The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

Random observation while watching Collision, but I see Nigel and Tony at ringside, but their commentary seemed off. Like it was done after the show was done and they were aware of things happening ahead of time. Their commentary just doesn't seem "live" and I know the show was taped Thursday, so I wonder if something was wrong with their original commentary or am I just paying way too much attention?

I just chalked it up to the fact that they're acclimating to just the two of them in the booth. Nigel does seem to play off Kevin Kelly better, but if what I've heard about him is true, good riddance. AEW isn't hurting for competent play-by-play guys- Excalibur, Tony, Ian, Coleman, etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

I just chalked it up to the fact that they're acclimating to just the two of them in the booth. Nigel does seem to play off Kevin Kelly better, but if what I've heard about him is true, good riddance. AEW isn't hurting for competent play-by-play guys- Excalibur, Tony, Ian, Coleman, etc.

Ideally, I'd move Ian to Collision with Nigel and Tony and hire Joe Dombrowski from MLW for ROH. That's just my Joe fanboy in me wanting him in a major promotion. One of the best promoters in Ohio history imo

If Ian doesn't want to move to Collision full time, bring in Joe for Collision 😄

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 3:51 PM, Jaysin said:

It's perfectly fine to dislike him or his style, but saying he's bad is just your opinion.

I think we could discuss a lot on this point Jay! I think some things are just pretty bad and looks bad, like his machine gun (?) chops and kick, etc. But I understand that personal taste tends to influence this feeling a lot.

21 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Random observation while watching Collision, but I see Nigel and Tony at ringside, but their commentary seemed off. Like it was done after the show was done and they were aware of things happening ahead of time. Their commentary just doesn't seem "live" and I know the show was taped Thursday, so I wonder if something was wrong with their original commentary or am I just paying way too much attention?

They record it and then get the commentators in the studio to do other bits. It happens (happened?) on Rampage too where Excalibur would say something that was obviously recorded after the fact and put into the show. They probably did the same with Collision.

1 hour ago, Mootinie said:

They record it and then get the commentators in the studio to do other bits. It happens (happened?) on Rampage too where Excalibur would say something that was obviously recorded after the fact and put into the show. They probably did the same with Collision.

That's what I was thinking went on. It just didn't feel natural at all. Like Tony and Nigel are two of my favorite personalities in wrestling and I just didn't enjoy them as much as I usually do. 

I still think we are going to get Nigel vs Bryan before Bryan hangs it up though. 

I miss Nigel in the ring.

- Excited to have Mercedes Mone in AEW. CEO chants are going to get annoying quick but it got the crowd engaged.

- The Book of Cole... Hobbs should sue.

- Joe vs Wardlow (c) was good. Swerve destroying security like he's Wardlow lol.

- It's Kazuchika you dumbass.

- The Elite vs Death Triangle 2.0 was good.

- Love Ospreay's enthusiasm. Restore the feeling... that's Garcia's line.

- Deonna calling in Britt?

- White vs Darby was my MOTN. Clean win! RIP Darby and the BBSG.

- LionHook vs Gates of Agony was solid but should have been a quick squash against jobbers.

- I hope Kyle stays healthy.

- Willow vs Riho was very good for a sub-10 minute match. Nice video package beforehand. Women's angle to end the show!

So, uh, where were Kris and Stokely when Willow was getting beat up? We know they were in the building, because they came out in the entrance. Obviously, the Doylist answer is "Mercedes needed to make the save because it's her show tonight". But what about the Watsonian answer? Hopefully, they tie it in to the ongoing story instead of pulling another "Satnam Singh didn't help out Jarrett and Lethal even though it would have been perfectly legal since it was a Street Fight because... uh... reasons."

It's also funny Riho apparently didn't give a crap. She couldn't have gotten THAT far away.

"Riho, Willow Nightingale is getting assaulted by Julia Hart and Skye Blue!"

"To hell with her, she beat me."

"But she gave you that show of respect afterwards."

"Respect don't pay bills, does it?!?"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

So, uh, where were Kris and Stokely when Willow was getting beat up?

There was a post-show video showing that Kris had been attacked backstage. I haven't seen it, but I gather it was presented in a way that she could have been lying about it if they're planning a Statlander heel turn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

It's also funny Riho apparently didn't give a crap. She couldn't have gotten THAT far away.

"Riho, Willow Nightingale is getting assaulted by Julia Hart and Skye Blue!"

"To hell with her, she beat me."

"But she gave you that show of respect afterwards."

"Respect don't pay bills, does it?!?"

C'mon, man. You know defeated wrestlers automatically teleport backstage to the trainer's room when they get out of sight of the cameras. :D Even if that's not true, wrestlers have been having vision and especially hearing gaps forever.

