The NWA Discussion Thread

Jaysin

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46898" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I’m 90% sure it’s Jocephus</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I guess this is why they don't hesitate to job the character out since he will be pushed as a new character at the same time.</p><p> </p><p> The Question Mark/Aaron Stevens tag team is the best thing yet. I hope they get put in the tag title scene and make the division exciting.</p>

Tried to watch NWA Powerr, sadly the Cult of Cornette was out in force and they were commenting faster then I could block them.

Isn't there an option to turn all comments off? Or is that not possible for live viewing (I've yet to try watching live myself, but the comments were usually off by default when I watch)?

Yeah, NEVER watch a Youtube livestream with the comments on. I had the comments on for like 30 seconds of an episode of AEW Dark and it was just WWE fanboys trolling and AEW fanboys arguing with them.

(At least there wasn't any racism going on though, which I'm assuming puts it a step above what the Powerrrrrrrrrrrr chat looks like at the moment.)

Yeah, NEVER watch a Youtube livestream with the comments on. I had the comments on for like 30 seconds of an episode of AEW Dark and it was just WWE fanboys trolling and AEW fanboys arguing with them.

(At least there wasn't any racism going on though, which I'm assuming puts it a step above what the Powerrrrrrrrrrrr chat looks like at the moment.)

NWA Powerr chat is pretty much Cornette fans blathering on about how "essential" he is to the NWA and repeating Cornette's racist comment as if it was the cleverest thing in the world.

Stu Bennett as new commentator is awesome.

I like Aldis naming Tim Storm as his referee of choice.

It's amazing how well the PPV matches are being built up with (sometimes less than) 1 hour of TV time per week while the bigger companies with multiple shows are struggling to build more than 2 matches (often less) well on their PPVs. The only match without a strong story is Question Mark vs Murdoch, and the Question Mark is so over that the crowd will probably be going crazy for it anyway with or without a story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>So...following Eddie Murphy's episode of SNL (and specifically his Gumby segment on Weekend Update), NWA's own Dave Marquez may have wound up stepping back onto the minefield that was the fallout from Jim Cornette's joke...</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedOther">

<iframe data-embedid="5f5c88c1084e1051ae6fab5e17f1a1e4" allowfullscreen="" data-embed-src="<___base_url___>/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://twitter.com/CWFHMarquez/status/1209014610533027841"></iframe>

</div>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="fullMETAL" data-cite="fullMETAL" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46898" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So...following Eddie Murphy's episode of SNL (and specifically his Gumby segment on Weekend Update), NWA's own Dave Marquez may have wound up stepping back onto the minefield that was the fallout from Jim Cornette's joke...<p> </p><p> </p><div class="ipsEmbeddedOther"> <iframe data-embedid="3e8a4ed830bba8c605ac5110133d6c63" allowfullscreen="" data-embed-src="<___base_url___>/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://twitter.com/CWFHMarquez/status/1209014610533027841"></iframe> </div></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yup, I saw that earlier. You'd think the guy would have the common sense to let it go. Also I guess he's really against getting new fans for NWA Powerrrr.</p>

Damn, the top heel stable plague has infected NWA too. :( Aldis was straddling the respectable tweener line perfectly, and I hate that they've turned him into yet another boring blatant heel. And why would Kamile cost him the first fall at Into the Fire if they were always on the same side?

The 6:05 time limit for the tournament qualifier is....different. I wonder what's the exact reasoning behind. Why 6:05? I don't hate this, just genuinely curious. When they first announced the title i was rather dubious, as I don't think they have a big enough roster to warrant having 3 singles titles, but maybe if they make this time limit a standard rule for all matches involving the title (and not just the tournament qualifiers), maybe that can help give a more unique identity to it, kind of like the old FCW 15 Championship, and help differentiate it from the World and National Title. I always thought the concept of a "TV Title" is rather weak unless the World title is never defended on normal TV, which is not the case for NWA.

Aaron Stevens and Question Mark need to make good on the promise to go after the tag titles asap.

