter Vazquez is really hampered by an injury to his Groin (Hernia). He could play as an absolute last resort, but we would strongly advise against it.

TE William Warren is struggling with an injury to his Neck (Spinal Compression). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

OT Anthony Jackson is recovering from an injury to his Shoulder (Subluxation). He seems to be progressing well and we recommend playing him this week.

DE Ian Walker is struggling with an injury to his Groin (Hernia). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

DE George Westmoreland is trying to play through an injury to his Head (Skull Fracture). He seems willing to give it a go, but we would recommend giving him another week to recover.

Washington 6-4 @ SD State 7-3

Washington leads the all-time series 3-0

Washington is a 6 point favorite in the game against the Aztecs.

Washington 31 San Diego State 24

Washington (7-4) 7 7 3 14 31

San Diego State (7-4) 0 10 7 7 24

Washington broke a 17-17 in the 4th quarter with 2 TD's one a defensive 51 yard interception return by Thomas Lang, and the other Ryan York's 3rd TD pass of the game a 16 yarder to James Roberts to win 31-24 over a very game San Diego State team. Washington was led by York finally taking the reigns of the offense and going 12-20 with 3 TD passes and 204 yards of passing offense. RB Kelly ran 22 times for 87 yards as well.

San Diego State had some success of its own as Craig Carr completed 19-37 for 263 yards with 2 TD passes and 1 INT, but the INT by Thomas Lang was the swing point in the game that led to the victory for Washington 7-4 (3-4). San Diego State fell to 7-4 on the season in the non-league game.

The Washington defense finally held an opponent to under 400 yards as SD State just managed 385 of offense. The Huskies are still not completely clicking offensively, but it was better as they managed 342 yards.

York was named player of the game for his performance.

Coach Martin comments after the game - This San Diego State team was a good team and they will be in the Mountain West Title game so this was a very good late season non-conference road test for us. I liked the way Ryan York played tonight as he has been working hard along with the other guys on offense and they had some plays tonight, but the key was no mistakes. San Diego State didn't make many mistakes but we capitialized on the one they had in the 4th quarter.

We have a big week ahead as it is Apple Cup week. While Washington State has struggled on the field won/loss wise, they are a very capable team and can beat anyone in this conference. We expect a very tough physical game next Saturday night, but it will be great to be back home and hopefully end the regular season on a winning note.

Washington State Cougars vs Washington Huskies

106th Apple Cup – Washington leads all-time series 67-32-6

Washington is a 13 pt favorite

Subject: Team Recovery Report

OT Anthony Jackson has fully recovered from the injury to his Shoulder (Subluxation).

WR Johnson Albright is recovering from an injury to his Toe (Torn Tendon). He seems to be progressing well and we recommend playing him this week.

TE Walter Vazquez is struggling with an injury to his Groin (Hernia). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week.

TE William Warren is currently battling an injury to his Neck (Spinal Compression). He is getting better and able to play, but you might want to sit him out one more week.

OT John Cook is currently battling an injury to his Ankle (Nerve Injury). He is getting better and able to play, but you might want to sit him out one more week.

DE Ian Walker is trying to play through an injury to his Groin (Hernia). He seems willing to give it a go, but we would recommend giving him another week to recover.

DT Jerry Gray is saddled with an injury to his Elbow (Torn Cartilage). His performance would certainly suffer if you played him so we recommend letting have a little more time to get back closer to 100%.

CB Jamie Lee is currently battling an injury to his Thumb (Torn Tendon). He is getting better and able to play, but you might want to sit him out one more week.

Subject: In season recruiting visit - DT K. Davis

We just learned that DT Keith Davis is interested in visiting our game this weekend against Washington State. He is a 3-star rated player ranked No. 369 in the nation. He rates as the 25th best DT and No. 73rd in the West region.

Washington Huskies 29 Washington State Cougars 7

Washington State (3-8) 7 0 0 0 7

Washington (8-4) 3 10 6 10 29

The 106th Apple Cup was played at Husky Stadium in front of a season high 59,324 fans and the Huskies did not disappoint the majority of those fans. Washington used its best offensive performance in over a month. Ryan York was 17-26 for 236 yards and 1 TD. Carl Kelly rushed 19 times for 171 yards and 2 TD's in leading the Huskies offense to 526 yards.

The Cougars moved the ball 428 yards but were not able to move into the Husky red zone more than twice, scoring 1 TD but fumbling another opportunity.

With the victory for the Huskies they moved to 4-4 in conference and 8-4 overall. The Cougars fell 2-6 in conference and 3-8 overall. Washington will be awaiting to see if they get a bowl game invite, but with several representatives in the stands from Sun, Alamo, Las Vegas and Music City Bowls, they are likely to get an invite from a game.

First Quarter

WASH FG 12:28 3-0 Henry Meador 44 YD

WAST TD 01:48 7-3 Randolph Bragg 4 YD Run (Mauricio Garner Kick).

Second Quarter

WASH TD 13:31 10-7 Johnson Albright 33 YD Pass from Ryan York (Henry Meador Kick).

WASH FG 00:04 13-7 Henry Meador 21 YD

Third Quarter

WASH TD 06:56 19-7 Carl Kelly 2 YD Run (2 Pts Failed)

Fourth Quarter

WASH FG 14:44 22-7 Henry Meador 39 YD

WASH TD 08:19 29-7 Carl Kelly 69 YD Run (Henry Meador Kick).

Coach Martin's comments after the game - (a very happy and smiling head coach) What a great game tonight. I am so happy for these kids who have worked so hard this season. They have overcome so much from the last several years that it is great to have these 9 seniors go out on such a great note. The fans of Husky Nation have supported us so well this year that I am proud to be holding the Apple Cup.

(answering a question from a report about a potential bowl game) - Yes I believe we do deserve to be invited and we look forward to continuing our preparation. While the Bowl experience will be great for the kids and fans, this coaching staff is going to look forward to working with our kids and continue the practices that come with the bowl experience.

Top National Games - Week 14

Oklahoma 32 Oklahoma State 14

USC 34 UCLA 13

Army 14 Navy 3

National Games - Week 15

South Carolina 31 Clemson 29

LSU 34 Arkansas 18

Florida 17 Florida St 10

Top 25 Media after week 15 regular season and before conference championship games.

