JCP: The Race To The Top [TGAAB]

I'll do my usual run through of comments in predictions after the final Showdown is up but I wanted to respond to these two as they were separate.

Oh dear, you've inadvertently turned Sarge face.:p I imagined a crowd roar of approval when he smacked Tony. Poor Tony, no one ever liked him. He was Michael Cole before Cole was stinking up RAW.

Everyone loves Tony! I don't know what you mean! I think it'll take more than this to turn that dastardly Sgt. Slaughter a face - he's burned his bridges with America!

Just out of curiosity Anderz, are you going to do a Crockett and keep buying out smaller NWA promotions until you are basically the NWA? If that's even possible of course, I imagine TEW is a lot more forgiving than IRL.

I've not got a particular view either way on this; on the one hand I think it's beneficial to keep the smaller territories around in game so I'm not in a "must buy anyone" kind of mode but should one of them be in financial peril I'd have to step in. I don't think there's a promotion I could buy and give the AWA treatment to however (unless All Japan crash badly) so it would probably sneak under the radar for the most part.

As far as the next show goes, I've got the save back from TFC and Showdown is all but ready to go and will therefore be up after the Royal Rumble and the following Main Event. So there should be plenty of time to get your predictions in.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match

Tully Blanchard © vs. "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Special Referee: "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson

AWA World Heavyweight Championship Match

Honky Tonk Man © vs. "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko

NWA United States Heavyweight Championship Match

Don "The Rock" Muraco © vs. "The Real American Hero" Sgt. Slaughter

NWA World Tag Team Championship Match

The Fabulous Freebirds © (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy) vs. Dusty & Dustin Rhodes

NWA World Television Championship Match

"Mr. Fantastic" Terry Taylor © vs. "Cowboy" Bob Orton Jr.

NWA United States Tag Team Championship Match

The North-South Connection © (Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch) vs. The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)

"The King of Wrestling" Harley Race vs. Mr. T

"The Total Package" Lex Luger vs. Barry Windham

Ken Patera vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

The Axis of Evil (The Iron Sheik & Ivan Koloff) vs. The Guerrero Brothers (Hector & Chavo Guerrero)

Austin Idol vs. Doug Gilbert

Sid Vicious vs. Cocoa Samoa

Bonus Questions:

1. Which match was the best match on the show? Blanchard vs. Ric Flair

2. Which match was the worst match on the show? Race vs. Mr. T

3. One match will not take place, which one will it be? Race vs. Mr. T

4. How many titles will change hands? 1

-Flair may get the belt back eventually, but not here, at less than 100% and with AA as the ref.

-I think HTM will be holding onto this one for awhile yet.

-Slaughter's gimmick seems custom made for this title.

The Fabulous Freebirds © (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy) vs. Dusty & Dustin Rhodes

-Dustin isn't ready yet.

-When I think of the Horsemen, I think of multiple titleholders in the group. This is a good chance to get some more gold in the faction.

The North-South Connection © (Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch) vs. The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)

-I could see Lane & Keirn winning by DQ or something, but the belts don't change hands.

-Harley winning feels like the end of this story, and I don't think it's ending just yet.

-A good night for the Horsemen.

-Not sure about this one. You seem to be pushing Patera, but I think Bammer has more value going forward.

The Axis of Evil (The Iron Sheik & Ivan Koloff) vs. The Guerrero Brothers (Hector & Chavo Guerrero)

-End of the road for Cocoa.

Bonus Questions:

1. Which match was the best match on the show? I'll say HTM vs. Larry

2. Which match was the worst match on the show? Idol vs. Gilbert

3. One match will not take place, which one will it be? I think I know the answer to this, so I'm not going to answer.

4. How many titles will change hands? 2

Bonus Questions:

1. Which match was the best match on the show? Blanchard vs. Flair

2. Which match was the worst match on the show? Sid vs. Cocoa

3. One match will not take place, which one will it be? Race vs. Mr. T

In pre-show matches: The Gilbert Brothers defeated Mark Starr & Art Barr in 5:52 (D); Austin Idol defeated Sean Royal in 6:26 (C-); Diamond Dallas Page defeated Brian Blair in 5:37 (D); The Von Erichs defeated The Terminator & Jimmy Garvin in 6:37 (C-).

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/FridayNightShowdown_zps19309d39.jpg

Friday Night Showdown

January 27th, 1989

From the Independence Arena – Charlotte, NC

Attendance: 9,605 (SOLD OUT)

Announce Team: Jim Ross, Boyd Pierce & Nick Bockwinkel

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/JimRoss_zps3573cbd6.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/BoydPierce_zps1053571f.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/NickBockwinkel1_zps65fdd458.jpg

In the Interview Area:

The show began with “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes talking with Tony Schiavone – the Dream was very candid as he discussed tomorrow night’s World Tag Team title shot for Dusty and his son. Dusty told Tony that he felt like it was all or nothing for the pair as a tag team; and that if they didn’t manage to take the titles tomorrow night then maybe Dusty wasn’t the best teacher for Dustin after all. Dusty quickly turned that negative into a positive stating that tonight they would both be in singles action against the Freebirds – and the Rhodes family will gain all the momentum for tomorrow night at WrestleWar.

(Grade: B)

In-ring Interview:

We head to the ring where the Four Horsemen have taken station with NWA Champion Tully Blanchard front and centre. Tully once again taunts the absent Ric Flair; telling the Nature Boy that being M.I.A. for three weeks was not the best preparation for a World title match – but then neither is a Piledriver on a steel chair. The Horsemen run down their former leader with the general theme being that he was weak and the group is stronger than ever – they plan to prove as much at WrestleWar.

(Grade: B-)

Blackjack Mulligan arrives from the back with son Kendall Windham closely behind him – and the Blackjack has heard enough self-promotion and nonsense from the Horsemen. Kendall was itching for a fight and Blackjack suggested that his two sons square off in the ring right here tonight. Barry laughed at the suggestion – but agreed that Kendall should wrestle tonight; but against Arn Anderson – because even referee’s need to warm up before the big fight.

(Grade: C+)

“The Enforcer” Arn Anderson (w/ Ole Anderson) vs. Kendall Windham (w/ Blackjack Mulligan)

Despite only being a referee tomorrow night, the Enforcer showed his in-ring calibre as he slowly and deliberately dissected the younger Windham. Kendall had a brief spirited fight back but it all came to a crashing end thanks to a Spinebuster from Double A.

Winner: Arn Anderson at 3:31

(Grade: C-)

In-ring Interview:

Mr. T and the Enemy are the next men on the scene; with the loud mouthed Mr. T running down Harley Race. T was speculating on why we hadn’t seen Race for the last few weeks – coming to the obvious, to him at least, conclusion that the so-called King of Wrestling had gotten scared and ran away. Mr. T once again promised the fans a showcase of his tag team’s ability as The Enemy were in action next.

The Enemy (Ron Simmons & Larry Cameron w/ Teddy Long & Mr. T) vs. Tommy Rich & Audie Hager

As has been the case of recent weeks, Mr. T was proved not to be a liar as Simmons and Cameron put on another showcase of their skills. The former US Champions made light work of their makeshift opponents with Cameron getting the victory over Hager thanks to a double team Spinebuster.

Winners: The Enemy at 5:05

After the match:

An unannounced Harley Race stormed down to the ring and began to fight off the Enemy. He sent Simmons crashing to the outside before slamming Cameron in the centre of the ring. Race went up top looking for his signature Diving Headbutt but Mr. T and Simmons pulled Cameron out of harm’s way in the nick of time. Race invited Mr. T into the ring to settle things right here tonight – but T simply smiled and told Harley that he would do his fighting tomorrow night.

Dustin Rhodes vs. Terry Gordy (w/ Diamond Dallas Page)

This is our first warm-up matches for the World Tag Team title match at WrestleWar as the Freebirds met the Rhodes Family in one-on-one clashes. The match was highlighted by Gordy’s menacing brawling going head to head with Dustin’s youthful exuberance. For every shot that Gordy threw, Dustin would take it and give one back. This continued until DDP made the difference at ringside – tripping Dustin up as he hit the ropes; allowing Gordy to hit a stiff Belly-to-Back Suplex to pick up the hard fought victory.

