Help Understanding Popularity and Momentum

No way anyone other than Cena or Lesnar have A pop. I don't watch wrestling and haven't watched in ages, but that's just crazy. CM Punk was a bigger draw than Bryan for sure, but not even Punk ever reached A pop. No upper midcarder in WWE would even be close to B pop, that is main event popularity.

For somebody who has not watched in ages here is a refresher...

http://watchwrestling.ch/video/watch-wwe-raw-33015/

I really would not consider Dolph Ziggler an upper midcarder. I say he is definitely Main Eventing TV and is pretty over! Any body that could outsell Cena on merchandising 2013 has to be an A pop which Punk successfully did before turning heel.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's been booked well for WWE's product. Hardcore WWE fans (or maybe just IWC) just don't like the current product.

It's more the current fans that don't agree with how he's been booked, but he's certainly the hottest wrestler at the moment, but not as popular a cena.

The product as a whole though I wouldn't say is as popular as it was that's why I'd agree with him been around a B

Well that does bring up another discussion the product, because from watching the show terms it's not as popular as it was but if you look at the brand (which isn't part of the game) it would be A*

It depends on how the other workers on the roster are rated, he can push at upper mid card at C if nothing was overrated. a C would actually be fine as it translate into Recognizable when you use the filters in TEW which is really a stretch for him TBH. I personally would give him a C- which translates between Regional Star & Recognizable. His momentum would be at a nice level since he's always in good matches and angles.

What filters? I couldn't find them in the Help file, or in the game.

What filters? I couldn't find them in the Help file, or in the game.

when you search for workers in game. You can set the filters to look for popularity levels.

It says "look for workers that are etc"

the options are

Icon (A- to A+)

Huge Star (B+ to A-)

Star (B- to B+)

Draw (C+ to B-)

Well Known (C to C+)

Recognizable (C- to C)

Regional Star (D-to C-)

Regional Level (E- to D-)

Unknown (F- to E-)

I did watch a short clip of Daniel Bryan on Raw out of curiosity. He did seem to get great pops from the crowd. I know this is going way off-topic by now, but would it be possible to replicate the Bryan situation in-game? What I mean is, it seems as though he is involved in some decent storylines and (using in-game terms) his recent fortunes seem great as well as his momentum. Do you guys believe the pop (=crowd reaction) is due to his popularity only (which you guys seem to rate at B or higher) or a combined effort of his exceptional momentum and great popularity?

I'm asking because I could issue the same question about Punk. He had hot storylines, momentum and recent fortunes, but I believe I read somewhere in the internet that even in his WWE title reign he didn't draw as well as expected. Granted it's never as simple as just looking at figures. Even with Punk outselling Cena in merch (which in my opinion doesn't mean he was necessarily more popular/bigger draw than Cena, just that he was way more interesting what with all the pipe-bomb stuff going on) I believe he was upset about not being the top dog and even attributed to him leaving the promotion (alongside physical health worries).

In short, would it be plausible in your opinion, for example, to set Bryan at B- pop, A/A* momentum and excellent recent fortunes, and him still getting as big a pop in-game?

when you search for workers in game. You can set the filters to look for popularity levels.

It says "look for workers that are etc"

the options are

Icon (A- to A+)

Huge Star (B+ to A-)

Star (B- to B+)

Draw (C+ to B-)

Well Known (C to C+)

Recognizable (C- to C)

Regional Star (D-to C-)

Unknown (F- to E-)

Right! Thank you!

I did watch a short clip of Daniel Bryan on Raw out of curiosity. He did seem to get great pops from the crowd. I know this is going way off-topic by now, but would it be possible to replicate the Bryan situation in-game? What I mean is, it seems as though he is involved in some decent storylines and (using in-game terms) his recent fortunes seem great as well as his momentum. Do you guys believe the pop (=crowd reaction) is due to his popularity only (which you guys seem to rate at B or higher) or a combined effort of his exceptional momentum and great popularity?

I'm asking because I could issue the same question about Punk. He had hot storylines, momentum and recent fortunes, but I believe I read somewhere in the internet that even in his WWE title reign he didn't draw as well as expected. Granted it's never as simple as just looking at figures. Even with Punk outselling Cena in merch (which in my opinion doesn't mean he was necessarily more popular/bigger draw than Cena, just that he was way more interesting what with all the pipe-bomb stuff going on) I believe he was upset about not being the top dog and even attributed to him leaving the promotion (alongside physical health worries).

In short, would it be plausible in your opinion, for example, to set Bryan at B- pop, A/A* momentum and excellent recent fortunes, and him still getting as big a pop in-game?