1. Oregon 11-0 1599 Pac-12 vs #14 USC

2. South Carolina 12-0 1531 SEC vs #3 LSU

3. LSU 10-1 1458 SEC vs #2 South Carolina

4. Virginia Tech 10-1 1409 ACC vs #11 Florida State

5. Michigan 10-1 1346 Big 10 vs #6 Ohio State

6. Ohio State 11-0 1266 Big 10 vs #5 Michigan

7. Texas 10-1 1204

8. Maryland 10-1 1129

9. Alabama 9-2 1066

10. Oklahoma 9-2 1004

11. Florida State 10-2 926 ACC vs #4 Virginia Tech

12. Florida 8-3 878

13. Purdue 9-2 821

14. USC 9-2 775 Pac 12 vs #1 Oregon

15. Rutgers 9-2 725

16. TCU 8-3 666

17. Tennessee 8-3 621

18. Oklahoma State8-3 551

19. Boise State 9-2 474 MWC vs San Diego State

20. Notre Dame 10-3 431

21. Arkansas 7-4 356

22. South Florida 8-3 284

23. UCLA 9-3 226

24. Louisville 8-3 176

25. Clemson 7-4 106

Others - Stanford 78, Nebraska 49, Georgia 49, Washington 47, Arizona 46, Arizona State 44, Kent State 44, Texas Tech 42, Oregon State 37, Cal 36, Kentucky 31, Kansas 28, Miss St 23, Texas A&M 23, North Carolina 18, Vanderbilt 18, West Virginia 15, East Carolina 15, Western Kentucky 15, Iowa 13, Boston College 8 Louisianna Tech 8, Wake Forest 3

Drop out of Top 25

Auburn (25)

BCS Standings

1. Oregon .989

2. South Carolina .948

3. LSU .901

4. Virginia Tech .834

5. Ohio State .810

6. Michigan .808

7. Texas .758

8. Maryland .708

9. Oklahoma .653

10. Alabama .651

11. Florida State .570

12. Florida .535

13. USC .508

14. Purdue .433

15. Rutgers .429

Conference Championship Games

Pac 12 Conference Championship Game

#1 Oregon 12-0 vs #14 USC 9-2

ACC Conference Championship Game

#4 Virginia Tech 10-1 vs #11 Florida State 10-2

Big 10 Championship Game

#5 Michigan 10-1 vs #6 Ohio State 11-0

SEC Championship Game

#2 South Carolina 12-0 vs #3 LSU 10-1

MAC Conference Championship Game

Northern Illinois 8-3 vs Kent State 10-1

Mountain West Conference Championship Game

#19 Boise State 9-2 vs San Diego State 7-4

Conference USA Conference Championship Game

UTEP 9-2 vs East Carolina 8-3

Conference USA Championship Game

UTEP Miners vs East Carolina Pirates

A berth in the National Playoff is at stake for the winner of the Conference USA Championship game played before a crowd of 33,130. Texas El Paso came back from a 10-3 halftime deficit to defeat ECU on the 3 strength of 3 TD's in the 2nd half and win 24-13

UTEP (10-2) 3 0 14 7 0 24

East Carolina (8-4) 7 3 3 0 0 13

First Quarter

ECU TD 09:06 7-0 Bob Huber 58 YD Pass from Charles Vinson (Walter Jones Kick).

UTEP FG 06:34 7-3 Albert Hernandez 26 YD

Second Quarter

ECU FG 07:59 10-3 Walter Jones 30 YD

Third Quarter

ECU FG 11:01 13-3 Walter Jones 35 YD

UTEP TD 08:06 13-10 Franklin Richardson 36 YD Pass from James Farmer (Albert Hernandez Kick).

UTEP TD 02:02 17-13 Jacob Padilla 3 YD Pass from James Farmer (Albert Hernandez Kick).

Fourth Quarter

UTEP TD 12:56 24-13 Ricky Heller 59 YD Pass from James Farmer (Albert Hernandez Kick).

Mid American Conference Championship Game

Northern Illinois Huskies vs Kent State Golden Flashes

Kent State's defense gave up a couple of big plays but were able to not allow and red zone scoring opportunities for Northern Illinois and held on to win 24-14 in front of 22,246 fans.

Northern Illinois (8-4) 0 0 7 7 0 14

Kent State (11-1) 0 7 14 3 0 24

First Quarter

Second Quarter

KENT TD 02:00 7-0 Bradley Humphrey 11 YD Pass from Roger Stephenson (Donald Martin Kick).

Third Quarter

KENT TD 11:16 14-0 Johnny Hobbs 8 YD Run (Donald Martin Kick).

NIU TD 05:49 14-7 Matthew Ramirez 34 YD Pass from Horace Runyon (John Loomis Kick).

KENT TD 01:53 21-7 James Bradford 15 YD Pass from Roger Stephenson (Donald Martin Kick).

Fourth Quarter

NIU TD 10:48 21-14 Ronald Sewell 81 YD Pass from Horace Runyon (John Loomis Kick).

KENT FG 05:37 24-14 Donald Martin 41 YD

Mountain West Conference Championship Game

Boise State Broncos #19 vs San Diego State

The heavily favored Broncos have been looking forward to getting to the National Title Playoffs all season, but a tough Aztec team is standing in their way looking to make their season even more special. Both teams traded 1st quarter FG's and then Boise went into the locker room up 6-3 after a sluggish 1st half. San Diego State's main problem was they couldn't seem the to find the end zone as they had 6 red zone opportunities but only managed 1 TD and 4 FG's in those trips. They made the game close on a late 78 yard TD pass as Boise State locked up the conference's spot in the National Title Playoffs with a 30-21 victory before 47,068 fans in San Diego.

Boise State (10-2) 3 3 10 14 0 30

San Diego State (7-5) 3 0 9 9 0 21

First Quarter

BOIS FG 04:01 3-0 Frank Lopez 29 YD

SDSU FG 00:00 3-3 Joseph Bailey 35 YD

Second Quarter

BOIS FG 09:11 6-3 Frank Lopez 30 YD

Third Quarter

SDSU TD 11:25 9-6 Ivan London 14 YD Pass from Craig Carr (Joseph Bailey Kick Failed).

