NWA 1987: This is Where We Wrestle

Totally agree with horseman4lyfe; you are nailing this time period exactly. Looks like the Crockett Cup is shaping up to be pretty interesting...

I'm particularly loving Cornette and the Midnight Express in this diary so far. They were always one of my favorites and you're positioning them as major players and their feud with Garvins as a hot angle. I like it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another amazing show. You are really nailing this time period. Can't wait to see what all teams are in the Crockett cup.

Totally agree with horseman4lyfe; you are nailing this time period exactly. Looks like the Crockett Cup is shaping up to be pretty interesting...

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm glad you're enjoying the ride so far. I am looking forward to getting to the Crockett Cup as well. Hopefully having a big show in Great Lakes followed by another big show in Tri-State helps with getting me to PPV.

Flair vs Windham should be a great match. I always thought Barry deserved at least 1 title run as the Nwa World Champ.

Barry and Flair's first match did very well for me and was actually really fun to write-up. I'm looking forward to having those guys hook up again with even more intensity.

Barry is def. champion caliber and anything is possible...

I'm particularly loving Cornette and the Midnight Express in this diary so far. They were always one of my favorites and you're positioning them as major players and their feud with Garvins as a hot angle. I like it.

The Midnights are so money and Cornette is fun to write for! I hear his voice in my head probably clearer than anyone else on my roster. I'm glad you feel like they're major players. I think their feuds with the Garvins have the second most heat of all my storylines (with Crocket Cup being number 1 and Flair/Windham being number 3!).

Anywho, I was also curious to know how people felt about Dirt Sheet info (contracts/discipline/other promotions/general game world info)? So far I have kept it 100% kayfabe, but I'm curious to know what you guys would like to hear about...

Lastly the next episode of WCW is booked and outlined. I should have it up tomorrow the latest.

Call me crazy, but I think it may be better to just keep full kayfabe. At least for a while; not many people would have access to that kind of information in 1987. If this game were to last into the 90s, then maybe we could start seeing a Meltzer newsletter or something.

I'm inclined to agree with Beejus here. I'm enjoying the presentation more or less as is and don't think you need to bog it down with extra unnecessary info. Sometimes I think people give too much backstage information and ruin their own surprises. In this era guys would regularly come and go from the promotion and nothing was ever said about it.

Thanks for the feedback Beejus and RingRider. I guess I'll hold off on backstage news for the time being. Please let me know if anyone has any questions about the goings-on in the game world at any time however--I'm always open to change. :)

Saturday March 28, 1987

VA Richmond Arena (Mid Atlantic)

5,000 fans on hand (Sell Out)

Announce Team: Bob Caudle, Tony Schiavone and David Crockett

Dark:

Mike Rotundo defeated Black Bart in 8:05 by pinfall. (50)

Live:

The MOD Squad vs. Arn Anderson & Lex Luger w/JJ Dillon

The husky, brawling style of the motorcycling police officers, Spike and Basher, were not much a match for the technical expertise of Arn Anderson and raw power and potential of Lex Luger in this contest. Arn was able to isolate Basher from his partner and the Horsemen used systematic tags and double-team maneuvers to dismantle him rather efficiently. The match came to it’s inevitable conclusion when Arn slapped Basher down the mat with his patented Spinebuster for the pin.

Victors: Anderson & Luger via pinfall.

Time: 7:49

Referee: Earl Hebner

Rating: 53

At the podium with David Crockett:

Following the contest, James J. Dillon led his men to the podium where David Crockett was standing by. Dillon says that the Horsemen are ready for the Crockett Cup and it’s ridiculous that Ric Flair is unable to compete for the million dollar purse!

But in the end, it won’t matter. He has in his possession a signed document guaranteeing the Horsemen one of the highly coveted first-round byes. So, now it’s the rest of NWA who have to wonder and prepare for any possible combination of Blanchard, Anderson and Luger that Dillon decides to roll out in Chicago.

Arn Anderson closes out the interview saying he heard what his cousin Ole had to say in his interview last week. In Arn’s opinion, it's not what Ole did with the Horsemen that’s marred the Anderson name, but rather what Ole’s doing right now..coming out here to grovel to Thunderbolt Patterson? That’s not the older cousin that Arn looked up to since they were kids and maybe it’s Arn’s job to remind Ole where he came from...

Time: 4 minutes

Rating: 71

Ron Simmons vs. Tommy Angel

The second contest of the evening was another one-sided affair featuring the former Florida-State Seminole standout, Ron Simmons, illustrate his natural athleticism and toughness. Simmons easily took care of young Tommy Angel with a series of powermoves highlighted by a big press slam, vertical suplex and running splash in the corner.

As the action in the ring progressed, the commentary team discussed Simmons impressive showing the 20-man Battle Royal that took place in the Nashville Auditorium. They make a point to discuss that although Simmons missed the $5,000 purse, he left a mark on Kevin Sullivan following the match.

Just as the commentary team summed up Simmons showing in March, he ran over Tommy Angel following a three-point stance and secured the pin.

Victor: Ron Simmons via pinfall.

Time: 7:19

Referee: Tommy Young

Rating: 50

At the podium with Tony Schiavone:

Following a commercial break, we join Tony Schiavone at the podium. Schiavone introduces a man who has a few things he wants to get off his chest: Ole Anderson. Ole comes out to a good reaction from the Richmond faithful. He begins by saying that he understands he has a lot to answer for and a lot of people to answer to. He understands that he’s given the good fans of NWA very few reasons to cheer since joining up with The Horsemen. In fact, he’s embarrassed to say that he acted like a coward; attacking men behind their back and only striking when he’s had the numbers advantage.

Well he’d like to show the fans and his fellow wrestlers in the back that he’s a different man. Last week he asked Thunderbolt Patterson to come to the Richmond Coliseum this evening and he went so far as to mail a plane ticket to his home as a gesture of good faith. If Thunderbolt is here, he’d like to say some things to his face…

After a few moments the fans erupt as Patterson, who hasn’t been seen on NWA television for at least two years, makes his way to the podium. His face is stone as he stares at Ole, eyes narrowed and distrusting. Ole extends his hand to his one-time tag partner, but Patterson just looks down at it before he leans in to Schiavone’s microphone saying “I believe you had something you wanted to say…”

Ole goes on to apologize to Patterson for breaking up their team and asks him to be his partner for the Crockett Cup. He says he couldn’t think of a better partner to help him take care of the Horsemen.