Winner: Terry Gordy at 7:22

In the Interview Area:

Tony Schiavone was standing by the United States Heavyweight Champion Don Muraco and The Rock had got some choice words for his challenger Sgt. Slaughter. Muraco told Slaughter that he too was a proud American but he did not use that as an excuse to further his own despicable agenda. The Rock didn’t know what Slaughter’s end game was but he knew he didn’t like it. Muraco is proud to be the US Champion and will show The Sarge the very best that the USA has to offer tomorrow night.

(Grade: C)

Don “The Rock” Muraco vs. The Iron Sheik (w/ Ivan Koloff)

In another warm-up match of sorts, the US Champion faced off with his challenger’s right hand man. The Sheik spent most of the match declaring that Iran was number one and his distaste for all things USA. Muraco took personal offence to this but didn’t let it take him off of his game - as a nasty reverse Piledriver gave the champion the non-title victory.

Winner: Don Muraco at 10:09

After the match:

Koloff jumps into the ring after the bell and heads straight for Muraco – he is quickly joined by Sgt. Slaughter and the recovering Iron Sheik. Muraco valiantly tries to battle back but the three-on-one odds seem to be too much for him until Hector Guerrero rushes down to the ring to make the save. Slaughter quickly exits, but Hector gets a couple of shots in on Koloff and Sheik before clearing the ring and helping Muraco back up to his feet.

Honky Tonk Man and The North-South Connection (Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch) vs. “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko and The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)

We had a huge six man tag team match as the co-main event and the announce team talked about all of the interlinking rivalries that this match had. With Honky and Zbyszko having history, but also the Living Legend's recent rivalry with the Connection. All the while the six men in the ring gave a great account of themselves and put on a fantastic match. It was Zbyszko who gave his team the victory in the end but he could only force the submission from Murdoch - but he signalled that the Larryland Dreamer would be in the Honky Tonk Man's future tomorrow night.

Winners: Larry Zbyszko and The Fabulous Ones at 11:06

In the Interview Area:

Tony Schiavone was standing by with James J. Dillon and Totally Fantastic. Dillon talked up his team and their abilities as both a tag team and singles wrestlers. Dillon predicted that in the future he saw the duo holding either one of the NWA’s Tag Team titles but more importantly he saw both men as future World Champions. Taylor and Luger then both promised victory tomorrow night against their respective opposition from the Four Horsemen and stated that they believed that both men would be right at the top of the list to challenge for the NWA World Championship.

(Grade: D+)

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes vs. Michael “P.S.” Hayes (w/ Diamond Dallas Page)

It was main event time; and the second in our one-on-one warm-up matches between the World Tag Team Champions and their challengers. Unlike earlier in the night, the veteran Dream was fully aware of DDP's tactics on the outside and was quick to stamp them out. Hayes did still manage to take advantage but in a one-on-one fight it was always going to be the American Dream's night.

Winner: Dusty Rhodes at 17:34

Pre-taped Interview:

We then cut to a pre-taped interview with “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair from his home just down the road. Flair directed his comments straight to Tully Blanchard – and told him that he could stack the deck against Flair all he wanted. He could have Arn Anderson as the referee, it didn’t matter. He could attack him with a steel chair and give him a concussion, it didn’t matter. Because nothing would stop the stylin’, profilin’, limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin’ dealin’, son of a gun – the Nature Boy, from becoming a seven-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Overall Show Grade: B

I really think we're going for Sarge here, but I went with Muraco because if Slaughter takes the US title, then all of your top belts are on heels.

That's something I hadnt even considered - a Sarge win would make it even more heel heavy at the top; unless one of the main titles changes as well. Who knows? It's quite heel-heavy Champion-wise in the WWF as well so it's not just me... blame the '80s? Anyway, don't underestimate the Rock!

I actually go with title change here since Dusty is likely over enough to get the belts off from Freebirds without hurting their popularity much and tag title reign would help build Dustin up.

This one seems to have a lot of people split; with the view either being Dustin is too low; or that the win will build Dustin up. It's true Dustin is only Lower Midcard while Dusty and the Freebirds are all Main Eventers but since when has that mattered? You're definitely right Zergon - the Freebirds will be fine with the loss whilst Dustin will benefit massively. Conversely, the defeat won't affect Dusty at all either and Dustin is that much lower that he will still benefit just by being in the ring. Interesting dynamic.

-Slaughter's gimmick seems custom made for this title.

-When I think of the Horsemen, I think of multiple titleholders in the group. This is a good chance to get some more gold in the faction.

3. One match will not take place, which one will it be? I think I know the answer to this, so I'm not going to answer.

The American turncoat does seem a good fit for the US title; but I said above - everyone seems to be split on this one as well.

You are right, the Horsemen arent the same with only one title belt. But then the Horsemen arent the same without Ric Flair. My point, this is a different kind of Horsemen. At the same time, they still want all the gold. Riddles are what I'm talking.

As for your final point here; I have a feeling I missed a couple of matches off of the pre-booking if that's what you're basing this on. The match that doesn't happen was actually on my pre-booking sheet as I didn't want to give anything away to you in case you stumbled across it. Of course, I could quite easily have told you and just forgot so in that case ignore me!

Great show, Anderz.

Thanks buddy! Glad you enjoyed the show; it was the highest rated TV show since I took over.

I'm really pumped for WrestleWar; I've ran the show in game and am in the process of writing the show up now. It shouldn't be more than a day or two now - unless there are any other really well made points I need to comment on; this will be my last post before the PPV.

In pre-show matches: Big Boss Man defeated Mark Starr in 4:09 (C-); The Von Erichs defeated Masters of Pain in 6:20 (B-); Jushin Liger defeated Brad James to retain the NWA World Cruiserweight Championship in 8:49 (C-).

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/wrestlewar_zps270d977b.jpg

NWA WrestleWar ‘89

January 28th, 1989

From the Richfield Coliseum – Richfield Township, OH

Attendance: 20,015 (SOLD OUT)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/JimRoss_zps3573cbd6.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/BoydPierce_zps1053571f.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/NickBockwinkel1_zps65fdd458.jpg

After all the fanfare and fireworks to kick off the show, our three-man announce team welcome us to WrestleWar – the first pay-per-view spectacular of 1989. Our announcers talk about the huge night ahead of us, with two Starrcade rematches and six titles on the line – but they focus on the main event and the battle between NWA World Champion Tully Blanchard and Ric Flair. They quickly talk about Flair's recent concussion at the hands of Blanchard and the doubts surrounding his physical condition – and on top of that the likelihood that special referee Arn Anderson will do anything but call it down the middle.

We head straight backstage to Tony Schiavone who is with our special referee - “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson. Double A is already wearing the stripes and he tells Tony that everyone is speculating about how he will factor in the NWA World title match tonight – but Anderson is a man of high morals and truly believes that only the deserving man should be the World Champion. When questioned further, Anderson confirms that he will indeed be calling things exactly down the middle – he will put his history with both men behind him and ensure that the right man leaves WrestleWar with the gold.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/nwaustag1_zps4612255d.jpg

The North-South Connection © (Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch) vs. The Fabulous Ones (Steve Keirn & Stan Lane w/ Blackjack Mulligan)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/AdrianAdonis2_zps0de5dd22.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/DickMurdoch86_zpsc85826aa.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/SteveKeirnFabOne_zps9ab519cd.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/StanLaneFabOne_zps272cdee9.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/BlackjackMulligan_zps6a02f396.jpg

• Whilst these two team might not have much of a rivalry going into this battle, that didn't stop them from putting on a great battle over the US Tag titles. The Fabulous Ones took the fight to the Champions and had them on the ropes early on.
  • But the match took a turn once the Connection slowed down the pace and from that point on there was no turning back. After even more back and forth, Adonis picked up the win during a spell of chaos – dropping Keirn with a DDT to retain the titles.