BOIS FG 08:33 9-9 Frank Lopez 45 YD

SDSU FG 06:22 12-9 Joseph Bailey 24 YD

BOIS TD 03:38 16-12 Gary Nash 1 YD Run (Frank Lopez Kick).

Fourth Quarter

SDSU FG 13:37 16-15 Joseph Bailey 42 YD

BOIS TD 09:34 23-15 Gary Nash 3 YD Run (Frank Lopez Kick).

ACC Conference Championship Game

#4 Virigina Tech vs #11 Florida State

Florida State came out blazing ripping off 17 1st quarter points and was never challenged as they win the ACC title and the automatic bid into the National Playoff by the final score of 37-19. Virginia Tech will now have to await the final BCS standings to determine their fate. 80,000 fans watched in Tallahassee.

Virginia Tech (10-2) 0 7 6 6 0 19

Florida State (11-2) 17 3 10 7 0 37

First Quarter

FSU FG 13:13 3-0 Henry Burgess 26 YD

FSU TD 07:17 10-0 John Moss 4 YD Pass from Luis Griffin (Henry Burgess Kick).

FSU TD 02:53 17-0 Lawrence Cabrera 8 YD Pass from Luis Griffin (Henry Burgess Kick).

Second Quarter

FSU FG 06:31 20-0 Henry Burgess 33 YD

VT TD 01:20 20-7 James Payne 2 YD Pass from Kenneth Adams (Logan Wilson Kick).

Third Quarter

FSU FG 09:26 23-7 Henry Burgess 40 YD

VT FG 07:15 23-10 Logan Wilson 48 YD

VT FG 01:45 23-13 Logan Wilson 25 YD

FSU TD 01:01 30-13 Abraham Kaufman 51 YD Run (Henry Burgess Kick).

Fourth Quarter

FSU TD 11:54 37-13 Abraham Kaufman 91 YD Run (Henry Burgess Kick).

VT TD 00:15 37-19 Roosevelt Thomas 5 YD Pass from Kenneth Adams (2 Pts Failed)

Big 10 Championship Game

#5 Michigan vs #6 Ohio State

104,400 crammed into the Ohio Stadium Horseshoe to watch the traditional Big 10 rivals meet for the conference championship once again. Ohio State looked well on their way to victory with a dominant 2nd quarter which saw them score 17 straight points and take a 20-10 lead at the half, but Michigan shut down the Buckeye's in the 2nd half and then scored just enough with the game winning TD scored at 3:40 remaining in the game as Michigan rallied to win 25-20 and secure the Big 10's automatic bid for the national playoff. Ohio State suffered its 1st loss this season but have been ranked low in the BCS all year. We will have to see how that effects them and if they get an at-large bid.

Michigan (11-1) 10 0 3 12 0 25

Ohio State(11-1) 3 17 0 0 0 20

First Quarter

MICH TD 12:03 7-0 Gary Black 3 YD Run (David Quinn Kick).

OHST FG 06:22 7-3 Brian Drew 31 YD

MICH FG 03:07 10-3 David Quinn 32 YD

Second Quarter

OHST TD 07:51 10-10 Emmett Mendoza 6 YD Pass from Thomas Lynch (Brian Drew Kick).

OHST TD 03:17 17-10 Bernard Lyons 2 YD Run (Brian Drew Kick).

OHST FG 00:39 20-10 Brian Drew 30 YD

Third Quarter

MICH FG 06:39 20-13 David Quinn 31 YD

Fourth Quarter

MICH FG 12:42 20-16 David Quinn 47 YD

MICH FG 08:28 20-19 David Quinn 26 YD

MICH TD 03:40 25-20 David Ortiz 42 YD Pass from William Morgan (2 Pts Failed)

Pac-12 Championship Game

#1 Oregon vs #14 USC

USC used 3 Oregon turnovers that converted to 17 USC points and came into Eugene and pulled off the shocker of the day in upsetting #1 Oregon 34-24 and claiming the Pac-12 title in front of 54,000 fans at Autzen Stadium. With victory USC moves into the national playoff as with a loss they would have been eliminated. Oregon 11-1 on the season will likely get an at large bid into the playoffs based on its great season.

USC (10-2) 14 3 7 10 0 34

Oregon (11-1) 7 7 0 10 0 24

First Quarter

USC TD 10:17 7-0 Robert Morrison 30 YD Pass from Craig Brown (David Holm Kick).

ORE TD 08:25 7-7 Manuel Byrne 47 YD Pass from James Perez (Stanley Littleton Kick).

USC TD 02:32 14-7 William Hollingsworth 4 YD Pass from Craig Brown (David Holm Kick).

Second Quarter

USC FG 06:09 17-7 David Holm 33 YD

ORE TD 00:07 17-14 Ronald Collins 5 YD Pass from James Perez (Stanley Littleton Kick).

Third Quarter

USC TD 00:29 24-14 Robert Morrison 2 YD Run (David Holm Kick).

Fourth Quarter

USC TD 14:28 31-14 62 YD Int Return by Wayne Zepeda (David Holm Kick).

ORE TD 07:19 31-21 Robert Thompson 80 YD Run (Stanley Littleton Kick).

SEC Championship Game

#2 South Carolina vs #3 LSU

In the day's most anticipated match up in Atlanta, 80,250 fans saw a wild finish as LSU knocked off previously unbeaten South Carolina 44-41 in OT. The 4th quarter saw LSU outscore South Carolina 24-14 to force the extra time.

LSU (11-1) 10 0 7 24 3 44

South Carolina (12-1) 0 21 6 14 0 41

First Quarter

LSU FG 11:48 3-0 Samuel Reed 40 YD

LSU TD 05:58 10-0 Michael Davies 4 YD Run (Samuel Reed Kick).

Second Quarter

SCAR TD 14:05 10-7 Wayne Grant 5 YD Run (Earl Ontiveros Kick).

