Comedy matches/products

I thought this deserved a thread rather than being a footnote somewhere.

I've rarely used comedy in the past but I'm very keen to try and do more with it. Has anyone had success using it as a major part of promotions? Can you run comedy-first feuds in promotions successfully? Which workers have you had great results with?

Do top-row stats have a major effect on comedy stats or is it more about the comedy gimmick rating and performance stats?

It seems like something really exploitable that I haven't really delved into. I recently ran a comedy match of Beast Bantom vs both Underdogs in 21CW which totally bombed so I'm keen to find out more.

A successful comedy match relies on the worker's comedy gimmick rating. Charisma also helps, but as far as I know it's not essential (though kinda goes hand in hand with people who're good at comedy gimmicks).

There's also some restriction based on workers who have Brute, Legitimate or Realistic gimmicks but I forget what it ended up being (I think it's just a penalty now, rather than flat out not working like previously).

Bantom and Michael X are as funny as cancer (and X is also painfully dull in general), and Bantom probably has a Brute gimmick. So that's probably why it didn't go so well.

Try The Underdogs vs. Ivan Ivanoff instead (for some reason Igor doesn't understand what comedy is).

<p>The company I started with (ZEN) is forced to have it as a major part. I pretty much keep to the one match per show that the audience requires. The best I've ever gotten for a comedy match is a C+ with my best comedy guys, who happen to also be my best regular workers and can put on B- and B Steal the Show matches. It definitely cares about some stats besides Comedy and popularity matters depending on your performance vs popularity bias.</p><p> </p><p>

I don't know how many you can reasonably fit in there, but a Comedy or Eye Candy match is a great midpoint for a show that allows you to essentially have two main event/steal the show type matches by virtue of cooling down the crowd for the second half of the event.</p>

It seems kinda tough to run a full-on comedy fed, since the matches can never go more than 10 minutes without penalties so are always capped, and they cool the crowd so you could never generate a real buzz.

The best I've had is an 83, out of guys who can easily put on 95+ in any other match I put them in.

It seems kinda tough to run a full-on comedy fed, since the matches can never go more than 10 minutes without penalties so are always capped, and they cool the crowd so you could never generate a real buzz.

The best I've had is an 83, out of guys who can easily put on 95+ in any other match I put them in.

A company with Comedy at Heavy or Key only requires one comedy match per card, it doesn't mean you can't have your guys go out and try to steal the show or anything.

Picking "Comedy" as the match aim, means that's the entire point of the match, to be a comedy bit to give the crowd a breather. If your product is Heavy or Key in Comedy, even a "Steal The Show" match would include aspects of comedy, it's just they would also be going out and putting on a stellar wrestling match to get the crowd rowdy at the same time they are throwing in lots of comedy.

Even in a Heavy or Key Comedy company, having every single match be "Comedy" would be extremely boring for the crowd, as a Comedy match aim doesn't tell the workers "you can include comedy" it means "focus primarily on the comedy, to give the crowd room to breath, at the expense of everything else." It's a given that all matches in a company with Comedy at Heavy or Key Feature will include some form of comedy, because that is what your fans are there to see.

Your product is what determines the actual content of the match, match aims tell the workers how to construct the match within the parameters of your company's product, to control the crowd, so they aren't mentally burnt out before the show is over.

A "Steal the Show" match in a company with Traditional and Realism at Heavy or Key Feature would be drastically different from a "Steal the Show" match in a company with Comedy and Modern at Heavy or Key Feature, even with the same workers involved, it's the reason top row stats can be less effective depending on the product. It's just that with a Comedy at Heavy+ the crowd expects a match that is wholly about the comedy at the expense of everything else, to give them room to breath and just have some fun.

Think of Match Aims as a more complex replacement to the Perfect Show Theory that was in the TEW of old rather that determining the specific content of the match, as the specifics of the match's content is determined by your product, Match Aim just tells the workers to focus on certain aspects a bit more, to get the desired reaction from the crowd. It's more complex, but allows you far more precision and control than the PST allowed.

Like, "Wild Brawl", "High Spots", "Technical Masterclass", "Car Crash", etc. do tell the workers to focus more on a certain aspects of the match and work a specific style, but it's with the specific purpose of controlling the crowd.

--

tl;dr Not all matches on the card for a company with Comedy at Heavy+ needs to be a literal "Comedy" match, because all matches will have comedy regardless, match aims just tell your workers to structure a match in a certain way to get the desired crowd reaction.

Archived