SHOOTER Stevens & The Question Mark are a great duo! I'm loving what they are doing. It needs to be said though, I don't like the Nick Aldis heel turn at all. I liked him just being like Okada, in the sense of he's the champion. He's not a good guy or a bad guy. He is just the top man in the company & will back up whatever he says. He can be a jerk or be very respectful, depending on the person. I liked that a lot about his reign. The stable just kinda paints him into a bland box. Still loving NWA Powerrr, just not liking that aspect of it.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="JackKnifed72" data-cite="JackKnifed72" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46898" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>From the late 1970s through the 1980s...first Georgia Championship Wrestling then Jim Crockett Promotions, two stalwarts of the NWA had their weekly Saturday night wrestling show on TBS starting at 6:05 pm</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks! Makes sense to me now.</p><p> </p><p> The more I think about it, the more I think they should keep the time limit for all matches involving this title (maybe they will, which would make me a very happy man). It even works well with the concept of a "title for TV", underlining that there isn't enough time on a TV show for wrestlers to put on 60-minute spectacles, and they're under pressure to win fast and gives it a distinct identity from the other singles titles.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="nerodragomir1" data-cite="nerodragomir1" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46898" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It needs to be said though, I don't like the Nick Aldis heel turn at all. I liked him just being like Okada, in the sense of he's the champion. He's not a good guy or a bad guy. He is just the top man in the company & will back up whatever he says. He can be a jerk or be very respectful, depending on the person. I liked that a lot about his reign.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Totally agree, especially since it really helped to set him apart from all the generic heel stable leader champions in all the other companies.</p>

If WCW was anything to go by, my guesstimate is that TV Title matches will have hard-coded time limits of either 15 or 20 minutes, with any changes to that number being for "special" title matches.

Additionally, I think the TV Title should ONLY be limited to being defended on Powerrr, on the TV shows of the NWA affiliates (maybe not even that, maybe only Powerrr), and on the annual Anniversary show, and never be defended on any other PPVs or special events throughout the calendar, to give people a championship reason to invest in Powerrr long-term.

It's called the Television Championship for a reason (not the PPV Championship or the TV & PPV Championship).

That's just my own opinion though.

So if having Aldis, Kamille and the Wild Cards as the top group in the NWA was the plan all along, why did they have the Wild Cards drop the titles to the Rock and Roll Express? I mean sure they were an awesome team back in their heyday but that was a long time ago, surely Ricky and Robert ought to be putting over the tag champs these days not becoming them? Just makes the Wild Cards look weak.

If WCW was anything to go by, my guesstimate is that TV Title matches will have hard-coded time limits of either 15 or 20 minutes, with any changes to that number being for "special" title matches.

Additionally, I think the TV Title should ONLY be limited to being defended on Powerrr, on the TV shows of the NWA affiliates (maybe not even that, maybe only Powerrr), and on the annual Anniversary show, and never be defended on any other PPVs or special events throughout the calendar, to give people a championship reason to invest in Powerrr long-term.

It's called the Television Championship for a reason (not the PPV Championship or the TV & PPV Championship).

That's just my own opinion though.

Has defending it only on TV ever actually been a thing? You can go all the way back to Dusty Rhodes winning the TV title at The Great American Bash 85. I mean, technically it was on closed-circuit TV but that was just an early form of PPV.

From the late 1970s through the 1980s...first Georgia Championship Wrestling then Jim Crockett Promotions, two stalwarts of the NWA had their weekly Saturday night wrestling show on TBS starting at 6:05 pm

Unless the Braves were on then the show would be preempted into oblivion. That was the main reason why I hate the Braves to this day. They would be the absolute worst team in the National League and they still took priority over wrestling. Then they got good in the 90's and it became even more terrible.:D

Has defending it only on TV ever actually been a thing? You can go all the way back to Dusty Rhodes winning the TV title at The Great American Bash 85. I mean, technically it was on closed-circuit TV but that was just an early form of PPV.

WCW in the 90's was quite prolific with having the TV Title being defended on TV, most notably during the title runs of Eddy Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho, Booker T, Fit Finlay, and (believe it or not) even Disco Inferno at his most white-hot.

As a related thing, Championship Wrestling from Hollywood (NWA's go-to TV affiliate thing) has done a remarkable job making sure the UWN Television Title actually gets defended ON their CWfH TV show.

Not as remarkable a job in having it defended very often (if at all) on their Arizona show though.