SCAR TD 08:58 14-10 Bruce Guzman 5 YD Pass from Albert Kelly (Earl Ontiveros Kick).

SCAR TD 05:58 21-10 Wayne Grant 5 YD Run (Earl Ontiveros Kick).

Third Quarter

SCAR FG 09:28 24-10 Earl Ontiveros 30 YD

SCAR FG 03:31 27-10 Earl Ontiveros 33 YD

LSU TD 02:30 27-17 Neil Mcmahon 20 YD Pass from George Miller (Samuel Reed Kick).

Fourth Quarter

LSU TD 14:04 27-24 Neil Mcmahon 19 YD Pass from George Miller (Samuel Reed Kick).

LSU TD 10:03 31-27 John Bradley 24 YD Pass from George Miller (Samuel Reed Kick).

SCAR TD 08:38 34-31 Clyde Reynolds 30 YD Pass from Albert Kelly (Earl Ontiveros Kick).

LSU TD 03:58 38-34 Michael Roth 23 YD Pass from George Miller (Samuel Reed Kick).

SCAR TD 01:24 41-38 Jeffrey Wallace 13 YD Pass from Albert Kelly (Earl Ontiveros Kick).

LSU FG 00:29 41-41 Samuel Reed 42 YD

Overtime

LSU FG - 44-41 Samuel Reed 39 YD

way to go ECU!!

hated to see USC get the win. Loved hearing the fans chanting to fire their coach in real life after their lose to WASU Saturday.

in fact, they are SO upset they have written their demands in parking lots all across the country. Look the next time you are out to see how many FIRE LANE signs you see. :D

As a guy who has had a lot of family go to WSU, while that was sure an ugly football game, it was a big win for the Cougs. USC fans should be calling for Lame's head, he is a lousy coach and even with scholarship limits, it is USC and they have TALENT! No excuse for the horrible offense that was on display this year and he lost the team last year. I agree with the fire Kiffin comments totally!

But as a semi-Coug fan it was good to see WSU not "Coug it" at the end.

After the completion of the conference Championship games it is a big week on Mountlake as the Huskies await to see if they are bowl bound or not. At 8-4 I think they should be but we will have to see what the powers that be say.

Now onto some exciting news -

Subject: Lang wins Jim Thorpe!

We are pleased to announce that the recipient of the 2013 Jim Thorpe Award is our own Thomas Lang.

He finished the year with 110 total tackles (91 solo), 0 sacks and 13 passes defensed. He managed 6 interceptions for 86 yards and finished with one defensive touchdown as well.

Coach Martin - What a great honor for this outstanding young man. He kind of came out of nowhere as far as this recognition (OOC -I don't recall seeing him on the finalists list), but it is definitely deserved. He played tremendous for us and is the leader of our secondary that helped create 31 turnovers this year (#13th nationally and tops in the conference also top takeaway/giveaway ratio in the conference). We are pleased that Thomas has been awarded this honor and we hope to have a bowl game later this week announced so that he has 1 more game in his Washington career before he goes to the NFL.

The National Playoffs have been announced -

Subject: Playoff seeding released

Below are the seeds and matchups for the first round of the playoffs.

LSU (1) vs. Arkansas State (16)

South Carolina (2) vs. UTEP (15)

Oregon (3) vs. Kent State (14)

Michigan (4) vs. Boise State (13)

Texas (5) vs. Rutgers (12)

Florida State (6) vs. Alabama (11)

Maryland (7) vs. USC (10)

Ohio State (8) vs. Virginia Tech (9)

(OOC - Finally the news we have been waiting for)

Subject: Congrats, you're bowl bound!

We just found out we will be heading to a postseason bowl this year!

The Music City Bowl has extended us an invitation to take on Texas Tech during week 19.

Coach Martin - What a great opportunity for these kids. To go to Nashville and play a quality team from the Big 12 like Texas Tech. We are honored for this opportunity to continue on with our season. Go DAWGS!

(Husky fans are rejoicing the fact that their team is headed to a bowl game and hope for more in future seasons).

FINAL BCS CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES RANKINGS

Rank Team Conf Record Rank Votes % Rank Votes % Rank Rating % GDCS Prev

1. LSU SEC 11-1 (8-0) 1 1594 .981 1 1507 .988 1 83.93 .962 .988 3

2. South Carolina SEC 12-1 (8-0) 2 1532 .943 2 1453 .953 3 81.26 .885 .942 2

3. Oregon Pac-12 11-1 (8-0) 4 1415 .871 4 1353 .887 2 82.16 .923 .895 1

4. Michigan B10 11-1 (7-1) 3 1471 .905 3 1398 .917 6 80.34 .769 .889 6

5. Texas B12 10-1 (7-1) 6 1271 .782 6 1235 .810 4 80.66 .846 .813 7

6. Florida State ACC 11-2 (7-1) 5 1347 .829 5 1302 .854 10 75.76 .615 .801 11

7. Maryland ACC 10-1 (7-1) 7 1183 .728 7 1164 .763 7 79.88 .731 .748 8

8. Ohio State B10 11-1 (8-0) 9 1032 .635 9 1029 .675 5 80.57 .808 .692 5

9. Virginia Tech ACC 10-2 (8-0) 8 1120 .689 8 1098 .720 12 73.28 .538 .676 4

10. USC Pac-12 10-2 (7-1) 11 864 .532 10 950 .623 9 76.03 .654 .598 13

11. Alabama SEC 9-2 (6-2) 10 944 .581 11 897 .588 11 75.47 .577 .588 10

12. Oklahoma B12 9-2 (7-1) 12 819 .504 12 856 .561 8 79.58 .692 .570 9

13. Florida SEC 8-3 (5-3) 13 765 .471 13 805 .528 14 72.56 .462 .496 12

14. Rutgers AMER 9-2 (8-0) 15 656 .404 15 694 .455 16 67.42 .385 .424 15

15. Purdue B10 9-2 (6-2) 14 702 .432 16 637 .418 18 66.32 .308 .404 14

Anyone want to make a prediction on the National Playoff Championship game? Who do you think will win the 1st ever National Playoff

Here is the bowl lineup (first week games have pt spreads and I will update this post as we go.

