Smokey Mountain Wrestling- The New Partnership

<p>2 big notes, I've moved the weekly taping of SMW TV to Wednesday nights, as it is the only night that the entire roster is available. It will air on Thursday afternoons.</p><p> </p><p>

Also, I have decided to bring back the SMW big event for July, SMW Summer Blast. It will be a 2 hour show and take place live on Saturday, Week 4 of July.</p>

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong>SMW TV</strong></p><p><strong> Wednesday, Week 2, July 1994</strong></p><p><strong> Mobile Civic Center- Mobile, AL</strong></p><p><strong> Show Attendance: 2,000</strong></p><p><strong> Show Announcers: Bob Caudle and ????</strong></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Segment 1</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As the show opened, <strong>Bob Caudle</strong> was at the broadcast booth by himself. He said he was sad to announce that Jim Cornette would no longer be joining him, but that he would like to introduce his new broadcast partner. He was young, hungry, and ready to work. Caudle then introduced his new color commentator, <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Corey Maclin!</span></strong> (46)</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Segment 2</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The first match of the evening took place between <strong>The Thrillseekers</strong> and <strong>The Gangstas</strong>. This was a decent match between 2 young teams, and the crowd really loved it. New Jack and Chris Jericho stole the show for their teams, so it was only fitting that both of them were involved in the decision, as <em>Jericho got New Jack in the Liontamer and forced him to tap out at the 14:07 mark</em>, giving the Thrillseekers the early edge in the top contenders tournament. (59)</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Segment 3</span></strong></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> <strong>Jim Cornette</strong> then came out to a roar of approval from the crowd. He said that <strong>Jake Roberts</strong> was completely out of line last week, and that as the new SMW General Manager, things were going to change. He mentioned the first big live show under "The Prodigy" era, set to take place in just over a couple weeks. He said that Roberts will defend his title at the show, but that he wasn't going to be bullied by a bully. Cornette said that Roberts will know who his opponent is if and when Cornette decides to tell him! (70)</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Segment 4</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Our 2nd match of the evening was an <span style="text-decoration:underline;">SMW Beat the Champ Television Title Match</span> between the current champion <strong>Tracy Smothers</strong> and challenger <strong>Bruiser Bedlam</strong>. Another decent match, but again it was the former Young Pistol coming out on top as he <em>hit Bruiser Bedlam with a Jaw Jacker to get the pin at the 7:14 mark</em>. That is defense #2 of the Beat the Champ Television Title for Smothers.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Segment 5</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>After the match, <strong>Jake Roberts</strong> came out and attacked Smother, brutalizing him with several DDTs. He then laid his patented snake on top of Smothers and ripped the mic away from the ring announcer. "Cornette, you wanna play games with a snake? That, my friend, is the worst mistake you can possibly make. For every week that you don't tell me who my next opponent is, there will be another victim. You don't cut the head off of a snake, and you certainly don't leave a snake in suspense." Roberts left the ring with his snake, and a loud chorus of boos, completing his heel turn, which was a complete success. (62)</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Segment 6</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Our main event of the evening saw a grudge match between <strong>Dirty White Boy</strong> and <strong>Scott Stud</strong>. DWB wanted to make it clear that Stud needed to stay away from <strong>Dirty White Girl</strong>, who did not accompany DWB to the ring. This match had excellent heat and decent wrestling, and Stud was in control until DWG came to ringside. DWB and DWG then proceeded to argue and Stud tried to get in between. Big mistake. With referee "The Prodigy" trying to get DWG off the ring apron, <em>DWB hit Stud with a low blow and rolled him up for a cheap victory at the 16:43 mark</em>, ending the show standing over Stud, telling him to "stay away from my woman!" (47)</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Final Show Rating: 54</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Thoughts from the Prodigy</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> Another disappointing show, in my eyes. This weeks rating was even lower than last weeks, and we lost popularity in 1 region, probably the Southeast. Look, I'm not saying that I ever expect SMW to be better than a regional company, but I'd at least like to feel like I'm putting on better shows. There's also a few problems with the top 3 contenders storyline that will be addressed in the weekly news recap. Maybe I'm expecting too much, I know the people in attendance loved the show, but I'm still not happy. Guys, am I expecting too much. I'm just a lowly 13 year old kid (total kayfabe, I'm much older in real life, although I really was 13 in 1994). I just want better.</p>

