The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

It maybe me, but I don't see the character development, or storyline progression, with Skye Blue, or anyone for that matter, becoming heel because they got sprayed with mist. Like, why does it have to be the mist to explain why Skye is turning heel? Why not she just go heel due to all the lack of wins as a good girl? Really shouldn't take Julia Hart to spray her with the same thing that made her go bad. That, and I don't see the upside to Skye Blue who has more marketability as a babyface to go heel at this point. Would be better if she beats out the mist crap and stays true to being a good person. That is character. Not becoming a HoB member.

6 hours ago, FellaLibby said:

Would be better if she beats out the mist crap and stays true to being a good person. That is character.

To be fair, that DOES look like how they're taking the story with Willow, who I think would be even less marketable as a heel than Skye Blue. Unless you kept her music and made her like Firefly Funhouse Bray Wyatt or Harley Quinn. (I don't think I ever noticed before, but her entrance video says, "Nothing Matters, Smile Anyway" which can be either really positive or really creepy depending on how you play it.)

1 hour ago, Mootinie said:

At this point, I would be perfectly content with Julia, Skye and Willow leading up a spooky bitch heel faction in the women's division if it saves us from having to see the Outcasts.

The Outcasts alone are fine, but somehow together they're just ugh. 

Collision:

- Danielson vs Andrade was my MOTN. Unexpectedly clean finish. Black is back!
- Skye and Gunns squashes were OK. Devil!
- Stat getting her pump on with Lexy lol.
- JJ vs Kingston street fight was fun.
- Andretti vs Miro was solid.
- Ruby/Ang tension. They better have something interesting planned for LFI.
- Eddie with the killer promo.
- Thank you HoB for sparing us another squash match. FTR got wrecked.
- Claudia & Yuta vs Ricky & Bill was good. HoB making a statement. Mox!

BOTB:

- Cassidy (c) vs Silver was good.
- Nese vs Joe (c) was an OK squash.
- Willow vs Statlander (c) was my MOTN.
- Okada WTF!
- AssClaimed (c) vs Former JAS was solid.

7 hours ago, Mootinie said:

At this point, I would be perfectly content with Julia, Skye and Willow leading up a spooky bitch heel faction in the women's division if it saves us from having to see the Outcasts.

I think Willow will resist. Wouldn't mind Julia & Skye teaming up.

Collision was quite good. Miro vs Andretti was better than I expected. Still too many squashes. Good that they left quite some time for the main event again, they should do it every week for Collision.

I think it's the first time that Copeland didn't show up since his debut. I like it, it's better not having him on the show than just doing another promo, but I think he should be wrestling next week. He's not wrestling on Dynamite, I think, so I hope he will on Collision. Gotta keep him wrestling.

Oh, and the HOB takeover on Collision was awesome.

10 hours ago, aXminster said:

I saw this tweet yesterday and I swear to god that I had completely forgot she is in this company lol

Hasn't wrestled an AEW singles match after that stinker with Britt Baker. Yet another instance of the women's division in this company being a lot worse than the internet will ever let on.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Hasn't wrestled an AEW singles match after that stinker with Britt Baker. Yet another instance of the women's division in this company being a lot worse than the internet will ever let on.

She's wrestled 2 dark tag matches and 2 tag matches on Rampage since the Britt match (which was bad) but that was over a month ago. She wasn't getting over as a babyface. They had a chance to turn her heel and join the Outcasts after the Jade feud but it never happened. TK barely spends energy on creative for the women that are over so I'm not surprised Taya got cycled off TV.

Edited by milamber

43 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

Maybe the reason it's taking Thunder Rosa so long to be medically cleared is because she's seen how the division is being booked. "Oh, um, doctor, I just developed this cough. Cough. Hack...."

Reminder: She went into TK's office before Collision was set to debut. Thunder Rosa never came out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Lions said:

The women's division isn't perfect by any means but it's in a MUCH better place than it was when Thunder Rosa was champ... We get 2-3 women's matches a week instead of 1 and a squash match, and the quality of wrestling is way higher.

