TEW2020 Attribute Suggestion Thread

Samoan Bloodline - This wrestler is part of wrestling's extended Samoan family. Will automatically have the equivalent to a loyalty relationship with any other worker with this attribute they have no other personal relationship with.

Thought this could be a good way to simulate the Samoan family dynamics without Adam/mod-makers having to put in relationships for everyone on the family tree. You'd still want the usual personal relationships to reflect close personal family like siblings, parent/child, maybe direct cousins. Could also have some unique flavour backstage, like older members mentoring younger members or clique-forming backstage. Which leads into...

Part of the Family: This worker is held in high regard by wrestling's extended Samoan family. Automatically has the equivalent to a loyalty relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute.

Out of the Family: This member of wrestling's extended Samoan family has managed to anger the wider family, automatically has the equivalent to a 'family feud' relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute, but 'loyalty' to any worker with the 'Out of the Family' attribute.

Foe of the Family: This worker has managed to draw the ire of wrestling's extended Samoan family. Automatically has the equivalent to a 'strong dislike' relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute. (This one could be a temporary, or have a temporary equivalent as well)

Banned from the Island: This worker is seen as an intrinsic enemy of wrestling's extended Samoan family; even their children are raised on tales of their devilishness. Automatically has the equivalent to a 'hatred' relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anything similar has already been suggested, so apologies if that's the case...

Independent Advocate

This worker is an independent wrestling enthusiast and will not sign an exclusive deal with any promotion above medium size.

(NB: But they would sign a contract extension, for example)

Ultimate Indie Darling

This worker is all about sticking it to the machine and keeping independent wrestling alive. They will refuse to sign any deal or extend their contract with any promotion above medium size.

Primed For The Big Time

This worker holds little regard for independent wrestling and will not sign any exclusive or long term deals with a promotion smaller than medium size.

Made For The Mainstream

This worker looks down on small time wrestling with such disdain that they will never sign for a company below medium size, no matter how desperate for work they are. 

• Like 3

On 10/11/2022 at 3:01 PM, The Masked Orange said:

Samoan Bloodline - This wrestler is part of wrestling's extended Samoan family. Will automatically have the equivalent to a loyalty relationship with any other worker with this attribute they have no other personal relationship with.

Thought this could be a good way to simulate the Samoan family dynamics without Adam/mod-makers having to put in relationships for everyone on the family tree. You'd still want the usual personal relationships to reflect close personal family like siblings, parent/child, maybe direct cousins. Could also have some unique flavour backstage, like older members mentoring younger members or clique-forming backstage. Which leads into...

Part of the Family: This worker is held in high regard by wrestling's extended Samoan family. Automatically has the equivalent to a loyalty relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute.

Out of the Family: This member of wrestling's extended Samoan family has managed to anger the wider family, automatically has the equivalent to a 'family feud' relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute, but 'loyalty' to any worker with the 'Out of the Family' attribute.

Foe of the Family: This worker has managed to draw the ire of wrestling's extended Samoan family. Automatically has the equivalent to a 'strong dislike' relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute. (This one could be a temporary, or have a temporary equivalent as well)

Banned from the Island: This worker is seen as an intrinsic enemy of wrestling's extended Samoan family; even their children are raised on tales of their devilishness. Automatically has the equivalent to a 'hatred' relationship with any worker with the 'Samoan Bloodline' attribute.

I had a thought about this that this could be incredibly overpowered for backstage environments, like five Samoans could be the equivalent of ten positive relationships. So to be balanced it would need to have an associated backstage modifier, where instead of counting all of the relationships it would count the number of the family backstage and have a bonus applied to the 'Notable Other Factors' setting. 3 Family members gives you the 'Minor Family presence' modifier, 5 'Noticeable Family presence' and 7+ 'Major Family Presence'. In my head the potential for clique interactions and negative relationship building offsets the consistent bonus (it's all fun and games until your blue-chip prospect botches a  move and causes an injury and now all of the Family are baying for blood, or they are start protesting after one of them is forced to job out etc.). Hopefully this balances a bit better, but I get also this is a wrestling simulator and not a Samoan Wrestling Dynasty simulator, which to be honest sounds like a great Wrestling Spirit spin-off.

• 2 weeks later...

