TEW13 on Mac OS X Tutorial (wine)

*NOTE: Tutorial also works for TEW 2016 and just about any GDS game*

Hey Guys.

I've been trying for a long time to get TEW working on my mac. Huge thanks to Judoku1819, from the WMMA4 forums, who posted this guide.

I've used TEW on Bootcamp and Parallels but Wine is easily the best and most convenient method.

So without further idea here is my adapted version of Judoku1819's guide.

What You'll Need

• Wineskin Winery (link)
  • TEW 13 Setup .exe
  • TEW 13 Patch 1.2 .exe (optional)

Step 1

When you open Wineskin Winery you will need to install an engine and update the wrapper version.

To install the engine click the + button, next to the text "New Engine(s)" available, and chose the most recent one (the engine used for this tutorial is WS9Wine1.7.31).

To update the wrapper simply click update. (This may not be necessary)

Step 2

Hit the create new blank wrapper button and enter the name for the app. TEW 2013 is what I went with. This process will take a couple minutes and it is likely that you will be asked to install "Gecko" and "Mono". Hit yes and install these both as they are very important.

Step 3

Wineskin Winery will have opened up the location of the wrapper in finder. Open it up.

You'll see a screen with 4 buttons. Choose "Advanced".

Then choose the "Tools" button at the top of the page and hit "Winetricks".

Step 4

You'll need to run 5 winetricks and it is important you do these one by one. It is also important that you do not alter the install location of any of these.

Firstly, search for "ie6". It is found under dll's. Select the tick box and hit run. Wineskin will display a message with a URL as well as opening a finder window. Download the file from the url and place it in the location that wineskin opened in finder. Once again search for "ie6", select the tick box and hit run. A window will come up if done correctly. Follow the prompts and install ie6. After installed it will prompt you to reboot but as we are just installing winetricks there is no need.

Secondly, search for "vb6run". Again it is under dll's. Select the tick box and hit run. This installation is quick and requires you to do nothing.

Thirdly, search for "jet40". Once again it is under dll's. Select the tick box and hit run. The installation is similar to ie6. Follow the provided link, download the file and place it into the finder window that Wineskin opened. After you've done this search for "jet40" again, select the tick box and run it. A window will pop up. Follow the prompts to install.

Fourthly, search for "native_oleaut32". This time it is under the "settings" drop down. Select the tick box and hit run. This is nice and simple and will complete by itself.

Finally, search for "allfonts". This time it'll be under fonts. It will take a minute or so but you don't need to do anything.

Once that has completed close winetricks and choose "configuration" from the top of the page.

Step 5

Now we get to the fun part. Hit the "Install Software" button and install TEW as normal. A prompt will come up asking you to chose the startup exe. Select "TEW2013.exe".

When it has installed buy your elicense or copy it across from the computer that you have TEW installed. (I'm not sure on the copyright laws. I'm assuming this is fine, as you have already bought the game, but if not can a mod correct this. DON'T PIRATE, support the developer).

To copy the elicense across put it on a USB from the Program Files (x86)>GDS>TEW2013 or Program Files>GDS>TEW2013 folder on your original computer. I think the file is called elicense40.dll or something like that. Put the USB into your Mac, copy the file and click on finder. Click on the "GO" menu in the toolbar and choose computer. From there select "Macintosh HD" and the click on User>Applications (this is not the default applications folder. I strongly recommend making an alias (shortcut) and putting in on your desktop). Select Wineskin and then Right-Click on TEW13 and chose "Show Package Content". Select the "Drive C" Alias and go into Program Files>GDS>TEW2013 and paste in there. Again, I strongly suggest making an alias of the TEW2013 folder in program files and putting in on your desktop.

When this is done close Wineskin Winery and the new Mac TEW 13 app if it is opened.

Step 6 (Optional)

Copy the patch 1.2 TEW2013.exe that you downloaded earlier.

