The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

5 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

It should be noted that Dynamite saw a significant ratings bump over last week. 

As expected Matt. Back over 800k right? After a slow decline, this week they finally had a decent bump not because people were interested about the show, but thanks to promoting a backstage scuffle video between one of their former employees, who's a major draw in another promotion, and one of their current employees, who passed as weak. A cheap one-week bump it's all they got, and we're not talking about incredible numbers anyway.

People tuned in to see the drama, and without drama next week they won't show up again, 'cause the product is just bad unfortunately. TV ratings are stagnant, there is no growth despite throwing millions and millions of dollars on free agents in the last 2/3 months. They signed the "best wrestler in the world" and after a couple of weeks they booked him to a 20 MINUTES (!!!) match to be able to defeat an unknown midcarder like Kyle Fletcher. They signed NJPW icon Kazuchika Okada, immediately paired him with The Young Bucks who are in an endless downward spiral, and made him win a tertiary useless championship. They need to change things asap, they're dying and lots of fans just begun to realize it.

Edited by Wrestling Machine
  • Like 1

@Wrestling Machine ummmm actually the cagematch ratings say Osprey and Okada are putting on banger after banger so you’re factually wrong. Also Meltzer says the Bucks are the greatest tag team ever so they can’t be on a downward spiral. All fans care about is work rate so they just need to keep pumping out matches 4* and above every week and 5* on ppv because thats what truly matters. 

I say all that sarcastically but I know there are some that would be dead serious saying that. 

• Haha 3

i will give you all five of the queen’s english pounds if you can make a point about aew without being weirdly hyperbolic about it

edit: sorry, i forgot the queen died. five of the king’s english pounds i guess?

Edited by Big Roguey
important clarification regarding the state of british monarchy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I just want to watch pro wrestling and be distracted from the garbage in the real world for a few hours a week. So much unneeded drama that reminds me of the worst eras of my wrestling fandom. This is BATB2000 or Victory Road 2011 levels of embarrassing.

• Like 5

Man, Jack Perry's career is certainly over after that damning footage of him not fighting back after a coworker took a cheap shot at him and attacked him!

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the clips posted above. I should have posted this take a couple days ago!

Edited by John Lions
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll give you guys Ospreay. Tony Khan needs to learn that being a big deal in NJPW (or NXT for that matter) does not mean somebody is a big deal.

Will Ospreay cuts promos like Bert from Mary Poppins is chewing on a mouthful of marbles.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

It's Chicago. If they were shown footage of CM Punk taking a bulldozer to an orphanage, their reaction would probably be, "Little brats had it coming."

Yet all Jack managed to get was mockery.  I'm just sayin', if he thinks he can ride this CM Punk business to superstardom he might be in for a rude awakening.

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

It's Chicago. If they were shown footage of CM Punk taking a bulldozer to an orphanage, their reaction would probably be, "Little brats had it coming."

To be fair, they probably did ;)

7 hours ago, MightyDavidson said:

Yet all Jack managed to get was mockery.  I'm just sayin', if he thinks he can ride this CM Punk business to superstardom he might be in for a rude awakening.

Again, in Chicago. Kenny Omega got booed in Chicago following his incident with Punk, and Kenny by all accounts is a wonderful human being, and absolutely over anywhere else AEW happens to be in.

• Like 2

Airing the footage has made the wrestling journalists look like right fools. From monitors apparently being thrown about everywhere, to Tony being buried under monitors, to the rumour that Punk put his hands on Tony personally, to the report that Punk bloodied Perry up and beat him up badly... none of what they said happened actually happened😂

If all your wrestling journo mates and all the sheeties are ragging on AEW, just remember that Tony showing the footage has made all of them look foolish. None of them reported it was a light scuffle and a bit of handbags. None of them reported that Paul Turner was the first to break it up. None of them said diddly squat about Chris Hero being on the scene either. They're all bound to be against it because the footage contradicts their reporting.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MightyDavidson said:

Just curious here, did you watch the match before you commented on it? Perry had the crowd in the palm of his hand. They were living and dying by his every move, and by the end he had actually turned them in his favor. It was electric; the atmosphere was incredible. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

They're having a non-title match on their show that's supposed to be nothing BUT title matches. *facepalm*

Technically if it's called Battle OF the Belts, any edition that doesn't feature two belts fighting for the DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship is false advertising.

Collision:

- I like when they show footage from other promotions. Good BCC promo.
- HoB vs Dante, Sydal & Andretti was good. Darius out living the gimmick.
- Toni lol. Backstage Taz.
- Shibata vs Moriarty was good.
- ROH women finally getting some shine in AEW.
- Garcia vs Angelico was solid.
- Great having PAC back. Book him as much as possible before his next forced hiatus.
- Toni vs AZM was great. They deserved the big crowd reaction.
- New record for number of women's promos on a single show. Loved Rosa's passionate promo.
- BCC vs Don Callis Family was my MOTN.

BOTB X:

- Taylor vs HOOK (c) was good.
- Roddy vs Rocky was good but should have been a title match. Leave Kyle alone!
- Another women's division promo :)
- Athena (c) vs Velvet was my MOTN. Aminata wih the save!

On 4/11/2024 at 1:36 PM, Jaysin said:

This entire thing is embarrassing for everyone involved. Everyone looks immature and childish. Airing the footage is braindead and in line with something Vince Russo would do on his worst day. I was enjoying the heel Buck schtick at first, but now I just want them to go away. I've always found them incredibly overrated, but now I just outright have negative interest in seeing them on my screens.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:22 AM, Matt_Black said:

It should be noted that Dynamite saw a significant ratings bump over last week. 

AEW definitely does chase TV ratings -- similar to what Vince Russo did in WCW -- on their shows. 

Overall, I think the company would do better building storylines and characters slowly even it means a ratings drop in the short-term.

(Obviously, AEW isn't nearly as bad as Russo's WCW. But they do sometimes book with some of the same logic -- hence why WCW 2000 was trending on social media during AEW Dynamite)

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

- The NJPW Champ is here. Mone is ticked off.
- Copeland & Willow vs Brody & Julia was solid. Not enough women's action but Julia's probably still recovering from injury. Mone backing down out of respect for Copeland was a nice touch.
- Joe talking crap about Swerve.
- Elite vs Garcia, Penta & PAC was good. Matthew with the play-by-play lol.
- Jericho Vortex segment was funny. Just don't drag the feud out.
- Mariah vs Deonna was solid. Rosa destroying Luther and giving Toni a makeover was great.
- Cassidy vs Taylor was solid. Vicious Trent.
- Ospreay vs Claudio was my MOTN. Giant swing counter popped me.
- Swerve stomping all the security was cool. Joe looking strong before he loses at Dynasty.

- Copeland, Briscoe & Kingston vs Top Flight Action was good.
- Hobbs squash was OK.
- Gunn Club vs Acclaimed was solid.
- Another gold Toni promo.
- BCC vs DCF Bunkhouse Brawl was fun. Nigel's clam digger apology lol.
- FU! Willow going to break a spooky bitch at Dynasty.
- Skye vs Hirsch was solid.
- Elite vs PAC & FTR was my MOTN.
- Average Rampage. Emi did well to cover for Yuka's injury. Angelo/Ruby segment was heartwarming.

• Like 1