Winners and Still NWA United States Tag Team Champions: The North-South Connection at 13:04

Backstage, we see Eddie Gilbert talking to his younger brothers in the locker room – Eddie tells Doug to take his time his match tonight and not let the moment get the better of him. Eddie tells Doug that this may be his first pay-per-view match but he's been training for this match for years and that Austin Idol will be no match for him. Doug thanks his brother for the encouragement, but he doesn't want him at ringside as he has to prove something to himself tonight.

(Grade: D)

Austin Idol (w/ Missy Hyatt) vs. Doug Gilbert

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Missy%20Hyatt%2087_zpsvw9dmizf.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Austin%20Idol_zpsbc0rmnyd.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Doug%20Gilbert_zpsbcyfxhpd.jpg

• Doug Gilbert may have been hyped up for this match, but his confidence may have got the better of him when he requested that his brother Eddie wasn't at ringside. Idol weathered the early storm and took control – finishing Doug off quickly with figure four leglock to get the submission victory.

Winner: Austin Idol at 6:14

Tony Schiavone is backstage and has the unfortunate task of interviewing the self-proclaimed “Real American Hero” Sgt. Slaughter. Slaughter immediately dismisses Schiavone and begins running through his insults on the current state of the country. Slaughter believes that there is nobody in the company who could possibly uphold the great values of the United States of America apart from him. This is why Slaughter believes it is his job to take the US Heavyweight title away from the pathetic excuse of a Champion that we currently have. Slaughter believes he is better than Muraco in every single way – he doesn't have a chance of retaining his title tonight.

The Axis of Evil (Ivan Koloff & The Iron Sheik) vs. The Guerrero Brothers (Hector & Eddie Guerrero)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Ivan%20Koloff%2088_zpsk40elxxf.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/The%20Iron%20Sheik%2080s_zpsj2gbnosx.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/HectorGuerrero3_zps0f6901d2.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Eddie%20Guerrero%203_zpsm26wsdrv.jpg

• After Slaughter riled up the fans, Sheik and Koloff continued the anti-America vibe to the point that when Hector and his youngest brother Eddie made their arrival the fans were firmly rooting for the Guerreros.
  • This match was certainly a case of the wily old veterans taking on the high flying young upstarts. And after overcoming the bigger, stronger pairing of Sheik and Koloff – it was Hector who came soaring off the top rope with a Frog Splash on the Iron Sheik to seal the upset victory.

Winners: The Guerrero Brothers at 8:38

Ahead of our next contest, the NWA Commissioner makes his way to the ring – Harley Race is in his wrestling gear and is warming up in the ring when he gets jumped from behind by the Enemy. Simmons and Cameron take Race down to the canvas and put the boots into him. Race attempts to fight back but the numbers advantage gets even better for the Enemy as their spokesperson Mr. T hits the ring and joins in the attack. T blatantly slips a chain around his fist as Simmons and Cameron hold Race wide open – allowing T to land three or four vicious punches to the face. Race is busted open and slumps to the canvas in a heap as the Enemy look on at Mr. T's handy work.

A man who isn't impressed however, is Magnum T.A. - who storms down to the ring to confront Mr. T; who simply stands behind his tag team and taunts Magnum. The two men exchange words as the medical team attend to Race and carry him off to the back on a stretcher. Mr. T has no remorse; and consequently Magnum makes an impromptu match – with the Enemy taking on Race's protégé’s the Southern Boys right here, right now.

The Enemy (Ron Simmons & Larry Cameron w/ Mr. T & Teddy Long) vs. The Southern Boys (Steve Armstrong & Tracy Smothers)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/MrT85_copy_zpsdf07997e.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/TeddyLong0_zpsd1e1fb14.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/RonSimmons0_zps984b3ea9.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/LarryCameron_zpsc0c1fb56.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Steve%20Armstrong%201_zpsptzfldhi.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Tracy%20Smothers%201_zpsfcevgvsq.jpg

• Armstrong and Smothers started like the proverbial house of fire; punishing the Enemy in a fair two-on-two fight – but once Simmons and Cameron managed to get some breathing room the battle didn't last long. With Mr. T directing traffic at ringside, the Enemy worked their way around their opponents and the referee to allow a double Spinebuster on Armstrong to earn the victory.

Winners: The Enemy at 6:51

“Playboy” Gary Hart makes his way down to the ring next, and his sole purpose is to hype up his two big monsters – Ken Patera and Sid Vicious. Hart talks about how Cocoa Samoa is no longer useful to him and that Sid will teach him a lesson tonight – the only way he can stay under Hart's employment is to win tonight. Hart talks about the strongman Ken Patera – claiming that not even a man the size of Bam Bam Bigelow could possibly break Patera's Full Nelson lock.

Sid Vicious (w/ Gary Hart) vs. Cocoa Samoa

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/GaryHart2_zpscd23e8cb.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Sid%20Vicious%2089_zpsntkyzuvq.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Cocoa%20Samoa%2085_zpshvpf7fvc.jpg

• It might have been Cocoa Samoa's final chance to redeem himself in the eyes of Gary Hart but unfortunately for him – Sid Vicious was not playing game. The big monster destroyed Samoa and didn't let him breath until a huge Powerbomb ended the night quickly.

Winner: Sid Vicious at 2:44

Ken Patera (w/ Gary Hart) vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (w/ Precious)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/GaryHart2_zpscd23e8cb.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/KenPatera85_zpse5a1d7df.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Bam%20Bam%20Bigelow%2087_zpsjalj2syl.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Precious_zps51l6kuye.jpg

• In a true clash between two of the biggest men in the whole of the NWA; the proverbial unstoppable force clashed head on with the immovable object. This contest was never going to last long – but Bam Bam got the edge early and not even the Full Nelson could stop him. Bigelow planted Patera in the centre of the ring and landed a crushing diving headbutt from the top rope to take the victory.

Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow at 5:33

After the bell, Gary Hart's other big monster returned to the ring – and Sid Vicious got right into the face of Bam Bam. Hart tried to call him off – but the two just stood, unflinching stare a hole right through each other.

The ever busy Tony Schiavone was backstage again, but this time he was standing by with the NWA World Heavyweight Champion – Tully Blanchard. Tully was in a great mood, believing that even though Ric Flair might show up he would be far from 100%. Blanchard predicted a great night for the Four Horsemen, telling Tony that they will go three for three. Tully was backing Windham to shut Lex Luger up for good; Orton to take the TV title and bring it home – and of course, Tully and Arn would ensure that the NWA World title stayed firmly around the waist of the most deserving man in wrestling.

“The Total Package” Lex Luger (w/ James J. Dillon) vs. Barry Windham (w/ Ole Anderson)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/JJDillon88_zpsfcb5faca.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Lex%20Luger%2088_zpsmhmp51zj.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/BarryWindham87_zps8afd67bd.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/OleAnderson_zps702a5c1e.jpg

• The first opportunity for the Four Horsemen to take a victory came as Windham went head to head with a long-time rival of the Horsemen – Lex Luger. The two powerhouses clashed at the bell and continued to go back and forth until the end of the match.
  • Luger's power and strength gave him the edge early, but it would take a lot more than just a few power moves to put Windham down. But Luger was determined not to give Windham a chance – but Barry was equally determined and we ultimately ended up in a situation where the two men crashed into each other and took out the referee.
  • With the official down, Barry's younger brother Kendall came rushing down to the ring. The younger Windham was visibly angry and it mistreatment by his brother recently and grabbed a chair – he swung for Barry; but his brother ducked and Luger caught the full brunt of the chair in the face. Barry sent Kendall crashing out of the ring and made the cover on the semi-conscious Luger to steal a lucky victory.

