The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

They've done the eliminator gimmick multiple times. In an eliminator match, if someone is able to beat the champion(s) in a non title match, they are granted a title shot regardless of their spot in the rankings.

They've done this with most of the titles at least once or twice.

That makes sense

They've done it in WWE as well, a notable (and stupid) example was when Nox & Shotzi debuted and beat then Women's Tag Champs Natalya and Tamina. That earned them a non-title contender's match where, if they won that, they got a shot at the titles. They did win, except WWE decided to do that match again. They won that one too, so the next team to challenge Nattie and Tamina was... Rhea Ripley and Nikki A.S.H.

2 hours ago, Makhai said:

And then he gets bit by Ace for the trouble of leaving his friends for dead. Their account sounds like a skit from BTE. I put zero weight into it. 

People involved in a brawl with lawsuits in the works twisting the truth to make themselves out to be total innocents? Good heavens, I certainly hope The Good and Honourable Ser Brooks, Lord of All Chicago, will provide us with the pure and absolute truth as he is wont to do. Or not, because it would create drama that boosts ratings? I honestly can't tell if people want AEW to be TMZ Wrestling or not. One minute everyone's cheering for the wildfire to rage on because "it's got us more interested than we've ever been!" but when fire spreads to a nearby town and kills everyone, the onlookers are mad because nobody put out the fire.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

They've done it in WWE as well, a notable (and stupid) example was when Nox & Shotzi debuted and beat then Women's Tag Champs Natalya and Tamina. That earned them a non-title contender's match where, if they won that, they got a shot at the titles. They did win, except WWE decided to do that match again. They won that one too, so the next team to challenge Nattie and Tamina was... Rhea Ripley and Nikki A.S.H.

WWE does this stuff all the time, the "eliminator" wording just threw me. I saw a champion in an eliminator, and I just broke there for a second. 

Edited by Makhai

The first Champion vs. Challenger "Eliminator" match in AEW was December 2020. It is a very well-established trope in the promotion. In fact, there have been roughly a dozen of them since December 2020, including the most recent three being in August 2022, July 2022, and June 2022 :)

Any non-title match is called an Eliminator to ensure that if the non-champions win, they are rewarded as a result :)

Edited by Dalton

I'm glad TK trusted them with the main event even though the ratings dipped a lot. Even then it was first time in a year that the viewership was over 1 million 3 shows in a row.

Now if only he would trust the women with a 2nd match occasionally... maybe a Toni title defense and a 2nd match elevating talent like Hayter, Julia, Anna or Tay on the same show. I get TK's focus on ratings with TV contract negotiations coming up but sometimes you have to make a short term sacrifice for long term gain.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:12 PM, Makhai said:

1) Comedy stays in the midcard. You don't put belts you take seriously on it.

2/3 of The New Day have been world champions.

59 minutes ago, ZMAN said:

I thought they'd be in good hands with MJF coming back, but they made him a face. 😭 whyyyyyyyyy

Did... did you not watch the whole segment?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZMAN said:

I thought they'd be in good hands with MJF coming back, but they made him a face. 😭 whyyyyyyyyy

whaa?

might want to watch it again? he drops the face act half way through and throws the jersey on the ground.

he was doing a take off of Punk's whitemeat babyface promos including the calling a fan fat and all.

Basically gave the audience catharsis by allowing them to chant him as a face for his return, rehash Punks role these past few months, and then give them him revealing he was playing them all along and turn heel - followed by Mox menacing him out of the ring and defending AEW from him etc etc. Good symbolism and satisfaction in-world for fans reeling from whats going down backstage. Was kind of like being a sin-eater i suppose.

Edited by Kamchatka
  • Like 1

- Darby vs Sammy was good. I expected Sammy to win. Mox will basically be in a handicap match against the JAS with the crowd 100% behind him.
- Let's see if Woods can hang with Joe. Flawless Miro.
- Rayne vs Deeb was solid.
- Good promos from Jade & Hobbs.
- Dax vs Claudio (c) was my MOTN. Regal's history with Dax made things more interesting. Always nice to hear Caprice.

On 9/10/2022 at 3:56 AM, milamber said:

- Darby vs Sammy was good. I expected Sammy to win. Mox will basically be in a handicap match against the JAS with the crowd 100% behind him.
- Let's see if Woods can hang with Joe. Flawless Miro.
- Rayne vs Deeb was solid.
- Good promos from Jade & Hobbs.
- Dax vs Claudio (c) was my MOTN. Regal's history with Dax made things more interesting. Always nice to hear Caprice.

Not commenting on your post. Just wanted to say that your avatar is cool. I've become a big fan of Wardlow with this dominant/alpha male push. Kinda reminds me of Goldberg in his glory days. Also, teaming him with FTR is brilliant. That tag team is dominant in their own right. I think they should be in the hunt for the trios tag. I think those 3 could put on some epic matches with Death Triangle.spacer.png

15 minutes ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

What I’m confused about with FTR is they’ve been the number one ranked team for months and never get a title shot. 

Because FTR are pros who do their jobs and don't cause drama backstage or on social media so Tony can't play off of any backstage heat between them and Swerve in Our Glory. I mean, what is he supposed to do, book a normal wrestling feud that plays out on weekly television? But that's soooooo boring! How are the dirtsheets supposed to speculate on the locker room situation between the teams? How are wrestling fans supposed to get investing a storyline about two good tag teams wrestling each other? There's nothing REAL WRESTLING FANS(tm) hate more than straight pro wrestling!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

Because FTR are pros who do their jobs and don't cause drama backstage or on social media so Tony can't play off of any backstage heat between them and Swerve in Our Glory. I mean, what is he supposed to do, book a normal wrestling feud that plays out on weekly television? But that's soooooo boring! How are the dirtsheets supposed to speculate on the locker room situation between the teams? How are wrestling fans supposed to get investing a storyline about two good tag teams wrestling each other? There's nothing REAL WRESTLING FANS(tm) hate more than straight pro wrestling!

a lil sarcasm?  😛

FTR barely defend the titles they have to be fair. I doubt TK will book them into an AEW Tag Title match unless they are winning. Although if Swerve turns heel soon they could run that match and protect FTR with a cheating loss. Anyway, the Acclaimed might be winning at Grand Slam and they're hot babyfaces now so FTR might get booed if they cut their reign short.