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">July 1994, Week 2 News and Notes</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-- There are 2 incidents that have completely thrown the tag team contender round robin into complete chaos. First, New Jack has given his notice and will be leaving the company at the end of the week. When Mike "The Prodigy" Schaplowsky tried to offer him a contract extension, New Jack said thanks but no thanks. Because of this, the Thrillseekers went over the Gangstas this week. The original plan was for the Gangstas to win. With New Jack being gone, and no word on what Mustapha Saed is going to do, the Gangstas are out of the 3 team round robin #1 contender tournament. Taking their place will be a team to be announced, but all indications point to Well Dunn getting the nod.</p><p> </p><p>

-- Adding to the disarray is the fact that a botch move from New Jack caused Chris Jericho to suffered a bruised pectoral muscle. Jericho is expected to take about 19 days to recover, but plans to work through the injury. Whether the Prodigy will allow him to is another story. Also yet to be determined is how this will shake up the 3 team tournament. </p><p> </p><p>

-- The Prodigy is currently seeking a full time road agent for SMW. For the past 2 shows, he has had longtime veterans Bob Armstrong and Dory Funk Jr. helping with matches, but both have said they would rather remain active wrestlers. </p><p> </p><p>

-- The change in time slots and day being shown was very harmful to SMW this week, as this weeks edition of SMW TV drew just a .05 rating.</p><p> </p><p>

-- Right before the week ended, SMW owner "The Prodigy" worked out an interesting deal with Villano I to become a road agent for SMW. This one has a lot of people puzzled and feels like a rushed deal, but we'll see how it goes. It is said that Villano I will be the road agent for all matches on the tv show next week, but that The Prodigy is still looking for a 2nd road agent.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RyanR93WKU" data-cite="RyanR93WKU" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Match Card<p> </p><p> <strong>Dirty White Boy</strong> vs. Scott Stud</p><p> Comments: I think Dirty White Boy is a top player and he needs a win as he was one of the top guys in this company over it's time. Hoping you stay with the originals for awhile before adding guys.</p><p> </p><p> The Thrillseekers vs. <strong>The Gangstas</strong></p><p><strong> </strong>Comments: Two great teams hard to pick against the Thrillseekers but the Gangstas are hot right now.</p><p> </p><p> SMW Beat the Champ TV Title Match</p><p> <strong>Tracey Smothers ©</strong> vs. Bruiser Bedlam</p><p> Comments: Are you keeping the tradition where the Champion gets a title match after so many wins?</p><p> </p><p> Diary Comments: Looking forward to the direction of this diary. I recall during this time where Jake was champion he was probably going to face Dirty White Boy at Night of Legends in a Snake Pit Match. I'm glad you are keeping Roberts and hope he stays clean and available for you because there are so many options for him.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> To answer your questions, I did sign 2 new members to the roster that I expect will have a fairly big role at some point. </p><p> </p><p> As far as Roberts goes, I'll be honest, my plan was to let his contract expire. He's costing me over $3,000 a show. But, in seeing that the company has tripled in money, going from $10,000 to $31,000 already (likely due to the alliance I formed with USWA and the "pot sharing"), I'm going to keep him around. So far drugs haven't been an issues, he hasn't shown up under the influence on either show. He is in a pretty big storyline right now, so I hope he stays clean. If he doesn't, I may have to rethink plans again. I think, if I remember right, sending to rehab won't be an option since he's on a PPA contract.</p><p> </p><p> To the last point, I did look up the history of the SMW TV title, and did see where 5 defenses was the most a wrestler could make before vacating the title. Didn't say anything about an SMW Title shot though (I looked on Wikipedia, so who knows if the info was correct or not). I do have a plan for that, which will be revealed on the next show. Thanks for reading and commenting.</p>

<p>That's weird that you could only hold it for so long. I guess it was more because of the transitory nature of a lot of his talent at the time. I was at the wrong end of the state (and busy in college still at the wrong end of the state of KY) to ever get to watch SMW.</p><p> </p><p>

