Board/card/tabletop games

moon_lit_tears

So we have a video game thread, but I’m interested to know what types of games you guys play.

I personally collect and play a lot of games. My current rotation is Munchkin, Gloomhaven, Ninja burger, and flux.

I play a bit of magic, and Star Wars Destiny.

Anything interesting you guys are playing?

<p>I have several board games, but I prefer the ones with exclusively card components (I guess they are rather "card games" then).</p><p> </p><p>

I have Epic, Star Realms, DC deck building, LCG's (LotR, StarWars, AGOT, Netrunner), old CCG's (Warlord, Buffy, WoW),...</p><p> </p><p>

I used to play Magic but I don't anymore. The vocal community has seemingly become toxic as well as it's full of SJW's and - apparently - pedo's.</p><p> </p><p>

I also picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse on a recommendation from Adam and it's a blast to play on a tabletop. I have the digital version as well which is cheaper to get if you want all the expansions, but it's just not the same.</p><p> </p><p>

That being said, I generally play digital versions as it's just more manageable than kilos of cardboard.</p>

<p>I can definitely recommend <strong>Sentinels of the Multiverse</strong>. The final expansion came out two weeks ago, so if you're a collector you have the advantage of knowing that there is an end point, unlike some games where they just keep pumping out content. The video game version is also extremely good, it's probably the most faithful representation of a board game I've ever seen and has the advantage that you don't have to store thousands of cards!</p><p> </p><p>

If you like Munchkin and Flux, <strong>Norsaga</strong> is one you might want to check out. It's a quick, fun game for 3-4 players and is really nicely designed and presented. Plus the creators seem to be really good people.</p><p> </p><p>

I haven't played it as I'm waiting for the video game version, but <strong>Spirit Island</strong> has been getting a lot of great reviews and may be worth checking out, although it's a bit on the expensive side if you're outside of North America.</p><p> </p><p>

I also really like the Catan games, especially <strong>Rivals of Catan</strong> which is their really cool two player version. With the expansions, it can get very strategic and in-depth.</p>

<p>I used to play Magic the Gathering, but now I only play MTG Arena, for time purposes. Ditto on the used to play for Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 and Pathfinder 1st edition.</p><p> </p><p>

I don't get a chance to play a lot of games, but I help design them with <a href="http://www.tripticgaming.com" rel="external nofollow">Triptic Gaming</a>. We're hoping to launch something by the end of the year through Kickstarter.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I can definitely recommend <strong>Sentinels of the Multiverse</strong>. The final expansion came out two weeks ago, so if you're a collector you have the advantage of knowing that there is an end point, unlike some games where they just keep pumping out content. The video game version is also extremely good, it's probably the most faithful representation of a board game I've ever seen and has the advantage that you don't have to store thousands of cards!</div></blockquote>. I’ve tried the steam version and I’ve enjoyed it a great deal. <p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If you like Munchkin and Flux, <strong>Norsaga</strong> is one you might want to check out. It's a quick, fun game for 3-4 players and is really nicely designed and presented. Plus the creators seem to be really good people.</div></blockquote> I looked at this on YouTube after seeing this post, and sadly it’s color based. Being colorblind I have trouble with that, which stinks because I’d love to get into this game. <p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I haven't played it as I'm waiting for the video game version, but <strong>Spirit Island</strong> has been getting a lot of great reviews and may be worth checking out, although it's a bit on the expensive side if you're outside of North America</div></blockquote>. I’ll look it up, not sure how expensive is a bit, but I’ve gotten Gloomhaven which was $140. The Pathfinser game which base is $60 and the six expansions at $20 each. I guess I could have worse addictions than games and dice.

Oh, it's nowhere near Gloomhaven levels of expense - it's more like $80 if I remember correctly, plus $30ish for the expansion pack. That's a little too expensive for me, particularly after the last Sentinels kickstarter was so expensive, so I'm waiting for the video game that's coming out in a year or two - it's by the same people who did the Sentinels game, so I have high hopes for its quality.

Waiting for my daughters to get a bit older so they can play Lords of Waterdeep, Spendor, Betrayal at House on the Hill and Dominion. Might try King of Tokyo with the older one sometime.

