Victory Wrestling Association: New Year, New Era (CV14)

Victory Wrestling Association: New Year, New Era

Posted by The Grand Avatar on December 30, 2013 // 0 Comments

In my time following wrestling, it’s always intrigued me how certain regions prosper regardless of the talent available. The Canadian wrestling landscape seems impossibly able to produce talent after talent despite its relatively small population. One of wrestling’s greatest failings in my opinion is the lack of a great European company; the States have their SWFs, their TCWs and their USPWs; Japan their GCGs, their PGHWs, their BHOTWGs; even the United Kingdom has 21CW. Yet mainland Europe; for all the people living there lacks one great wrestling company to get behind. Once upon a time there was UCR but since the doors closed in May 2007, nobody has successfully plugged the gap.

That’s where I come into the equation; my career not exemplified by great wrestling accomplishments but rather by business accomplishments in Europe, the States and the United Kingdom. It was by virtue of these accomplishments that I made some friends within the wrestling industry; not big names by any shot of the imagination, but enough to bring me back to Europe with a clear vision in mind as to where I wanted to go next.

After a year of religiously attending wrestling shows across Europe, I’d made up my mind on my next challenge and using what I could leverage in terms of friendships I found myself on a ski trip with the owner of one of Europe’s three promotions, Albert Thorp. As a fellow native of Switzerland, we bonded over a mutual love of the ski slopes and a very keen eye for business. It was as a direct result of this friendship that I was able to take a 51% controlling stake in the Victory Wrestling Association.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/rdarnz/VWA_zps5d57a8aa.jpg

Albert, despite his keen eye for business wasn’t a wrestling man – he simply saw an opportunity at a time when Europe lacked a true promotion to call its own. This was the reasoning for him merely being a financial backer and not involving himself with the day-to-day ins and outs of the promotion, instead leaving that to industry veteran, Randy Haute. This was how, after a long day on the ski slopes, I was able to convince him to let me give it a go in terms of making VWA a force to be reckoned with. He was happy to continue financially aiding the company, provided I assisted equally – how could I refuse the offer to tackle one of my dreams without needing to start absolutely from scratch.

Our discussion of the current product led to me attempting to paint a picture of how to be successful; this didn’t quite look like the vision shaped by Randy Haute. His persistence with the Ultimate Hybrid style, the lack of good and bad divide and insistence upon no alliances, whilst revolutionary wasn’t a product that was truly commercially viable. My challenge was going to be tweaking the current product without completely losing our current fan base; could I become more commercially viable whilst maintaining their support? Or would I have to sacrifice our current fans in a bid for greatness?

OOC: This hopefully explains the direction change in terms of the VWA product.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37726" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong><span style="font-size:14px;">Big Changes Afoot</span></strong><p> <span style="font-size:8px;"><em><span style="color:#2F4F4F;">Posted by </span></em></span><span style="font-size:8px;"><em><span style="color:#2F4F4F;"><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">The Grand Avatar</span></strong></span></em></span><span style="font-size:8px;"><em><span style="color:#2F4F4F;"> on January 4, 2014</span></em></span><span style="font-size:8px;"><em> // </em></span><span style="font-size:8px;"><em><strong>0</strong></em></span><span style="font-size:8px;"><em> Comments</em></span></p><p> </p><p> As expected, rumors of the upcoming adjustments to the product became common knowledge online within less than a week; leading to threats of boycotting the next event from some quarters. Clearly, despite my best efforts to maintain some of the VWA roots; I wasn’t going to win everyone over. I saw it merely as a short-term loss of popularity though, because I knew we’d win some new fans when the new product debuted. The backlash from the changes though gave me an idea; it presented the perfect opportunity to take someone from our roster and make them truly hated by the fans. For every door that closes, another opens after all. </p><p> </p><p> Time will tell who the fans blame for the shift but in the short-term I was fully intending on letting a certain few claim their culpability. This would hopefully form the major story arc of my first year in charge; that was my hope anyhow.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span style="font-size:8px;"><strong>OOC:</strong></span><span style="font-size:8px;"> The new product is styled loosely around the previous Ultimate Hybrid product but with a clear shift towards Sports Entertainment. There is a slight move away from Traditional, Comedy, Risque, Modern, Realism, Hyper Realism, Lucha Libre and Pure stylings and a massive shift away from the Cult, Hardcore and Daredevil offerings; explaining the loss of popularity that accompanied the changes. The shift to a clear Face/Heel Divide and away from the previous Singles competition only is also notable.</span></p>

VWA Broken Empire Preview

Posted by The Grand Avatar on January 12, 2014 // 0 Comments

Throughout history empires have grown, only to crumble under the weight of their desires for domination.

Lofty ambitions have failed to materialise; greatness and immortality snatched from their grasp.

A timeless battle rages, a battle to prove that one can truly belong in the company of history’s greats.

For one company the empire has collapsed without ever taking leave from within it’s own borders.

It has capitulated; fallen and crumbled around itself.

But it has the chance to rise up from the rubble and with great courage and passion can take it’s first daunting steps on the road to glory.

The world should be on notice because the young men of VWA have set about building their legacies.

This empire may be broken but the rebuilding begins this week in Bremen.

CONFIRMED MATCHES

Sebastian Koller © vs Landon Mallory vs Randy Haute - VWA European Title

Matthew Macks © vs Lauro Giordano - VWA Swiss Title

Jasper January vs Cub Balowicz

Griffin vs Modern Day Warlord

Antonio Arias vs Wild Child

OOC: Predictions are welcomed; I will be running some sort of prediction contest - not currently decided upon whether prizes will be offered.

Love me some VWA

Looking forward to Dark Falcon, Herc Johansson and Double Dutch representing

<p>Sebastian Koller © vs <strong>Landon Mallory</strong> vs Randy Haute - VWA European Title</p><p>

<strong>Matthew Macks</strong> © vs Lauro Giordano - VWA Swiss Title</p><p>

Jasper January vs <strong>Cub Balowicz</strong></p><p>

<strong>Griffin</strong> vs Modern Day Warlord</p><p>

<strong>Antonio Arias</strong> vs Wild Child</p>

<p>Sebastian Koller © vs Landon Mallory vs<strong> Randy Haute</strong> - VWA European Title</p><p>

<strong>Matthew Macks ©</strong> vs Lauro Giordano - VWA Swiss Title</p><p>

<strong>Griffin </strong>vs Modern Day Warlord</p><p>

Antonio Arias vs<strong> Wild Child</strong></p>

<p><strong>Sebastian Koller ©</strong> vs Landon Mallory vs Randy Haute - VWA European Title</p><p>

Griffin vs <strong>Modern Day Warlord</strong></p><p>

Antonio Arias vs <strong>Wild Child</strong></p>

<p>VWAs an interesting one, I've played around in Europe and the UK quite a bit but never played VWA, mainly because of their strange product mix.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

CONFIRMED MATCHES</p><p>

<strong>Sebastian Koller ©</strong> vs Landon Mallory vs Randy Haute - VWA European Title</p><p>

Griffin vs <strong>Modern Day Warlord</strong></p><p>

<p><strong>Sebastian Koller</strong> © vs Landon Mallory vs Randy Haute - VWA European Title</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Matthew Macks</strong> © vs Lauro Giordano - VWA Swiss Title</p><p> </p><p>

Jasper January vs <strong>Cub Balowicz</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Griffin</strong> vs Modern Day Warlord</p><p> </p><p>

Archived