One thing I'll point out solely because money is such a huge issue. You don't actually have to have an assigned road agent. Bullet Bob and Dory Funk Jr. (though I imagine he can't be cheap) could still be wrestlers and do the RA in every match they're not in as I imagine they're great enough at it to give you a bonus to the matches. Honestly, I thought that's why you took Cornette off of commentary to have him do it, though I don't remember what stats he has in that mod, and I can't remember if you can RA and be on the announce team. But in my 1985 WCW game, I have Flair and Dusty (UC, so free though I'm using both 100% of the time) do all the Road Agenting.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="smartman" data-cite="smartman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's weird that you could only hold it for so long. I guess it was more because of the transitory nature of a lot of his talent at the time. I was at the wrong end of the state (and busy in college still at the wrong end of the state of KY) to ever get to watch SMW.<p> </p><p> One thing I'll point out solely because money is such a huge issue. You don't actually have to have an assigned road agent. Bullet Bob and Dory Funk Jr. (though I imagine he can't be cheap) could still be wrestlers and do the RA in every match they're not in as I imagine they're great enough at it to give you a bonus to the matches. Honestly, I thought that's why you took Cornette off of commentary to have him do it, though I don't remember what stats he has in that mod, and I can't remember if you can RA and be on the announce team. But in my 1985 WCW game, I have Flair and Dusty (UC, so free though I'm using both 100% of the time) do all the Road Agenting.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I never really watched SMW either. I know that WWE Network has very few episodes of SMW TV available. Of the ones I watched, I can honestly say I wasn't overly impressed, but that doesn't mean there aren't good episodes out there.</p><p> </p><p> I have been rotating between Cornette, Bullet Bob, and Dory as my road agents, and I will continue to get them in the mix. After all, they are already on the payroll, so I might as well use them, because they won't be wrestling much. Now I'm really starting to regret signing Villano I to be the assigned road agent. Oh well.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Match Card<p> </p><p> Dirty White Boy vs. Scott Stud</p><p> Comments: Dirty White Boy</p><p> </p><p> The Thrillseekers vs. The Gangstas</p><p> Comments: I think this will end in some sort of no contest </p><p> </p><p> SMW Beat the Champ TV Title Match</p><p> Tracey Smothers © vs. Bruiser Bedlam</p><p> Comments: Smothers</p><p> </p><p> Diary Comments: Woth the exception of the release of Mark Curtis (I understand the UC is the ref, i just love Mark curtis) and the East Tennessee legend Ron Wright, I’m enjoying it. SMW has a soft spot in my southern ‘rasslin loving heart.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I appreciate your input. I did try to hire Mark Curtis back, but unfortunately his morale is too low to come back and work, so I really screwed up with that. Had I known that in my first 2 weeks, my available money would triple, I definitely would not have released anybody. Well, live and learn, I'm not gonna go back and start over, I'll just have to go with what I got.</p>

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">SMW TV (July Week 3, 1994) Preview</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-- With his partner out of the company now, <strong>Mustapha Saed</strong> will go the singles route. He was drawn to challenge <strong>Tracy Smothers</strong> in this weeks SMW Beat the Champ TV Championship match.</p><p> </p><p>

-- <strong>Chris Candido and Brian Lee</strong> will be on SMW TV for the first time in a non-title match against <strong>Al Snow and Bobby Blaze</strong>.</p><p> </p><p>

-- There have been questions regarding just how the SMW Beat the Champ TV Title is going to work going forward, and SMW General Manager <strong>Jim Cornette</strong> will be on hand to go over the new rules and stipulations for this belt.</p><p> </p><p>

-- <strong>Jake Roberts</strong> is still on the warpath. Will Cornette announce his next title defense tonight, or will "The Snake" slither up on someone else?</p><p> </p><p>

-- The <strong>Dirty White Boy</strong>, <strong>Dirty White Girl</strong>, <strong>Scott Stud</strong> triangle had some interesting developments last week. What will happen this week between the 3?</p><p> </p><p>

-- <strong>Well Dunn</strong> has in fact been announced as the heel tag team to take the place of the Gangstas in the 3 team round robin tournament to determine a #1 contender for the SMW Tag Team Titles. They will take on the <strong>Rock N' Roll Express</strong> this week. Jim Cornette has announced that since Well Dunn lost to the Armstrongs 2 weeks ago, they will start this tournament 0-1, and will need to beat the Express to stay alive.</p><p> </p><p>