Patterson asks him to prove his loyalty and Ole says he will give Patterson 65% of the 1 million purse if they win. To prove it, Ole pulls the contract out of his pocket and says it just needs Patterson’s signature.

Thunderbolt looks to the fans who cheer for him to accept Ole’s offer. Patterson breaks into a smile and takes the hand of Ole and pulls him in close for a hug. The segment ends with Patterson signing the contract.

Time: 8 minutes

Rating: 64

Wahoo McDaniel & Tim Horner vs. The Russian Team

The Native American fan favorite Wahoo McDaniel makes his return to World Championship Wrestling, teaming with young “White Lightening” Tim Horner against the Russian Team. The commentary team reveals that both teams will be competing in Chicago for the Crockett Cup tournament and Koloff and Petrov have received one of the highly-coveted first round byes.

Meanwhile, in the ring Wahoo starts the action off of with Ivan Koloff and the Richmond faithful are excited to see the two long-time Mid-Atlantic mainstays hook up. Wahoo takes the early control, laying in his signature chops. McDaniel tags in the young blue-chipper, Horner, who Ivan is able to exploit.

Koloff and Petrov are able to take Horner to their corner and use a series of quick tags to beat down the youngster. Wahoo pounds the turnbuckle, getting the fans to cheer for the embattled Horner against the powerful Russians. Petrov take a moment to bark at McDaniel, insisting that he was moments away from finishing it. McDaniel jumps through the ropes at Petrov and referee Earl Hebner admonishes him. With Hebner’s back turned, Petrov hooks Horner allowing Ivan Koloff to come off the ropes for a big clothesline, but Horner slips out and Koloff catches Petrov!

McDaniel tosses Ivan out of the ring and Horner hooks Petrov for a quick cradle and an upset 3 count!

Victors: McDaniel & Horner via pinfall.

Time: 9:43

Rating: 51

At the Podium with Tony Schiavone:

Kevin Sullivan flanked by the intimidating Barbarian joins Schiavone at the podium next. Thanks to his victory in the battle royal at the March Supercard, Sullivan has secured a shot at Nikita Koloff and the United States Championship next week. Sullivan states that he has The Barbarian, his newest disciple, watching his back and learning “the ways.”

Schiavone asks Sullivan if this partnership was born against Ron Simmons in Nashville. Sullivan says Simmons was only a pawn of a “greater plan.” The time will come when Sullivan will get his revenge on Simmons for his attack...but first...Nikita Koloff!

Time: 6 minutes

Rating: 69

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/tew0720/NWA%201987/NWA%20World%20Television_zpsrynjbxwj.jpg

Television Title Match: Lazor Tron vs. Tully Blanchard © w/Dark Journey

The Television title was up for grabs in this next contest as Tully Blanchard squared up with the masked friend of Jimmy Valiant, Lazor Tron. Despite the silly gimmick, there was no denying Lazor Tron’s talent and was able to go toe-to-toe with Blanchard in technical wrestling ability and athleticism.

Eventually Blanchard came out on top here, putting Lazor Tron away with his patented Slingshot Suplex.

Victor: Tully Blanchard via pinfall.

Time: 16:24

Referee: Scrappy McGowan

Rating: 62

We join Tony Schiavone once again at the podium, this time with The Super Powers: Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff. Rhodes and Koloff are all smiles and full of energy as they wanted to discuss The Crockett Cup. First, they said how honored they were to receive one of the first round byes. Next they said that they were ready to go for Chicago and New York and it didn’t matter if they had to beat the Horsemen, The Russians, or The Midnight Express because they had a secret weapon to unveil that would guarantee them that highly-coveted trophy and the million dollar prize!

Rating: 88

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/tew0720/NWA%201987/NWA_US_Tag_Team_zpszdtjjyhv.jpg

United States Tag Team Titles: Barry Windham & Ron Garvin © vs. The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette

Our main event of the evening saw Barry Windham & Ron Garvin answering Jim Cornette’s challenge last week, putting the United States Championship on the line against The Midnight Express.

The World’s Heavyweight champion, Ric Flair, couldn’t help himself tonight however, and came down to join Caudle, Schiavone and David Crockett for commentary.

Garvin, still having his eye heavily bandaged with a patch and medical tape, started the contest off with “Sweet” Stan and the two hooked up with a collar-elbow tieup and before Garvin sent Lane into the ropes. Garvin hit the mat as Lane went over, Garvin sprung back up and cocked his signature “Hands of Stone,” but Lane hooked the ropes and slip to the floor quicky consulting with Jim Cornette and Big Bubba Rogers on the floor. Cornette could be heard yelling to referee Tommy Young that Garvin’s clenched fist is illegal!

Lane came back in and tagged in “Beautiful” Bobby who took his turn tying up with Garvin. Eaton wasted no time going for the injured eye, raking his face despite Tommy Young’s admonishing. Eaton slammed Garvin and delivered a quick, crisp legdrop across the battered face good for a two count.

Eaton tagged in Lane and the smooth duo exploited the 5 count double-team allowance, taking Garvin for a ride with a double suplex as Windham looked on, rooting for his partner to make the tag. Lane sent Garvin into the ropes and bent over, getting ready to send Garvin over with a big backdrop. Garvin slid to mat instead and caught Lane with a stiff uppercut to the jaw! Garvin then grabbed Lane by his blonde head and threw to the mat as the Richmond faithful cheered. When Garvin tagged in Windham, the Richmond faithful took their cheers up another notch!

Windham easily took Lane over with belly-to-back suplex and went for a cover. Young counted 1,2, and as his hand was coming for 3, Windham sensed Eaton’s stomp coming to interrupt and rolled out of the way and Eaton ended up catching his own partner! Windham sprung back up and clotheslined Eaton over the top to the floor! On the opposite side of the ring Cornette jumped onto the apron squawking, but Windham simply delivered a big foot to Cornette’s face sending him to the floor! Even Flair had to acknowledge that the number one contender was on fire! Unfortunately, the flurry was short-lived as Lane caught Windham in the jaw with an athletic super kick and both men crashed to the mat!