Yes the game has so many bonuses that it is really unnecessary to overrate someone in stats.

Also, what both of those guys also have in common is low star quality which will would put a cap on pop gains no matter how much success they are having.

I'd agree with that, but win/lose or draw Bryan seems to have been unmovable from A* momentum for a long period of time. He's more popular with the fans because of how they think he should be pushed rather than how is pushed, a loss wouldn't make a difference it would just make the fans more into him.

It actually feels like the WWE are doing a reality storyline where Bryan is the face and Wwe is the heel

Icon (A- to A+)

Huge Star (B+ to A-)

Star (B- to B+)

Draw (C+ to B-)

Well Known (C to C+)

Recognizable (C- to C)

Regional Star (D-to C-)

Unknown (F- to E-)

Based on these then, how could Daniel Bryan be a B-? He is definitely a huge star at this point. He has headlined a Mania, is massively over and is up there in merch revenue. Dolph for that matter could be considered a star. But a high draw is at least reasonable.

I'd say Bryan has low momentum. He's not being booked as a big deal right now. He's the midcard champion in midcard matches with no mic time. Momentum is based on booking, right? He's booking has been really weak ever since returning in January. Going by common sense, it's popularity that he has, and momentum that he lacks.

Based on these then, how could Daniel Bryan be a B-? He is definitely a huge star at this point. He has headlined a Mania, is massively over and is up there in merch revenue. Dolph for that matter could be considered a star. But a high draw is at least reasonable.

I think if you consider where the WWE are now, the huge star or icons are no longer active or rarely appear, cena and Brock the only 2 who Id say are huge stars, maybe punk before he left just.

Ziggler I wouldn't really like to say. I don't particularly see too much of him. He seems to be another that's more popular with the fans than with the booking team

I'm almost glad that Adam has not released a RW mod because it would spur a huge debate like so. Pop is too subjective of a matter when it comes to grades.

we would have to go with what he put because he knows how it's meant to be. Then we could edit our own games with what we thought was wrong lol

WWE isn't as popular as it was. A Draw? sure he is but a huge star I doubt. I would say Cena caps at huge Star.

FWIW Miz headlined Mania Once also...

Mania ME was pushed as Orton vs Batista with the possibility of DB being in the match.

I'd say Bryan has low momentum. He's not being booked as a big deal right now. He's the midcard champion in midcard matches with no mic time. Momentum is based on booking, right? He's booking has been really weak ever since returning in January. Going by common sense, it's popularity that he has, and momentum that he lacks.

He just came back from injury, before the injury he was booked right, since then he lost the rumble but that is pretty much it. he's been in great matches since he returned. He has losses but thats recent fortunes which is not bad considering he just went over in a good match.

as for him carrying the IC title, they are trying to make that back into a workers title and he's the perfect candidate for it. They wouldn't put that belt on a guy with poor momentum if they are trying to restore the prestige.

sorry for triple post! lol

edit also hardcore fans might cheer for him because they want him in Cena's spot but WWE has done a good job of getting him over with the casuals (Under dog booking and the emphasis on yes chants helped). If any of the Balor, Owens, Zayne made their debut they would be massively over with the hardcore crowd but does that mean we should bump their popularity up to ME levels?

lol yea just like every sports game ever created.

Yeah I do this on every football (soccer to most of you) game ive ever played.

But that's what annoys me about Wwe games now. They've caught onto it and have the cheek to charge us for it.

I also do it on every mod I play on tew. Having just found out (4 month into the game of a 91 mod) the undertaker is only set to good potential, I can me going into the editor quite often as I play throught the game lol

WWE isn't as popular as it was. A Draw? sure he is but a huge star I doubt. I would say Cena caps at huge Star.

FWIW Miz headlined Mania Once also...

Mania ME was pushed as Orton vs Batista with the possibility of DB being in the match.

The wrestling industry, and thus most real world mods still see the WWE as the standard bearer. Whether they are as popular as they were in the past (Which in game terms could be blames by a bad industry rating), they are till the A company. Other promotions are rated relative to the E's popularity.

And yeah, the Miz headlined a Mania, but nobody hijacked the Rumble two years in a row because of him, or cancelled their Network subscription in protest. Bryan's Mania moment also isn't regarded as the worst in the modern era. The crowds are unanimously behind him, smarks, kids and most casual viewers. This level of unity behind a wrestler has not been seen since Austin. Rock even heard boos during his heyday. Don't get me wrong, Bryan is no Austin or Rock, but he is without a doubt a "huge star." People pay to see him, and are angry when he loses.