Undefeated: This worker has had very few, if any, losses in their career, giving them an aura of invincibility that boosts their Charisma. A defeat on PPV at the hands of a sufficiently important opponent will give a huge momentum boost to the winner, and possibly a significant amount of publicity to the company. On the other hand, suffering defeat on a throwaway show, or against an opponent who's way beneath them, will completely kill the loser's momentum and possibly turn the crowd against the winner. This attribute disappears when the worker loses a 1-on-1 match cleanly. This attribute appears when a worker wins 50 matches in Medium-sized (or above) promotions without a single 1-on-1 clean loss.

• Like 4

We really need separate attributes for being creative in the ring vs being creative on promos.

Guys like the Rock aren't really innovative in the ring, but on the mic he'd come up with catch phrase after catch phrase

Chris Kanyon and Mike Bucci on the other hand were highly innovative and inventive in the ring, but on promos they weren't coming up with catch phrases or anything of the like. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Shiny New Toy: A temporary trait for wrestlers who have just debuted or started a new gimmick, and the intruige surrounding them, giving a small boost to overness/crowd reaction for 3-8 appearances (length depending how good the segments they are in are) or 1 month.

Skeletons In The Closet: Someone who might not be regularly in contraversy, but has some major issues that are likely to come out.

Camera Shy: Individuals who do not appear on TV except in major circumstances, or at all (Tony Khan, Kevin Dunn, Ted Turner).

Contemplating The Future: A temporary trait for wrestlers who haven't yet decided to retire, but are thinking about it. Perhaps given specifically for wrestlers who got released from major companies and don't want to go anywhere other than the "pinnacle", or somewhere they had loyalty/true born status to. During this period they are unlikely to go for any companies of too low standing.

Redoubling Efforts: On the flip side of the above, the same trigger of release sets someone down for showing exactly what the big leagues missed out on (see Cody Rhodes and Drew McIntyre among others). Gives a chance to boost their skills whilst they are at it and they will make efforts to wrestle as many places as possible within reason.

• Like 4

AGENT OF ANGLES: A road agent who specializes in putting together compelling non-wrestling content and angles. They are more of a producer.

AGENT OF THE RING: This agent struggles when being tasked with putting together angles. Better to have them focus on matches.

I think these two attributes can help differentiate match constructing Road Agents from the more Producer types.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Big Match Worker: Opposite of Canny Operator I suppose?

Real life example was Kerry Von Erich who had a reputation for showing out big time for big main events. It isn't to say they are lazy on other shows, but they find another gear for big shows. Perhaps a slight bonus if booked in a main event or a match with the "once in a life time" or "steal the show" road agent note?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, justtxyank said:

Big Match Worker: Opposite of Canny Operator I suppose?

Real life example was Kerry Von Erich who had a reputation for showing out big time for big main events. It isn't to say they are lazy on other shows, but they find another gear for big shows. Perhaps a slight bonus if booked in a main event or a match with the "once in a life time" or "steal the show" road agent note?

John Cena eventually developed this attribute in real life. He even had the nickname Big Match John. I can definitely see the merit of this one. 

• Like 3

On 11/13/2022 at 6:57 AM, MisterSocko said:

Undefeated: This worker has had very few, if any, losses in their career, giving them an aura of invincibility that boosts their Charisma. A defeat on PPV at the hands of a sufficiently important opponent will give a huge momentum boost to the winner, and possibly a significant amount of publicity to the company. On the other hand, suffering defeat on a throwaway show, or against an opponent who's way beneath them, will completely kill the loser's momentum and possibly turn the crowd against the winner. This attribute disappears when the worker loses a 1-on-1 match cleanly. This attribute appears when a worker wins 50 matches in Medium-sized (or above) promotions without a single 1-on-1 clean loss.

This gives me an idea for it's antithesis (more for the next TEW if there will be one):

Overpushed: The fans believe this worker is booked too strongly and have turned against them.  They get a penalty to their performance in any match where they receive a non-cheap win [This attribute is automatically temporary and lasts until the worker takes a non-cheap loss].

Drop The Title!: The fans have grown sick of this workers championship reign and have turned against them.  They get a penalty to their performance in any actual or potential title match where they aren't booked to lose their title [This attribute is automatically temporary and lasts until the worker loses the title which triggered this attribute].