I did Kickstart the Plague Inc board game, but it's still in its wrapper...

<p>Let's see....</p><p> </p><p>

Yomi - imagine Street Fighter using playing cards...each card has an option on both ends...choices are attack, block, dodge, or throw...paper/rock/scissors mechanics and varied characters/play styles...digital version is cheaper and provides a good sampling before diving into the physical version</p><p> </p><p>

Thanos Rising - #stopthesnap. Fun cooperative game where each player has a role to play in helping stop the Mad Titan from getting all of the stones</p><p> </p><p>

Was in to Dice Masters a few years ago but got burned out on the amount of content coming out</p><p> </p><p>

Picked up Dice Throne recently. Looks good. 6 characters that play differently. Has cards, dice, upgrades, etc</p><p> </p><p>

One Deck Dungeon - fun solo or group game.</p><p> </p><p>

Star Realms - keep coming back to the digital version...fun and free</p>

Oh, it's nowhere near Gloomhaven levels of expense - it's more like $80 if I remember correctly, plus $30ish for the expansion pack. That's a little too expensive for me, particularly after the last Sentinels kickstarter was so expensive, so I'm waiting for the video game that's coming out in a year or two - it's by the same people who did the Sentinels game, so I have high hopes for its quality.

I have Sentinals on steam and it’s pretty great. Does the physical game play pretty much the same?

As fir Gloomhaven, it’s pretty expensive, but it’s well worth it if you like living games.

Board games have become my main hobby in the last couple of years. Spirit island is amazing, probably my favourite. I can see how it looks a little expensive but there's so much game in the box. A wonderful brain burn.

I'm also a fan of Zombicide (the streamlined minis game I always wanted as a kid) Pandemic (the wife loves the Legacy versions where you open mystery boxes between games) and Street Masters, which is heavily inspired by Sentinels of the Multiverse, only with miniatures and a knock off Street Fighter theme. Hasn't hit retail yet but I'm digging it.

I definitely fell deep down this rabbit hole.

I have Sentinals on steam and it’s pretty great. Does the physical game play pretty much the same?

It's identical - they did an amazing job of keeping things the same. Of course, the video game has the addition of music and the major advantage that it does all the book-keeping and shuffling for you, but the physical game has the advantage of being better for group play and it always being nice to have the cards in your hand.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Spirit island is amazing, probably my favourite. I can see how it looks a little expensive but there's so much game in the box. A wonderful brain burn.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Have you done solo play with it? If so, is it an enjoyable experience or does it pale in comparison to group play?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Have you done solo play with it? If so, is it an enjoyable experience or does it pale in comparison to group play?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm nearing 100 plays of it, and most of those have been solo. I have a lot of fun both ways.</p><p> </p><p> The real choice is whether you want to solo as one spirit or two. Playing as a single spirit is definitely a smaller experience. Quicker. Smaller island. I played it that way for the first 40 games, getting to grips with different styles etc. Nowadays I'll always play with 2+ at once. Takes ages and I needed to learn the game properly before it was feasible, but now it's a great puzzle. </p><p> </p><p> I can take or leave the expansion.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Have you done solo play with it? If so, is it an enjoyable experience or does it pale in comparison to group play?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I know you were asking about a particular game. But in my experience, the answer to this on a general level is typically how well it plays with two. I'm the youngest in the family and grew up with a wide age gap between my siblings and me. So I often ended up having to play games right hand vs left or person vs stuffed animal. Many times that was the only way I could play board games because my parents weren't really gamers and I couldn't count on the sibs not to be busy with older kid stuff. So unless a game calls on certain players to know stuff and others not like a Clue or a Codenames, I can pretty comfortably play any two person game solo. Of course, I can see mileage varying based on family positioning.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="cappyboy" data-cite="cappyboy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know you were asking about a particular game. But in my experience, the answer to this on a general level is typically how well it plays with two. I'm the youngest in the family and grew up with a wide age gap between my siblings and me. So I often ended up having to play games right hand vs left or person vs stuffed animal. Many times that was the only way I could play board games because my parents weren't really gamers and I couldn't count on the sibs not to be busy with older kid stuff. So unless a game calls on certain players to know stuff and others not like a Clue or a Codenames, I can pretty comfortably play any two person game solo. Of course, I can see mileage varying based on family positioning.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Solo board games are definitely becoming more of a thing these days, with more and more designers offering solo play right out of the box. With no need to play both sides or stuffed animals necessary. Cooperative games lend themselves well to solo play, but even cutthroat competitive titles are starting to add AI opponents to their games. With mixed results, but it's a cool direction to see it go in. I only buy games that can be solo'd (so I get my money's worth) and I'm still spoilt for choice these days.</p>