-- Apparently, there was an incident between the 2 families of SMW, as the Funks and Armstrongs tried to lay claim on the SMW territory. <strong>Bob Armstrong</strong> and <strong>Dory Funk Jr.</strong> will step into the ring this week to battle it out in an exciting SMW TV Main Event.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Match Card</span></p><p> </p><p>

Non-Title Match</p><p>

Brian Lee and Chris Candido vs. Al Snow and Bobby Blaze</p><p>

Comments:</p><p> </p><p>

Well Dunn vs. The Rock n' Roll Express</p><p>

SMW Beat the Champ TV Title Match</p><p>

Tracy Smothers © vs. Mustapha Saed</p><p>

Dory Funk Jr. vs. "Bullet" Bob Armstrong</p><p>

If all goes well, I will be running this show sometime tomorrow, late morning or early afternoon, so get those predictions and comments in soon.</p>

<p>Match Card</p><p> </p><p>

Non-Title Match</p><p>

<strong>Brian Lee and Chris Candido</strong> vs. Al Snow and Bobby Blaze</p><p>

Well Dunn vs. <strong>The Rock n' Roll Express</strong></p><p>

<strong>Tracy Smothers</strong> © vs. Mustapha Saed</p><p>

Dory Funk Jr. vs. <strong>"Bullet" Bob Armstrong</strong></p><p>

I'd have a backup plan in line with Jake as champ. He is liable to show up any show not in shape to compete. With his contract size, is their anyone out there that is unsigned at this point that could take his spot? I know he has good in ring and pop but its a slippery slope sadly.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Theheel" data-cite="Theheel" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Match Card<p> </p><p> Non-Title Match</p><p> <strong>Brian Lee and Chris Candido</strong> vs. Al Snow and Bobby Blaze</p><p> Comments:</p><p> </p><p> Well Dunn vs. <strong>The Rock n' Roll Express</strong></p><p> Comments:</p><p> </p><p> SMW Beat the Champ TV Title Match</p><p> <strong>Tracy Smothers</strong> © vs. Mustapha Saed</p><p> Comments:</p><p> </p><p> Dory Funk Jr. vs. <strong>"Bullet" Bob Armstrong</strong></p><p> Comments:</p><p> </p><p> I'd have a backup plan in line with Jake as champ. He is liable to show up any show not in shape to compete. With his contract size, is their anyone out there that is unsigned at this point that could take his spot? I know he has good in ring and pop but its a slippery slope sadly.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's for that reason that I originally wasn't planning on renewing his contract. I went ahead and did, and so far he's been fine, but it's only been 2 weeks, and he hasn't had an actual match yet. I'm hoping that sending him to rehab will be an option if I need to, but I have a feeling it won't. I don't recall, but I think that option is only available for workers under written contract.</p><p> </p><p> As of now I don't have a backup plan, but I am definitely going to be looking.</p>

Non-Title Match</p><p>

<strong>Brian Lee and Chris Candido</strong> vs. Al Snow and Bobby Blaze</p><p>

Comments: This match is basically the future of your company if you use them right and keep them. </p><p> </p><p>

Comments: Rock n' Roll Express I see winning it all but hope they can pass the torch down the road to the Thrillseekers as the top face tag team. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tracy Smothers ©</strong> vs. Mustapha Saed</p><p>

Comments: Smothers wins as Saed fades out unless you can find a replacement for New Jack. I would recommend a young D'Lo Brown (AC Connors) who was with them at some point.</p><p> </p><p>

Comments: This should be a great match I look for Roberts to attack Armstrong. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

And to echo the warnings above do not trust Jake Roberts. He can and will show up unable to work or not at all. Glad he has kept clean so far but he's due. So always have a back up plan for him and possibly be thinking about a new top guy for the future. Roberts won't last forever along with guys like Dory Funk, Rock n' Roll, and Bob Armstrong who are all closer to retirement than their prime.</p>

Non-Title Match</p><p>

<strong>Brian Lee and Chris Candido </strong>vs. Al Snow and Bobby Blaze</p><p>

<strong>Tracy Smothers ©</strong> vs. Mustapha Saed</p><p>

Comments:There is no way on God's green earth that Mustapha is getting the belt here. </p><p> </p><p>

Comments:</p>

To the last point, I did look up the history of the SMW TV title, and did see where 5 defenses was the most a wrestler could make before vacating the title. Didn't say anything about an SMW Title shot though (I looked on Wikipedia, so who knows if the info was correct or not). I do have a plan for that, which will be revealed on the next show. Thanks for reading and commenting.