A workers chances of developing Overpushed would be based on their skills relative to the rest of the company (#1 in Talk The Talk, Show Stoppers or Ring Generals would be exempt), with the chance increasing the lower their skills are and the higher their momentum is.  I see Drop The Title as instead working like the figurehead system for current champions, with overly long heel reigns more likely to be rejected, though even an extremely good babyface worker would eventually be at risk of being turned on due to staleness in the product.

Edited by overthetop2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Willfully Ignorant: this young worker believes they already know everything there is to know about wrestling, refuses to learn more, and easily takes offense when told how to work their craft. Their skills will improve at a slower rate, they will never become the Protege of anyone, are more likely to form negative relationships with Road Agents, Bookers and Owners, and will react negatively to being sent to development.

Self-Appointed Professor: this veteran worker can't help offering unsollicited advice to people of lower Experience, to the point of getting on some people's nerves. Unless they're in a position that can somewhat justify acting like a know-it-all, like Road Agent, Booker or Owner, they are more likely to form negative relationships with workers of lower Experience.

Clout Vampire: this worker will request being inserted into hot storylines, or suggest starting programs with workers who have Very Hot (or higher) momentum (unless it's someone ridiculously beneath them), or be added to popular stables,, and is very likely to kick up a fuss if denied what they want.

• Like 3

Inspired by "Explosive Ring Style" and "Slow And Steady":

Unhinged Intensity: this worker is not what one would normally consider a good talker, but cuts particularly intense promos that can be riveting as long as they're kept mercifully short. When they're on screen for an angle rated on Entertainment that doesn't last more than 3 minutes, they get a bonus to their Entertainment skills.

Raconteur: this worker is not into the whole brevity thing, and prefers long-winded promos that need time to tell a compelling story. When they're on screen for an angle rated on Microphone skills that lasts under 8 minutes, they get a penalty to their Microphone skill.

• 2 weeks later...

Polyglot - Worker picks up on new languages quickly and improves at languages they already speak at a heightened rate if around other workers that speak that language.

Explanation: Say an American/Canadian/British/Irish worker speaks English fluently but speaks no other language. Then they sign a contract with a Japanese company. They will move from "None" to "Basic" quickly, and advance to "Fluent" at an accelerated rate. If our worker then leaves the Japanese promotion with a "Passable" rating in Japanese and signs with an American company that has workers on the roster who speak fluent Japanese, they will continue to improve their Japanese at an accelerated rate (I would even say they continue to improve at the same rate that a worker without that attribute would pick up Japanese). I figure that their desire to learn the language would make them continue to try and improve, but they're no longer in an environment where everybody around them speaks Japanese, so they're not able to continue to improve at that speed. I would even say that they would be able to gain languages as long as there's a speaker of that language on the roster with them, but at a slower rate since they're not living in that culture and surrounded by it.

No hablo - This worker speaks their native language and will resist any effort to expand their language skills beyond the necessary level (which I figure is what "Basic" means).

Again, let's go with the English-speaking worker that signs with a Japanese company. They join the roster with "None" in Japanese. They will move from "None" to "Basic" at a slower rate and will never move beyond "Basic".

St.T

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did a once over through the existing attributes and didn't see what I'm looking for, but what about an attribute that gives a boost to someone in a scripted match? Guys like Randy Savage had incredibly high psychology scores, but his matches were scripted down to the most minute details. 

I don't have a name, but I do think it's worth adding.

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

I did a once over through the existing attributes and didn't see what I'm looking for, but what about an attribute that gives a boost to someone in a scripted match? Guys like Randy Savage had incredibly high psychology scores, but his matches were scripted down to the most minute details. 

I don't have a name, but I do think it's worth adding.

Scripted Perfection?

17 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Guys like Randy Savage had incredibly high psychology scores, but his matches were scripted down to the most minute details.

Not trying to invalidate your idea as a whole but in Savage's case wasn't it just the Steamboat match because he wanted to be absolutely sure that they'd steal the show?

1 hour ago, MisterSocko said:

Not trying to invalidate your idea as a whole but in Savage's case wasn't it just the Steamboat match because he wanted to be absolutely sure that they'd steal the show?

I have always read/heard that was how he handled matches. I could be wrong, but that's just what I remember reading. DDP is another one who said Randy plotted out his matches. 

• Like 1