After a few moments where both Windham and Lane struggled to their respective corners, both men made the tag and Eaton charged right into Ron Garvin’s back elbow! Lane came at Garvin next and Windham jumped back into the fray! Before you know it, all four men were in the ring and bedlam erupted as all four men brawled. The fight carried to the floor and Young stalled his count wanting a clear winner and clean finish.

As Windham brawled with Eaton on the floor, Flair began cat-calling at Windham. Windham tossed Eaton to the floor before getting in Flair’s face. Windham reached back and slapped Flair, knocking his headset off as he hit the floor!

Unfortunately, as Windham was distracted by Flair, Big Bubba ran Ron Garvin’s face into the ring post before depositing back into the ring where Lane slipped in, draped his arm over Garvin for a the three count!

Victors and NEW United States Tag Team Champions: The Midnight Express via pinfall.

Time: 20:18

Rating: 72

Show Rating: 72

1.50 Rating on TBS

Nice job on the last WCW, Crossface. I loved Midnight grabbing the US straps. They personified those belts for me.

I'm pumped for the Crockett Cup too. You still have a lot of ?'s to fill in, so depending on who gets put into those spots could shift this thing pretty significantly. Otherwise it seems like Horsemen, Road Warriors, Super Powers, and Midnight are the early favs IMO.

Overall, this is fast becoming my favorite diary on these boards! I just think you nailed the time period so perfectly. Keep it up!

Nice job on the last WCW, Crossface. I loved Midnight grabbing the US straps. They personified those belts for me.

I'm pumped for the Crockett Cup too. You still have a lot of ?'s to fill in, so depending on who gets put into those spots could shift this thing pretty significantly. Otherwise it seems like Horsemen, Road Warriors, Super Powers, and Midnight are the early favs IMO.

Overall, this is fast becoming my favorite diary on these boards! I just think you nailed the time period so perfectly. Keep it up!

Thanks for the kinds words Rider. There's a boat load of talent on these boards that I don't even hold a candle to, but I appreciate having you aboard.

You're spot on the with all the favorites so far...although I have some surprises that I hope people like....

...Speaking of which, I kept tinkering the brackets I posted earlier and there was a brief period where I had my whole completed brackets filled out! I hope no one saw that! LOL. #noobie

Well, all has been corrected and the current brackets are the appropriate ones. Love to hear people's early thoughts on the set up thus far. Also, the WWF just ran WMIII...any one interested in results?

I always liked tournaments and the Crockett Cup was an amazing concept, especially bringing in teams for other territories to make it seem like a really big deal -- thought they could have done more to hype those other teams (so it would be seen as a great accomplishment when their own teams) beat them

I can see the AWA and Japanese reps winning a match to justify their trip but then they face the cream of the crop so no shame in going home after losing to them.

early picks for your ELite 8

Road Warriors vs Rock & Roll Express in a dream match

Horsemen vs Anderson-Patterson -- seems like a must with their feud

Russians vs Super Powers seems like another natural

lastly Midnight Express vs ???

the mystery teams can always throw a monkey wrench into things so I'll go with one of them to advance.

I can see Ole and Tbolt making it to the finals, The Cup always rewarded a newly formed team (in this case, a newly reformed team)

Saturday April 4, 1987

MA Billerica Joe Tully Forum (New England)

1,000 fans on hand (Sell Out)

Dark:

The Warlord defeated Italian Stallion in 5:59 by submission. (26)

Mike Rotundo and Mike Graham defeated Teijo Khan and Shaska Whatley in 8:11 by submission. (38)

Live:

The Mulkey Brothers vs. Ninja Express (Mr. Pogo & Kendo Nagasakii)

The Crockett Cup’s Japanese contingent debuted on NWA television here, as The Ninja Express displayed their prowess against the Mulkey Brothers. Pogo and Nagasakii used a combination of brutal kicks, unorthodox submissions and devastating double-team maneuvers as they dominated the Mulkeys for the entire contest.

Victors: The Ninja Express via pinfall.

Time: 7:02

Rating: 30

Prerecorded Vignette:

The next segment features a prerecorded vignette shot in a studio where we join a tall, gaunt bald man dressed in a somber three-piece suit and wearing a scowl.

He says in a Chicago-accent, “Chicago April 16th. New York April 19th. Two days that will live in infamy. Two days that will go down as an embarrassment for the National Wrestling Alliance!

“Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Gary Hart and what I do is represent the best wrestling talent in the world. In Chicago and New York, for the Crockett Cup, I will unleashing the two biggest monsters that this sport has ever seen: Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody!

“Now you may be asking yourself, if these two men are the best in the world, how come they aren’t on my television here every week on the Superstation? I’ll explain that to you as bluntly as possible: the promoters of the NWA are too cheap to meet these men’s considerable financial demands and it wasn’t until a million dollar purse was put on the line that I was able to broker a deal resulting in Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody agreeing to wrestle for the NWA.

“You see, Brody and Hansen are bounty hunters. They are merciless. For the last three years, Brody and Hansen have taken their considerable talent to the Orient where they have run roughshod over the entire country of Japan and made a hell of a living doing it! What the NWA doesn’t understand is that these two men are not motivated by titles or prestige...they are motivated by dollar signs and the Crockett Cup is the biggest purse in the history of professional wrestling. Jim Crockett Jr, in his infinite wisdom, even agreed to give these men a first-round bye!

“So, it doesn’t matter if they face the The Road Warriors, The Horsemen, Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff, or any other team on the planet. These two men want their million and they will stop at nothing to get it. See you in Chicago.”

Time: 8 minutes

Rating: 70

The Rock N’ Roll Express vs. Dick Murdoch & Black Bart

With the Crockett Cup a mere two weeks away, two more competing teams went to battle in a pre-tournament exhibition. Murdoch and Bart, despite not having the experience of the Rock n’ Roll Express, showed a surprising cohesion and chemistry as they took an early advantage, cutting Ricky Morton off for his partner. “Captain Redneck” and Black Bart exchanged quick tags in and out, taking turns clubbing Morton down to the mat.

