Open mat

I was watching Ganryujima highlights on YouTube and it ocurred to me that WMMA could have an open mat option, along with the ring and cage options. If you get thrown out of the mat three times you lose the fight in Ganryujima. It would be a new ruleset and a different type of promotion, which would be hard to implement but interesting.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Iwasfn47" data-cite="Iwasfn47" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44674" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm curious, Adam, or anyone else that knows. What type of surface are world championships/olympics held on for wrestling/judo/etc.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Wrestling - Vinyl matting</p><p> </p><p> Judo - foam matting </p><p> </p><p> Boxing - canvas over wood (and a thin layer of foam)</p><p> </p><p> MMA - either canvas or vinyl over wood (and a think layer of foam). Canvas absorbs blood/sweat/water almost instantly, but you can't clean the blood stains off between fights/rounds. Vinyl you can clean up/disinfect between rounds so it's better for hygiene and looks better on TV, but you need guys running in to do the job. </p><p> </p><p> Smaller MMA promotions will tend to use vinyl because it's good as new for every show, whereas canvas needs replacing after every show. At Cage Warriors we have to use vinyl as we have a requirement to disinfect the cage completely between amateur and pro bouts (pros have to be blood tested on certain shows in the UK for blood-borne diseases whereas amateurs currently don't). Also our TV partners were keen for there not to be blood stains all over the mat at the start of the broadcast. </p><p> </p><p> On the regional show I run in the north of England, we have a cool custom vinyl that we just couldn't afford to replace after every show.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44674" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Wrestling - Vinyl matting<p> </p><p> Judo - foam matting </p><p> </p><p> Boxing - canvas over wood (and a thin layer of foam)</p><p> </p><p> MMA - either canvas or vinyl over wood (and a think layer of foam). Canvas absorbs blood/sweat/water almost instantly, but you can't clean the blood stains off between fights/rounds. Vinyl you can clean up/disinfect between rounds so it's better for hygiene and looks better on TV, but you need guys running in to do the job. </p><p> </p><p> Smaller MMA promotions will tend to use vinyl because it's good as new for every show, whereas canvas needs replacing after every show. At Cage Warriors we have to use vinyl as we have a requirement to disinfect the cage completely between amateur and pro bouts (pros have to be blood tested on certain shows in the UK for blood-borne diseases whereas amateurs currently don't). Also our TV partners were keen for there not to be blood stains all over the mat at the start of the broadcast. </p><p> </p><p> On the regional show I run in the north of England, we have a cool custom vinyl that we just couldn't afford to replace after every show.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> I appreciate the detailed answer, and I should've been more specific, I meant in the game.</p>

Archived