That's weird that you could only hold it for so long. I guess it was more because of the transitory nature of a lot of his talent at the time. I was at the wrong end of the state (and busy in college still at the wrong end of the state of KY) to ever get to watch SMW.

So, as a big SMW fan, the TV Title was modeled after some TV titles from, I believe, the early 60s. (Cornette has talked about it a length during one of the conversations he had about SMW on a podcast). The idea being, that you got a $1,000 purse for each title win and defense and maxed out at $5,000. Part of it was the transitory nature of the talent, but part of it was Cornette's attempt to have a championship that was defended every week that had a built in stake so that he could do a variety of different combinations. It also allowed him to bounce the title around without it losing prestige and gave him a reason to have guys like Tracy Smothers, The Dirty White Boy, etc... challenge for it, because there was a cash bonus associated with winning and holding it.

You're doing good work, sportsfanmas. If it helps, the Funks were never fulltime members of the SMW roster, they occasionally made appearances for Cornette, but he didn't use them every week or anything. I think with the money issue you're starting to experience is indicative of the problems Cornette had in real life.

Non-Title Match

Brian Lee and Chris Candido vs. Al Snow and Bobby Blaze

Comments: While I love Snow and Bobby Blaze, Brian Lee is the embodiment of SMW and Candido is a stud -- they're not taking an L here.

Well Dunn vs. The Rock n' Roll Express

Comments: The top babyface team ain't taking an L.

SMW Beat the Champ TV Title Match

Tracy Smothers © vs. Mustapha Saed

Comments: I imagine Saed is going to be on his way out. He's not a good enough worker to be there on his own, with no New Jack to cut promos for him, he's just taking up space.

Dory Funk Jr. vs. "Bullet" Bob Armstrong

Comments:

SMW TV

Wednesday, Week 3, July 1994

Jefferson County Fairgrounds- Jefferson City, TN

Show Announcers: Bob Caudle and Corey Maclin

Show Attendance: 2,000

Segment 1

The show started with a non-title match between SMW Tag Team Champions Chris Candido and Brian Lee with Tammy Fytch at ringside, taking on the team of Al Snow and Bobby Blaze. Candido and Lee dominated the match, definitely showing they were the better in-ring performers. In a fairly short match, Candido hit Snow with a Blonde Bombshell to get the pin at the 4:30 mark. (56)

Segment 2

Jim Cornette came out to address the crowd. "There's been a lot of questions about just how this SMW Beat the Champ TV Title works. Well I'm here to explain it to you peons. First off, on every single edition of SMW TV, the SMW TV Champ will defend the title against a randomly selected opponent. If the champ successfully defends the belt 5 times, he may then choose the option to wrestle for the SMW Title.. or the SMW Tag Titles. He may also choose the option to keep the SMW Title and try to defend it 5 more times. For those of you that can't add, that's 10. Cause last I checked, 5 plus 5 is 10." Cornette paused for a minute.

"So what happens if the TV champ defends the title successfully all 10 times? Well, then the title is automatically vacated. The champ will get a bonus of $5,000, and he will then get the same option to wrestle for the SMW Title or find a partner and wrestler for the SMW Tag Titles. Now, if he is stupid enough to turn down both offers, then he just won't get a title shot. The big catch is, he can then no longer compete for the SMW TV Title for the next 3 months! So he better choose wisely. And there you have it folks, the story of the SMW Beat The Champ TV Title. Our current champ is on defense #3, so let's bring him out! (73)

Segment 3

With a great lead-in, this weeks SMW Beat the Champ Television Title Match was underway between the current SMW Television Champ Tracy Smothers and challenger Mustapha Saed. This match was actually surprisingly good, as Saed held his own as a singles competitor. However, the experience of Smothers was too much to overcome, and he hit a Jaw Jacker on Saed to get the pin at the 6:18 mark, making successful defense #3 of the SMW Beat The Champ Television Title. (53)