He just came back from injury, before the injury he was booked right, since then he lost the rumble but that is pretty much it. he's been in great matches since he returned. He has losses but thats recent fortunes which is not bad considering he just went over in a good match.

as for him carrying the IC title, they are trying to make that back into a workers title and he's the perfect candidate for it. They wouldn't put that belt on a guy with poor momentum if they are trying to restore the prestige.

sorry for triple post! lol

edit also hardcore fans might cheer for him because they want him in Cena's spot but WWE has done a good job of getting him over with the casuals. If any of the Balor, Owens, Zayne made their debut they would be massively over with the hardcore crowd but does that mean we should bump their popularity up to ME levels?

I don't know how to put this, but I actually have no interest in Daniel Bryan lol

The wrestling industry, and thus most real world mods still see the WWE as the standard bearer. Whether they are as popular as they were in the past (Which in game terms could be blames by a bad industry rating), they are till the A company. Other promotions are rated relative to the E's popularity.

And yeah, the Miz headlined a Mania, but nobody hijacked the Rumble two years in a row because of him, or cancelled their Network subscription in protest. Bryan's Mania moment also isn't regarded as the worst in the modern era. The crowds are unanimously behind him, smarks, kids and most casual viewers. This level of unity behind a wrestler has not been seen since Austin. Rock even heard boos during his heyday. Don't get me wrong, Bryan is no Austin or Rock, but he is without a doubt a "huge star." People pay to see him, and are angry when he loses.

And because of the industry hit they would lose popularity and money (In TEW mechanics). The industry hasn't been the same in almost 20 years so I doubt WWE is still a A company now in 2015.

Not to mention it doesn't take 20 years in TEW to see the industry go from rock bottom to a all time high so it wouldn't be realistic to set a real word mod to have poor industry but rate a WWE at its highest potential. With the way the game works, RAW will be selling out Football stadiums in year 2 of the save lol.

And because of the industry hit they would lose popularity and money. The industry hasn't been the same in almost 20 years so I doubt WWE is still a A company now in 2015.

They wouldn't necessarily lose popularity. Not directly at least. This would mostly mean they lose attendance numbers, which they have. But as far as wrestling companies go. They are the number one show in town. You ask any person on the streets to name a wrestling company 99.9 percent would name the WWE. Whether they actively watch is another story.

The point I'm trying to make though is that certain wrestlers still fit Adam's criteria of popularity. Just based on the rating names alone. Heck, I'd call Bret a huge star or even a borderline icon during his hey day. And this was during the WWE's darkest period.

They wouldn't necessarily lose popularity. Not directly at least. This would mostly mean they lose attendance numbers, which they have. But as far as wrestling companies go. They are the number one show in town. You ask any person on the streets to name a wrestling company 99.9 percent would name the WWE. Whether they actively watch is another story.

The point I'm trying to make though is that certain wrestlers still fit Adam's criteria of popularity. Just based on the rating names alone. Heck, I'd call Bret a huge star or even a borderline icon during his hey day. And this was during the WWE's darkest period.

well yea, depending on the way a person has the game world setup (my examples are using the C-Verse) a huge Star could be someone who headlines a company that brings in 8,000 or 80,000 in attendance. So it also depends how a mod was set up.

The naming can still be the same but have different outcomes.

With the Default C- Verse game world, WWE as a B rated company brings in about 15,000 in attendance for RAW which is spot on. For balancing reason, not many guys should be above that in popularity.

Bret for me in his hey day would be more popular than any one active right now. Brock lesnar and cena coming close.

I think punk and Bryan are way off him. But maybe that's just me

This is exactly what I was referring to with my comment about TEW not being able to recreate some of the current real world dynamics.

The Bryan situation is kinda similar to the Punk situation in that they are getting serious crowd reactions yet not really being given an opportunity to "be the guy" and actually draw. Based on Ryland's explanation, the crowd reaction should be enough to garner them higher popularity, yet arguements can be made that the popularity should be attenuated. But even high momentum doesnt' really account for the reaction.

I don't think that having him at a lower popularity in-game really works. In reality, the returning Bryan could have been put into a feud with Lesanar and it would have been a legit main event feud for WM. It didn't matter if the return was done with a ton of momentum or the storyline was hot, the fans would have accepted it. But in game, at B- popularity, he would be insufficiently popular to headline an event as big as WM.

Its also not really possible to create a dynamic like that of John Cena, who is undeniably popular and considered a draw, yet he splits the fans in an absolute and consistent manner.

Archived