Winner: Barry Windham at 11:18

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/nwatv_zps5640da87.jpg

“Mr. Fantastic” Terry Taylor © (w/ James J. Dillon) vs. “Cowboy” Bob Orton Jr. (w/ Ole Anderson)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/JJDillon88_zpsfcb5faca.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/TerryTaylor87_zps59d71bc8.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/BobOrtonJr87_zps0f501d2d.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/OleAnderson_zps702a5c1e.jpg

• Looking to continue the Horsemen roll; Bob Orton was up next to challenge Taylor for the TV title. In an equally hard hitting battle these two former team-mates gave each other everything they had. As the bigger man, this battle clearly favoured Orton – so it took a strategy change mid match from Taylor to give him any chance.
  • Mr. Fantastic came back with a rapid fire offence that left Orton reeling and on the back foot. Orton became frustrated as nothing that worked for him earlier on in the match was working anymore. The Cowboy decided that enough was enough, and he reached inside his boot and slipped something onto his right hand. Orton was blatant as the referee immediately stopped it; and as Orton connected with a haymaker to the side of Taylor's skull the DQ was called.

Winner by disqualification and Still NWA World Television Champion: Terry Taylor at 11:42

Backstage, “The American Dream” was standing by with his son Dustin and Tony Schiavone. Dusty told Tony that tonight was the night for Dusty to teach his son the best lesson possible; tonight was the night for the Rhodes Family – Dusty believes that tonight can be Dustin's career defining moment and he is absolutely certain that we will have new World Tag Team Champions by the end of the night.

Elsewhere in the locker room of the Fabulous Freebirds; Hayes, Gordy and DDP were plotting for their title defence tonight. Page told the Champions that he had a back-up plan for tonight – whilst Hayes and Gordy were confident that they would be perfectly fine just beating Dusty and Dustin up without any outside help. The announce team speculated just what back-up plan Page was talking about for the Champions – but guessed we would soon find out.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/nwatag1_zps8f1dab36.jpg

The Fabulous Freebirds © (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy w/ Diamond Dallas Page) vs. The Rhodes Family (Dusty & Dustin Rhodes)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/DDP91_zpsd106d015.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/MichaelHayes89_zps18e8df50.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/TerryGordy7_zpsdfcbead7.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/DustyRhodes87_zpscfdbde99.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/DustinRhodes0_zps115f3d49.jpg

• After all the pre-match talk – the Freebirds came to the ring full of confidence, but so did Dusty – it was only the younger Rhodes who showed the nerves that go hand in hand with a World Tag Team title match. But Dustin started the match and showed that he had full control of the nerves as he gave both Hayes and Gordy the run around for several minutes.
  • Eventually, thanks in no small part to the annoying presence of Page at ringside, Dustin got himself stuck in a two-on-one situation where the Freebirds worked him over and got close to retaining the titles before Dusty had even got into the match.
  • Dustin would eventually get a second wind, and just managed to tag in his father – and the American Dream tore the house down dropping everyone who came near him with a punch or an elbow; pulling just short of dropping the referee.
  • As Dusty laid out the Freebirds, Dustin was eager to get back in – to which Dusty obliged but this would ultimately signal the end of the match. Gordy took Dusty to the outside and the pair brawled around ringside – but this left Dustin alone with Hayes and the ever present Page.
  • Hayes argued with the referee, allowing DDP to slide into the ring and drop Dustin with a cutter that we learned was dubbed the Diamond Cutter. Page snuck back out of the ring as Hayes dropped a lazy elbow onto Dustin and covered for the three.

Winners and Still NWA World Tag Team Champions: The Fabulous Freebirds at 22:10

(Grade: B+)

The US Heavyweight Champion was in the back with Tony Schiavone and Don Muraco had some choice words for Sgt. Slaughter. The Rock told Slaughter that he would regret insulting the USA and he would damn sure regret insulting Muraco. Tonight won't be a wrestling match for the United States title – it would be a fight; this wasn't about Championships – this was about pride and standing up for America.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/nwaus_zpsbd3fb8fd.jpg

Don “The Rock” Muraco © vs. “The Real American Hero” Sgt. Slaughter

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/DonMuraco87_zps0f6901d2.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/SgtSlaughter0_zps0c3ae619.jpg

• This one was heated before the bell even rang; as Slaughter was almost inciting a riot by taunting the fans in the front row and disrespecting his so-called 'beloved' USA. Muraco was more than happy to step in a defend the country and his title and the bout started how it would go on – a knock-out, drag-out fist fight.
  • Muraco and Slaughter went toe-to-toe and slugged it out with each other with neither man taking a step back. That was until Slaughter decided to take the low road, using an eye rake and then a low blow – both of which went undetected – to assume control.
  • Slaughter worked over the neck of Muraco, and could probably have won the battle had he been more focussed in the ring than arguing with the fans. The Rock used the opening and fought back – but this time the pair tumbled out of the ring and all over the ringside area.
  • As the two men brawled over the announce table, the referee reached the count of ten and had no choice but to call the match a draw on a double count out.

Double Count Out at 17:55

Still NWA United States Heavyweight Champion: Don Muraco

We went backstage once again to Tony Schiavone, who now had Larry Zbyszko at his side – and the “Living Legend” was hyped up ahead of his title rematch. Larry told Schiavone that there was nothing stopping him tonight as he took back what was rightfully his – after tonight, Zbyszko would a two-time AWA World Heavyweight Champion.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/awaworld_zpsa9d7c292.jpg

Honky Tonk Man © vs. “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/HonkyTonkMan88_zpsc9168242.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/LarryZbyszko87_zpsc91b538d.jpg

• In a hotly anticipated rematch from Starrcade – Honky Tonk put up his AWA title against the man that he won it from. This match followed a very similar style to their first encounter as the “Living Legend” put on a wrestling clinic to control the battle early on.
  • Honky was once again flustered, unhappy with being upstaged on the mat – so he decided to try anything and everything to get the edge. But Zbyszko was seemingly prepared for everything that Honky had up his sleeve. Larry would make sure that the referee was never out of position and any time Honky looked for a cheap shot he was ready and fired right back.
  • As the match wore on, Larry didn't put a foot wrong – but as he set the Champion up for his patented Larryland Dreamer the match took a turn. Honky had evidently been playing possum; dropping Larry with a slam and landing a diving fist drop for a near fall.
  • Winning fairly was clearly not in Honky's game plan however, and he soon went straight for the guitar. Larry was once again prepared – as he grabbed the guitar and handed it over to the referee under protest. Honky had double bluffed him though; and used the distraction and hit Zbyszko with the Shake, Rattle and Roll and stole the victory.

Winner and Still AWA World Heavyweight Champion: Honky Tonk Man at 22:37

(Grade: A)

We went back to Tony Schiavone for his final pre-match interview of the night and he introduced his guest - “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair. Tony asked Flair whether he was back to 100% ahead of tonight's match – but the Nature Boy claimed that it didn't matter if he was 10% or 100%; because this match was for the NWA World Heavyweight title so he would always bring his A-game. Flair promised to overcome everything that Tully Blanchard could throw at him tonight; whether Arn Anderson acted like a referee or Tully's best friend – it wouldn't matter to Flair because tonight, when all is said and done – the Dirtiest Player in the Game would be a seven-time World Heavyweight Champion.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/nwaworld_zpsb9238e81.jpg

Tully Blanchard © (w/ Ole Anderson) vs. “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/OleAnderson_zps702a5c1e.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/TullyBlanchard88_zps54ddea2a.jpg vs. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/RicFlair89_zpsd6e041c0.jpg

Special Referee: “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/Arn%20Anderson%2089_ref_zpssz5yf4f5.jpg

• Much of the build up heading into this Starrcade rematch surrounding the potential involvement of special referee Arn Anderson – a fellow Horsemen member of the Champion; and also the undeniable less than perfect physical condition of the challenger after his concussion a few weeks ago.
  • But the battle started, and true to his word – Flair brought his A-game and looked to be at his best. Unfortunately for the challenger, Blanchard did the same and the duo went hell for leather from the off.
  • Flair worked the legs of Tully for much of the match; but whenever Tully had a chance he would focus in on Flair's weak spot – the head. Blanchard was clearly looking to inflict another concussion to his former friend and these targetting game plans gave a fantastic back and forth contest
  • However, after spending most of the match as a non-factor Arn Anderson finally came into play. Flair and Blanchard were locked up in the corner; with Tully refusing to break cleanly – Flair gave him a shove and sent Blanchard into the Enforcer. Arn simply looked at both men, and then back at his referee's shirt before calling for the bell – a move that shocked everyone in attendance.