Navigate to the TEW2013 folder (see step 5 to work out how to find it).

Paste the file in here. A prompt will come up. To avoid bugs I recommend choosing "Keep Both Files".

Rename the original file "TEW2013_old.exe" or something similar. Rename the new file (that is called "TEW2013 copy.exe") to "TEW2013".

And now you're done. Congrats. Enjoy TEW on Mac. If any problems arise feel free to reply and I'll do my best to help you.

Note:

• To install mods navigate to the directory in step 5 and proceed as normal.
  • One known issue is the ovsBooleanControl.ocx error AKA Runtime Error 339. This occurs when clicking on certain buttons. If this happens to you download the file from here. Copy this file into User>Applications>Wineskin>TEW 13 (Right click, show package content)>Drive C>Windows>System 32.
  • If that doesn't fix the problem the fix that worked for me (amusingly) was to install the WMMA4 Demo (download). Simply go to User>Applications>Wineskin>TEW 13 (right click, show package contet) and open Wineskin.app. Then hit install software and select the WMMA4_TRIAL.exe file and install as before. This time, once installed, don't change the startup exe.

• 4 weeks later...
Fantastic tutorial.... but... I went ahead downloaded the WMMA4 Demo... and I'm still getting the 'ovsBooleanControl.ocx error AKA Runtime Error 339' a whole lot.

....any ideas?

Did you download the ovsBooleanControl.ocx file and copy it into the system32 folder?

EDIT:

If that doesn't work this is the solution from Judoku1819 (it didn't work for me but I hope you have more luck)

6) Once completed the game should open and work perfectly. There is one minor issue that sometimes occurs due to "tick boxes" in the game (this is known as the infamous "ovsbooleancontrols error"). In order to fix this go to Finder and put "ovs" into the search bar. A file will appear that is named "ovs..." (the ... represent some random letters/symbols). Simply right-click this file, click get info, and rename it: ovsbooleancontrols.ocx

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="alex226" data-cite="alex226" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Did you download the ovsBooleanControl.ocx file and copy it into the system32 folder?<p> </p><p> EDIT:</p><p> If that doesn't work this is the solution from Judoku1819 (it didn't work for me but I hope you have more luck)</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Actually... that SEEMED to do the trick.</p><p> </p><p> MANY THANKS!</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

<p>Hi everyone,</p><p> </p><p>

The above has been amazingly helpful and worked to perfection. I doubt this is the best thread to post in, but I am curious: do you know if the above Winskin method would work for other GDS games, for example CBH? Or is it specific to TEW in terms of which winetricks you use, etc.?</p><p> </p><p>

If it is different, could you give some insight on how you discovered to do this? I'm desperate to play CBH on my macbook, but am not sure where to start</p><p> </p><p>

Thanks,</p><p> </p><p>

Ethan</p>

• 9 months later...

Hey guys! Nice to see that my wine tutorial could help. I just found this one and was going to give it a try to see which I prefer. However, when I attempt to do the ie6 and jet40 steps they seem to be giving me issues.

In the case of ie6 it just seems to install. (Finder window does not open up and I do not get linked to a site to download anything)

With jet40 I get the link and go to my "downloads" to install it but I have no idea where it installs to and don't know whats the file is called. (Its said mdac_*something* but when I did a finder search it never came up)

Does anyone know what the problem here might be?