More seriously, though, I'd think of it as Willow's powerbomb is just that strong. Riho could do nothing but limp slowly to the back.

And in full seriousness I do think it would have hurt Willow's finish if tiny little Riho could shrug it off enough in a maybe a minute or two to rush to the rescue. Small wrestlers who eat powerhouse finishers should not in condition to do anything useful afterward outside of match conditions, where it can be excused via adrenaline.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:35 AM, Matt_Black said:

AEW: We're bringing the rankings back! Wins and losses matter!

Also AEW: We're giving Trish Adora a TBS title match even though she's never had a win on TV.

I liked the synergy of the 3 Infantry vs 3 HoB members on the one show. Wasn't it advertised as an open challenge? As for the rankings... I have no idea what happened to them.

- Danielson vs Shibata was my MOTN.
- Julia (c) vs Adora was solid.
- Garcia vs Moriarty was solid but too short.
- PAC vs Solo was a solid squash.
- Great Danielson promo.
- Claudio vs Archer was good. Shibata coming out to help was cool.
- Kyle vs Keith was good.
- HoB vs Infantry was a solid extended squash. Shock finish was nice but not the best pick for main event.
- Spike!

Edited by milamber

Watching Collision and Nigel and Tony are gelling much better than they did last week. They're developing a fun chemistry. I've always enjoyed three man booths for some strange reason, but I'd be okay if Tony and Nigel are a lengthy duo. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 10:41 PM, milamber said:

I liked the synergy of the 3 Infantry vs 3 HoB members on the one show. Wasn't it advertised as an open challenge? As for the rankings... I have no idea what happened to them.

I think my problem with it is that the one women's match on the show was basically there to set up a match for the men. It's similar to my issues with the Saraya/ Ruby storyline.

You rarely see it play out the other way.

• Like 1

AEW has done well to keep ratings relatively consistent with MJF off TV. 

I have to think Riho vs. Nightengale drew viewers (relatively) well. Toni Storm and Julia Hart probably are the most over in the women's division right now, and neither were involved in that match. 

AEW deserves major credit for keeping business stable without their biggest star.

2 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

AEW has done well to keep ratings relatively consistent with MJF off TV. 

I have to think Riho vs. Nightengale drew viewers (relatively) well. Toni Storm and Julia Hart probably are the most over in the women's division right now, and neither were involved in that match. 

AEW deserves major credit for keeping business stable without their biggest star.

Uhh, no, the entire thing did absolutely terribly in the ratings.

gX0V5iV.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mootinie said:

Uhh, no, the entire thing did absolutely terribly in the ratings.

gX0V5iV.jpeg

Given that the main event was A) an AEW woman's division match and b) both women were in the midcard and 3) it was a face vs. face match, the main event drew better than expected. 

AEW has started to book the women better and we're starting to see results. 

AEW will lose ratings when MJF is off TV. You'd expect to see a drop-off without MJF -- AEW has done good to keep most their audience intact. 

(Also, AEW's 800,000 for big business doesn't include the overrun. With that included, the number probably would've been a smidge higher)

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Did that many people genuinely only tune in for MJF? Such a weird thing if true. I like him and everything, but so many of his promos were typical edgelord stuff. 

His crowd reactions were always really good, even if the content wasn't always there. 

Fans really lapped up that Jay White promo even though admittedly the content didn't land. That Tofu chant was over for a bit. When you take away a major star, it hurts crowd reaction, which in turn will make it harder to keep viewers. 

Plus, he was at the center of the biggest storyline in the company (Adam Cole vs. MJF) and fighting with both the biggest heel factions (Undisputed Kingdom and Bullet Club Gold). If nothing else, AEW would be hurt essentially having to put those two storylines on ice until MJF heals. 

They're definitely missing Max.

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

1 hour ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

His crowd reactions were always really good, even if the content wasn't always there. 

Fans really lapped up that Jay White promo even though admittedly the content didn't land. That Tofu chant was over for a bit. When you take away a major star, it hurts crowd reaction, which in turn will make it harder to keep viewers. 

Plus, he was at the center of the biggest storyline in the company (Adam Cole vs. MJF) and fighting with both the biggest heel factions (Undisputed Kingdom and Bullet Club Gold). If nothing else, AEW would be hurt essentially having to put those two storylines on ice until MJF heals. 

They're definitely missing Max.

I'm not missing him at all personally and hope he leaves the company. A change of scenery would be lovely for him and someone teaching him the art of doing promos without constant cheap heat would be wonderful. He's a good talker, just content is lacking more often than not in my opinion.