Public Beta Reaction Thread

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Xendarii" data-cite="Xendarii" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The point I absolutely don't agree with is "minor aesthetics [...] issues". The whole UI is awful. Almost every single aspect of it. To make this a game that I enjoy playing and a UI that I enjoy using, Adam would basically need to give it a complete overhaul and I don't know whether that's realistic.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I disagree on it being awful- it's taking me time to find everything I want but no more time than it took when the interface changed in previous editions. I mean, if you don't care for it that's absolutely fine, it's a big change and I do see that it's maybe not as clear as previous versions but to call it empirically awful seems like a stretch.</p>

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Xendarii" data-cite="Xendarii" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The point I absolutely don't agree with is "minor aesthetics [...] issues". The whole UI is awful. Almost every single aspect of it. To make this a game that I enjoy playing and a UI that I enjoy using, Adam would basically need to give it a complete overhaul and I don't know whether that's realistic.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, that was my bad with the wording. I was also one to try my best to explain how the UI effects the entire game and in the process, turns many minor issues into one big major one. Sorry!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="1PWfan" data-cite="1PWfan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I disagree on it being awful- it's taking me time to find everything I want but no more time than it took when the interface changed in previous editions. I mean, if you don't care for it that's absolutely fine, it's a big change and I do see that it's maybe not as clear as previous versions but to call it empirically awful seems like a stretch.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> We're in 2020, the game looks like it was made in 2000 (it looks worse than TEW 2005!), it hurts my eyes to look at it and getting any kind of information out of the game is <strong>way</strong> harder than it was in TEW 2016, where after 10 minutes of playing I had a general idea about where to look at.</p>

Something that I want to see and am missing badly is the ability to scroll through people by scrolling with my mouse wheel while the colors are on. I love the color coding, but I rely so much on scrolling for TEW on like every screen. With that improvement, I could honestly really be happy with this edition. Thank you so much for your hard work, Adam.

<p>This is a public beta, I'm sure all messages and criticism will be taken into account. I don't know what everyone expected, but it is virtually impossible to have a perfect game on release date. Not even the big companies which hire hundreds/thousands of employees manage that, let alone just one man.</p><p> </p><p>

That being said,<strong> I agree with most posts already made in the thread </strong>about the UI. It's not perfect, and Adam should make a priority to improve these things in the coming weeks (the scrolling problem and the cosmetic issue of the game come to mind). As of right now everything seems chaotic and disorganized. Skins could help here but they can't completely solve the issue.</p><p> </p><p>

Regardless, TEW 2020 pretty much delivered on almost every issue and shortcomings TEW 2016 had. This will be a game changer once the interface problems are sorted out. While I'll still buy the game on release day to support Adam, I probably won't play it until the issues are resolved.</p>

<p>Also one more thing I forgot to mention. I really wish we could adjust user products at least with percentages. I can understand it for the AI, but like, for a user's company, it would be great to be able to create our own products like in 2016.</p><p> </p><p>

That said, I'm actually a huge fan of the tag team search feature. It's incredible.</p>

<p>I really like the gameplay changes of the game, but honestly, the UI is a huge downgrade from TEW 2016. Baffling, in fact, and a game breaker in a text-based game.</p><p> </p><p>

Given how good was the WMMA 5 UI the bar was kinda high, I really don't understand what happened here.</p><p> </p><p>

The sad part is that I don't think much can be done towards launch, some patch might help with color stuff, skins as well, but some sections require whole new designs.</p>

<p>Bad or dated UI has always been a shortcoming of these games. Which despite being a great and detailed game, was always ugly. This iteration has just pushed that to the max. People saying they don't see the problems are people I can only assume haven't played many other management games with vastly superior UI.</p><p> </p><p>

I simply don't understand why when you've made the decision to rewrite the game that you wouldn't make use of the massive community that would willingly help design and improve the UI which has obviously always been Ryland's shortcoming. If screenshots of the game in development had been released I'm sure these serious issues would have been highlighted early on in development saving all this pain.</p>

Bad or dated UI has always been a shortcoming of these games. Which despite being a great and detailed game, was always ugly. This iteration has just pushed that to the max. People saying they don't see the problems are people I can only assume haven't played many other management games with vastly superior UI.

I simply don't understand why when you've made the decision to rewrite the game that you wouldn't make use of the massive community that would willingly help design and improve the UI which has obviously always been Ryland's shortcoming. If screenshots of the game in development had been released I'm sure these serious issues would have been highlighted early on in development saving all this pain.

