1983 - What If Hulk Hogan Never Existed?

March 1987 - Hulk Hogan stood proudly in the center of the ring, basking in the applause of the audience in Detroit after pinning Andre the Giant. He knew he had reached the ultimate pinnacle of greatness. This was Wrestlemania III. This was history.

Or so he thought.

Sitting on the sidelines, Roddy Piper pondered the situation in which he had been placed. It had been just two years since his own main event appearance in the inaugural Wrestlemania, but even then the writing was on the wall. Hulkamania was taking over, and this was the end of the era he had loved so much. And at that dark moment, Piper made a wish. "I wish there never had been a Hulk Hogan."

Across time, a distant descendant of Roddy named Booster Gold seemed to hear this wish as if by magic. Booster had been working as a janitor in the New York Museum of Science in the year 2433, and the sudden calling of a furtive desire seemed to permeate his entire being. Booster, a disgraced football player in search of a comeback at any cost, realized that if his ancestor had hit it big, he would have been left with a centuries-long fortune that might allow him to live lavishly. Booster pondered all of this until he saw...

Booster_Gold_%28Dan_Jurgens%29.jpg

A Time Sphere.

A device that had long lain dormant in the basement of the museum, the Time Sphere had never been tested, a vestige of scientist Rip Hunter's mad innovations before his strange disappearance decades before. Booster tapped the handle of his Atomic Broom thoughtfully. "I wonder..."

Without a moment's hesitation, Booster climbed into the Time Sphere. After a few minutes of experimentation, the device whirred to life and in a flash of crimson lightning, Booster was thrown back in time, far far far back...

to 1983.

It was January 1st in Tokyo when Booster stepped out of the machine in front of a shocked Hulk Hogan. "Who-who-who... what is this, brother?"

Booster smiled. "Well, brother... Roddy Piper sends his regards."

Hulk had only vaguely heard this name before. "Roddy P-"

He was cut short as a blast of cosmic radiation melted his skull and its contents, turning his cranium into liquefied soup. Hogan's body slumped to the ground.

And from that day forth, the world would never hear the name of Hulkamania ever again.

maxresdefault.jpg

An Introduction

An Introduction...

Welcome to a fun little diary I thought I would put together. This is the tale of a completely CPU-run world beginning in 1983. One that, of course, lacks a key figure. And that man's name... is Hulk Hogan.

I also made a couple minor changes to the world in Hulk's absence. The story is obviously based around Piper's jealousy of Hogan, so I have upped Piper's skill set to that of where he would be at his peak in mods I've seen elsewhere. This really isn't too much of a boost, but just enough that I think it will be enjoyable to see his rise to prominence.

Every day, I will try to give an update for another week of in-game history. How will the world change around Hogan's absence? Can WWF ever hope to achieve its meteoric ascent to the top of the wrestling world? And can any other worker hope to reach the level of popularity that was Hulkamania?

Stay tuned as we find out!

If Ed Leslie gets anywhere without Hulk, you'll know the mod overrates him. ;)

I disagree. Leslie while not hugely talented, had a good look and was charismatic. He should still end up having at least midcard and tag title runs with at least one of the big companies.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out though. It's an interesting scenario for sure.

Week 1: 1st Week of January, 1983

http://www.holderer.com/pictures/wtc/nycskyline.jpg

High above New York City, a swirl of clouds obscured the sudden appearance of a transparent sphere, wherein sat Piper's descendant from the future, Booster Gold.

"Computer, pull up news reports for the first week of January, 1983."

"Yes, Booster."

"Search for topic - wrestling. Sub-search - WWF, Roddy Piper."

"Running... search complete. There are 0 results for WWF and Roddy Piper."

"Well there has to be some mistake! Search WWF again. Umm... Just WWF."