Segment 4

We rush backstage as Dirty White Boy is standing over a completely knocked out Scott Stud, yelling at him. As security gets in to calm the situation down, DWB continues to tell Stud to "stay away from my woman, ya hick!" Dirty White Girl is shown in the background, looking very disgusted. This segment officially turned the DWB heel (I'm not sure why their match didn't) and the turn was a complete success. (63)

Segment 5

It was time for our other tag team match of the week, this one as part of the 3 top contenders tournament, featuring Well Dunn taking on the Rock 'n' Roll Express. This match had great heat and decent wrestling, and for the most part the veteran R 'n' R Express dominated the match. Unfortunately, they didn't take into account how badly Well Dunn wanted this win. With the referee distracted trying to get the illegal men, Morton and Well back to their corners, Dunn pulled some brass knuckles out of his pocket and nailed Gibson with them, pinning the knocked out Gibson at the 9:05 mark. (57)

Segment 6

Jake Roberts came out while Morton was checking on Gibson and laid him out with a DDT before grabbing the mic. "Cornette, I told you once, and I'll tell you again. Don't mess with a snake. For every week that you don't answer my questions, I'll leave another victim among your happy fan favorites. Cornette, you won't outsmart this snake, the ball is in your court, and you and I both know there is only 1 right answer." Roberts grabbed the bag and started to pull out the snake, but then laughed evilly and put the snake back in the bag before leaving both members of the R 'n' R Express down in the ring. (79)

Segment 7

It was time for the main event of the evening between 2 very wily veterans. Bob Armstrong and Dory Funk Jr.. The match started out very slow, as to be expected, and the crowd was very much into it. Unfortunately, the match quality was less than desired, as even with a slow build, both men were tiring by the end. With Armstrong starting to get the advantage offensively, and knowing that Scott and Steve Armstrong were not there this week, Terry Funk ran down to ringside and attacked Bob Armstrong, causing referee "The Prodigy" to call for the bell, giving Armstrong the DQ victory at the 16:30 mark. (51)

Segment 8

With the Funk Brothers laying the boots to Armstrong, and with seemingly nobody to help Bullet Bob, Terry Funk pulled out his branding iron. As Dory held Bob, Terry started to warm up the branding iron, getting ready to brand Bullet Bob, when out of nowhere someone jumped through the crowd and over the railing. Once security recognized who it was, they let him go, as it turned out to be none other than BG James! James wasn't alone though, as he had a steel chair with him, running the Funk Brothers out of the ring, as the show ended with BG tending to Bullet Bob. (78)

Final Show Rating: 60

Thoughts from the Prodigy

Well, I gotta say, a pretty good show. It always seems to be the angles that hype up the show though. Guys like Roberts and Cornette on the mic, and the matches seem to be disappointing. It's a bummer, but hopefully that can change. I really thought about going with a different match for the main event, and I wish I had. Giving Bullet Bob and Dory Jr. 16 minutes in the ring competing, even with a story telling slow build, was just far too much. Oh well, live and learn. I mean I'm 13 years old people, what do ya want from me? Still, we increased our popularity in 1 region (again, most likely the Southeast), and had the best show since I've been here. Unfortunately, this show cost us a bunch of money, as I might be getting the best of performances out of these guys, but my negotiation skills are pretty bad (Should have really made that high so I could get guys to sign for cheap).

Comments: Smothers wins as Saed fades out unless you can find a replacement for New Jack. I would recommend a young D'Lo Brown (AC Connors) who was with them at some point.

Funny you say this, because I was actually thinking the same thing. I've always liked D'Lo Brown. Now the question is will I do it? Guess we'll find out soon. haha

So, as a big SMW fan, the TV Title was modeled after some TV titles from, I believe, the early 60s. (Cornette has talked about it a length during one of the conversations he had about SMW on a podcast). The idea being, that you got a $1,000 purse for each title win and defense and maxed out at $5,000. Part of it was the transitory nature of the talent, but part of it was Cornette's attempt to have a championship that was defended every week that had a built in stake so that he could do a variety of different combinations. It also allowed him to bounce the title around without it losing prestige and gave him a reason to have guys like Tracy Smothers, The Dirty White Boy, etc... challenge for it, because there was a cash bonus associated with winning and holding it.

