Public Beta Reaction Thread

It has been a great effort from Adam to change things up when things weren’t right and I’m sure the game will be great when it’s released. That being said, shouldn’t it have been pushed back a week further to let us feel out the new UI to make sure we all like it and make sure there’s no new crashes that have crept back in.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest patch just introduced a crash, so that's always a risk.

However, I'd think those buying on day 1 would accept that things will be a bit wonky. They've been patched quickly throughout the beta process, and no doubt that will continue; it'll just take a bit of patience.

If people aren't willing to put up with that, they can hold off on their purchase for a few patches.

As a massive fan of TEW, it's kinda bumming that the game which is revamped in 2020 still has windows 98 style scroll bars and several popup windows stacked onto one another. Especially when fan made mockups from 2017 were miles better. Maybe adam should make a tutorial to mod menu systems itself so someone can tinker it themselves or release patches.

mfg6h8o4jcjz.png

Also, one suggestion is to have pushes in divisions as it helps in organizing the roster better. And probably have the converter to convert past pushes into divisions.

As a massive fan of TEW, it's kinda bumming that the game which is revamped in 2020 still has windows 98 style scroll bars and several popup windows stacked onto one another. Especially when fan made mockups from 2017 were miles better. Maybe adam should make a tutorial to mod menu systems itself so someone can tinker it themselves or release patches.

mfg6h8o4jcjz.png

Also, one suggestion is to have pushes in divisions as it helps in organizing the roster better. And probably have the converter to convert past pushes into divisions.

I imagine it's easier to make mock ups than design a UI for a game.

Also, if Adam ripped off Football Manager so blatently by producing something that looked like your screenshot then that would not be good.

I'm really looking forward to the game being released. I've played the demo a fair bit and really enjoyed the experience.

As a massive fan of TEW, it's kinda bumming that the game which is revamped in 2020 still has windows 98 style scroll bars and several popup windows stacked onto one another. Especially when fan made mockups from 2017 were miles better.

To be fair, it’s relatively easy to create a great mockup. There’s no programming limitations. It’s effectively a drawing.

I imagine it's easier to make mock ups than design a UI for a game.

Also, if Adam ripped off Football Manager so blatantly by producing something that looked like your screenshot then that would not be good.

I'm really looking forward to the game being released. I've played the demo a fair bit and really enjoyed the experience.

I'm not saying that TEW should rip off anything. I just pointed out style ideas.

And a back and forward button instead of pop-ups is not a hard thing to do considering both are implemented with stacks.

The stats are already there and are just reorganized in the mockup.

The "it's just a mockup" really doesn't hold since the game is a REVAMP and yet something as basic as back and forward buttons weren't there despite a massive focus on reducing clicks.

I'm not saying that TEW should rip off anything. I just pointed out style ideas.

And a back and forward button instead of pop-ups is not a hard thing to do considering both are implemented with stacks.

The stats are already there and are just reorganized in the mockup.

The "it's just a mockup" really doesn't hold since the game is a REVAMP and yet something as basic as back and forward buttons weren't there despite a massive focus on reducing clicks.

That style idea was to rip off FM.

I get why people don't like the UI but it doesn't bother me. When I play TEW all of the actual clicking is done on auto pilot and I got used to this version within a few shows.

The one thing I dearly miss is the the view workers button on the angle screen.

Would back and forward be possible in VB6 then?

I never know what's done as a result of poor design and what's done as a result of programming limitations.

The pop-up's look so messy. If, for example, you load up a worker, then look at their popularity, then their popularity progress, there are four X'able windows. Being able to go back and forward whilst staying in the same screen would be a big improvement. Especially if you could use Backspace or gaming mouse buttons to go back a screen.

To be fair, it’s relatively easy to create a great mockup. There’s no programming limitations. It’s effectively a drawing.

They have already shown that they can make a more modern style UI using the software and game engines they currently have.

If you go threw the images of Bowl Bound College Football, I know its a different game but it's still made by Grey Dog Software. And while it looks dated know it was much closer to the old Football manager interface from the 2007 era. With the side menu for options etc.

Bowl Bound College Football UI

FM 2007 UI

Now both UI look dated by todays standard, but atleast it was modern looking for the time, it was released. I don't know if they used a different programing language for BBCF or it was a choice from the developer of that particular game but it shows they can make more modern looking UI's. If the UI is limitation of using VB6 then the question remains why stick to that platform thats 22 years old now and not look to advance the game forward onto newer code?

The $60 games have never made me think "wow, this is a massive step back" and instantly regret the purchase. Much like this is the first time I've opened a new TEW and thought "wow, this is a massive step back" and instantly felt sick. I've given it so many chances. Every time I try I find something missing or something glaringly wrong. 16 years of TEW and learning a system. And now we're told that's just not how TEW2020 works. Sorry but I'm just not cool with that.

That's fair as far as it goes. But others, or at least me, opened up TEW2020 and went "Wow, what a huge step forward." Different things work for different people. I was so put off by 2016 I didn't play it. 2020 hits me right.