The scales tipped back into the Express’ favor when Bart, from the apron, held Morton up against the ropes as Murdoch came off the ropes to deliver a flying knee. Morton slipped out of Bart’s grasp and Murdoch connected with Bart sending him to the floor! Morton quickly made the tag to Gibson who came at Murdoch with a flurry of right hands and dazzling dropkicks.

Before you know it, all four men were battling in the ring! Gibson and Morton speed, athleticism, and experience as a unit were too much for Bart and Murdoch here however as they were able to grab a pinfall when Gibson took Bart out with a Missile Dropkick from the top.

Victors: Rock N’ Roll Express via pinfall.

Time:10:09

Post Match:

The victory was short-lived however because as Tommy Young raised Morton and Gibson’s arms in victory, Rude and Fernandez, the NWA World Tag Team champions and the final recipients of the Crockett Cup’s first round bye, attacked the Express from behind as Paul Jones directed traffic. The Awesome Twosome punctuated their attack by delivering a spike-piledriver to both Gibson and Morton as David Crockett cried out in outrage!

Rating: 40

Dusty Rhodes vs. Barry Horowitz

Professional job man, Barry Horotwitz, made his NWA debut on tonight’s edition of WCW...unfortunately for Barry it was against “The American Dream,” Dusty Rhodes. While Rhodes went back and forth with young Barry for a bit, the commentary team discussed the current outlook and seedings for the The Crockett Cup. The segment ended when Dusty put Barry away with The Bionic Elbow for a three count.

Victor: Dusty Rhodes via pinfall.

Time: 8:46

Rating: 59

“Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin with Precious join Tony Schiavone at the podium. Tony first asks Jimmy about the status of cousin Ron who is not in the arena tonight. Jimmy explains that he finally talked Ron into taking a week off to let the burns on his face heal so that he can be ready for the Crockett Cup. He goes on to say that Ron is very upset with having lost the US Tag Team titles, but harbors no resentment toward Barry Windham who he wishes the best of luck against Ric Flair. Barry will make a hell of a World Champion. That being said, right here, right now, Jimmy is making it clear that The Garvins are calling out the Midnight Express and want to be the first contenders for United States Tag Titles!

This brings out Jim Cornette who is flanked by Big Bubba Rogers. Cornette tells Garvin that he doesn’t need to listen to this nonsense! The champions have 30 days to defend their titles and don’t need even consider accepting any challengers until after the Crockett Cup! Mama Cornette has made it clear that she expects 1 million dollars!

However, in the interest of keeping Jim Crockett and the NWA board off his back, he will grant Jimmy a match with Big Bubba next week for an opportunity to face the Midnight Express and a future date.

Rating: 55

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/tew0720/NWA%201987/NWA_United_States_Heavy2_zpsr3djxhjc.jpg

United States Title Match: Nikita Koloff © vs. Kevin Sullivan w/The Barbarian

As the challenger, Kevin Sullivan, accompanied by his new disciple The Barbarian, made his way out to the ring first. As Nikita came through the curtain, Sullivan charged the champion, meeting him in the aisle to brawl. Nikita was happy to oblige, unsnapping the United States Championship belt as he picked up speed of his own.

The two brawlers clobbered each other all around the ringside area, tossing each other into crowd barriers for minutes before the contest even officially begun. As the two got closer to the ring itself, The Barbarian jumped into the fray, hammering the big Russian champion from behind. Sullivan and Barbarian run Nikita’s head into the ringpost before tossing the big man into the ring and encouraging referee Tommy Young to ring the bell signifying the official start of the contest.

Right away Sullivan goes for a pinfall cover but Koloff powers out to the delight of the fans in attendance. Sullivan, frustrated that his ambush didn’t get the job done, pounds the mat before going back on the attack with a series of stiff kicks to Koloff’s ribs.

Sullivan grabbed Koloff by the ears and propped him up in the corner before unloading big overhand chops on his chest. The shots seemed to wake the big man up however. Koloff’s eyes bulge before he snarls, frothing, barking at Sullivan. Koloff comes out the corner firing his own right hands on the “Gamesmaster.” Koloff fires Sullivan into the ropes and drops him with stiff Russian Sickle!

Knowing the end was coming, the Barbarian jumped into the ring and once again clobbered Koloff from behind as Tommy Young called for the bell.

Victor: Nikita Koloff via disqualification.

Time: 12:01

Rating: 61

Post match:

Sullivan gets to his feet and tosses referee Tommy Young to the mat as Barbarian continues burying Koloff with big forearm strikes. Sullivan grabbed Koloff and threw into the ropes allowing Barbarian to deliver a might big boot to the champ!

The crowd erupted when Ron Simmons, armed with a folding chair, bolted down to fight off Sullivan and Barbarian. Simmons slid into the ring, swinging the chair wildly as Sullivan and Barbarian jumped out of the ring to scurry to the back!

The battered Nikita came to his feet and raised Simmons hands in the air thanking him for his help and signifying him as the real deal.

Time: 4 minutes

At the Podium with David Crockett:

David Crockett hosts Paul Ellering and the Road Warriors for the next segment. David recognizes them as last year’s Crockett Cup champions and heavy favorites to go the distance this year as well.

Ellering, Hawk and Animal pick up the thread from there. Ellering says that in Chicago and New York, prepare for history to repeat itself. The Road Warriors make their living by performing and dominating in the biggest wrestling extravaganzas around the world and this year’s Crockett Cup will be just another example sheer dominance.

Animal goes on to say that they don’t care who they face, whether it be The Horsemen, The Awesome Twosome, or Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff--the results will be the same: The Road Warriors on top! “Tell ‘em Hawk!”

Hawk finishes the interview by saying they will leave a path of destruction a mile wide as they tear, rip, and snap each team that comes their way!

Rating: 65

Barry Windham, Ole Anderson, Thunderbolt Patterson vs. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Lex Luger w/James J. Dillon

Tensions were high in this big 6-man tag main event. Windham, Ole and Patterson came to this bout with intensity and something to prove against the Horsemen team. The opening contest was mostly made up of The Horsemen’s chicken-shit routine, cockily calling at “the good guys” before escaping to the floor with JJ Dillon as the crowd reigned down boos.