Winner by disqualification: Ric Flair at 20:42

Still NWA World Heavyweight Champion: Tully Blanchard

(Grade: A)

As the bell sounds, Flair squared up to Anderson and demanded to know what the hell he was playing at. Double A simply told Flair that he was following the rules and that laying your hands on an official was cause for a disqualification. Flair refused to take that answer, but Blanchard blind-sided him and knocked him down. Blanchard and Anderson put the boots into Flair and fought back any attempt at retaliation. The pair continued the assault until Anderson came off the top rope and assisted Blanchard in dropping Flair on his head with a Spike Piledriver. The Horsemen stood tall once again over the fallen Nature Boy as WrestleWar came to an end.

Overall Show Grade: B+

PPV Buy Rate: 0.52

---

Ok, so there you have it! Enjoy WrestleWar. It's been a joy to book and write and an absolute nightmare to format. Hopefully the effort is worth it and everyone enjoys the show; as usual any feedback is more than appreciated.

On to the prediction results; and as a heads up - I think I'll run this contest through to the Crockett Cup in April and maybe aim for 3/4 contests over the year to spread the prizes out as I struggle to come up with any.

A maximum score would be 11 + 4 and to clear up the worst and best;

The two A-rated matches were Honky/Larry 94 and Tully/Flair 93 and the two D-rated matches were Sid/Cocoa 43 and Guerrero/Axis 46.

Congrats to everyone who took part; but it is Beejus who storms to an early lead.

Beejus 9 + 2

CPBHBK 8 + 2

smwilliams 8 + 1

The Final Countdown 7 + 1

franticloser 6 + 2

Zergon 5 + 2

BlueStar 5 + 1

pyroman 5 + 1

smurphy1014 5 + 2

lukess1 4 + 1

Thanks for reading everyone.

Woo! I win! I'm the greatest!

No prize yet? Dammit! :p

In all seriousness, a really good WrestleWar. No titles changing hands makes sense as all the champs have a good position right now. I would say that aside from the major happenings, I'm a bit excited to see Bigelow against Sid. Vicious and Hart are just a really solid pairing, as Sid would need a mouthpiece and Gary was one of the best.

Very strong show, both from an in-game and a writeup perspective. I'm actually surprised it wasn't an A considering both your main event and semi main hit that mark; maybe it was because none of the angles got stellar grades?

Good for Dustin, having a B+ match so soon after he entered the business. If only that darn DDP hadn't gotten involved, maybe he'd be a champion! :D

It should be interesting to see what's in store next for the two main event singles titles. I'm assuming Honky's finished with Larry Z, so I expect another challenger to come out of the woodwork soon. As for Flair vs. Tully and the Horsemen, that battle isn't done just yet, but I have a feeling we may not see another Flair/Tully match for awhile. I have nothing from in-game on which to base that; just a hunch on my part.

Very strong show, both from an in-game and a writeup perspective. I'm actually surprised it wasn't an A considering both your main event and semi main hit that mark; maybe it was because none of the angles got stellar grades?

Good for Dustin, having a B+ match so soon after he entered the business. If only that darn DDP hadn't gotten involved, maybe he'd be a champion! :D

It should be interesting to see what's in store next for the two main event singles titles. I'm assuming Honky's finished with Larry Z, so I expect another challenger to come out of the woodwork soon. As for Flair vs. Tully and the Horsemen, that battle isn't done just yet, but I have a feeling we may not see another Flair/Tully match for awhile. I have nothing from in-game on which to base that; just a hunch on my part.

On the one hand, I was disappointed - but as you said, the angles were a little bit of a let down so it balanced out. And as can be seen in the TGAAB-Verse Central - it was enough to push us up to National anyway.

Dustin has been impressive during my time; he's had the helping hand of being with stellar guys but I'm happy. Clearly DDP didn't learn to keep his nose out after the Road Warriors beat him up.

I've got something interesting (I think so anyway) on the card for both titles; and you may be right that Flair/Tully IV is a while away yet. More to be revealed on Showdown on that note.

Woo! I win! I'm the greatest!

No prize yet? Dammit! :p

In all seriousness, a really good WrestleWar. No titles changing hands makes sense as all the champs have a good position right now. I would say that aside from the major happenings, I'm a bit excited to see Bigelow against Sid. Vicious and Hart are just a really solid pairing, as Sid would need a mouthpiece and Gary was one of the best.

Sorry about the lack of prize!

Bigelow and Sid is something I'm looking forward to but (as will be shown on my creative meeting when I post it) there's still a big gap between them on the card so it may not be as imminent as it could be.

Good show Anderz, the ending was interesting and the Diamond Cutter by DDP to give the Freebirds the win was a highlight for me as well.

I'll be honest DDP's Rumble performance inspired me.

Nice show. Credit to some of the veterans: Larry seems to be putting on a good show.

I'd expect more from Taylor vs. Orton.

Larry definitely still has it; and I agree Taylor/Orton was a little bit worse than I expected. Maybe a clean finish and a bit more time is what they need?

I will have a Creative Meeting up shortly, in the style of TFC, and then I'll get back to work on my TV taping.

JCP Creative Meeting:

Roster Breakdown (Faces in blue, Heels in red)

Main Eventers:

Don Muraco (NWA United States Heavyweight Champion)

Dusty Rhodes

Hector Guerrero

Larry Zbyszko

Ric Flair

Stan Lane

Arn Anderson

Barry Windham

Dick Murdoch (NWA United States Tag Team Champion)

Honky Tonk Man (AWA World Heavyweight Champion)

Michael Hayes (NWA World Tag Team Champion)

Ron Simmons

Sgt. Slaughter

Terry Gordy (NWA World Tag Team Champion)

Tully Blanchard (NWA World Heavyweight Champion)

Upper Midcarders:

Bam Bam Bigelow

Big Boss Man

Dynamite Kid

Kerry Von Erich

Kevin Von Erich

Lex Luger

Terry Taylor (NWA World Television Champion)

Adrian Adonis (NWA United States Tag Team Champion)

Austin Idol

Blackblood

Bob Orton Jr.

Buddy Rose

Jimmy Snuka

Ken Patera

Kevin Sullivan

Midcarders:

Brian Blair

Chris Adams

Eddie Gilbert

Greg Gagne

Harley Race

Jerry Blackwell

Jushin Liger (NWA World Cruiserweight Champion)

Mike Graham

Ron Garvin

Steve Keirn

The Warrior

Tommy Rich

Afa

Bobby Jaggers

Cocoa Samoa

Ivan Koloff

Jimmy Garvin

Larry Cameron

Sid Vicious

Sika

The Iron Sheik

Lower Midcarders:

Chris Champion

Dustin Rhodes

Kendall Windham

Sean Royal

Shaun Simpson

Steve Armstrong

Steve Simpson

Tracy Smothers

Black Bart

Brad James

The Lord of Pain

Openers:

Audie Hager

Doug Gilbert

Scott Dixie

Johnny Ace

Mark Starr

Tanaka

The Terminator

Enhancement Talents:

Robbie Brookside

Art Barr

Diamond Dallas Page

Jaylyn

Occasional Wrestlers:

Mr. T

Non-Wrestlers:

Billy Robinson

Blackjack Mulligan

Boyd Pierce

David Crockett

Earl Hebner

James J. Dillon

Jim Ross

Lou Albano

Magnum T.A.