Bowl Games – week 18 (plus National Playoffs start round 1)

National Playoffs

LSU (1) vs. Arkansas State (16) LSU favored by 22

South Carolina (2) vs. UTEP (15) South Carolina favored by 24

Oregon (3) vs. Kent State (14) Oregon favored by 21

Michigan (4) vs. Boise State (13) Michigan favored by 7

Texas (5) vs. Rutgers (12) Texas favored by 11

Florida State (6) vs. Alabama (11) Alabama favored by 4

Maryland (7) vs. USC (10) USC favored by 10

Ohio State (8) vs. Virginia Tech (9) Ohio State favored by 7

Texas Bowl West Virginia 8-4 vs Iowa 6-5 West Virginia by 10

Las Vegas Bowl Miami 5-6 vs San Diego State 7-5 Miami by5

Military Bowl Middle Tenn St 7-4 vs Boston College 5-7 BC by20

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl BYU 8-3 vs Arizona State 7-4 ASU by 12

Hawaii Bowl Marshall 7-4 vs Colorado State 5-6 Marshall by 10

Beef O Brady Bowl ECU 8-4 vs Pitt 5-6 ECU by 5

Poinsettia Bowl Army 7-5 vs Air Force 8-3 Air Force by 3

New Orleans Bowl Tulane 6-5 vs Western Kentucky 8-3 Western Kentucky by6

Bowl Games week 19 (Quarter finals of the National Playoffs)

Capital One Bowl Tennessee 8-3 vs Purdue 9-2

Outback Bowl Wisconsin 6-5 vs Auburn 7-4

Chick Fil A Bowl North Carolina 6-5 vs Georgia 7-4

Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl Northwestern 7-4 vs Oregon State 6-5

Alamo Bowl Stanford 8-3 vs Oklahoma State 8-3

Gator Bowl Arkansas 7-4 vs Nebraska 7-4

Russell Athletic Bowl Clemson 7-4 vs Louisville 8-3

Holiday Bowl UCLA 9-3 vs TCU 8-3

Sun Bowl Notre Dame 10-3 vs NC State 6-5

Music City Texas Tech 5-6 vs Washington 8-4

Pinstripe Bowl Arizona 5-6 vs Cincinnati 6-5

Belk Bowl Kansas 5-6 vs South Florida 8-3

Independence Bowl Wake Forest 5-6 vs Penn State 5-6

Heart of Dallas Bowl Cal 5-6 vs Missiouri 5-7

Armed Forces Bowl UMass 5-6 vs Fresno State 6-5

Week 20 Bowl Games (National Playoff Semi-finals)

Cotton Bowl Oklahoma 9-2 vs Florida 8-3

BBVA Compass Bowl Rice 5-6 vs Temple 7-8

Go-Daddy.com Bowl Northern Illinois 8-4 vs Troy 6-5

Week 21 (National Championship game)

??? vs ???

(I will start the playoff round over the weekend with week 18 Friday night, Week 19 Saturday night, Week 20 (national semi's) Sunday and then the National title game on Tuesday.

National Playoffs

#1 LSU 51 Arkansas State 14

#2 South Carolina 37 UTEP 7

#19 Boise State 18 #3 Michigan 7

#4 Oregon 41 Kent State 20

#5 Florida State 36 #10 Alabama 24

#6 Texas 17 #15 Rutgers 10

#7 Maryland 17 #11 USC 6

#9 Ohio State 41 #8 Virginia Tech 23

Bowl Games

Hawaii Bowl Colorado State (6-6) 34 Marshall (7-5) 17

Beef O Brady Bowl Pitt (6-6) 41 East Carolina (8-5) 7

Poinsettia Bowl Air Force (9-3) 13 Army (7-6) 10

New Orleans Bowl Tulane (7-5) Western Kentucky (9-3) 13

Husky Honks Roundtable
with Dave "Softy" Mahler, Hugh Millen, Coach Dick Baird on site in Nashville with the Huskies football team.

Softy - Guys we are just a few days away from the bowl game with Texas Tech. It has been quite a season so far for this team.

Coach Baird - This team has achieved far more than probably any of us had hoped. Coach Martin and his staff have provided some very memorable moments this year and it has really recharged the fan base.

Millen - The team has come a long ways and made a lot of improvements, but the true test will be with recruiting. While this has been a surprise season to be able to sustain and build on it, they need to recruit and hope some of the lower class men can build on what they have started.

Softy - That's true but to take this group who didn't know how to win a big game, this team and staff have come a long way. Have they raised expectations too much?

Coach Baird - Well the bar has definitely been raised, but I think fans will remember where we were and give them some time to build it up.

Millen - The excitement in the fan base for this game is huge. Do you guys think the season is lost and all the excitement is lost if we lose this game against Texas Tech?

Softy - Well winning is a huge momentum swing for this program to get to 9 wins, but no I don't think the season is lost if they do not prevail in the bowl game.

Coach Baird - Well as a former recruiting coordinator, I can tell you that winning makes it just that much more of an impact in rebuilding this team, but no the season is not lost. Do any of you believe that we would be looking at the possibility of a bowl game and 9 wins...hell i thought 6 wins would be a stretch this season.

Softy - Let's get down to what they need to do to win this game. Coach give us a key.

Coach Baird - This team has been very good at creating turnovers and winning the turnover battle. Washington is plus 11 in turnovers this season and that has kept them in some games and helped them win others that otherwise they wouldn't have been in. Texas Tech has been very opportunistic this season creating more turnover by a couple than Washington, but not taking very good care of it. They are only on a plus 2 in turnover margin.

Millen - My key is the defense as well, but getting off the field on 3rd down. At times this year Washington has struggled in this area. They are 11th in the Pac-12 112th nationally in getting off the field on 3rd down (39.9%). Washington has to do a better job than that limiting 3rd downs.

Softy - Both are good points but I think the key is getting a stable game out of your QB's and feed the rock to Carlos Kelly. The guy has been steady for this offense all season and Texas Tech is 28th nationally at only giving up 3.1 yards per carry. Having a better game on the ground keeping the defense off the field will go a long ways to giving the Huskies the victory.

