The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

8 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

You may not think so, but Saraya IS a big name. The only free agents that could have gotten an equal or bigger pop than she did are AJ Lee and Sasha/ Mercedes, and I don't see either one of them showing up in AEW anytime soon.

And the WWE probably did bend the rules for Edge. They bend the rules for lots of people that Vince thinks are draw, like that time Brock tested positive for steroids but wasn't disciplined at all because "something something part time status", or how Jimmy Uso can get his third DUI and then get handed the tag team belts immediately after. But when Naomi would rather DEFEND the tag titles on the PPV instead of getting fed to Bianca, who really shouldn't need any more build at this point, WELL NOW, the WWE has to take a firm hard stand!

Back to the issue at hand- all her issues aside, Saraya is a big name, and her return was the most talked about Grand Slam moment. Of the many issues with AEW women's division, one of them has been that they've not had a Jericho, or even a Mox, someone established and over who can get eyes on the product and elevate talent. Saraya could certainly do the former, and hey, Willow Nightingale & Skye Blue actually got to be on Dynamite! So maybe it will work. Even if she never gets cleared, if she were to act as a manager, that might boost the profile of someone like Willow or Skye.

Go outside and ask anybody who a Saraya is, and tell me again she's a big star. If they know her, it's from the reality show, or the fappening hack. That's the reality of things. Don't take it personal. 

The WWE didn't bend the rules for Edge, btw. He was cleared before he even approached the WWE about coming back. But she feels that they have similar injuries, and if he can, she can. I don't have a copy of the x-rays, I don't know what the deal is with that. But that's why she doesn't like the WWE atm and that's why she jumped. The end. 

The fact she's having such a hard time getting cleared though tells me this is probably a very bad idea. 

3 hours ago, djskeemask said:

Makhai likes to stir the pot. Don't let it get under your skin.

You haven't even see me try yet. That's the funny part. I have this incredible reputation around here, and I haven't even lifted a finger to earn it, beyond have a different opinion then you three or four times a year when I swing by to grab some mods or renders. 

It's hilarious. 

Edited by Makhai
  • Haha 2

- JAS celebration was sports entertaining. The purple outfits lol. Glum Garcia going off.
- Danielson vs Daddy Magic was solid. Snap, crackle & pop lol.
- YUTA stealing MJF's spotlight won't end well for him.
- Juice vs Mox was solid. Mox back to bleeding. Cowboy! YUTA in the sky box!
- The Saraya segment felt like to setup for a women's Blood & Guts match... or TK's just throwing more women on screen instead of booking a 2nd match.
- Deeb vs Storm (c) was good.
- Wouldn't mind if Lee embraced being a heel like Swerve. Time for Private Party to leave the AFO.
- Starks squashed Isom with style.
- Bandido vs Jericho (c) was my MOTN. Jericho being anti-ROH as Champion is interesting.

Edited by milamber

3 hours ago, Makhai said:

You haven't even see me try yet. That's the funny part. I have this incredible reputation around here, and I haven't even lifted a finger to earn it, beyond have a different opinion then you three or four times a year when I swing by to grab some mods or renders. 

It's hilarious. 

Oh yeah, I forgot. We are beneath you. We must marvel at your ass-holinesss. Bow Down.  🙏 🙏 🙏

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Considering AEW is the promotion of stables, I would totally vibe with Saraya starting a group, Britt Baker starting a group, and having them build to a 5 vs 5 match somewhere down the line. If you cannot get Saraya cleared and you're concerned about how her body is going to hold up, having her drive a story that leads to a match where she just has to play the hits is certainly the direction I would go in. 

hair vs. hair!!!!

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

One thing about Menard- after his match last night, he exited the ring area and kept raising his hands like he won, only for Rembsurg to keep knocking them down, much to the amusement of the live audience.

Menard and Parker both rule, but man, Menard is continuously maximizing his screen time. It's great. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Considering AEW is the promotion of stables, I would totally vibe with Saraya starting a group, Britt Baker starting a group, and having them build to a 5 vs 5 match somewhere down the line. If you cannot get Saraya cleared and you're concerned about how her body is going to hold up, having her drive a story that leads to a match where she just has to play the hits is certainly the direction I would go in. 

For what goal? What does having her involved do exactly? Did you see what happened to Tua Tagovailoa on TNF? Right now the team is actively covering up that to avoid a huge lawsuit from the NFLPA, BTW. And all so he could play in a week 4 game. People have gone insane. 