As Arn and Windham finally looked to hook up to open the contest, Arn once again jumped to the floor and Windham dove out after him. Unbeknownst to Arn, Ole came off the apron and went around the ring in the opposite direction, sandwiching Arn in-between Windham and Ole who took turns delivering right hands to the “Enforcer.”

Windham threw Arn in the ring and went for a cover, but Arn was able to put his foot on the ropes. Windham dragged Arn into his corner and tagged in Thunderbolt Patterson who shucked and jived while delivering a series of jabs to Arn to the crowd’s delight.

Next Patterson tagged in Ole and the crowd was thrilled to finally see the two Andersons hook it up. Ole sent Arn into the ropes who was tagged by Flair unbeknownst to Ole. As Ole took Arn over with a backdrop, Flair took down Ole was rare dropkick. Flair tagged in Luger to exploit the double-team advantage and the two took Ole over with a big time double suplex.

Luger went for the pin attempt, but Thunderbolt was able to break it up. As Patterson came in, so did Flair and Arn and Barry and very quickly Scrappy McGowan had his hands full trying to maintain order.

All 6 men continued to wildly brawl both within the ring and without. Unable to restore order, McGowan had no choice to call for the bell and call a no contest.

If any of the 6 knew or cared the bout was over, it was impossible to tell because the donnybrook continued as the announce team said we were out of time for this broadcast!

Victors: No Contest.

Time: 16:28

Rating: 68

Show Rating: 66

1.51 Rating on TBS

For some extra immersion, I thought I'd share the Wrestlemania III results with you all! Enjoy!

Wrestlemania III

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/tew0720/NWA%201987/CrockettCup87/WrestleManiaIII_zpsntmt60mh.jpg

Sunday March 29, 1987

MI Pontiac Silverdome (Great Lakes)

93,173 (sellout)

PPV Buyrate: .92

Dark:

Haku over Lanny Poffo (47)

Jacques Rougeau over Steve Lombardi (48)

Live:

Siva Afi over Outback Jack (38)

Velvet MacIntyre over Leilani Kai (48)

The Wild Samoans over The Young Stallions (57)

Magnificent Muraco over Dino Bravo (67)

Angle involved Steamboat/Andre (93)

Hart Foundation over The British Bulldogs to retain WWF Tag Titles (66)

Demolition Ax over Tom Zenk (60)

Angle involved Hogan, Bob Orton, and King Kong Bundy (85)

Randy Savage over Tito Santana to retain WWF Intercontinental Title (82)

The Fabulous Moolah over Debbie Combs to retain WWF Woman’s Title (49)

King Kong Bundy over Junkyard Dog (66)

Hulk Hogan over Andre the Giant to retain WWF World title (79)

Show Rating: 77

I'll have another updated Crockett Cup seeding up later! As always, thanks for checking this out and feedback is encouraged!

A lot of Cup entrants are really "team to beat", everyone from the Road Warriors to Hansen and Brody will be a huge mountain for anyone to try and cross. Gary Hart's entrance to JCP is great, and quite fitting given you are playing Dusty; from what I've always read, Dusty felt Hart was one of the best managers of all time. The no contest in the main event screams 80's booking, but I can only imagine what that rating might have been if it would have had a conclusive finish. As it stands, however, you are definitely time period correct.

I'm rather shocked that the WWF held Hogan vs. Andre at WM3! Usually you find that they put Hogan over someone like Bob Orton, and it just feels so wrong as a historical wrestling fan!

Thanks for the comments Beejus and olympia. I tried to mix up the Cup while keeping it realistic. I think there's a few possible outcomes I am juggling around with quite a few worthy combinations (IMO).

I'm glad Gary Hart was received well. I was pretty pumped to bring him in. I just read his autobiography (and you're right Beejus, Hart and Rhodes had a very close relationship with a lot of mutual respect), and was excited about employing him.

I was also happily surprised to see Hogan/Andre in the ME of WMIII. That was pretty cool!

Without further adieu, here's the latest Crockett Cup brackets. Bear with me as I tinker with the format of the file.

One more WCW before Night 1 in Chicago! Comments/feedback always welcome!

As a huge RnR Express and Midnight Express fan, I call shenanigans on putting the RnR Express in that loaded bracket.;) And you didn't give Cornette's team a bye either. Okay, their 1st round match is against the MOD squad, but Beautiful Bobby might get hurt.

Poor Ricky is going to need some spine realignment after Hansen barely leaves his head attached.

The Crockett Cup brackett is starting to shape up. So many possabilities with so many great teams. I am leaning toward Brody and Hansen,but something tells me it being the Crockett Cup it will be a team who is already signed to the Nwa and is already a part of JCP, but then again who knows. You should look back at some of the Hart /Rhodes promos where Hart would call dusty by his real name those were classic(Hart was one of the few managers who was good on the mic). Great job, can't wait for the Crockett Cup to begin.

I'm loving this diary/dynasty! The feel of 1987 NWA wrestling is captured perfectly and sometimes it almost seems like I'm reading about events that really took place. As for the Crockett Cup, I see a lot of good teams, but only 1 truly great team that can get the crowd going wild, of course I am talking about The Mulkey Brothers! I just hope we finally get to see Mulkey-Mania run wild!

As been said, loved the latest episode. I hope Gary Hart sticks around- a great in-ring and "shoot" personality and a frequent avatar in historical mods for me. One of the best/most overlooked minds in the history of the business.

Can I be the first to mention that I'm loving the random heel tactics that upset David Crockett? Very authentic!

As far as the Cup goes, I know there's one more WCW but I feel like the Road Warriors have been quiet and are ready to go off. They're appearing on WCW which tells me you must have secured them on writtens. If that's the case, I expect a repeat of '86. (Based on their in-game personality and starting overness, I can't imagine they would agree to let anyone else win!) So that's my head, that's my official prediction...but my heart it will always be the Midnight Express.

As been said, loved the latest episode. I hope Gary Hart sticks around- a great in-ring and "shoot" personality and a frequent avatar in historical mods for me. One of the best/most overlooked minds in the history of the business.

