The NWA Discussion Thread

Jaysin

<p>The no entrance music thing was a staple with studio wrestling. The show is being presented as authentic as possible. </p><p> </p><p>

I have enjoyed the first 3 episodes so far, you know what I love the most tho? THERE'S NOT SPOT MONKEY WRESTLING!</p><p> </p><p>

Guys are actually having to tell a story in the ring, they aren't out there to hit 20 high spots and go home. This drives me insane with a lot of wrestling these days. Guys go out and hit nothing but high spots, and flips n flops and dives. Do they not realize that 2 high spots are better and more meaningful in a match then 30?</p><p> </p><p>

I am happy to see tho that their first ppv sold out, and happy to see that Corgan and Lagana are really trying to make the NWA a household name again. Best of luck, and I will be along for the ride.</p>

Episode 2 was a better viewing experience for me, since I actually enjoyed 3 out of 4 matches, especially the opener. Also perfect post-show reactions for both wrestlers in that match. It's a relief, since I had been struggling to decide whether I should keep watching a wrestling show where I'm not enjoying the matches. The promos are still of high standards, and it's something I wish there's more of in AEW.

I don't think I'm going to be a fan of the Wild Cards though, since that's 2 weeks in a row that I can't stay interested in their matches. I didn't even care that the match ended via no contest due to interference. On the other hand, though, Nick Aldis might be the best-portrayed World Champion in American Wrestling right now.

NWA POWERRRRRRR (Episode 4 - Thoughts)

- James Storm v Cabana? Are we meant to like Storm because he comes across as a dick.

- Why does Eli run in an try and motivate everyone? Is this his gimmick? I like him but this part of his character is just weird.

- Nick Aldis is great and saves this segment.

- Harley Race. Dory Funk. Ric Flair. but dont forget Ron Killings.

- Joe Galli is a pest - go away heat from this guy

- Yess! I love me some Trevor Murdoch this guy deserve the world title.

- Evolve's JD Drake would be amazing here.

- Murdoch v Jocephus was bad.

- Not a fan of Aron Stevens new character.

- Umm wtf? Ricky Starks & Aron Stevens? Are we meant to like one of these guys?

- Dawsons vs Homicide and Kingston - I really dont like The Dawsons im hoping this is their last match in NWA and Homicide and Kingston can move on from these lumps

- please end this match this is not fun.

- I need to stop watching this show live so i can skip some of this shit (NO MORE DAWSONS!)

- not a fan of the buddy-buddy dynamics in the womens division are these the best women wrestlers or Allysins Kays friends?

- Marti Bell v Ashley Vox - i was just hoping Thunder Rosa would come and squash them both. NEXT.

- and they introduce Thunder Rosa like that...

- Aron Stevens should become Jocephus stunt double.

- its good to finally see Aron Stevens wrestle! The show has finally lifted

- Bad finish. Again im confused if Rickys heel or not?

- I actually hate Aron Stevens when he talks. Im back to where i felt during the Dawsons match. I dont know if i can took much more of this.

- Maybe their is no face/heel divide? Maybe youre just not meant to like anyone.

- Whats are the stakes for everyone else in this 6 man tag match why would Wildcards want to help Storm? Are Kingston & Homicide going to come out? The Dawsons?

- Jim Cornette had the perfect explanation of Elis gimmick - "He was just standing there"

- I HATE wrestling punches.

- End of a meh 3 v 3 yeah that was a shmoz

- this is definetly the worst NWA episode ive seen so far and last live viewing for sure.

Takeaways

- Eli Drake is the best but has nothing to do even though everyones got nothing to do.

- Dawsons suck.

- give Eddie Kingston the mic

- maybe its just my age but i do not understand old school style of wrestling. Is it meant to look more realistic? Because i definetly do not get that vibe from NWA it feels more like Cartoon Wrestling? Maybe im wrong

- Sign JD Drake hes perfect for NWA

-

Probably the weakest over all show NWA has done in the Powerrr era. Still solid though.

It wasn't even that weak in my opinion. The main event was solid, The Dawsons were having a fun brawl with Homicide and Kingston until the Wild Cards interfered and no match was out and out horrible. A bit surprised they had Ricky Starks go over Aron Stevens admittedly but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Still an episode behind (too much wrestling content these days and it's hard to devote enough time to watch everything) but NWA needs to legit produce that pirate movie. I'd buy a ticket to the theaters AND buy the home video DVD. And push Aaron Stevens to the main event asap.