Extreme-Warfare-Revenge-Screenshot-1.png?fit=796%2C595

It doesn't even need to be not-ugly, EWR was ugly but flowed like a dream! Lost days to the EWR UI trance and I guess that's what I feel like I'm missing with this layout. I feel like with or without the ugly colour palette, if I want to do something within the office it seems to be taking me twice as long to figure out what I actually want to be doing. Obviously it has just dropped today and this could just be a case of fearing change, but I don't think that's the case. Everything needs to be moved around by a real graphic designer who knows how these things effect the brain.

For me, the game, at his current state, is just an early access version, not even a beta and it isn't ready to launch next week.

Besides the UI, the game lacks of user-friendly features that shouldn't be missing for a 2020 game.

Because I spent some much time playing TEW 2016, I'd rather have the game to be delayed for 3-4 months so that Adam and his team can polish the game.

Exactly this. Either the game was released too early or the beta was released too late. One week is simply not enough time to deal with the issues raised. It's a huge task: the game was announced a year and a half ago and had already had a year's development, so that's two and a half years already, but it's only one guy so it's amazing that it's even got this far.

More extensive and longer testing was needed but I genuinely feel there's a great game here, I just wonder how long it will be until we can play it...

Personally, I think people are exagerating about the UI. Some screens are ugly but overall I think it's easy to find what you are looking for. I think the section at the bottom of the screen will be very useful when people work out what buttons they want to customise it with.

If you look at the skins in the mod forum there are already some nice looking skins for the game.

One thing that is very hard to deal with is the block of 40 buttons on the right of the office screen. This needs to be broken into sections if possible.

A positive that I'm seeing is how much faster this is running on my machine. Like, switching between buttons is really, really easy and quick.

However, I miss the ability to filter like we used to in TEW2016. The search bar is cool, but like, filtering to excellent workers is really useful.

Extreme-Warfare-Revenge-Screenshot-1.png?fit=796%2C595

It doesn't even need to be not-ugly, EWR was ugly but flowed like a dream! Lost days to the EWR UI trance and I guess that's what I feel like I'm missing with this layout. I feel like with or without the ugly colour palette, if I want to do something within the office it seems to be taking me twice as long to figure out what I actually want to be doing. Obviously it has just dropped today and this could just be a case of fearing change, but I don't think that's the case. Everything needs to be moved around by a real graphic designer who knows how these things effect the brain.

Yes and No. EWR was a free game so it gets a pass for being ugly. But come on, TEW is a commercial game, we are paying for the privilege of playing it. I expect more from a UI than a fancy looking Microsoft Access looking database in 2020. I know it sounds harsh but visually it looks horrid. That's the truth.

Personally, I think people are exagerating about the UI. Some screens are ugly but overall I think it's easy to find what you are looking for.

When dozens of users are reporting migraine attacks or the feeling of getting one, it's not an exaggeration. :o

One thing that is very hard to deal with is the block of 40 buttons on the right of the office screen. This needs to be broken into sections if possible.

So the main screen of the game, where you spend the majority of the time planning and developing, is very hard to deal with? Can you re-read that a couple of times and ask yourself if people are exaggerating?

Yes and No. EWR was a free game so it gets a pass for being ugly. But come on, TEW is a commercial game, we are paying for the privilege of playing it. I expect more from a UI than a fancy looking Microsoft Access looking database in 2020. I know it sounds harsh but visually it looks horrid. That's the truth.

I got you, but visuals are easier to fix than anything. None of us have actually paid yet, this is a beta test for gameplay mechanics and the UI is what ties all the mechanics together. The game can be ugly for seven days before I'll feel the right to complain about that.

EDIT: I honestly agree with you I thought I'd add hahaha, I'm just trying my best to find a potential balance through everyone's pros and cons.

A quick post, just to try to help people understand what people like myself mean when we say we dont like the UI (not that I've said that yet but I am now lol)

When we say we can't look at it, gives us headaches etc. That's not an over reaction, that's not "its ugly" that's not just us being difficult. For people like myself its LITERALLY it is giving me migraines due to the look of it. I couldn't tell you why, but 10mins into it yesterday I had to look away. I went back later, same. I ended up getting no sleep as I tried to just keep going to explore c-verse and got a migraine which kept me up.

When I use excel at work I have to zoom to 120-130%, I use word on size 14, have internet zoomed slightly etc. Squiniting at standard sized numbers isn't something that i can adjust to, or just take a little time and itll be ok. I just cant do it

On top of that I'm colour blind, colours looked good when they were on big D+ symbols or big bold numbers, but little numbers in a line with dozens of other numbers means my head just hurt.

So I get some like it, or think others are over reacting, but also remember some of us are legit struggling to actually play it, and for people like me it would make it unplayable. That's not "its ugly screw you" its "this game will put me in hospital" lol

Side note, some did a quick edit with white lines removed and another person with some dark red mixed in. I know it was only stills but that seemed to help a lot.