Gary was one of the best talkers in the buisness, I agree that he was one of the most underated/overlooked minds in the history of the buisness

As a huge RnR Express and Midnight Express fan, I call shenanigans on putting the RnR Express in that loaded bracket.;) And you didn't give Cornette's team a bye either. Okay, their 1st round match is against the MOD squad, but Beautiful Bobby might get hurt.

Poor Ricky is going to need some spine realignment after Hansen barely leaves his head attached.

Haha! Had to laugh at this one. I agree that RnR are in a loaded bracket. In fact, they'll be interviewed about that on the next WCW. :)

RE: Midnight Express not getting a bye, they were on my initial list. However the byes were decided before they won the US Tag Titles and before Stan Lane debuted. It felt wrong to grant them a bye when Condrey was gone and they were in the process of reinventing themselves.

I'm loving this diary/dynasty! The feel of 1987 NWA wrestling is captured perfectly and sometimes it almost seems like I'm reading about events that really took place. As for the Crockett Cup, I see a lot of good teams, but only 1 truly great team that can get the crowd going wild, of course I am talking about The Mulkey Brothers! I just hope we finally get to see Mulkey-Mania run wild!

Thanks for jumping in LordJaguar! Glad to have you! Mulkey-Mania could explode anytime! ;)

Can I be the first to mention that I'm loving the random heel tactics that upset David Crockett? Very authentic!

David is a great little fanboy.

As far as the Cup goes, I know there's one more WCW but I feel like the Road Warriors have been quiet and are ready to go off. They're appearing on WCW which tells me you must have secured them on writtens. If that's the case, I expect a repeat of '86. (Based on their in-game personality and starting overness, I can't imagine they would agree to let anyone else win!) So that's my head, that's my official prediction...but my heart it will always be the Midnight Express.

Good deduction about the Road Warriors....they are recipients of the handful of written contracts that I gave out. I had to get them out of Japan. Hopefully they aren't too difficult to work with and make me regret that decision because I do have some big plans for them. (So far they've been on their best behavior.)

Gary was one of the best talkers in the buisness, I agree that he was one of the most underated/overlooked minds in the history of the buisness

Nice to see the love for Mr. Gary Hart here. He is a guy that I plan on keeping around for a while and would like to use to get a variety of talent over.

I've booked WCW, ran it, and have it partially written. I'll get it up when I can.

Saturday April 11, 1987

AL Celebration Arena (South East)

8,466 fans on hand

Dark:

Kendall Windham defeated The Terminator in 7:18 by pinfall. (39)

Murdoch & Black Bart defeated Mike Graham and Mike Rotundo in 9:39 by pinfall. (66)

Live:

Tim Horner vs. Johnny Ace

Tonight’s edition of World Championship Wrestling opened with a contest between two of NWA up-and-comers, “White Lightning” Tim Horner and Johnny Ace. Although Ace had the clear weight and strength advantage over Horner, Horner was clearly faster and more technically proficient. Additionally, as the commentary team reminds us, Horner is riding a big wave of momentum as Wahoo McDaniel’s tag partner in the upcoming Crockett Cup. Just two weeks ago on this program, Horner and McDaniel scored a big upset over the Russian Team.

This contest came to it’s conclusion when Horner bested Ace in a technical exchange, pinning him to the mat with a backslide.

Victor: Tim Horner via pinfall.

Time: 7:10

Rating: 42

Post Match:

As Tommy Young is raising Tim Horner’s hand in victory, The Russian Team hits the ring and blindsides Horner from behind. Koloff and Petrov put the boots to the young man, clearly embarrassed about their upset loss to him and Wahoo McDaniel. David Crockett laments that Wahoo is not even in the building tonight to help the youngster!

Turns out “White Lightning” did have some friends in the back despite the absence of his Native American friend and mentor, as Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff, the Super Powers, hit the ring and send the Russians scurrying to the back as we go to a commercial break.

Time: 5 minutes

As we return from the break, the Super Powers join Tony Schiavone at the podium. The two begin to talk about how excited they are for the Crockett Cup and how excited they are to unleash their “secret weapon, their ace in the hole, their key to victory, if you will.”

As Schiavone continues to press the Dream and Koloff for hints as to the what the secret could be…

...Paul Jones and The Awesome Twosome come out to interrupt. They tell Rhodes and Koloff that they are the favorites to win the Cup this year by virtue of being the World Tag Team champions. Rude goes on to say that if they had the Super Powers beat here on the Superstation a few weeks ago if it wasn’t for the Rock and Roll Express “sticking their nose where it didn’t belong,” the Awesome Twosome would have pinned the “Dream” and the “Nightmare” right in the middle of the ring!

Rhodes counters that they “couldn’t get it done daddy,” and the Powers are only to happy to prove it in Chicago this week!

Lazor Tron & Jimmy Valiant vs. The Kansas Jayhawks

Another Crockett Cup primer in this contest, as fun-loving Jimmy Valiant and his robotic friend Lazor Tron took on Dutch Mantell and Bobby Jaggers, the Kansas Jayhawks. Both teams were pretty evenly matched throughout and as they traded advantages, the commentary team discussed the seedings of the Cup.

The pinfall came shortly after 7 minutes when Jimmy Valiant rolled up Bobby Jaggers after Jaggers accidently collided his head on the ringpost.

Victors: Lazor Tron & Valiant via pinfall.

Time: 7:34

Referee: Teddy Long

Rating: 53

Barry Windham vs. The Warlord

Just 8 days before his match with Ric Flair for the NWA World’s Championship, the heavy fan favorite Barry Windham tested his mettle against the large and powerful Warlord. Barry wasted no time as he sprinted to the ring, slid under the bottom rope, and went after the big man with a series of big time right hands to the jaw as Scrappy McGowan frantically called for the bell and the start of the contest. Barry knocked the Warlord backwards before sending him into the ropes and dropping him with an athletic dropkick.

Windham looked to get the quick cover, but the big man muscled out at 2. Windham did not let up however, and the announcers wondered if this would be this relentless strategy would be employed against Ric Flair when they tie-up in New York for the richest prize in the sport.