What does anyone get for doing this? Is she going to make people care about women's wrestling? No. Is she going to have a classic moment that will live beyond her? No. Is she going to get anybody else over? No. 

What's the endgame? A vanity project for someone who worked for the other guys? I just don't get it. 

Edited by Makhai

7 hours ago, Makhai said:

For what goal? What does having her involved do exactly? Did you see what happened to Tua Tagovailoa on TNF? Right now the team is actively covering up that to avoid a huge lawsuit from the NFLPA, BTW. And all so he could play in a week 4 game. People have gone insane. 

What does anyone get for doing this? Is she going to make people care about women's wrestling? No. Is she going to have a classic moment that will live beyond her? No. Is she going to get anybody else over? No. 

What's the endgame? A vanity project for someone who worked for the other guys? I just don't get it. 

People have always been insane. Jon Kitna suffered a concussion in 2000 so bad that he couldn't remember any of the plays and yet Mike Holmgren forced him to stay in the game just so they didn't have to put their third string QB in, only avoiding what happened to Tua by pure luck. Bubba Ray Dudley got concussed bad enough that he basically completed a ladder match with Christian and Jericho while sleepwalking. In both of these cases and thousands of others across contact sports, people treat these moments as proof of someone's toughness. They never have and never will treat brain and spinal injuries with the grave seriousness they should.

2 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

People have always been insane. Jon Kitna suffered a concussion in 2000 so bad that he couldn't remember any of the plays and yet Mike Holmgren forced him to stay in the game just so they didn't have to put their third string QB in, only avoiding what happened to Tua by pure luck. Bubba Ray Dudley got concussed bad enough that he basically completed a ladder match with Christian and Jericho while sleepwalking. In both of these cases and thousands of others across contact sports, people treat these moments as proof of someone's toughness. They never have and never will treat brain and spinal injuries with the grave seriousness they should.

Kurt Angle won the gold medal with a broken frickin' neck!

10 hours ago, Makhai said:

AEW stars with the most follows on social media between Twitter and Instagram:

1. Saraya (6.1m on IG, 2.7m on Twitter, 8.8m overall)
  2. Chris Jericho (4.2m on IG, 3.6m on Twitter, 7.8m overall)
  3. Bryan Danielson (3.3m on IG, 4.5m on Twitter, 7.8m overall)

Do you get it now?

1 minute ago, Mootinie said:

Do you get it now?

I get that Chris Jericho and Bryan Danielson don't have boobs. Yes. 

3 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Do you get it now?

Just stop, facts mean nothing to him, it's pointless.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Makhai said:

I get that Chris Jericho and Bryan Danielson don't have boobs. Yes. 

So, based on this logic, it surely follows that all of AEW's women have brilliant and comparable social media followings to Saraya? Let's crunch the numbers...

• Saraya (6.1m on IG, 2.7m on Twitter, 8.8m overall)
  • Jade Cargill (811k on IG, 169k on Twitter, 980k overall)
  • Britt Baker (445k on IG, 345k on Twitter, 790k overall)
  • Toni Storm (725k on IG)
  • Thunder Rosa (317k on IG, 205k on Twitter, 522k overall)
  • Jamie Hayter (155k on IG, 118k on Twitter, 273k overall)
  • Kris Statlander (184k on IG, 140k on Twitter, 324k overall)
  • Penelope Ford (175k on IG, 90k on Twitter, 265k overall)

It is, very literally, night and day.

1 hour ago, Mootinie said:

So, based on this logic, it surely follows that all of AEW's women have brilliant and comparable social media followings to Saraya? Let's crunch the numbers...

• Saraya (6.1m on IG, 2.7m on Twitter, 8.8m overall)
  • Jade Cargill (811k on IG, 169k on Twitter, 980k overall)
  • Britt Baker (445k on IG, 345k on Twitter, 790k overall)
  • Toni Storm (725k on IG)
  • Thunder Rosa (317k on IG, 205k on Twitter, 522k overall)
  • Jamie Hayter (155k on IG, 118k on Twitter, 273k overall)
  • Kris Statlander (184k on IG, 140k on Twitter, 324k overall)
  • Penelope Ford (175k on IG, 90k on Twitter, 265k overall)

It is, very literally, night and day.

If your argument to me is that she's going to risk death and disability to get Jade Cargill and the girls some IG follows, that's a rather embarrassing take... followers are completely meaningless. Because they can be botted, and manipulated. Engagement is what advertisers want from IG models. That account has 7 posts on it for christ sakes. Stop.

