The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

46 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

Regarding Jade's promo ability, she once called Anna Jay "Anna Banana". That's... hmm.

Now, when she debuted, I did note that she had a confidence on the microphone that is hard to teach. However, one thing I realized today is that, aside from that debut (which was in the middle of the pandemic), I don't think she's done any promos in the ring or ringside area. All the promos I can remember have been backstage, possibly pretaped. Most of Thunder Rosa's promos are pretaped, and I've seen people call her a bad promo.

She's done promos in the ring and in the ringside area.

7 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

Which is why I used the qualifiers "I don't think" and "I can remember". MOST of her talking time has been backstage.

For such a good promo, why has she had TWO managers AND a stable to reduce the amount of talking she has to do?

And, seriously "Anna Banana"?!?

Anna Banana was bad, yes, but it was clear that she was attempting to infantilize Anna, it just didn't work well. The two managers and stable have been to enhance her, not cover for her. Sterling and Hathaway rarely spoke her for. They talked less as their time with her went on until their speaking time was near zero. And same with the Baddies, they have a line or two for a promo, but its almost all Jade.

She's a good promo.

24 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Anna Banana was bad, yes, but it was clear that she was attempting to infantilize Anna, it just didn't work well.

Not only didn't it work, it was a bad idea to begin with. If the idea is that Anna is no big deal to her, then why would it be a big deal when Jade beats her? If SHE doesn't care about the match, why should we?

8 hours ago, Kamchatka said:

Jade shouldn't lose the title, ever.

Then she needs to be Rampage exclusive for the rest of her existence. No PPV matches. She's a hot cosplay instagram model pretending to be Goldberg in a work-rate fed. Every part of that sentence hurt me to type.  

Goldberg had unbelievable raw power and explosiveness and he looked like Jewish Superman. He breathed smoke out his nostrils, his theme was unbelievable and gave you the big match bumps. 

You can't do the unstoppable monster gimmick with an instagram model, I do not care how good her abs look, or how thirsty TK is on her.

Her moves look really tame, she's presented like a Bitchy heel, and she is obviously MILES behind everybody. It just buries every other girl on the roster. Which is probably why that division is a ratings sink now. Even though it was a ratings winner for the entire first year. 

I remember when Riho won the belt. I remember when Britt beat Shida and I enjoyed watching women's wrestling enough to care they didn't do a double turn. 

Now if either of those girls are on the show, it's -200k viewers and I fast forward it. 

Edited by Makhai

I wish they would run back Athena vs Emi on TV but that will never happen.

Abadon is making her TJPW debut this week. Would love to see Julia go there for a few weeks. She's improving rapidly but needs longer match experience than Dark can provide and there's no room on TV for her right now (except as a valet for HoB).

Edited by milamber

2 hours ago, Kamchatka said:

Sakura v Athena, Sakura v Shida.. lot of great Sakura matches happening on Dark / Elevation. I cant be mad, its the funnest show to watch and aggro viewers wont go near it. 

in other dark news: Queen Aminata got her first win WHOOP WHOOP

Like QAnon trying to convince me that JFK Jr. is descending down to lead us all to the promised lands, I will not give into to this fake news mongering obviously designed to convince me that Dark exists. 

I know the truth. 

Edited by Makhai
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Kamchatka said:

Sakura v Athena, Sakura v Shida.. lot of great Sakura matches happening on Dark / Elevation. I cant be mad, its the funnest show to watch and aggro viewers wont go near it. 

in other dark news: Queen Aminata got her first win WHOOP WHOOP

I'm a fan of Aminata. She'd be a good hand for the ROH Women's division when they get a TV deal.

Edited by milamber

I watched the All Out media scrum last night for the first time and the thing that jumped out at me the most was the dichotomy between Punk and Jericho.

Whoever was right or wrong in the Punk dispute, he came across as a thin-skinned diva who doesn't respect anyone - his peers, the media, and even his boss.

Jericho, on the other hand, just seems like he is doing and saying all the right things.  He is willing to put the company first, putting others over both through his words and in the ring.  Compared to Punk, he seems like such an adult in the room.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TigerClawTV said:

I think I'm in the minority on this one because I don't catch much AEW a-shows, but I really like Dark and Dark evolution. They do a good job making a platform for newer talent. Also Mark Henry is one of my favorite human beings. 

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of being a kid watching the B show wrestling stuff we'd get here on saturday morning tv. Things like Heat and Velocity. Just fun vibes but AEW manages to dial it up so much more with commentary and stuff like Infinito and Fuego Dos etc. More of that lighthearted pageantry and playing to the crowds but also often interesting people coming in as jobbers and working up slowly. So many times watching Horowitz doing his thing back in the day.

Edited by Kamchatka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OneWarriorNation said:

I watched the All Out media scrum last night for the first time and the thing that jumped out at me the most was the dichotomy between Punk and Jericho.

Whoever was right or wrong in the Punk dispute, he came across as a thin-skinned diva who doesn't respect anyone - his peers, the media, and even his boss.

Jericho, on the other hand, just seems like he is doing and saying all the right things.  He is willing to put the company first, putting others over both through his words and in the ring.  Compared to Punk, he seems like such an adult in the room.

To me Jericho just loves patting himself on the back at these things. It’s nauseating for me. 

3 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

To me Jericho just loves patting himself on the back at these things. It’s nauseating for me. 

Why not both? Jericho can be the adult in the room and also have an ego bigger than the moon because he's surrounded backstage by wrestlers who grew up watching him and worship the ground he walks on. Look no further than his pretentious rant about his hatred of the word "botch".

5 hours ago, Kamchatka said:

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of being a kid watching the B show wrestling stuff we'd get here on saturday morning tv. Things like Heat and Velocity. Just fun vibes but AEW manages to dial it up so much more with commentary and stuff like Infinito and Fuego Dos etc. More of that lighthearted pageantry and playing to the crowds but also often interesting people coming in as jobbers and working up slowly. So many times watching Horowitz doing his thing back in the day.

I remember when I went to the Philly show last year, and how surprised and excited I was to see Crowbar. A lot of fans around me were "Is he new?", meanwhile I'm doing my version of the Leonardo DiCaprio pointing at the TV meme.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Eh, the segment went on a bit too long. I did love Morrissey's deadpan reaction to the hug, though.

Orange Cassidy absolutely needs to win next week. If my math is correct, he's had 7, SEVEN, title shots in AEW and failed to win the title each time; I'm pretty sure that's the most of anyone in AEW.

Did I miss a W. Morrissey appearance? Big fan of his from his work on Impact.