The Warlord powered out of a hold and took control of the contest about 5 minutes into the match. Warlord threw a barrage of clubbing strikes and power moves to the number one contender, but Windam would not be held down for a three count.

With the Alabama faithful behind him, Windham battled his way back against the larger Warlord and, in an impressive display of strength, took the three-hundred pounder for a ride with a Superplex for a pinfall.

Victor: Barry Windham via pinfall.

Time: 7:41

Rating: 61

At the Podium with David Crockett:

The next segment featured the Four Horsemen joining David Crockett at the podium. The World’s champion “Nature Boy,” Ric Flair got things started for the group. He noted that Barry Windham is living on borrowed time. In Chicago, in five days time, Windham is going to sign his name to a contract with “the best wrestler in the world. Woooo!” In New York, Barry Windham has another opportunity to be champ--to be the leader of this industry-- to put his names in the record books for all time. Flair warned that Windham better be in the best shape of his career, and better bring every wrestling hold he knows because he’s squaring off against “The Nature Boy! Wooo!”

Rating: 87

JJ Dillon continued the interview and told David to inspect Luger, Arn, and Tully closely. All three are impeccable wrestlers and choosing which two to roll out into the Crockett Cup is the decision he is taking very seriously. Tully and Arn possess the technical prowess and ring savvy of proven veterans while Luger brings unmitigated power and energy. All the other wrestlers in the tournament have to be wondering which combination it will be.

Tully carries on by saying that the Road Warriors know that tonight they have himself and the Enforcer in the 8X8 squared circle. In fact, Tully takes this opportunity to remind the Road Warriors that their first pinfall defeat came at the hands of the Four Horsemen! That’s a pill that Hawk and Animal never could swallow! But they better get used to taking their medicine because tonight it happens all over again and it's just a preview of what’ll happen in Chicago and New York when the Cup is on the line.

David Crockett pointed out that when the Horsemen defeated the Road Warriors that first time, Ole Anderson was a member of the group. Arn responded to that by clapping Luger on the shoulders and saying that Horsemen are a forward looking organization. They’re looking forward to winning 1 million dollars. But since David brought it up, Arn does mention that he is also looking forward to settling some family matters with Ole when the time is right.

Rating: 73

Jimmy Garvin w/ Precious vs. Big Bubba Rogers w/Jim Cornette

Pretty big semi-main event tonight as “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin squares off with Big Bubba Rogers with Jim Cornette agreeing to put a future shot at the Midnight Express and the United States Tag titles on the line.

Garvin and Bubba circled one another as Garvin strategized how best to take on the imposing big man. After a few moments, Garvin just came at Rogers with a flurry of fists. This proved to be the wrong strategy as Rogers shook off Garvins’ blows and knocked him down with a big-foot to the face as Cornette squealed in delight from ringside.

Thinking it potentially could be a short night, Rogers went for a pinfall but Garvin kicked out on 2. Rogers next picked up Garvin by his thick curly hair and delivered a big headbutt and taunted Precious as Garvin fell back to the mat. Rogers continued to stalk Garvin, jumping down on his lower back as he tried to climb back to his feet. Again Rogers paraded around the ring celebrating and mocking the fans who rooted Garvin on.

As Precious pounded the apron, getting the fans to their feet, Garvin crawled his way to the ring ropes. Bubba, seeing this, lurched across the ring readying to jump on his prone opponent. Garvin had the move well scouted though and quickly moved out of the way and Bubba crotched himself across the middle rope!

After taking a few moments to recover, Jimmy tried the cover but was only good for 2. Garvin was persistent however, and locked a in a rear-chinlock in an attempt to keep the big man grounded to the mat. Again, Garvin was unsuccessful as Rogers muscled his way out dropping Garvin with a big side-suplex. Jimmy rolled to the floor as once again Rogers, firmly back in control, sauntered around the ring. Cornette came around the corner of the ring to throw some extra kicks into Jimmy’s ribs! As referee Scrappy McGowan quickly came over to admonish the garish manager, the crowd erupted...

...as Ron Garvin slipped out from under the ring apron on the opposite side of the ring!

While the referee remained tied up with Cornette, Ron jumped on the apron and Big Bubba invited him in to square off. Ron happily stepped between the ropes and quickly ducked Roger’s big hand before connecting with his own right-cross immediately dropping Rogers with the famed “Hands of Stone!” Just as quick, Ron jumped back to the ringside floor as Jimmy Garvin climbed back in for the shocking cover!

Victor: Jim Garvin via pinfall.

Time: 13:22

Rating: 60

At the Podium with Bob Caudle:

The last interview segment of the evening takes place with Bob Caudle hosting The Rock n’ Roll Express. Morton and Gibson discussed the uphill climb they face in Crockett Cup with both the Road Warriors and Brody & Hansen in their block. They note that they thrive as underdogs and don’t mind having their backs to the wall. They also took a moment to deliver some choice words to Rude and Fernandez and made it clear that they have unfinished business with the Tag champs and as soon as the Crockett Cup is over, expect to see the RnR zeroing in on the gold.

Rating: 71

The Road Warriors w/ Paul Ellering vs. Anderson & Blanchard w/JJ Dillon

A lot of star power filled the ring here as the Road Warriors took on Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard. The first few moments took place as both teams and their respective managers stood in the center of the ring exchanging heated words as referee Tommy Young tried to keep a sense of order despite the tension.

Just as it seemed both teams were ready to go with Arn squaring off against Hawk…

...Gary Hart made his way to ringside drawing the attention of both teams. If Hart was intimidated by the gaze of any of the competitors, he did not show it. His plodding walk took him around the ring one time as he rubbed his chin thoughtfully before he finally joined Bob, David, and Tony at the announce table for guest commentary.

Arn Anderson used Hart’s arrival and temporary distraction to ambush the larger Hawk officially starting the contest. Arn threw a combination of fists and kicks at the Road Warrior before sending him into the ropes, Hawk reversed and dropped “The Enforcer” with a shoulder-tackle. Hawk tagged in Animal and the two took Anderson for a ride with a big double-suplex. Animal went for the cover but Tully was able to break it up.