Nick Bockwinkel

Precious

Tara

Tommy Young

Tony Schiavone

Verne Gagne

Blackjack Lanza

Dirty White Girl

Gary Hart

Missy Hyatt

Ole Anderson

Teddy Long

Woman

Vacation:

Jim Crockett Jr.

Franchise Players:

1. Ric Flair

2. Dusty Rhodes

3. Don Muraco

4. Terry Gordy

5. Tully Blanchard

Hot Prospects:

1. Jushin Liger

2. Eddie Gilbert

3. Sid Vicious

4. The Warrior

5. Chris Champion

Talk the Talk:

1. Ric Flair

2. Dusty Rhodes

3. Nick Bockwinkel

4. Larry Zbyszko

5. Mr. T

Show Stoppers:

1. Ric Flair

2. Jushin Liger

3. Dynamite Kid

4. Kerry Von Erich

5. Jimmy Snuka

Ring Generals:

1. Ric Flair

2. Jushin Liger

3. Dynamite Kid

4. Hector Guerrero

5. Arn Anderson

Who's Hot:

1. Ric Flair

2. Honky Tonk Man

3. Tully Blanchard

4. Harley Race

5. Larry Zbyszko

Who's Not:

1. The Iron Sheik

2. Bobby Jaggers

3. Black Bart

4. Chris Champion

5. Kendall Windham

Time Decline:

1. Harley Race

2. Afa

3. The Iron Sheik

4. Ivan Koloff

5. Sika

Hidden Gems:

1. Shinya Hashimoto

2. Mack Jefferson

3. Rip Morgan

4. Scott Putski

5. Nelson Knight

It says a lot for the depth of your roster that a great wrestler like Tully, World champ and all, is not on your list of show stoppers or ring generals.

Here's hoping that you can manage to catch the same "lightning in a bottle" that Honky brought to the table with Warrior... but I'm not holding my breath on him having learned his lesson.

In pre-show matches: The Von Erichs defeated The Simpson Brothers in 6:58 ©; North-South Connection defeated the New Breed in 7:20 (C+); and Larry Zbyszko defeated Tanaka in 5:37 (B-).

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/FridayNightShowdown_zps19309d39.jpg

Friday Night Showdown

February 3rd, 1989

From the Bismarck Civic Center – Bismarck, ND

Attendance: 10,100 (SOLD OUT)

In-ring Interview:

As the announce team attempt to recap last week's WrestleWar pay-per-view they are interrupted by the arrival of Ric Flair. The Nature Boy gives his own recap, and he is mad about what went down in the main event – he has a bone to pick with both Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson. Flair quickly gets to his point; he wants a rematch for the NWA World Heavyweight title – and he wants it in three weeks when the NWA returns to pay-per-view. On that request, Blanchard makes his arrival – telling Flair in no uncertain terms that he would not be getting a rematch any time soon – not until he earned it. The Champion told Flair that the only way he would even think about granting a rematch would be if Flair defeated every other member of the Four Horsemen.

Magnum T.A. made his way out with a huge announcement – he told both men in the ring that Tully had a great idea; but while Flair did deserve a rematch in Magnum's opinion but he did not have a contractual leg to stand on. Magnum officially announced that Ric Flair would face Bob Orton Jr. on the next NWA pay-per-view – New York Knockout on February 18th. This announcement brought a smile to Tully's face – but Magnum wasn't finished; telling the Champion that he would announce a new number one contender later in the night.

Diamond Dallas Page (w/ Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy) vs. Cocoa Samoa

With the World Tag Team Champions cheering him on from ringside; DDP looked like a winner from the opening bell. On the flip side, Cocoa Samoa – now on his own after being brutally kicked to the curb by Gary Hart – looked like a shell of his former self. Page wrapped things up quickly with his Diamond Cutter for the upset victory.

Winner: Diamond Dallas Page at 4:14

(Grade: E+)

In-ring Interview:

Hayes grabbed a microphone as Gordy and Page dumped Samoa out of the ring; the trio bragged about the fact that the Fabulous Freebirds had been NWA World Tag Team Champions for six months and had all but cleared out the division. Hayes claimed that there were no suitable challengers left but still felt that it was necessary to lay out an open challenge to any tag team in the back that thought they could take the Champions on.

The Warrior vs. Black Bart

The high octane, face-painted Warrior made his debut by running down to the ring and making lightning fast work of the veteran Black Bart. Warrior was like a whirlwind and dropped Bart with a Gorilla Press Slam before hitting the ropes and landing a huge Splash for the three count.

Winner: The Warrior at 3:22

After the match:

Whilst the announce team and all of the fans were impressed by the Warrior's debut; Gary Hart was not. The Playboy walked down to the ring and told Warrior that running around the ring like a lunatic may excite some people but certainly not Hart. He told Warrior to get out of the ring, because his men had business to attend to. The Warrior was clearly on a high after his victory as he simply ignored Hart and continued celebrating his victory, running around ringside and all the way to the back.

Sid Vicious (w/ Gary Hart) vs. Tommy Rich

The first one of Gary Hart's men who had business to attend to was his monster Sid Vicious – who continued his dominant run and made Tommy Rich pay with a big Powerbomb.

Winner: Sid Vicious at 2:43

The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn w/ Blackjack Mulligan) vs. The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika w/ Gary Hart)

The Wild Samoans looked to continue the moment for Gary Hart; but Afa and Sika did not have as much success as the big monster. The Fabulous Ones brought their A-game after a few very tough weeks and gave the Samoans a beating. The power and size of the Samoans was no match for the speed and technical prowess that Lane & Keirn brought to the table. After a chaotic few minutes, Keirn dropped Afa on his head with an Inverted DDT to pick up the victory.

Winners: The Fabulous Ones at 7:11

In-ring Interview:

After the bell, Tara joined the Fabulous Ones in the ring and asked them about their plans for the future. Blackjack told Tara that his boys had proved tonight that form was just a temporary situation – their abilities were permanent and this victory right here proves that they are ready for a shot at the World Tag Team titles. Mulligan said that they heard what the Freebirds had to say earlier in the night – and they were putting their names in the hat for the shot at New York Knockout.

In the Interview Area:

Tony Schiavone was backstage and had caught up with Ric Flair – and the Nature Boy was still hot about last weekend's World title match. Flair told Tony that he didn't like the decision that he would have to wait at least three months for another shot at the Champion – but he knew that in the end the NWA World Heavyweight Championship would be back around his waist. When asked about the prospect of fighting each member of the Four Horsemen, Flair was looking forward to it – as he had a chance get revenge for their betrayal.

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes vs. Ken Patera (w/ Gary Hart)

After an unsuccessful challenge for the World Tag Team titles, Dusty was back where he promised he would be – in singles action. He was given the challenge of the ever-dangerous Strongman – Ken Patera, with the Playboy trying his usual tricks at ringside. But the Dream was still as good as ever, putting Patera down for the count with his Bionic Elbow.

Winner: Dusty Rhodes at 7:09

After the match:

Magnum T.A. made an unscheduled appearance at the entrance way and told the fans that it was time for his big announcement. Magnum said that it didn't take a genius to work out that Dusty Rhodes had still got it – and who else was more qualified that the American Dream to challenge for the NWA's biggest prize. Magnum stated that Dusty's performance tonight and cemented him as the new number one contender. Tully Blanchard was out before Dusty could even comment – telling both Rhodes and Magnum that this was a poor decision and that if Dusty even thought about accepting the match he would regret it. Rhodes simply told Blanchard that he would see him in New York on the 18th – Tully was furious and promised to teach him a lesson.

Bam Bam Bigelow (w/ Precious) vs. Kevin Sullivan (w/ Woman)

It wasn't long ago that Kevin Sullivan and his Army of Darkness were trying everything in their power to put Bam Bam out of commission – but Bigelow has taken it all and seems to have moved on. Bigelow was coming off of a big victory last week at WrestleWar and continued that momentum by scoring another big victory over Sullivan with a giant top-rope diving headbutt.

Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow at 9:29

In-ring Interview:

Tara was back in the ring and questioned Bigelow about his victory – and Bam Bam was happy to finally have put Sullivan behind him. But Bigelow has more important things on his mind; he tells Tara that he has proved his worth here in the NWA since he joined the promotion and feels that he is now ready for the big time. Bam Bam says it straight, he wants a World title shot and it seems like the NWA title already has a number one contender so it looks like the AWA title is locked in his sights. The Honky Tonk Man was quick to arrive on the scene and told Bigelow that if he thought he was ready then it must be true – but Bam Bam hasn't proved a thing to the AWA Champion; it's in the hands of Magnum T.A. now though.

In the Interview Area:

Tony Schiavone was with “The Enforcer” Arn Anderson and despite Tony's best efforts, Double A refused to discuss the WrestleWar main event because the past was in the past. Anderson did however want to talk about tonight and New York Knockout – he told the TV Champion Terry Taylor that Bob Orton deserved his rematch but he was otherwise engaged on February 18th. As the Horsemen is family, Anderson will happily take the match and take Taylor out instead because the TV title belonged to the Horsemen. Tonight, however, Anderson will be fighting Lex Luger – and will show Taylor's tag team partner that the Enforcer means serious business.

“The Enforcer” Arn Anderson (w/ Ole Anderson) vs. “The Total Package” Lex Luger (w/ James J. Dillon)

After his words for the TV champion, the Enforcer was quick to back them up against Luger. But the Total Package did not simply let Anderson control the match – Luger used his size and strength to get back into the match and worked over Anderson's back for much of their battle. Luger had Arn in trouble and lifted him up for the Torture Rack but the Enforcer had clearly scouted his opponent and managed to sneak out of the back door. This left Luger confused and open for Anderson to capitalise – and despite his injured back, he planted the Total Package with a Spinebuster to gain the victory.

Winner: Arn Anderson at 18:20

In the Backstage Area:

There is a commotion backstage, and we see that in one of the locker rooms. Tully Blanchard is laying the boots into a bloody Dustin Rhodes on the floor – the NWA Champion drags Dustin up to his feet before smashing his face into a locker. Blanchard throws the younger Rhodes down to the floor and gets into his face with the NWA World title in his hands – he tells Dustin to let his daddy know that he made an enemy of the wrong man by accepting a match for the NWA title.

Overall Show Grade: B-

Dusty vs Tully should be a good one; I don't really see Blanchard dropping the belt before Ric can get back to him in four month's time (which will take us to about the Bash, right?) and then sparks will definitely fly. Also liking the rise of the Freebirds here lately. I can't usually ever bring myself to push them, but they are a great group to have at the top of the heap.

It says a lot for the depth of your roster that a great wrestler like Tully, World champ and all, is not on your list of show stoppers or ring generals.

Here's hoping that you can manage to catch the same "lightning in a bottle" that Honky brought to the table with Warrior... but I'm not holding my breath on him having learned his lesson.

The roster is really quite good - I certainly got lucky in that respect. If it wasn't for the WWF having an even better roster it would show up more. Tully being out of the top 5 lists doesn't worry me - we all know what he can do. The more interesting fact is seeing Hector reaching the main event almost by accident.

As for the Warrior I doubt he'll repeat Honky's heroics but I'll give it a shot.

Dusty vs Tully should be a good one; I don't really see Blanchard dropping the belt before Ric can get back to him in four month's time (which will take us to about the Bash, right?) and then sparks will definitely fly. Also liking the rise of the Freebirds here lately. I can't usually ever bring myself to push them, but they are a great group to have at the top of the heap.

Without trying to spoil anything; Flair isn't even guaranteed a shot if he beats all three of the Horsemen - Tully very cleverly said he would think about giving him a shot. So we could be talking anywhere from May onwards; if he can defeat the other Horsemen members of course... And if Tully remains Champion. If Dusty takes the title then this all becomes null and void.

As for the Freebirds; I was skeptical about whether I could book them or not; but the addition of DDP as their manager/the third man has kept me invested and hopefully I can keep everyone invested in them as well whilst I rebuild the tag division a little - which the Crockett Cup will certainly help with.

In pre-show matches: Sid Vicious defeated Audie Hager in 2:40 (E); Jushin Liger defeated The Terminator in 4:58 (D); The Enemy defeated New Breed in 4:31 (C-).

Friday Night Showdown

February 10th, 1989

From the Worcester Centrum – Worcester, MA

Attendance: 10,000 (SOLD OUT)

In-ring Interview:

The show kicks off with the new number one contender standing in the centre of the ring; The American Dream has a microphone in hand and a serious look on his face. Dusty tells the fans that he was ready to come out here tonight to tell the world that he had one final dream and that it was now or never for him to become a four-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion. But all that changed last week, after what Tully Blanchard did to his son Dustin – the title was no longer important, this was personal. Dusty was heading to New York Knockout with one thing on his mind – making Tully pay and him suffer – if he ended the night as Champion then so be it.

In the Interview Area:

The World Tag Team Champions were backstage with Tony Schiavone; and the Freebirds were once again in a jovial mood. Hayes did most of the talking as Page messed up Tony's hair and Gordy stood looking intimidating. They had heard it through the grapevine that the “not-so” Fabulous Ones wanted a shot at their titles – and Hayes is a fair man, and because they had won last week he would do them a solid and let them lose in the big apple.

The Warrior vs. Cocoa Samoa

The high octane, high impact Warrior hit the ring for the second week in a row and absolutely tore through the down on luck Cocoa Samoa. Warrior hit power move after power move before dropping him with a military press slam – hitting the ropes, and landing a big splash for the win.

Winner: The Warrior at 1:39

After the match:

As The Warrior celebrated his victory with a victory lap around the ring – he was cut short by the arrival of Gary Hart and Jimmy Snuka. The Superfly clobbered Warrior from behind and worked over the powerhouse until he was down and out on the canvas. Hart grabbed a microphone and told the Warrior that he had been warned last week; but continued to make a mockery of the company by running around like an idiot. The Playboy had taken it upon himself, or rather upon Snuka, to teach the punk kid a lesson – Snuka would stop him once and for all on February 18th.

Hector Guerrero vs. The Iron Sheik (w/ Ivan Koloff)

As has become tradition; the Iron Sheik spent most of the early moments of this contest denouncing the USA and claiming that Iran was still number one. This didn't sit well with his opponent – and the high flying Hector Guerrero used his speed and agility to run rings around the veteran and simply left him dazed and confused. After a small fightback; Guerrero came flying from the top rope with his patented Frog Splash to seal another big victory.

Winner: Hector Guerrero at 4:48

After the match:

Unfortunately for Guerrero, the Russian Bear was still at ringside with the Sheik – and he entered the ring after the bell with his thick Russian Chain in his hands. Guerrero didn't see it coming; but the chain was whipped violently into the small of his back repeatedly until the Mexican-American could no longer stand. Koloff continued the assault dragged the limp body of Guerrero to his feet and locked in his bearhug until Guerrero passed out from the pain. The Sheik had recovered and had a microphone announcing that Koloff would destroy Guerrero at New York Knockout in the feared Russian Chain match.

The Von Erichs (Kerry & Kevin Von Erich) vs. The Master of Pain (Blackblood & The Lord of Pain)

The Texan brothers were well and truly back in the hunt for Tag Team gold; and they seemed to be building a head of steam as we begin the road to the Crockett Cup – but this contest was not as straight forward as it looked on paper. Kerry and Kevin had to overcame the size, and the mean streak of the Masters of Pain – but overcome it they did as Kerry put the Lord of Pain down with his deadly Iron Claw.

Winners: The Von Erichs at 6:05

In-ring Interview:

Tara entered the ring to interview the victorious duo; and the brothers had one thing on their minds – gold. Kerry commented that they had seemingly missed the boat in challenging for the World Tag titles – but noted that the US Tag titles weren't slated to be defended at New York Knockout. Kevin then had the idea, that it should be the Von Erichs who faced off against the North-South Connection and then we would have new Champions. Adonis and Murdoch were clearly looking for a fight as they accepted and ran down to the ring to brawl with their new challengers. The four men threw everything but the kitchen sink at each other until officials hit the ring and pulled the two teams apart.