You're doing good work, sportsfanmas. If it helps, the Funks were never fulltime members of the SMW roster, they occasionally made appearances for Cornette, but he didn't use them every week or anything. I think with the money issue you're starting to experience is indicative of the problems Cornette had in real life.

Thanks for the compliment. I just hope my interest in this doesn't fade out like it has in almost all my other dynasties. My favorite dynasty to do was my WCW 1991 dynasty, but once there started to be so many other dynasties of the same kind, mine just couldn't compare. I also had a fun time with my WCW 1997 dynasty, but again, I just couldn't compare to some of the other great writers on here. So far so good in this one, I think it helps to have a smaller company to work with as it's not so overwhelming and the rating demands aren't sky high.

The problem I know I'm going to face at some point (besides the financial issues) are scheduling issues. With being a regional sized company and not being able to sign guys to written contracts, I've already had to adjust my broadcasting schedule to Wednesday. So far everybody on the roster is still free on Wednesdays, but if that should change, I'll have a real problem on my hands.

As for the TV title, once you read my latest show recap, you'll see I'm doing sort of the same thing with it. The problem I'll run into there is finding enough guys so that I don't start having rematches for the title. TEW seems to frown on face/face or heel/heel matches, so if I keep it strictly face/heel, unless I want to throw an Upper Mid or Main Eventer in the tv title picture, my options become limited. Still an issue I'm working on though. Thanks for the support.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sportsfanmas" data-cite="sportsfanmas" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thanks for the compliment. I just hope my interest in this doesn't fade out like it has in almost all my other dynasties. My favorite dynasty to do was my WCW 1991 dynasty, but once there started to be so many other dynasties of the same kind, mine just couldn't compare. I also had a fun time with my WCW 1997 dynasty, but again, I just couldn't compare to some of the other great writers on here. So far so good in this one, I think it helps to have a smaller company to work with as it's not so overwhelming and the rating demands aren't sky high.<p> </p><p> The problem I know I'm going to face at some point (besides the financial issues) are scheduling issues. With being a regional sized company and not being able to sign guys to written contracts, I've already had to adjust my broadcasting schedule to Wednesday. So far everybody on the roster is still free on Wednesdays, but if that should change, I'll have a real problem on my hands.</p><p> </p><p> As for the TV title, once you read my latest show recap, you'll see I'm doing sort of the same thing with it. The problem I'll run into there is finding enough guys so that I don't start having rematches for the title. TEW seems to frown on face/face or heel/heel matches, so if I keep it strictly face/heel, unless I want to throw an Upper Mid or Main Eventer in the tv title picture, my options become limited. Still an issue I'm working on though. Thanks for the support.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You can try to bring guys in on PPA deals for one date. That way they come in, challenge for the TV title and then leave. Gives you a little more flexibility.</p>

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">July 1994, Week 3 News and Notes</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

-- Smokey Mountain Wrestling has started a working agreement with Wrestling Association R. With SMW having their first live show under the Prodigy Era, SMW Summer Blast, next Saturday, WAR has some SMW talent also set to work that Saturday, and The Prodigy is going to try to negotiate with WAR to get that talent at SMW Summer Blast.</p><p> </p><p>

-- SMW TV get a 0.04 rating this week. I'm not sure if it is the time slot or what, but the rating continues to go down. This is something that The Prodigy will have to keep an eye on.</p><p> </p><p>

-- USWA Showtime! I took place on Thursday of this week and had a sell out of 5,000. It drew a 0.09 rating. The main event saw USWA World Heavyweight Champion Jerry Lawler successfully defend his title against Buddy Landel.</p><p> </p><p>

-- ECW also had a big show this week, ECW Heatwave. Although it wasn't broadcasted, the co main events both rated in at 79. First, Cactus Jack defeated 2 Cold Scorpio, and then Shane Douglas defeated Sabu to retain the ECW Title.</p><p> </p><p>

-- It is being said that Tammy Lynn Sytch and Bull Pain have gotten along very well backstage recently and have started a friendship. Whether this becomes a romance we will have to wait and see.</p><p> </p><p>