As the Road Warriors kept the pressure on, Hart on commentary, revealed that he was here to scout what was supposedly the best the NWA had to offer. He’s heard a lot of talk about the Road Warriors and a lot of talk about the Horsemen...but neither team will be able to stack up to his men: Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen.

Back in the ring, as Animal had Anderson up in a military-press-slam, Anderson shoved his thumb right in Animal’s eye! Animal dropped Arn who quickly scrambled to tag in Tully who immediately delivered a chop-block to Animal’s left knee bringing the big man to the mat. From there, Tully went to work on Animal’s leg. He tagged in Anderson and the two took turns stomping the big man and imply a variety of leg locks.

Eventually Animal turned the tide once again, as he used his good leg to kick Arn (who was once again the legal man) into a neutral corner. The move was enough for Animal to climb back to his feet and after a few more heavy haymakers, tag in Hawk who went on spree slamming both Anderson and Blanchard who ran into the ring.

As all four men brawled in the ring and the Warriors coming out on top, “Precious” Paul Ellering began barking in the direction of Gary Hart on at the commentary table. Hart quickly whipped his headset off and got to his feet, yelling back at Ellering.

Meanwhile, Animal had hoisted Blanchard up for the Doomsday Device as Hawk perched on the top rope. Before Hawk could leap, he saw Hart and Ellering going at it on the floor and dropped to the floor to intercede on behalf of his managar. Arn Anderson chopblocked the already injured leg of Animal and both Animal and Tully crashed the mat! Tully had enough wherewithal to cover the big man for the pin.

Victors: Anderson & Blanchard via pinfall.

Time: 15:44

Rating: 76

Show Rating: 74

1.51 Rating on TBS

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/tew0720/NWA%201987/NWA%202_zpslo7xakhk.jpg

The National Wrestling Alliance Presents:

The Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup Night 1

April 16, 1987

UIC Pavilion

Chicago, IL

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/tew0720/NWA%201987/CrockettCup87/NWA%20Crockett%20Cup1_zpseestumcp.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/tew0720/NWA%201987/CrockettCup87/JCC87_3_zpsf9kxr9ix.jpg

Night 1 will feature the first two rounds of this prestigious tournament!

Plus the special contract signing with challenger Barry Windham and champion Ric Flair!

Qualifiers:

Block A:

The Ninja Express vs. Mike Rotundo & Mike Graham

Barry Horowitz & Tommy Angel vs. The Rock n' Roll Express

Block B:

Representitves from the AWA vs. Bob and Brad Armstrong

The Mulkeys vs. Kevin Sullivan & The Barbarian

Ole Anderson & Thunderbolt Patterson vs. Teijo Khan & Shaska Whatley

Block C:

Jimmy Valiant & Lazor Tron vs. The New Breed

Thunderfoots vs. The Kansas Jayhawks

Block D:

The MOD Squad vs. The Midnight Express

Tim Horner & Wahoo McDaniel vs. The Warlord & The Spoiler

The Garvins vs. Dich Murdoch & Black Bart

Round 2:

Block A:

The Road Warriors vs. ???

Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen vs. ???

Block B:

The Horsemen vs. ???

??? vs. ???

Block C:

The Russian Team vs. ???

The Super Powers vs. ???

Block D:

??? vs. ???

The Awesome Twosome vs. ???

Bonus Questions:

Who will be the 2 representatives from the Horsemen?

Who will be the 2 representatives from the AWA?

What is The Super Powers secret weapon?

Who will come out of the contract signing with the upper-hand? (Windham, Flair, or neither)

Special Extra Bonus Question:

Who will win the Crockett Cup?

(correct guesses will be granted 2 additional correct picks on this show to be assessed following Night 2)

*card subject to change

Official Prediction Contest Rules:

*Winner must participate in at least 2/3 "special events" during the contest period. Period includes "March Supershow," "Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup Night 1" and "Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup Night 2."

**Winner will be determined by highest percentage including bonus questions

***Disclaimer: I have never run a prediction contest before, so in the in event that a rule revision is necessary, I reserve the right to change prediction stipulations.

Current Prediction Contest Standings:

1st: horseman4lyfe 78%

2nd: Beejus 66%

3rd: RingRider 44%

Block A:

Block B:

Block C:

Block D:

Round 2:

Block A:

Block B:

The Horsemen vs. ???

Anderson/Patterson

Block C:

The Russian Team vs. ???

The Super Powers vs. ???

Block D:

The Midnight Express

The Awesome Twosome vs. The Garvins

Bonus Questions:

Who will be the 2 representatives from the Horsemen? Luger and Tully

Who will be the 2 representatives from the AWA? The Midnight Rockers

What is The Super Powers secret weapon? Magnum TA

Who will come out of the contract signing with the upper-hand? (Windham, Flair, or neither) Neither.

Who will win the Crockett Cup? The Super Powers

(correct guesses will be granted 2 additional correct picks on this show to be assessed following Night 2)

Qualifiers:

Block A:

Block B:

Block C:

Block D:

Round 2:

Block A:

Block B:

The Horsemen vs. ???

??? vs. ??? Patterson/Anderson

Block C:

The Russian Team vs. ???

The Super Powers vs. ???

Block D:

??? vs. ??? Midnight Express

The Awesome Twosome vs. ??? Garvins

Bonus Questions:

Who will be the 2 representatives from the Horsemen? Arn/Luger

Who will be the 2 representatives from the AWA? Summers/Rose

What is The Super Powers secret weapon? Magnum

Who will come out of the contract signing with the upper-hand? (Windham, Flair, or neither)

Who will win the Crockett Cup? Super Powers

First off; I just caught up on reading this whole diary, and I really think it is great!

Qualifiers:

Block A:

Block B:

Representatives from the AWA vs. Bob and Brad Armstrong

Block C:

Block D:

Round 2:

Block A:

Block B:

The Horsemen vs. ???

Block C:

The Russian Team vs. ???

The Super Powers vs. ???

Block D:

The Awesome Twosome vs. ???

Bonus Questions:

Who will be the 2 representatives from the Horsemen? Arn Anderson/Tully Blanchard

Who will be the 2 representatives from the AWA? Verne Gagne/Larry Zbyszko

What is The Super Powers secret weapon? Magnum T.A

Who will win the Crockett Cup? The Horsemen

Archived