"Loading... There are four results for WWF:

http://s8.postimg.org/fs80cr7j5/Rocky_Johnson.jpghttp://s29.postimg.org/tqej0dg77/Bob_Backlund_1.jpg

Wrestling Observer - Rocky Johnson defeated Bob Backlund for the WWF World Heavyweight Title (77). In what has been considered a bold initiative for the WWF, Rocky Johnson has been crowned the first African-American world champion in not only the World Wrestling Federation but in any American wrestling promotion. In his shocking victory over Bob Backlund, Johnson pinned the champion in what was his 100th title defense. Quite a milestone to be sure, but one that now will be regarded by many as the first of Rocky Johnson rather than the 100th of Bob Backlund. When reached for comment, Vincent K. -

"

"Okay, skip that one. Next article."

http://s10.postimg.org/wl4napgmd/Afa_85.jpghttp://s30.postimg.org/8w4j7ujzh/Sika.jpg

"New York Daily News - The Wild Samoans defeated the Strongbows for the WWF World Tag Team titles (61). While perhaps not a surprise to many, the tag team of the Strongbows submitted to defeat against the rising Wild Samoans tag team in Madison Square Garden on Saturday. Aging star Chief Jay Strongbow met defeat at the hands of Afa in a - "

"Enough of that. Surely you have some news on personnel changes at WWF."

Richmond Gazette - WWF fires Freddie Blassie, Buddy Rogers. Backstage drama has grown more palpable as young promoter Vincent K. McMahon has released two aging titans from the ranks of the WWF. Of particular note is Blassie who up until - "

"Just give me that last article. Surely there's something about Piper in there."

"Pro Wrestling Illustrated - WWF sets their sights. WWF has reportedly offered contracts to several talents over the last few days, although names have yet to be confirmed..."

"You know what? Just forget WWF. There's other promotions. Computer read me out a list of major hirings over the past week in wrestling."

"Loading...I have several results. For the AWA - Randy Savage, Terry Gordy, Bob Backlund, Jimmy Garvin and Barry Windham."

"Backlund is no longer exclusive? No wonder Vince is dropping him. Who else?"

"I'm reporting that the CWA has hired Ric Flair, while the WWC has hired Sgt. Slaughter, Lou Albano, Tully Blanchard, Don Muraco and Wendi Richter."

"Damn, sounds like they're making a play for the big leagues. Where's Piper contracted right now?"

"Roddy Piper is currently employed by Mid-American Championship Wrestling."

"They hire anybody new?"

"MACW has secured deals with Don Muraco, Ricky Morton and Larry Zbyszko."

"Hmmm... this could work out for Gramps. Anny other major news?"

"Running a scan, limiting indicators to news stories garnering the attention of multiple regional or national news outlets only. I show that several new feuds have begun in major wrestling territories. In addition, there was one major retirement, the formation of a new tag team and several young stars receive attention in the category entitled 'on the rise'. Shall I put them on screen?"

"Yeah, whatever."

Feud between Nick Bockwinkel and Rick Martel (AWA)

Feud between Wahoo McDaniel and Ken Patera (AWA)

Feud between Butch Reed and Ted DiBiase (Mid-South)

Feud between Andre the Giant and Kendo Nagasakii vs. Inoki and Fujinami (NJPW)

El Santo retiring

AWA teams Jesse Ventura and Steve Regal together as the Lady Killers

On the rise: Atsushi Onita, Monster Ripper, Jason the Terrible, Jose Luis Rivera

"Well, that's a whole heap of nothing. No news about Piper at all? Did he even have any matches?"

"Searching... there are reports of two matches including worker Roddy Piper in the database. Shall I display results?"

"Stop asking and just do it, computer. Christ, you are a pitiful piece of junk."

Piper and Jimmy Valiant defeated Bob Orton Jr.. and Black Bart (73)

Roddy Piper defeated Terry Funk (82)

"An 82 rating? Wait, I thought Meltzer ran things in stars."

"It appears that the Wrestling Observer has begun a new rating system based on a 100-point system, instituted this week. Shall I attempt a conversion score system - "

"NO! God, no! Enough of the damned stars. It's fine. I'm... I'm just hasty. Maybe more will happen next week. Computer, set Time Sphere to make a leap to next Monday. Let's see if Piper makes any moves."

"Confirmed. Chronological adjustment protocol initiating in 3...2...1..."