Honky Tonk Man vs. Dynamite Kid (w/ Lou Albano)

After being challenged last week; the AWA Champion was fighting like he had something to prove as he faced the ultra-competitive high risk Dynamite Kid. The British star gave Honky a run for his money, but the Greatest AWA Champion of All-Time proved too strong – with the Shake, Rattle and Roll wrapping things up for Honky.

Winner: Honky Tonk Man at 11:20

After the match:

With the Champion over-zealously celebrating his victory; Bam Bam Bigelow stormed down to the ring to stop him in his tracks. The big man caught Honky by surprise, with the Champion falling over and quickly scurrying out of the ring. As Bigelow invited Honky back in for a fight – Magnum T.A. announced his presence at the entrance way. Magnum told Honky that whilst Bigelow may not have impressed the AWA Champion he had impressed the NWA board – and that's why in eight days Bam Bam would be challenging for the AWA title. Honky was furious and kicked up a fuss at ringside – but Bigelow simply smiled and welcomed the opportunity.

In the Interview Area:

Tony Schiavone was standing by backstage with the NWA World Champion – Tully Blanchard. The champion simply ignored Schiavone's questions as he was too busy laughing about his attack on Dustin Rhodes last week. Blanchard told Tony that he needed to pass the message on to Dusty that Tully hadn't made things personal – they were always personal, right from the start. Blanchard believed that the only reason Dusty Rhodes, who he referred to as well past his sell-by date, had been given a shot was because of his association with Magnum T.A. Tully told Rhodes that he was the NWA Champion and was well and truly at the peak of his abilities – when Rhodes stepped into the ring with him it wouldn't just be his final dream, it could easily be his final match.

The Four Horsemen (Arn Anderson, Bob Orton Jr. & Barry Windham w/ Ole Anderson) vs. Totally Fantastic (Terry Taylor & Lex Luger w/ James J. Dillon) & Kendall Windham (w/ Blackjack Mulligan)

With six men inside the ring and another three outside – this match was destined to be chaos from the opening bell. The Horsemen were clearly working as a well oiled unit; but the tag team experience that Taylor and Luger had been building combined with the fiery enthusiasm of the younger Windham proved to be a good match. Unsurprisingly the match broke down before long, but the Horsemen kept their cool and isolated Kendall – with an Arn Anderson Spinebuster proving the final blow.

Winners: The Four Horsemen at 12:01

After the match:

With the Horsemen declared winners, the three men decided that the best way to celebrate would be to attack their opponents with steel chairs. Luger and Taylor were taken down outside the ring allowing the three members of the Horsemen to focus on Kendall in the ring. As the younger Windham took several shots – he was saved by the arrival of the “Nature Boy” Ric Flair. The former NWA Champion rushed the ring and cleared house on the Horsemen – he sent Arn and Barry out of the ring before taking the chair from Orton. Flair swung wildly, but the Cowboy was pulled from the ring by his partners – the two men would clash in just eight days.

After tending to his youngest son and thanking Ric Flair for his assistance – Blackjack Mulligan grabbed a microphone and addressed his elder son Barry. Mulligan told Barry that Kendall was just as resilient and stubborn as his father and so at New York Knockout, live on pay-per-view – his two sons would clash head-to-head in the centre of the ring; may the best brother win.

“The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko vs. “The Real American Hero” Sgt. Slaughter

In our main event, two of the NWA's best went head-to-head with both men looking for a victory to put them higher in the ranks. Zbyszko used his technical prowess to control early, but the mean and nasty Slaughter used decidedly underhand tactics to get himself back into the match – a timely eye gouge turning the whole tide of the match. Larry was difficult to put away; but after 16 minutes and Slaughter's relentless power game, combined with trash talk, left Zbyszko easy pickings – with the Cobra Clutch wrapping the match up nicely for the self-proclaimed Real American Hero.

Winner: Sgt. Slaughter at 16:12

After the match:

No sooner had Slaughter been declared the winner; the US Champion had rushed down to the ring. Muraco went straight for Slaughter and the pair began swinging for the fences. The brawl continued where they left off at WrestleWar and spilled out of the ring – and only stopped once officials and referees managed to pull them apart. This brought out Magnum T.A. to end the show; announcing that Muraco and Slaughter would meet again at New York Knockout with the US title on the line – but this time it would be a Falls Count Anywhere match; no disqualifications, no count-outs, there must be a winner.

Overall Show Grade: B-

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i304/Anderz_Baz/JCP/newyorkknockout_zpsxx2e2axu.jpg

NWA NEW YORK KNOCKOUT

OFFICAL FAN SCORECARD

Tully Blanchard © vs. "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Honky Tonk Man © vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Falls Count Anywhere Match for the NWA United States Heavyweight Championship

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. "Cowboy" Bob Orton Jr.

The Fabulous Freebirds © (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy) vs. The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)

"Mr. Fantastic" Terry Taylor © vs. "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson

Russian Chain Match

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff vs. Hector Guerrero

North-South Connection © (Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch) vs. The Von Erichs (Kerry & Kevin Von Erich)

Barry Windham vs. Kendall Windham

The Warrior vs. "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka

Bonus Questions:

1. Which match was the best match on the show?

2. Which match was the worst match on the show?

3. Will we hear from either Mr. T or Harley Race on the show?

4. How many titles will change hands?

Dusty is a good challenger but I doubt he gets the belt off from Tully.

Tough challenge but again, I do believe that champion keeps the belt.

Win over recent AWA World Heavyweight Championship Zbyszko was quite an impressive performance for Slaughter and made me believe that he actually will get the belt here.

I think that Flair and Tully are going to clash soon again, and that means Flair likely will get past Orton who I see as bit of a "weak link" (not that he has looked weak at all but compared to he´s team mates his the one I trust least in terms of getting high impact wins) in the Horseman group.

The Fabulous Freebirds © (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy) vs. The Fabulous Ones (Stan Lane & Steve Keirn)

Champs retain here too.

I wish that Arn would win but I doubt it actually happens.

Russian Chain Match

It´s bit of a coin flip to me but guess I might as well go with Koloff since it´s pretty much his match.

North-South Connection © (Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch) vs. The Von Erichs (Kerry & Kevin Von Erich)

And yet again, I´m picking champs to retain.

Surely Barry is higher on pecking order?

If he´s two matches are anything to judge from, Warrior seems to be getting a push and Snuka is certainly beatable opponent.

Bonus Questions:

1. Which match was the best match on the show? "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair vs. "Cowboy" Bob Orton Jr.

I´m pretty horrible at these but guess I will put my money behind Flair.

2. Which match was the worst match on the show? The Warrior vs. "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka

I´m not trusting Warrior at all.

3. Will we hear from either Mr. T or Harley Race on the show? Yes

4. How many titles will change hands? 1

Russian Chain Match

Bonus Questions:

1. Which match was the best match on the show? Blanchard vs Rhodes

2. Which match was the worst match on the show? Koloff vs Guerrero

3. Will we hear from either Mr. T or Harley Race on the show? Yes

Russian Chain Match

Bonus Questions:

1. Which match was the best match on the show?

Blanchard/Rhodes

2. Which match was the worst match on the show?

Barry Windham/Kendall Windham

3. Will we hear from either Mr. T or Harley Race on the show?

Both

4. How many titles will change hands?

Two

Good show again. I'm anticipating each monthly event more than the last one. Just wondering though, are you gonna stick with the stipulations that Ritchardo placed on the Von Erichs last year? I forget a lot of things in general, but without going back to check, I'm pretty sure when they lost to the Freebirds, the rule was they're not allowed to challenge for the belts again as long as the 'Birds have them. I know it's wrestling. And I don't really care either way. I was just curious if that's why they've been low key for the last few months before now challenging for the US tag belts. KUTGW

Archived