Now, on a none-migrain related note I'll just say the UI just seems less fun. I know what I spent my time doing was just putting random numbers against other random numbers to generate a number, but something about this set up just seems to emphasise that. It just feels like a less fun experience overall, I want to get lost in s colourful game world where I'm booking a wrestljbv show, not study maths to get the best outcome. I know ultimately that is what I'm doing but the game just feels....cold? Is that just me?

That's my UI thoughts anyway, I miss big and colourful, I dont care if that meant more clicks, clicking never bothered me, especially now windows are easier to get out of or click back.

Football Manager is probably the best looking sim out there ever and is made by a team of 115 people backed and published by Sega. I don't see how you'd expect anything similar from a 1+volunteers team? Everyone was complaining about TEW not evolving, FM have been releasing the same game for almost ten years now every year!

I'm not expecting Football Manager, but I am expecting something closer in 2020 than something that still looks like it was made on Microsoft Access in 2002.

I got you, but visuals are easier to fix than anything. None of us have actually paid yet, this is a beta test for gameplay mechanics and the UI is what ties all the mechanics together. The game can be ugly for seven days before I'll feel the right to complain about that.

EDIT: I honestly agree with you I thought I'd add hahaha, I'm just trying my best to find a potential balance through everyone's pros and cons.

This is incredibly wrong. The beta test is already over, this is a trial version of how the game will pretty much look like in a week. Adam will surely fix most of the bugs that people who are playing the game right now are running into, but it's safe to say that there won't be massive changes to the UI until the final release - because visuals aren't easy to fix. Designing and programming good user interfaces is not a trivial task and it's certainly not done within a week.

A quick post, just to try to help people understand what people like myself mean when we say we dont like the UI (not that I've said that yet but I am now lol)

When we say we can't look at it, gives us headaches etc. That's not an over reaction, that's not "its ugly" that's not just us being difficult. For people like myself its LITERALLY it is giving me migraines due to the look of it. I couldn't tell you why, but 10mins into it yesterday I had to look away. I went back later, same. I ended up getting no sleep as I tried to just keep going to explore c-verse and got a migraine which kept me up.

When I use excel at work I have to zoom to 120-130%, I use word on size 14, have internet zoomed slightly etc. Squiniting at standard sized numbers isn't something that i can adjust to, or just take a little time and itll be ok. I just cant do it

On top of that I'm colour blind, colours looked good when they were on big D+ symbols or big bold numbers, but little numbers in a line with dozens of other numbers means my head just hurt.

So I get some like it, or think others are over reacting, but also remember some of us are legit struggling to actually play it, and for people like me it would make it unplayable. That's not "its ugly screw you" its "this game will put me in hospital" lol

Side note, some did a quick edit with white lines removed and another person with some dark red mixed in. I know it was only stills but that seemed to help a lot.

Now, on a none-migrain related note I'll just say the UI just seems less fun. I know what I spent my time doing was just putting random numbers against other random numbers to generate a number, but something about this set up just seems to emphasise that. It just feels like a less fun experience overall, I want to get lost in s colourful game world where I'm booking a wrestljbv show, not study maths to get the best outcome. I know ultimately that is what I'm doing but the game just feels....cold? Is that just me?

That's my UI thoughts anyway, I miss big and colourful, I dont care if that meant more clicks, clicking never bothered me, especially now windows are easier to get out of or click back.

yeah, if 50% of the games playerbase are claiming literal headaches and they're all saying they're not exaggerating, somethings gone wrong. perhaps adam is like myself and isn't effected by screen headaches and wasn't even aware of the issue.

When we say we can't look at [the UI], gives us headaches etc. That's not an over reaction, that's not "its ugly" that's not just us being difficult. For people like myself its LITERALLY it is giving me migraines due to the look of it.

When I use excel at work I have to zoom to 120-130%, I use word on size 14, have internet zoomed slightly etc. Squiniting at standard sized numbers isn't something that i can adjust to, or just take a little time and itll be ok. I just cant for it

Same here, all of this - have to enlarge things at work and am colourblind. It's a shame because some of the screens are okay for my eyes and a lot of the new features and way thinks works are a lot better and make the game more enjoyable for me... but it's really difficult for me to stop and take that in when I have to squint to see my match/show ratings and then I'm taken right back to that headache-inducing Office screen. The Finance and Medical screens are also really hard for me to look at. :(

I absolutely hate being negative for the sake of it and am really trying to enjoy all the new and fun things! But some elements are really hard to look past - which is odd, because I think WMMA5 looks okay and I was really expecting this to look similar to that, but better. :confused:

Still, lots of people saying similar things so I'm sure it's been noted and taken on board. :)