Other Title Changes:

-Inoki & Fujinami defeated Black Tiger and Masked Superstar for the IWGP Tag Team Titles (79)

-The Mongolian Stomper defeated Bret Hart for the CSW North American Heavyweight Title (76)

-Rick Martel defeated Manny Fernandez for the NWA Central States Heavyweight Title (73)

-Crush Girls defeated The Black Pair for the WWA World Tag Team titles (73)

-Devil Masami defeated Mimi Hagiwara for the WWA All Pacific title (72)

-Monster Ripper defeated Lioness Asuka for the AJW World Title (71)

-John Quinn defeated Tony St. Clair for the ASW British Heavyweight Title (71)

-Kendo Nagasakii defeated Dick Murdoch for the IWGP Heavyweight Title (69)

-Big Daddy defeated Giant Haystacks for the JPUK British Heavyweight Title (65)

-Nobuhiko Takada defeated Gran Hamada for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title (65)

-Jacques Rougeau defeated Angelo Mosca for the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Title (64)

-Magnum T.A. defeated Iron Mike Sharpe for the Mid-South Television Title (64)

-Duncam and Von Raschke defeated the High Flyers for the AWA World Tag Team Titles (64)

-El Faraoan, Salazar and Markus Jr. defeated El Satanico, Rocca and Apache for the Mexican National Trios Championship titles (63)

-Cien Caras defeated Americo Rocca for the MExican National Light Heavyweight Title (59)

-Mal Sanders defeated Dave Taylor for the British Mid-Heavyweight Title (59)

-Bernie Wright defeated Marty Jones for the British Light Heavyweight Title (55)

-Sailor White defeated Billy Robinson for the IWA International Heavyweight Title (55)

-Bobby Duncum defeated Blackjack Lanza for the AWA Television Title (58)

-Goulet and Pierre LeBelle defeated Mighty Igor and Singh for the Canadian Open Tag Team Titles (54)

-Curt Hennig defeated Ed Wiskowski for the NWA Pacific Northwest Television Title (53)

-Cachorro Mendoza and Atlantis defeated Hombre Bala and Dandy for the Mexican National Tag Team Titles (53)

-El Supremo defeated Kato Kung Lee for the Mexican National Welterweight Title (52)

-Tom Jones defeated Bobby Colt for the WWA World Heavyweight Title (44)

-El Bronco defeated King Konga for the WWC World Television title (41)

Oh, this is highly entertaining. My favorite 2010 mod was Genadi's 1987 alt. mod that had Snuka injure Hogan. Honestly, Hogan almost never ends up in WWF in this mod though. Don't know why the AI never goes for him. Lord knows that WWF needed him because their starting roster is horrible, accurate but horrible. They do tend to put the title on Rocky though. Usually, it is a very fatal mistake.

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><span style="font-size:36px;">Week 2: 2nd Week of January, 1983</span></span></strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/NYC-Storm_Twitter-Gyro-via-Daily-Mail-620x333.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

The Time Sphere rippled to life in the center of a thunderstorm, lightning rippling across its surface.</p><p> </p><p>

“Damn, computer! Are you trying to fry us?”</p><p> </p><p>

“Booster, our surface is resistant to any electrical interaction thanks to a neutron-laced shield across the ship’s hull.”</p><p> </p><p>

“Well thanks for the science lesson… you know, we need to give you a name.”</p><p> </p><p>

“I am designated M-0828 Sentient Interface.”</p><p> </p><p>

“How about Sheila?”</p><p> </p><p>

“I do not have an opinion about an unofficial moniker.”</p><p> </p><p>

“Sheila it is!”</p><p> </p><p>

“Confirmed. I will now answer to user designate ‘Sheila.’”</p><p> </p><p>

“Okay, enough nonsense. Tell me what’s up in the news this week.”</p><p> </p><p>

“Cross-referencing for WWF. Here are the top stories.”</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://s29.postimg.org/mvx8xijsj/Ted_Di_Biase_1_B.jpg?noCache=1458013208</span><p>

“<strong>Wrestling Observer – WWF Hires Ted DiBiase. </strong>According to insider sources, regional talent on the rise, Ted DiBiase, has been contracted to a 4 year deal with the World Wrestling Federation. DiBiase will wrestle under the name ‘The Million Dollar Man’ and is expected to make his debut this weekend at Madison – “</p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

“DiBiase? Well, he’s no Gramps, but he’s damn good. I can live with that. What else?”</p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://s7.postimg.org/7qi2toe6f/Billy_Graham_85.jpg</span><span>http://s14.postimg.org/r1v7wy3wt/Big_John_Studd_1.jpg</span><p>

“<strong>Village Voice – WWF Tag Team Forms- The Upstarts (Superstar Billy Graham and Big John Studd) </strong>debuted Sunday night in Albany in front of 7500 fans. Considered a strong candidate for the new heel team to beat, Graham and Studd have already proven to be a team with which to be reckoned, defeating the former Tag Champions, The Strongbows, in a – “</p><p>

