The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

-One of the few times we've seen HOB not in control of a situation.

-Mariah May is CVS-brand Tiffany Stratton.

-When booking the main event of the go-home show before your PPV, maybe the guy who scores the pinfall should be a guy who actually has a MATCH at the PPV? Just a thought.

-Julia Hart & Skye Blue vs. Willow Nightingale & Kris Statlander on the pre-show. ... Haven't we seen that match already?

-Deeb calling herself the "Final Boss".... Hmmm....

6 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

-One of the few times we've seen HOB not in control of a situation.

-Mariah May is CVS-brand Tiffany Stratton.

-When booking the main event of the go-home show before your PPV, maybe the guy who scores the pinfall should be a guy who actually has a MATCH at the PPV? Just a thought.

-Julia Hart & Skye Blue vs. Willow Nightingale & Kris Statlander on the pre-show. ... Haven't we seen that match already?

-Deeb calling herself the "Final Boss".... Hmmm....

The promotional poster showing BOSSton as the city gave it away. It has popped ticket sales but what is the long term coherent story coming out of it? Remains to be seen.

21 hours ago, CQI13 said:

The promotional poster showing BOSSton as the city gave it away. It has popped ticket sales but what is the long term coherent story coming out of it? Remains to be seen.

I think Mercedes Mone/Sasha Banks is super botchy and dangerous, but having her debut against Serena would be a good way to protect her from herself. Deeb is one of the best in ring performers regardless of gender.

• Like 2

Also, Revolution was pretty dang good honestly. 

The 12 man on the pre show was a cluster fudge though. Way too many people involved.

The All Star Scramble had some weird moments were the younger talents looked incredibly lost when the veterans weren't in the ring.

Very thankful Sting won his retirement match and ended things his way. He's the reason I'm a wrestling fan and I was afraid the Bucks were going to insist on winning. 

Sting once said that after he finally retires he'd love to join a promotion's creative team. Wondering if that's still the case?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Very thankful Sting won his retirement match and ended things his way. He's the reason I'm a wrestling fan and I was afraid the Bucks were going to insist on winning.

Never once did I think the Bucks were gonna win for that reason, I imagined the exact opposite actually. That maybe Sting would insist on putting his opponents over like the old school mentality required wrestlers to do. Still the Bucks didn't really need that rub and it did put Darby over huge so can't complain.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dawn said:

Never once did I think the Bucks were gonna win for that reason, I imagined the exact opposite actually. That maybe Sting would insist on putting his opponents over like the old school mentality required wrestlers to do. Still the Bucks didn't really need that rub and it did put Darby over huge so can't complain.

Darby gets to choose his partner and keep the belts? Or do we get a tournament?

- 16-man Tag - Max choking again lol. - ***
- Crazy Forgotten Bastard! Great promo.
- Willow & Statlander vs Julia & Skye - *** 3/4

- Garcia vs Christian (c) - ****
- Danielson vs Kingston (c) - Non-talking backstage intros were cool. Handshake! - **** 1/4
- 8-Man Scramble - *** 1/4
- Cassidy (c) vs Roddy - OC lost 😮 Kyle! - ****
- BCC vs FTR - ****
- Deonna vs Toni (c) - Yet another women's match that needed more time to reach its full potential. Mariah fake-out entrance was perfect. - *** 3/4
- Takeshita vs Ospreay - My MOTY so far. - *****
- Swerve vs Hangman vs Joe (c) - Masterful storytelling. - **** 1/4
- Young Bucks vs Sting & Darby (c) - Great swansong for the Icon. Screw the fed for not giving up Sting's WCW footage. - **** 1/4

Great PPV. Hard to rate the matches because the quality was pretty consistent. Only 2 of them were skippable. No excuse for the only women's match on the main card lasting only 12 minutes. The Titantron setup looked fantastic.