Well we just under 48 hours until game time and it is prediction time.

Coach Baird - Washington 31-21.

Millen - I just don't like the matchup that Softy just called out. I think that is a big thing to be able to run the ball this game and I am not sure our line is up to the challenge of beating their D-line. I just having a feeling the magic is going to run out and therefore Texas Tech 24, Washington 22

Softy - Well I just can't pick against the Dawgs baby. I think we will get the turnovers and that Kelly will have a good day. Washington 27, Texas Tech 20.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="olympia" data-cite="olympia" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36560" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'll venture LSU over Oregon in the finals<p> the game seems to like USC, but I think they get bumped</p><p> </p><p> oh and the Mighty Huskies should roll in Nashville -- I may have to drive over to watch the Music City Bowl</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Good pick on the title game, as you will over the next day or two, that is the National Championship Game. And you will be happy USC gets bounced in the 1st round!</p>

Music City Bowl - Nashville, Tennessee

Washington 8-4 vs Texas Tech 5-6

Washington leads the all-time series 2-0 winning the last game played in 1982

Texas Tech is a 5 pt favorite today.

Washington has all players available today both injury wise and academically.

Washington 24 Texas Tech 6

Using a big play offense led by Carl Kelly and Carlos Samuels, the Washington Huskies defeat Texas Tech today in Nashville. Carlos Samuels came in and hit a big 1st quarter TD pass to James Roberts of 56 yards, followed by Kelly ripping off a 63 yard TD run in the 2nd quarter lead Washington to a 14-3 halftime lead.

In the 4 quarter Washington added an exclamation point with a Samuels to Albright 47 yard TD to seal the 24-6 victory.

Kelly had 23 carries for 153 and added 53 yards receiving on 5 catches. Both Johnson and Albright had 100 yard + receiving days for the Huskies. Carlos Samuels got the better of the QB play for Washington as the junior was 8-10 for 193 yards and 2 TD's while starter Ryan York struggled mightily 9-27 for only 109 yards. Both players are juniors and it will be interesting to see who finally emerges as the leader of the offense for the 2014 season. Samuels took a big step forward though in that race today.

On the defensive side of the ball, Thomas Lang won game MVP honors leading the opportunistic Husky defense with 2 INT's and 8 tackles. Washington got a total of 3 turnovers and continued the trend of winning the turnover battle this season. The turnover battle has been a huge one for Washington this year.

Washington improves to 9-4 on the season and hopes to have a spot in the final top 25 poll, while Texas Tech dropped to 5-7 on the year.

Coach Martin comments after the game
- I never have enjoyed a Gatorade shower after a game like I did today. What a great group of young men, who worked hard all year, competed and improved so much this year. A real pleasure to coach this group.

Today's game was the formula that has been successful for us most of the year. While we bent on defense, we managed the 3rd downs well today as they were only 5-18 on 3rd down and then the 3 turnovers. what can I say about Thomas Lang, he was the defensive player of the game and has been our general on the field defensively all season. Then on the offensive side of the ball, Carl Kelly. He fought through an early season injury and boy he has been a key for us all year. 153 yards today and over 1200 on the season plus another 600 plus receiving. He is going to be a tough guy to replace next season, but we are going to enjoy this victory and this season. A great season of Husky football.

Other bowls games this week

Capital One Bowl Purdue 23 Tennessee 7

Outback Bowl Auburn 31 Wisconsin 21

Chick Fil A Bowl Georgia 37 North Carolina 0

Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl Northwestern 54 Oregon State 7

Sun Bowl NC State 20 Notre Dame 10

Pinstripe Bowl Arizona 20 Cincinnati 13

Belk Bowl South Florida 31 Kansas 17

Independence Bowl Penn State 59 Wake Forest 17

Heart of Dallas Bowl Missiouri 30 Cal 25

Armed Forces Bowl Fresno State 23 UMass 10

National Playoff Quarter-finals

Orange Bowl #1 LSU 30 #9 Ohio State 29

Sugar Bowl #2 South Carolina 33 #7 Maryland 21

Fiesta Bowl #4 Oregon 23 #5 Florida St 10

Rose Bowl #6 Texas 34 #19 Boise State 13

National Semi-finals next week

#1 LSU 37 vs #5 Texas 27

#4 Oregon 22 vs #2 South Carolina 19

Last week Bowl Games

Cotton Bowl Oklahoma 31 Florida 28

BBVA Compass Bowl Rice 38 Temple 35

Go Daddy.com Bowl Northern Illinois 37 Troy 10

National Championship Game

#1 LSU 22 #4 Oregon 19

LSU scores the winning touchdown with 4:33 seconds left in the 4th quarter and adds to 2 pt conversion for the final margin to win the 1st National Playoff before 74,470 at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Conference awards and Pac-12 2013 Standings

Conference Awards:

1st Team All Pac-12 Defense Thomas Lang FS (Sr)

1st Team All American Defense Thomas Lang FS (Sr)

3rd Team All Pac-12 Offense Carl Kelly RB (Sr)

3rd Team All Pac-12 Offense Hunter Carter OT (Jr)

3rd Team All Pac-12 Defense William Chase (Jr)

3rd Team All Pac-12 Defense Robert Langford (Jr)

Pacific-12 Standings

North Overall

Rank Team W-L PF PA W-L PF PA Srk Home Road

1 Oregon 8-0 265 137 14-1 491 276 W3 9-1 5-0

2 Stanford 6-2 239 157 9-3 345 239 W2 3-2 6-1

3 Oregon St 4-4 149 199 6-6 224 329 L-3 5-1 1-5

4 Washington4-4 172 174 9-4 332 227 W4 6-2 3-2

5 California 2-6 157 225 5-7 275 309 L-2 4-2 1-5

6 Wash St 2-6 129 227 3-8 173 330 L-1 3-2 0-6

South Overall

Rank Team W-L PF PA W-L PF PA Srk Home Road

1 USC 7-1 247 90 10-3 384 179 L-1 6-0 4-3

2 UCLA 5-3 171 194 10-3 343 253 W1 6-2 4-1

3 Arizona St 4-4 196 168 8-4 325 217 W2 6-2 2-2

4 Arizona 3-5 177 196 6-6 280 266 W1 3-3 3-3

5 Colorado 2-6 138 219 3-9 174 287 L-3 3-3 0-6

6 Utah 1-7 109 163 2-9 170 223 L-8 2-4 0-5

Well that's the end of the 2013 season. Washington managed to win its bowl game and finish the year 9-4 overall and climbed into the last coaches poll at #25 but didn't crack the media poll (28th in points).