Nick Aldis continues to be awesome even without having a match. It's hard to find a "classy" character in pro-wrestling that isn't portrayed as some high-society snob who talks down to everyone, but Aldis hits the perfect balance of being respectable and classy without coming off as an arrogant snob. This is the perfect image a promotion's champion ought to portray. There's too many babyfaces who are either the goofy smiley nice guys that WWE loves to use or the deliberately and needlessly vulgar "anti-heroes" who try too hard to be "edgy'. This is a refreshing change.

I really want to get behind Tim Storm's character, the story is great, but he's really showing his age in the ring. I don't expect everyone to be a Ric Flair, but he's not even a Dustin Rhodes. It's kind of hard for me to get into his matches.

I would posit that Tim Storm puts his best matches on with somebody of a completely different style to him.

If you've seen any of his matches against Peter Avalon (but really, you should see all of them, as opposed to just one, in order and with the pre-match promos attached like on Championship Wrestling From Hollywood), Peter's weaselly win-at-all-costs style meshed really well with Storm's old-school power/grapple type.

The Storm/Avalon feud has been done in such a way over the past few years that you only wind up rooting for one of them over the other, with no middle ground whatsoever, and good face/heel feuds should all strive to achieve that result.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MightyDavidson" data-cite="MightyDavidson" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46898" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Tuned in late alas, James Storm vs Colt Cabana was good though. Dawsons vs Kingston/Homicide is a pretty good brawl as well.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The stuff with Kamille was interesting, I just wish that the finish was the focus instead of what was going on ringside. If it wasn’t for the replay I would have had no idea how Colt suddenly got a pin.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46898" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The stuff with Kamille was interesting, I just wish that the finish was the focus instead of what was going on ringside. If it wasn’t for the replay I would have had no idea how Colt suddenly got a pin.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well I certainly agree with you there. At least use a split screen or something, so we can see both situations.</p>

I might be the only one who really isnt sold on Ricky Starks, unless they have plans of pushing him as a douchebag heel.

I was under the impression that was exactly what he was the first time I saw him....then they start booking him against heel Aaron Stevens, and I'm no longer sure. I don't think NWA has a very strict face/heel divide, and he certainly gets babyface reactions, but I kind of perceive him as a heel personally. :p

Finally caught up on the latest episodes. I'm having the opposite kind of feeling I have for AEW. In AEW, the tag team division is the most exciting to me. In NWA, the tag title scene is the only one that I just don't care about. I like what's been happening with the World, National and Women's Champions, and most of the non-title feuds. There's just one that I still don't really get what they're trying to do. The Jocephus character seems like it's supposed to be a prominent one, he gets promo time and has his name in the intro package unlike other jobbers...but he gets booked like all the jobbers and gets squashed all the time. No idea what's up with that.

NWA Power - Episode 6 (Rant)

For me, NWA just gets worse and worse. This is by far the worst episode ive seen of NWA, maybe wrestling in general.

The talking segments are so overdone and everything said in a segment this episode has definetly been said before. Being apart of the studio audience for all these Talking segments would make me want to shoot myself.

NWA is the home of the Squash match and i have no problems with squash matches but when theyre every single episode i pray for a skip button.

NWA has shown me that whatever format of wrestling this is, it is SUPER boring.

Also, is there anyone on this roster I am meant to root for or is everyone meant to come across like a douchebag.

WTF happened at the end? I love storylines the most and NWA has 0 interesting stories.

So far, I'm loving the length of the show. A tight 1 hour show is a great way to consume wrestling. I'm still getting acclimated to the roster, but I am looking forward to the show each week,so I'll keep watching.

What I'm not enjoying is the campy humor and Colt Cabana, which is kind of related. I just can't buy Colt''s move set. It''s too show-y, and his ankles-on-ankles, push up pin is too ridiculous to buy. I love old school NWA, which I thought is what we would be getting. But there is too much silliness, and I'm afraid it might get to be too much for me at some point.

Finally, I wish there was a more concrete face/heel divide. It''s taking me out of the matches because I never know who I should be cheering for. Maybe that'll get easier once I get more invested in the roster.

All that aside, I continue to look forward to the show each week, so I'll keep watching.