• Like 2

Sting's Final Match was absolutely perfect in my opinion. All of it, from start to finish. Five stars. Even the speech afterwards, what a guy. AEW nailed it, it was graceful, it was classy, it was brutal! But it was note perfect and even though you guys are giving Tony stick, he runs the joint. He signed off on the most beautiful retirement match you could imagine. None of us wanted to see him lose. Did anybody else notice him breathe a huge sigh of relief when it was over? Haha. Bless him. It was all so lovely for Sting, I'm positive this is exactly how he wanted to go out. 

Revolution was a legit 9/10 wrestling show to me. Superb scenes. I'm loving AEW at the moment. They're cooking. It's so so good haha, what a time to be a wrestling fan. This and then Mania in a few weeks, it's just awesome for all of us right now.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Sting's Final Match was absolutely perfect in my opinion. All of it, from start to finish. Five stars. Even the speech afterwards, what a guy. AEW nailed it, it was graceful, it was classy, it was brutal! But it was note perfect and even though you guys are giving Tony stick, he runs the joint. He signed off on the most beautiful retirement match you could imagine. None of us wanted to see him lose. Did anybody else notice him breathe a huge sigh of relief when it was over? Haha. Bless him. It was all so lovely for Sting, I'm positive this is exactly how he wanted to go out. 

Revolution was a legit 9/10 wrestling show to me. Superb scenes. I'm loving AEW at the moment. They're cooking. It's so so good haha, what a time to be a wrestling fan. This and then Mania in a few weeks, it's just awesome for all of us right now.

I was quite disappointed by the match. Wish it was more of a cut and dry tag team match. Hated the glass spots. Felt scared for people around ringside whenever they shattered. Glad sting won but disappointed by how it went. 

• Like 1

Last night's show was solid. A few hiccups ("This opening segment with Joe and Swerve is really exciting! Quick, send out Adam Cole to make it suck!"), but overall very good. My pick for match of the night was Riho vs. Stat. Ospreay vs. Fletcher may have been better from a technical standpoint, but I honestly can't get invested in whether or not the bland white guy can triumph over the other bland white guy.

- Swerve's babyface turn is complete. Joe & Swerve vs The Kingdom was solid.

- Backstage teaser announcement for a live announcement lol.

- Hook (c) vs Cage was solid.

- Killswitch vs Daddy Magic was a solid squash. Copeland!

- Nice to have Kyle back.

- Poor Bucks having to drop their bad friends. Eddie lol. OKADA! Mid-show debut caught me by surprise. Rainmaker to Eddie!

- Statlander vs Riho was very good.

- Fun backstage segment with Toni. I want to see Deonna vs Mariah.

- No rest for Darby.

- Sounded like HoB wanted an Inferno match.

- Ospreay vs Fletcher was my MOTN. Dragon queuing up his next 5 star match.

I like the new set with the tunnels and EVPvator. The graphics look too much like NXT 2.0.

He has never been a favorite of mine, but to see a top wrestler like Bryan Danielson used like this must be a criminal act. Stuck for months fighting outlaw mudshow matches alongside Moxley, and now defeated by Eddie Kingston who god good is soooo bad in the ring that I don't understand at all how he can have fans of his in-ring skills. It's all tragically comical at this point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Big Roguey said:

What does "outlaw mudshow matches" even mean? Like genuinely?

I'm not sure who coined this term, but to me outlaw mudshow matches are those small promotion hokey hardcore cluster**** matches in which there is not even a hint of in-ring psychology or logic, lots of weapons are randomly used and abused, consequently detracting from the strength of each. Every Mr. Nobody kicks out of chair shots, broken tables, huge bumps, thumbstacks, hell probably even from a burst of shots in the chest with an AK47 at this point. No selling whatsover. In short, the classic Jon Moxley match.

• Like 1

Okay so removing the hyperbole, it sounds like you just don't like hardcore wrestling (although from my limited watching of AEW shows, it feels like that description doesn't quite fit every Jon Moxley match). I feel like there is an easier way of saying that than repeating buzzword phrases coined by Jim Cornette.

• Confused 1

Eddie Kingston is a better professional wrestler than the Young Bucks any day of the week and a better character, talker, and more believable.

Comparing him to death match clowns is pretty idiotic.

• Like 3