Overall a successful season and we have 9 graduating seniors (8 scholarship and 1 walk on) to say goodbye too. We may have a few more openings as I would like to try and balance the roster a bit more so there are 4-6 student athletes that might leave the school due to lack of playing time (although it appears all players are happy). I am sure they will leave because they are home sick, want to play more and will go to a lower level of competition or something along those lines but I would like 12-15 recruits for the 2014 season.

I have never really had great success when I played BBCF back in the day when I recruited but am going to try and few things to see if they might work.

The major question mark for Washington will be replacing RB Carl Kelly who was really the team offensive MVP and Thomas Lang the All American Thorpe winning safety that wasn't even a finalist for that award (or at least wasn't listed in the email).

I am going to roll the season forward and begin the recruiting process and off season activities.

Well the off-season has begun for the University of Washington. The Huskies lost 9 graduating seniors from the team so they have around 8-9 scholarships to offer (wish it was more and I wish that I knew I couldn't cut players prior to recruiting. I have a b/u kicker and punter who are wasting space as 1.0/1.0's scholarship athletes).

Coach Martin had his off-season meeting with the AD and basically it was pretty much smiles from the AD. Washington's prestige has risen from a dreadful 45 to a little better 49. The AD informed coach Martin that the program will have an additional $90,000 in funds for the upcoming season. The board of regents and main alumni boosters still recognize the lack of overall talent on the team and told Coach that if we can stay out of last place and beat Wazzu, I shouldn't have any worries (wow expectations are really low here, we must change that). Coach let the AD know that while he appreciates the everything the regents, boosters, fans and he have done, that those standards are not what he expects for his team next year.

To that end, Coach Martin brought up a subject that he felt very strong about and that was his coaching staff. Because of his late hiring last season he inherited much of the coaching staff and specifically the coordinators he had. While Coach Martin appreciated their efforts, the coach felt that because of philosophy differences and general development abilities that he needed to make a change in his coordinators. The Coach felt that he needed to take the $90,000 and maybe some from some other areas in the program and up the Coordinator pay to bring in truly a higher ability wise Coordinators that shared coaching philosophies and also the current talent to his utmost potential. It was agreed that they would somehow make it work and that Coach Martin had $1,200,000 to spend on his top Coordinators (OC, DC and ST coaches) which was up from the $850,000 they spent last season. He agreed with Coach Martin that he would look for other revenue sources and make some recommendations in cuts that he could support in the program for this year to make up the $260,000 shortfall. He did mention to the Coach that they might have to look at the recruiting service for a year or two to maybe bridge the gap some and college advance scouting might have to take a hit as well. Coach Martin seemed to be ok with those alternatives and they agreed to get together after recruiting and finalize the budget for the upcoming season.

Finally Coach Martin discussed some transfer candidates that he liked and that he would like to take a run at.

(OOC - so I have run the transfer period and will update on that process later on, but we did get 2 kids that we will be pleased with. I am looking at what I can do about the kicking issue, I don't see a way to cut anyone before the recruiting period ends but maybe I will try and take them off scholarship if I can through the editor as I have one walk on spot left and maybe that will give me 1 more scholarship to offer. I am going to really try and figure out recruiting once and for all in this game as I will be out of town several nights this week and will try and perfect a plan in another game I have run to get the details worked out of it so that I can move forward with this over the course of the next week. I actually am going to study the recruits pretty hard as with only 7-8 scholarships I need to hit on the players I go after. We are not in position to hit any 5 star guys so we are simply not going to waste time on them, but there are a lot of 3-4 star players interested and in the state of Washington that I will probably target. I will introduce my coaches to everyone tonight and also the 2 transfers that we were able to land out of the 4 we went after.)

Here are the evaluations as completed by Athletic Director Derrick Doyle.

Team Performance B

Talent C

Recruiting C

Board Expectations B

Prestige A

Overall B-

As mentioned we have hired new Coordinators on Offense and Defense

Here are the coaches we hired

Offensive Coordinator - Kim Keating age 51 ULL is Alma Mater

Prefers a Balance Offense (Offense ran last year at Washington Balanced)

Motivation Green

Game Plan Green

Scout QB Orange

Scout RB Yellow

Scout WR/TE Yellow

Scout OL Yellow

Dev QB Orange

Dev RB Green

Dev WR/TE Green

Dev OL Yellow

Defensive Coordinator - Chris Johnson age 46 ULL is Western Kentucky

Prefers a 4-3 Defense (Defense ran last year at Washington 4-3)

Motivation Green

Game Plan Green

Scout DL Yellow

Scout LB Orange

Scout DB Yellow

Dev DL Yellow

Dev LB Orange

Dev DB Green

We targeted 4 transfer players and were able to land 2 who we are really happy to have. The players will redshirt the upcoming season.

Clarence Thomas - RB transferred from Florida

Overall 3.5/5.0

Running 82

Hands 73

Speed 81

Strength 21

Instinct 42

Discipline 99

Intelligence 64

Work Ethic 88

Clarence played in 7 games for Florida as a freshman

David Adkins - OT transferred from Fresno State

Overall 1.5/4.5

Pass Block 62

Run Block 71

Durability 79

Speed 40

Strength 63

Instincts 74

Aggressiveness 70

Discipline 95

Intelligence 64

Work Ethic 68

David didn't get into any games at Fresno as a Freshman but we think he has a very positive upside.

We only had 9 scholarships available so now we are down to 7. We will have to make our picks count and get as much value as we can with those picks.