</p></div><p></p><p></p><p>

“What the hell kind of team is that? Next!”</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

“</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>New York Daily Observer – Buddy Rose defeated Pedro Morales for the WWF Intercontinental Title (72).</strong> In what has to be considered by many to be a somewhat unusual affair, Pedro Morales has dropped his title after over two years. Rose –</p></div><p></p><p> “</p><p> </p><p>

“Okay, that’s enough. Any other news?”</p><p> </p><p>

“Cross-referencing for other WWF reports. There are three new feuds coming out of this week’s television tapings. Ivan Koloff vs. Andre the Giant, Jimmy Snuka vs Don Muraco, Pedro Morales & Bob Backlund vs. Rocky Johnson and S.D. Jones. Would you like more information, Booster?”</p><p> </p><p>

“Nah. What’s going on in the other promotions?”</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

“Scanning. One high priority item. From the Wrestling Observer – Dusty Rhodes Sidelined with Broken Metatarsal. Expected to be out 2 months.”</p><p> </p><p>

“Metatarsal… a freaking toe? He’s out for two months because of his toe? What in the hell?”</p><p> </p><p>

“I cannot answer questions on the metaphysical plane.”</p><p> </p><p>

“I…what?”</p><p> </p><p>

“Your query ‘What in the hell?’ cannot be answered through my memory banks.”</p><p> </p><p>

“Christ, you are impossible. Any hirings? Did Piper get signed anywhere else?”</p><p> </p><p>

“Searching – the following major signings have been found:</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">AWA hires Ric Flair, Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Von Erich, Adrian Street, Tito Santana</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">

WWC hires Ricky Steamboat</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">

NJPW hires Bobby Heenan</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">

AJW hires Bruno Sammartino</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Additionally, I have listings for two new workers on the rise and one new notable tag team: </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">Randy Savage and Terry Taylor tag team as The Lost Souls (CWA)</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">

On the Rise: Rick Link, Mascara Ano 2000</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

However, there is only one listing for designate ‘Piper’. He appears to have lost a tag team match:</p><p>

Jones and Black Bart defeated Piper and Parsons (73)”</p><p> </p><p>

“Sheila, how long are we going to have to wait to see if Piper actually gets hired by the WWF?”</p><p> </p><p>

“According to records in the previous timeline, your grandfather would have been brought in late in this year.”</p><p> </p><p>

“All right, well, let’s jump ahead, see if there’s any changes next week.”</p><p> </p><p>

“Confirmed. Initiatlizing a 7-day chronological displacement.”</p><p> </p><p>

The ship whirred to life once more and disappeared in the storm, leaving only a brief shadow in its wake. However, moments later, a second ship, a dark black oval, shimmered into existence just yards away from where the Time Sphere had appeared. For several moments it sat in a cold silence before dematerializing as abruptly as it had appeared.”</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:36px;">***</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p>

<strong><em>Other Title Changes:</em></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-Bob Orton Jr. and Crusher Bloomfield defeated Steamboat & Youngblood for the Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Titles (79)</p><p>

-Sgt. Slaughter defeated Carlos Colon for the WWC Universal Heavyweight Title (78)</p><p>

-Butch Miller defeated Dick Slater for the SWCW Heavyweight Title (78)</p><p> </p><p>

-Bob Roop defeated Barry Windham for the NWA Southern Heavyweight Title (71)</p><p> </p><p>

-Fuller and Golden defeated the Midnight Express for the NWA Southeastern Tag Team Titles (65)</p><p>

-Mark Rocco defeated Chic Cullen for the ASWUK Triple Crown Title (64)</p><p> </p><p>

-Dr. Wagner defeated El Faraoan for the NWA World Light Heavyweight Title (57)</p><p> </p><p>

-Bill Irwin defeated Bugsy McGraw for the NWA Brass Knuckles Title (50)</p><p>

-Wendi Richter defeated Candi Devine for the WWC Women's Title (47)</p><p> </p><p>

-Kerry Brown defeated Terry Sawyer for the British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Title (44)</p><p> </p><p>

-Indian War Party defeated Crews and Beefcake for the NWA Pacific Northwest Tag Team Titles (38)</p>

• 2 weeks later...

Archived