Have you ever replaced a gimmick with another wrestler after the original left?

Like WWF did with Hall and Nash? I ask because I just did this for the first time in 87 save. I'm running WCW (went in the editor and changed JCP to WCW early) and had The Road Warriors as my tag champs. Well Animal was not happy with losing in a couple of main event PPV matches against The Horsemen in War Games and another match and handed his notice in. Now my tag division was pretty weak but young so I decided to sign The Warrior and make him the new Road Warrior Animal. So far it's been decent but he's always the weak link in my tag title matches, they just dropped the titles to The Rockers in a 87 rated match though.

Don't think this is really what you're talking about but Sin Cara walked out while being cruiserweight tag champ with Kalisto so I just gave the title to Lince Dorado and they became the Lucha Dragons 2.0

I did the same exact thing with The Bar when Cesaro went out with an injury for a couple months.. I had Bobby Lashley replace him as a tag champ along with Sheamus to literally become "The Bar 2.0", and then when Cesaro came back he got his spot back as champ and Lashley went on to do a different program.

i've done this with masked characters several times, either because I soured on a worker or an injury. The guy I originally brought in to be Camo Beetle in my tverse game went down for over a year. A while later I signed Buzzard and made him the new Camo Beetle

This led to one of my favorite moments in TEW history for myself. So I was running WCW in 1997 and I wanted to do the Dreamer-Raven Feud because the Dreamer-Raven Feud is great but I couldn't get Terry Funk because he signed with the WWF so the rivalry ended up being Tommy Dreamer and Randy Savage Vs Perry Saturn and Raven.

I've done other stuff like making

Larry Zbyszko the fourth horseman but that seems normal compared to Dreamer/Savage.

Unrelated to anything outside of the cornellverse...

One time I made a Lucha Underground rip off called gods of grappling. I had a character for American Elemental II because, eh. He surprisingly became a huge negative backstage influence, along with Logan Wolfsbaine, so I fired them both and gave the gimmick to Dustin Deuce who was in development at the time.

But the fact the pop doesn’t transfer meant the second version had to go through a lot of talent to be relevant, so I just had the character die in kayfabe, and reintroduced deuce later as himself.

Funny you should ask, in a game I started last month I hired Big Titan (Rick Bogner (sp?), aka Fake Razor Ramon) as USWA but didn't want to use his Big Titan gimmick, so I put him under a (hockey) mask, gave him Downtown Bruno as a mouthpiece, and made him the newest Lord Humongous instead. He was actually pretty successful as a monster heel smashing over jobbers in squash matches and being a threat to guys like Jeff Jarrett and The King.

Magnum T.A. never had his accident in 1986 in my save, and since I hate Hogan and never sign him, Magnum get the Hogan gimmick. But not the goofy Hogan the WWF had, I had a more real one, NWA style. In 1996 he will turn heel and become Hollywood T.A. and be the leader of the nWo.

Yeah, had a spot on the roster for a job guy that was masked so the identity was concealed. I always made it an extremely talented dude with no intentions of a push. Once somebody else would sign them, I'd grab another guy off the heap. Ran through 5 in three years

I'll see your example and raise you one. ;)

I was playing a 1994 WWE save.

Come 1997 I wanted to hire Mick Foley to do the Mankind thing...but he wouldnt sign.

It occurred to me that Gary Albright had a close enough look, and since I was making Kevin Sullivan the manager he'd be OK.

After 2 matches she showed up high on drugs and I cut him.

4 weeks later, I really really really wanted to do the Mankind story line.

I looked at some stats and it occurred to me that 1997 Johnny Ace would fit the bill! So HE got the gimmick...!

I'll see your example and raise you one. ;)

I was playing a 1994 WWE save.

Come 1997 I wanted to hire Mick Foley to do the Mankind thing...but he wouldnt sign.

It occurred to me that Gary Albright had a close enough look, and since I was making Kevin Sullivan the manager he'd be OK.

After 2 matches she showed up high on drugs and I cut him.

4 weeks later, I really really really wanted to do the Mankind story line.

I looked at some stats and it occurred to me that 1997 Johnny Ace would fit the bill! So HE got the gimmick...!

I've made Johnny Ace a Road Warrior replacement but never would've thought to make him Mankind....that just seems dirty lol.

<< I've made Johnny Ace a Road Warrior replacement but never would've thought to make him Mankind....that just seems dirty lol. >>

Right?! I sorta stumbled over it. I looked for brawlers with decent mic/charisma skills, and he showed up on the list. I was like "well...no one's using him, why not?" And so it was.

<p>I did this in my PSW game - I had a masked face I was planning to unmask at a fixed point.</p><p> </p><p>

It started out as Alicia Strong under the mask, getting high ratings. So far, so good.</p><p> </p><p>

Too good, in fact - she got poached. Still, mask, right? So I brought in Joanne Rodriguez, she worked a couple of shows, did well... and got poached too.</p><p> </p><p>

By this point I was a couple of months away from the big reveal, so I brought in Grace Harper, gambling on her popularity carrying her segments... It didn't really work, as she was starting to hit time decline and her match ratings never came close to Strong or J-Ro.</p><p> </p><p>

Shame, really, as the storyline was a good one; Strong or J-Ro unmasking would have been a <em>much</em> better finish to it.</p>

Archived