Subject: Week 12 Recruit Summary

Players committing to Washington

DE Kurtis Robinson

ILB David Howard

Subject: Week 14 Recruit Summary

DT Keith Davis

RB George Thompson

Subject: Week 15 Recruit Summary

DT Jeffrey Bryan

Subject: Week 16 Recruit Summary

CB Joseph Sanchez

Subject: Week 17 Recruit Summary

OG Derrick Cooney

Subject: Final recruit signings

The following recruits ended up coming to Washington:

DT Keith Davis, 4-stars

Rim of the World (Lake Arrowhead, CA)

National Rank: 369, Regional: 73, Position: 25

DE Kurtis Robinson, 3-stars

Life Christian (Tacoma, WA)

National Rank: 654, Regional: 121, Position: 56

DT Jeffrey Bryan, 3-stars

Highland (Cowiche, WA)

National Rank: 677, Regional: 128, Position: 41

RB George Thompson, 3-stars

Sedro-Woolley (Sedro-Woolley, WA)

National Rank: 829, Regional: 168, Position: 74

ILB David Howard, 3-stars

Central Lakes (MN), Wellston, OH, HS - OH

National Rank: 589, Regional: 96, Position: 29

CB Joseph Sanchez, 2-stars

Roundup (Roundup, MT)

National Rank: 1168, Regional: 231, Position: 131

OG Derrick Cooney, 2-stars

O'Dea (Seattle, WA)

National Rank: 1700, Regional: 332, Position: 111

The recruiting class was disappointing in the sense we only had 7 scholarships to award. I thought that the quality of the class as Howard was a 4 star as we recruited him and was our "email" candidate that was friends with transfer RB Clarence Thomas. Including both Thomas and Adkins who are both 4 star players, the final numbers are 4 4-star recruits, 4 3-star recruits and 1 2-star recruit. The recruiting ranking was #92 and last in the Pac-12. We will have to do much better when we have at least 19 scholarships next off-season.

Spring Practice

Purple vs Gold Game

Washington Huskies head coach DD Martin brought 80 players to spring practice after completing a successful 2013 season at 9-4. While only 9 players graduated, they were team leaders on a team that surprised. With spring ball coming up and then culminates in the annual spring game, Washington has some big questions to answer.

Who will be the starting QB - Ryan York and Charles Samuel's are both seniors and basically split time last season. Samuel's appeared to be the man that won the job at the very end with the bowl game but Coach Martin has suggested that he will pick a permanent starter for 2014 and if it is Ryan York doesn't win he might get redshirted which will be interesting to see how that works out. Watching youngsters OBrien (JR) and A. Smith (walkon So).

Who will replace graduating RB Carl Kelly. Everyone is waiting for transfer Clarence Thomas but he will be sitting out the year. That leaves freshman George Thompson as the leading candidate to start (1.5/3.0). The position is fairly thin in talent behind Thompson.

WR is one of the strengths of the team with returning starters Johnson Albright (Sr) and James Roberts (So) return. They are backed up by Stephan Montoya (Jr) and Charles Oliver (So). The returning starters combined for 83 catches last season, but a real trick will be keeping both healthy and eligible.

William Warren is a huge physical specimen at 6-8 and 238 pounds but spent most of last season injured. The sophomore is the clear starter and will be backed up by Jose Stephenson.

The offensive line is lead by Tackles Jensen and Carter who are both seniors. Washington has a very good tackle that is redshirting after transferring in David Adkins but he will be one replacement next year. The guards are lead by Richardson (jr) and Steen (Sr) and the line is anchored by sophomore C J. Cano. Cano, Richardson and Adkins will be keys in 2015 and who will complete that line will be interesting to determine. 2014 this is a very capable starting unit but thin behind the starters. In future years this will be an area where Washington really needs to shore up.

On the defensive side of the ball, Washington plays a 4-3 defense. An interesting camp battle will be at RDE with (Fr) Robinson (Sr). Not a bad group with a lot of height with 2 players at 6-8 and the 6-4 (jr) starter G. Westmoreland. While the ends are a strength, the DT are not as strong. There is hope for the future though as 2 young freshman K. Davis and J. Bryan will likely emerge as starters.

David Howard was a transfer from a JC school and is claiming the starting job at inside LB. On the outside will be a couple of senior returning starters in William Chase and Robert Langford. Redshirt Freshman Danny Richardson should be the first off the bench.

Washington has a couple of solid CB's in Sr Jamie Lee and Jr. Ray Thompson. Freshman Joseph Sanchez should provide solid depth in the nickel coverage. Damien Ryan (so) should be the starting SS, while it will be interesting to see the battle between Johnathon Couch and Jimmie Kern (Fr).

The special team players will once again be kicker Henry Meador and punter Edward Velez.

Washington has a lot of holes to fill and unfortunately only had 9 scholarships for the 2014 season and 2 were used to get key transfers who will not be ready eligible until the 2015 season. With 23 seniors and 19 of those scholarship seniors, next seasons recruiting class will be very important.

-----

After 15 very solid spring practices over 5 weeks, the Purple and Gold spring game is about to take place at Husky Stadium before a crowd of 35,000 fans. Coach Martin is hoping to set the tone like they did last season with this group. The game will be the starting offense against the #2 defense (Purple) while the starting defense will take on the #2 offense (Gold). Ryan York has emerged again like last season as the #1 QB and will lead the Purple while fellow senior Carlos Samuel's will lead the Gold team.

Offensive Coordinator Kim Keating be the coach of the Purple, while DC Chris Johnson will lead the Gold team.

Gold 27 Purple 21

Strong offensive play of Charles Samuel's who threw for 2 TD's and 242 yards to out-duel Ryan York and the #1 offense 27-21. Ryan threw for 2 TD's but also threw 2 Int's and passed for 211 yards. The Purple team out-gained the Gold 375 yards to 332 yards.

Coach Martin after the game comments - Overall I thought we played a pretty solid game on offense but we have some mistakes and a lot of penalties to clean up. That is the area I am most concerned about, but I am pleased with our progress. We are very young team in a lot of areas and we have some areas where we have a lack of quality depth. The small recruiting class this past year is a bit of a hindrance in us making some of the moves we would have liked, but we have a lot of hard working kids and some great coaches that will get them to play at their highest level.

Archived