<p>I solo LotR lcg but it’s got a pretty hefty cognitive load in the sense you fear mistakes made bc the sheer anount of cards on the table. </p><p> </p><p>

Bgg has solo rules for lots of games like DC deckbuilding. You can solo Sentinels but its just as hard playing 5 decks and keeping track of everything. </p><p> </p><p>

The only true solo game I own is Friday. It’s all right.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I solo LotR lcg but it’s got a pretty hefty cognitive load in the sense you fear mistakes made bc the sheer anount of cards on the table. <p> </p><p> Bgg has solo rules for lots of games like DC deckbuilding. You can solo Sentinels but its just as hard playing 5 decks and keeping track of everything. </p><p> </p><p> The only true solo game I own is Friday. It’s all right.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Have you tried the Pathfinder card games? They are pretty fun solo. If you want there is an app that you can download for free and play to see if you like it.</p><p> </p><p> It takes a little set up, like most games, but it's fun. You can run just one or you can run two. The fact it's co-op makes it easy to run two at a time.</p>

Solo board games are definitely becoming more of a thing these days, with more and more designers offering solo play right out of the box. With no need to play both sides or stuffed animals necessary. Cooperative games lend themselves well to solo play, but even cutthroat competitive titles are starting to add AI opponents to their games. With mixed results, but it's a cool direction to see it go in. I only buy games that can be solo'd (so I get my money's worth) and I'm still spoilt for choice these days.

Certainly good to know. And thankfully my family, even my mom, is much freer and more open to gaming than they used to be. But I doubt you'll ever hear me complaining about playing a two person game solo. Just picked up Qwirkle recently and did a playing both sides game to make sure I could explain it before introducing it to the family. Had a blast doing so as it made a great personal puzzle,

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moon_lit_tears" data-cite="moon_lit_tears" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Have you tried the Pathfinder card games? They are pretty fun solo. If you want there is an app that you can download for free and play to see if you like it.<p> </p><p> It takes a little set up, like most games, but it's fun. You can run just one or you can run two. The fact it's co-op makes it easy to run two at a time.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have that, yes. Bought it twice on both Android and Steam. <span class="ipsEmoji">😁</span></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45721" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have that, yes. Bought it twice on both Android and Steam. <span class="ipsEmoji">😁</span></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Me too! I forget who it was from here but told me about the humble bundle that gave 40 treasure boxes. So I git two. That helped boost my stash. Thankfully I was able to keep them when I switched to steam.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I also got some, but those lootboxes don't really make much difference in the end, unless you want to 100% the game, which I currently have no interest in. </p><p> </p><p>

After getting back to this thread I played another Sentinels game on Steam. It's still fun. They did as good as job as can be to make it someone manageable for 1P playing 4 heroes. There's 100's of custom weekly challenges now to keep anyone entertained for weeks.</p>

<p>I don't have a lot of friends around me(most of them are on other nations or states) so I have always fancied solo board games. Arkham Horror series is just fantastic to play solo with a bit of roleplaying and imagination. I do enjoy the eurogames too but I don't like the kind that are so heavy on maths it became solitaire.</p><p> </p><p>

Asides from board game, which I liked but has limited chance to play physically(and digitally, I don't support tabletop simulator "non-official" mods which I consider piracy and the legal platform in Tabletopia has too few players to find games most of the time), I played a lot of digital card games and I do play a heck lot of tabletop RPGs online in sites like Myth-weaver and RPGCrossing. Writing and RPing online actually helped me a lot in learning English. I used to suck balls in English in 7th grade and now it has became an efficient second language.</p>

Archived