Booking a cult storyline

I'm running a PWSUX game in the Thunderverse, and I have my top heel (Scott Cross) as the leader of a cult stable with a big menacing bodyguard and a sexy lady manager. Trouble is, I can't come up with any interesting storylines for them, beyond the usual "stablemates interfere in leader's matches, top face challenges them, etc." stuff.

Have any of you guys run any successful cult/stable storylines? If so, any advice?

I'm running a PWSUX game in the Thunderverse, and I have my top heel (Scott Cross) as the leader of a cult stable with a big menacing bodyguard and a sexy lady manager. Trouble is, I can't come up with any interesting storylines for them, beyond the usual "stablemates interfere in leader's matches, top face challenges them, etc." stuff.

Have any of you guys run any successful cult/stable storylines? If so, any advice?

These sort of storylines can really peak interest if booked right. That said, it's all about how you create the vibe of the group. Does the leader need his men to interfere? Are we booking toward someone FINALLY getting their hands on him? Is he tough enough to beat people on his own (hence people believe in his word that much more)?

As for storylines, here are just a few off the top of my head..

1) Recruiting new members... How that plays out...

2) Recruiting a member(s) who aren't interested. This could become a stalking-like scenario where the babyface can't go anywhere without being reminded of the cult leader. It's a way of trying to brainwash him into the group.

3) Rivaling 'prophets'. Another person believes that the cult leader isn't the 'real prophet' and another challenges him (most likely someone not already in the stable) & professes that he sees the 'real light'.

4) Mass destruction. This heel cult leader decides that it's in his 'destiny' to destroy the company you're booking. He creates chaos using an army of followers.

Those are the ideas that come to mind right away. Good luck!

I'd think the number one thing a cult would look to do is expand. The cult leader would want to recruit new members who could be useful to him. So an obvious storyline would be to have him try to lure a babyface to the dark side, by violently interjecting himself into his matches, by "helping" him in cruel and unusual ways... only to be heroically rejected. Or maybe not. Maybe he does successfully recruit.

<p>E-V and Self hit on it pretty solidly. Especially Eisen's comment about the vibe of the group. You need to have a solid idea of the group yourself before you can really give them intent and direction. </p><p> </p><p>

To me, the idea of a cult means you need to have a purpose. An intent. A goal. A reason for being. A cult is built around either someone charismatic (which Cross is) or a shared ideal. Sharing of that ideal and expansion seems panacea to a cult as well. </p><p> </p><p>

Looking at the Wyatt Family, some viewers find the group's objectives to be vague and blurry, which is why the group doesn't resound with everyone. Are they there to save everone? To corrupt everyone? If you have a good feel for the group, their purpose and intent, then quite literally, stories start to fall together very easily.</p>

Archived