<p>Another alternative for people having issues are CrossOver, some instructions below I've posted before:</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MrCreative" data-cite="MrCreative" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Also works fine in CrossOver, see the following (this should also work for Linux too): <p> </p><p> Create a WinXP Bottle.</p><p> </p><p> Install the following from the Library List of software (some of these may not be needed but I installed them anyway as they may be useful for other stuff): </p><p> </p><p> Runtime Support Components: </p><p> Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0</p><p> Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Service Pack 6 runtime</p><p> Microsoft JET 4.0 Service Pack 8</p><p> </p><p> Community Supported Applications:</p><p> Microsoft Visual C++ 4.0 Redistributable</p><p> Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (10.0) Redistributable</p><p> </p><p> Then, install TEW and enter your Order ID for the game if you bought it, or just the demo to try it out</p><p> </p><p> To install TEW, you choose:</p><p> </p><p> "Other Application" </p><p> </p><p> and choose the installer.exe manually.</p><p> </p><p> You'll get a administrator warning but this won't apply as you're running under XP effectively.</p><p> </p><p> If you are using WMWare or Parallels for Mac then it is just like installing TEW on a Windows machine, no special instructions needed.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> There is also 'Play on Mac', which is another free, Wine based alternative people may find easier to set up TEW with.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MrCreative" data-cite="MrCreative" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38906" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Link: <a href="https://www.playonmac.com/en/" rel="external nofollow">https://www.playonmac.com/en/</a><p> </p><p> I haven't used it personally for TEW as I've used paid alternatives in the past, but have used this for EHM which works fairly easily. I play TEW on Windows now</p><p> </p><p> If you need instructions via this, let me know and I'll give it a go.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Okay, so far so good. It seems to be a really good option if I can get it running. I just started installing the components. ie6 worked perfect (and much easier than the other wine methods I've used). vb6run is always easy. However, there is no jet40 component.. (or ms jet 4.0). How did you work-around this?</p>

<p>Instructions in my quoted post were for CrossOver, as it's still Wine based you should still find the same components if not similar. </p><p> </p><p>

If I get time later I'll try TEW through PlayonMac and give some instructions in this thread too.</p><p> </p><p>

Easiest option above all is to use a Windows Licence with Parallels/VMWare/BootCamp to play the game, though it is the most expensive.</p>

Oh, I miss-read that. I don't really like the virtual machines and bootcamp cause the price isn't really worth it when you can make it work for free using wine. I have working versions of TEW, WMMA, and EWR on my mac now using wine programs. Im just always looking for better and easier ways. This program seems really good. It just (unless I'm missing something) doesn't have the Jet 4.0 component (or "wine trick" that usually needs installed to operate GDS games.

I used this a while back and was able to get TEW up and running quickly. I'm wondering if we could use the same tutorial to run TEW 2016. I'm fairly certain Adam used the same programming language during development.

Was a new tutorial developed upon TEW 2013's release? Or were we able to re-use the same winetricks from TEW 2010?

If not, would fellow MAC Gamers be interested in collaborating to find a working solution after release? I'm looking forward to TEW 2016 more than, well, really any release in my lifetime -- Adam has reinvented TEW and implemented features many thought impossible.

• 1 month later...

I feel like an idiot. I don't know how to install my mod on Mac with my old save game. The tutorial says to navigate to the location in step 5. I'm... not sure what that means. I can get to the folder where the icon is to open TEW 2013 but I'm not sure what to do from there? Just copy the folders there?

EDIT: Nevermind. I AM an idiot. The tutorial is PERFECTLY clear. Thank you so much.

So What's the verdict? Can this be used on TEW '16? Can it updated a little so that it runs TEW '16?

Without this extremely awesome guide I never would've been able to play this shit

It should work fine, but I'll test it later today. Glad you enjoyed the guide.

• 2 weeks later...

So I used the Wine step-by-step guide and it worked a charm! Thanks so much!

I do have one question - whenever I search for a wrestler by name in any area of the game - on my roster, looking at picture files, in the editor - it no longer has the predictive text (as in, if I'm searching for Tommy Cornell, when I type the letter "T" it takes me to the wrestlers beginning with T. Then when I type "O" it scrolls down to the "To" section.) Instead, it resets with each letter - it'll go to the T section of names, then the O section.

I posted this question in the small questions thread and the folks there thought it might be to do with the operating system. I know us Mac users are using a different OS altogether, but is everyone having the same issue on Mac?

Sorry if this is a confusing post!

Archived