The implication, whether intentional or not, is that Rosa somehow dragged the division down during her reign. Which I disagree with. Remember, that was the same time that Jade was TBS champ, and much of the division was sacrificed to boost her up. And what a great long-term booking plan THAT turned out to be!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

The implication, whether intentional or not, is that Rosa somehow dragged the division down during her reign. Which I disagree with. Remember, that was the same time that Jade was TBS champ, and much of the division was sacrificed to boost her up. And what a great long-term booking plan THAT turned out to be!

Ok, I'll bite. I wasn't implying Rosa was the reason - I didn't say the women's division was worse a couple years ago with Britt and Rosa as the top stars, I said that the division right now is BETTER. Part of that is AEW putting more effort into giving more women characters and giving them more meaningful match time (which is a given with more TV time).

Thinking about it, I WOULD say that Rosa's title reign was a detriment to the women's division during that time, yes. Just like I would say Britt's reign was a down point because of her wrestling. After a red hot start to her feud with Britt and the critically acclaimed lights out match, her title win was a let down, and the fake out Revolution was the worst part of my favorite AEW PPV. AEW gave her plenty of chances in front of live crowds on the mic and she was passable at best. Her in-ring work was a step down because she was wrestling with injury. My personal opinion is the women's division turned a corner when Toni won the interim title, at least match quality wise. Thunder Rosa had matches with Jamie Hayter, Miyu Yamashita, and Toni Storm and they were all pretty average, not what you'd want to see with your champ wrestling some of the best wrestlers in the world. The only great match of her reign IMO was against Serena Deeb, though that feud was coupled with a pretty putrid build of horrible in ring segments.

Despite the negativity I do like Thunder Rosa and I think her reign would have been much better if she were healthier. She is walking into a better division than the one she left. There is a lot more competition at the top of the card than there was when she left, which I think is telling.

Full Gear last year had 3 meaningful women's matches on the main card. There's a non-zero chance we see that many (Shida defense, Kris defense, Outcast implosion), but I find that unlikely given the recent PPV booking trends for the ladies. If we're going to wax nostalgically about the women's division, last year's Full Gear is where your should be looking. The regression of women's matches on the main PPV cards is disappointing at best and concerning at worst.

Edited by John Lions
  • Like 3

Tony has got to stop putting these big matches on AEW Collision on Saturday. Omega vs. MJF could draw a huge PPV and they'll be lucky to get 500k to watch it Saturday.

Why even do it now anyway with Omega and MJF face? Shouldn't they turn Omega heel first?

It was never a good idea even when Punk was on Collision and there was a brand split. Now with Punk gone, AEW is just throwing away big matches.

Collision is the C-Show now and should be used primarily for recaps and feature underneath matches, not (arguably) the two biggest stars in the company. 

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

7 minutes ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Tony has got to stop putting these big matches on AEW Collision on Saturday. Omega and MJF could draw a huge PPV and they'll be lucky to get 500k to watch it Saturday.

Why even do it now anyway with Omega and MJF face? Shouldn't they turn Omega heel first?

It was never a good idea even when Punk was on Collision and there was a brand split. Now with Punk gone, AEW is just throwing away big matches.

Collision is the C-Show now and should be used primarily for recaps and feature underneath matches, not (arguably) the two biggest stars in the company. 

Saturday nights used to be a big wrestling night and can be again. 

TNT and aew are happy with the ratings for Collision. It's a solid start and putting big matches on a show is how to draw an audience. Aew is primarily a TV company. Of course they're going to have big matches on TV. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Tony has got to stop putting these big matches on AEW Collision on Saturday. Omega vs. MJF could draw a huge PPV and they'll be lucky to get 500k to watch it Saturday.

The first 8 episodes (minus the Canada pre-tape) of Collision were as good or better Dynamite. It went downhill a bit but picked up the last few weeks. I would say B+ for quality, B for ratings.

Could save the Kenny match for the December PPV but I think that will be MJF vs Joe. The PPVs are selling well enough that TK doesn't need to stack them too much. Long term it's a good idea to keep the TV ratings up by peppering in a few big matches.

Edited by milamber
  • Like 2

the whole story behind that match is that if mjf wins he surpasses omega for longest run with the big belt in the companies history, they've told that over the course of the last week of tv. this isn't nineteen canteen anymore, they're fine to do that match then have a follow up down the line.

• Like 3

Collision is absolutely not a C-show by any stretch of the imagination. 

• Like 2