-- WWF had a PPV this week, WWF In Your House. The show had an 88 overall rating and a 1.00 PPV rating. Bret Hart defeated Owen Hart to retain the WWF Title, while Diesel defeated Bam Bam Bigelow to retain the WWF Intercontinental Title. The Headshrinkers defeated Well Dunn to retain the WWF World Tag Team Titles, Nikolai Volkoff defeated Barry Horowitz to win the WWF European Title, and Alundra Blayze defeated Candi Devine to retain the WWF Women's Title.</p><p> </p><p>

-- Al Snow has seen his time end at SMW. He chose not to renew his contract there, and it is said he is looking to go to the WWF.</p><p> </p><p>

-- To end the week WCW held Bash at the Beach. It was an interesting show, with a final rating of 83. It got a 0.82 PPV rating. The main event featured Kevin Sullivan and Ric Flair defeating Arn Anderson and Brian Pillman (uh, what??) Only 2 title matches, as Lord Steven Regal defeated Kevin Von Erich to retain the WCW World Television Title, and Ron Simmons defeated Steve Austin to win the WCW United States Title.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sportsfanmas" data-cite="sportsfanmas" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46171" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Funny you say this, because I was actually thinking the same thing. I've always liked D'Lo Brown. Now the question is will I do it? Guess we'll find out soon. haha</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> In real life, D'Lo became the third member of the Gangsta's for their last little bit before they went to ECW -- so he would be a great guy to bring in, plus should be relatively affordable.</p>

SMW TV (July Week 4, 1994) Preview

-- At the end of last weeks show, we saw BG James make his debut, saving Bob Armstrong from a postmatch attack by the Funk Brothers. James will speak this week, and what will he say?

-- SMW General Manager Jim Cornette has hired extra security to keep a wild, unpredictable Jake Roberts out of the building tonight, making him wait until Saturday night at SMW Summer Blast to learn who his opponent is. Will he give us any kind of clues on SMW TV this week?

-- In the final match of the 3 team round robin #1 contender challenge, The Thrillseekers will take on The Rock 'n' Roll Express in what should be a very exciting match.

-- Mustapha Saed has told us he has found a new partner to take New Jack's spot in The Gangstas. He will announce that new partner tonight, and they will make a challenge for SMW Summer Blast.

-- SMW Beat The Champ TV Champion Tracy Smothers will make his 4th title defense tonight, and his challenger this week will be Dirty White Boy.

-- In the Main Event of this weeks SMW TV, Scott Stud will take on Bull Pain in what should be another exciting match.

Match Card

Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Thrillseekers

Comments:

SMW Beat the Champ TV Title Match

Tracy Smothers © vs. Dirty White Boy

Comments:

Scott Stud vs. Bull Pain

Comments:

Diary Comments or Questions:

I plan on running this show tomorrow, so you have about 24 hours to get your picks in. Thanks.

This is where my dynasties usually falter. I'm a throw together kind of guy. I don't have a lot of time to pre book a bunch of shows in advance, so I book from show to show, using pre existing storylines and such to get ideas for big shows and PPVs. Because of this, my dynasties tend to suffer. So..I apologize in advance if my booking becomes off the wall and reports become hard to rrad.

<strong>Rock 'n' Roll Express</strong> vs. Thrillseekers</p><p>

Comments: Think this will be the start of a heel turn for the Thrillseekers 6 months to a year down the road.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Tracy Smothers ©</strong> vs. Dirty White Boy</p><p>

Comments: Bull Pain cost Dirty White Boy or Smothers just wins clean.</p><p> </p><p>

Scott Stud vs. <strong>Bull Pain</strong></p><p>

Comments: Dirty White Boy interferes and costs Stud so later on Stud costs Dirty White Boy.</p><p> </p><p>

Diary Comments or Questions: I'm trying out a SMW save in 1992 when it first started and money is a big thing. Hoping you can try to ride it out without some free money coming in. SMW is costly as your best talent are your expensive talent. Really need to build up the young guys who work for cheap early and make these veterans big event only.</p>

<strong>Rock 'n' Roll Express</strong> vs. Thrillseekers</p><p>

Tracy Smothers © vs. <strong>Dirty White Boy</strong></p><p>

Scott Stud vs. <strong>Bull Pain</strong></p><p>

Diary Comments or Questions:</p>

<p><strong>Rock 'n' Roll Express</strong> vs. Thrillseekers</p><p>