Even if I went along with this hairbrained new media crap, just make her a brand ambassador or something, and have her use instagram to post pics of Jade in all her cosplays and be done with it. Nobody has to die for this. 

Edited by Makhai

1 hour ago, Makhai said:

If your argument to me is that she's going to risk death and disability to get Jade Cargill and the girls some IG follows, that's a rather embarrassing take... followers are completely meaningless. Because they can be botted, and manipulated. Engagement is what advertisers want from IG models. That account has 7 posts on it for christ sakes. Stop.

Even if I went along with this hairbrained new media crap, just make her a brand ambassador or something, and have her use instagram to post pics of Jade in all her cosplays and be done with it. Nobody has to die for this. 

So you're concerned about the hypothetical consequences of an hypothetical accident during a hypothetical match and most likely aren't anybody who has any real insight into her medical status or the booking plans for her?

49 minutes ago, El Güro said:

So you're concerned about the hypothetical consequences of an hypothetical accident during a hypothetical match and most likely aren't anybody who has any real insight into her medical status or the booking plans for her?

It's hypothetical until you see a man falling 100+ feet and die in a completely preventable accident because nobody asked why they were making a guy do something he didn't want to do in the first place for a prelim comedy angle nobody asked for.

There's a time and a place to take a risk. It's when the reward exceeds it. I cannot find anyway this could possibly work out for anyone, and that is the point. You lot getting butthurt because I don't think she's a star, because she's not, is a rather sad way to miss the point entirely. But, maybe I should expect way less of you. 

I assure you the lawsuit will not be hypothetical though. 

AEW keeps saying that it wants to be wrestling utopia, walk the talk for once. 

I am reminded of this story from Ryan Clark and Mike Tomlin. 

Edited by Makhai

I'm genuinely surprised Saraya is that popular. Sure, I wasn't watching when she had her run, but I always assumed she was a victim of poor timing, who came and went before and after the top opponents she could have had good matches with. Granted, the diehard fans that respect workrate have good memories, so didn't instantly forget her like Candice Michelle or Michelle McCool, but I'm still surprised she's so well remembered. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Self said:

I'm genuinely surprised Saraya is that popular. Sure, I wasn't watching when she had her run, but I always assumed she was a victim of poor timing, who came and went before and after the top opponents she could have had good matches with. Granted, the diehard fans that respect workrate have good memories, so didn't instantly forget her like Candice Michelle or Michelle McCool, but I'm still surprised she's so well remembered. 

I'm not gonna lie, that IG account took me back. But it's got like no posts and no engagement and I didn't know it existed until Mootie pointed it out. Gotta be a bot farm. 

14 minutes ago, Makhai said:

the lawsuit will not be hypothetical though.

It IS hypothetical, because she isn't booked in any match, hasn't taken any bumps and didn't have any accidents. There isn't anything to sue anybody about, you made that up in your head.

The funniest thing is how you went from straight misogynistic "people only like her because of her breasts" to suddenly crying crocodile tears about something that you can't possibly know.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, El Güro said:

It IS hypothetical, because she isn't booked in any match, hasn't taken any bumps and didn't have any accidents. There isn't anything to sue anybody about, you made that up in your head.

The funniest thing is how you went from straight misogynistic "people only like her because of her breasts" to suddenly crying crocodile tears about something that you can't possibly know.

Blessed be this discussion thread for people who play a fantasy booking game, be sacrolige to speculate about professional wrestling, or the questionable booking decisions of a pro wrestling company. 

Give me a break dude. 

And I don't think it's misogynistic to point out the reality of things, that 18-34 year old men are the most exploitable resource on planet earth. 

Go ask every OF account holder. If reality is difficult for you. Tough. It's making a lot of young women Millionaires with a capital M. Capitalism is a beautiful thing sometimes.

Doesn't make you a wrestling needle mover though.

Edited by Makhai

- Private Party vs Butcher & Blade vs Acclaimed (c) was good.
- Obnoxious Gunn's are funny. Nyla face turn?
- Moriarty vs Feugo was OK.
- Vance raising the stakes with Andrade.
- Willow vs Hayter was good. Hayter is over!
- Nemeth vs HOOK was OK. Trustbusters asking for trouble.
- Hangman lol.
- Rush vs Silver was my MOTN.

• Like 1