The latest patch just introduced a crash, so that's always a risk.

However, I'd think those buying on day 1 would accept that things will be a bit wonky. They've been patched quickly throughout the beta process, and no doubt that will continue; it'll just take a bit of patience.

If people aren't willing to put up with that, they can hold off on their purchase for a few patches.

I think the issue is probably reviewers - imagine if the initial reviews of it were all stuff saying "Couldn't play because it crashed when I pressed 'booking analysis'" (Which I think is the crash you mention above?)

I think it's fair to say that with any release there will always be a few wobbles here and there but something as important as the booking analysis option would stand out. Saying that, the team are quick to fix the issues so kudos for that.

I'm actually feeling more confident with 20 with each time I'm playing it. My only problem is the low ratings associated with real world mods. It's quite frustrating but at the same time I think that's the mods issue rather than the game.

I think I'm gonna switch to CVerse today to try and get used to it as I'm certain we won't have a stable real world mod for a while.

But yeah.. it's growing on me :)

<p>I found the whole back-forward browser thing so disorientating when I last played Football Manager. I don't know why, because internet, but I much prefer pop up windows. </p><p> </p><p>

A limited number of pop up windows.</p>

I gotta say when I first loaded up the demo, beta, whatever you chose to call it I was hit with a lot of new info, things in different places, things that were not initially obvious or as easy to find as they were in 16.

I will admit I kinda "noped" shut the game and came back a few days later, started booking shows, failed superbly to book a cohesive show (partly on me, partly on uncertainty of the UI) "noped" and shut the game again, these both occurred whilst i was trying to multi-task so I was not giving the game 100% focus.

Since I have come back to it and took the time to learn and get comfortable with features, where things are, how things work and how the UI ticks I can say i have got more comfortable and the UI has grown on me.

Will this be the same for everyone? no, some will judge the game or the UI or the changes and end it there, that's fine different strokes, spend your money elsewhere.

I wonder if Adam had not of changed things as radically as he did, and the UI was much the same as 16 with some added bells and whistles, if the people who are complaining that the game is "too different" would then complain that Adam wants $30 but has done little work and the game "is too similar"

Adam has done a lot of work to make this game, he has a passion, a love for this series, did he need to release 20? I'm gonna say no, did he need to make the changes after the initial backlash, no he could of in all honesty forged on with "his vision" but he took the backlash, found the constructive feedback and made changes as best he could with what the base of the game would allow.

I for one wanna say Thank you Adam and I appreciate all your work on this and all the games, I have experienced your products since the early days of EWR and you have earned my trust as a developer, I'm willing to trust that this product will be as great as all the others and that I'll learn and come to love the changes to the UI, the game and the features.

I think it's fair to say that with any release there will always be a few wobbles here and there but something as important as the booking analysis option would stand out. Saying that, the team are quick to fix the issues so kudos for that.

I'm actually feeling more confident with 20 with each time I'm playing it. My only problem is the low ratings associated with real world mods. It's quite frustrating but at the same time I think that's the mods issue rather than the game.

I think I'm gonna switch to CVerse today to try and get used to it as I'm certain we won't have a stable real world mod for a while.

But yeah.. it's growing on me :)

Which mods are you playing landxxx's Modern Day mod has the autobooker booking me 85's with AEW.

Which mods are you playing landxxx's Modern Day mod has the autobooker booking me 85's with AEW.

I really love Landxxx mod, I even helped him set up the quebec Scene,

But this is a sandbox, easy to win mod. So if someone is looking for some challenges, that mod is not for them.

For me it works, as I mostly play for fantasy booking, and finally landxx made a mod that helps me book what i want.

If ever i want a challenge game, I play with another mod.

I really love Landxxx mod, I even helped him set up the quebec Scene,

But this is a sandbox, easy to win mod. So if someone is looking for some challenges, that mod is not for them.

For me it works, as I mostly play for fantasy booking, and finally landxx made a mod that helps me book what i want.

If ever i want a challenge game, I play with another mod.

Yeah, Landxx mods seem to have super O.P stats. I rememeber really loving one of my NJPW saves in 2016 using Landxx but the mods not really for you if you want a real challenge. His mod is great if you just want to get super highly rated shows from everyone.

Sometimes feels like I would need a mod like Landxx to get a high scoring show in 2020 right now though. I routinely get matches rated under 10 when booking Raw or smackdown.

Who would have thought viscera vs job guy could get that low?!?

Serious question here, but how am I supposed to get a guy over in 2020 based off of matches?

If a guy comes in at zero pop. How am I supposed to get him to be recognizable? What if I don't want to do promo's? Do I need to have him kill my recognizable guys? That doesn't seem fair. I should be able to have him smash jobbers for a bit. I shouldn't be getting a 6 rating. That seems too low for a squash match with viscera.

Personally I give all viscera matches at least a 50 score because he's a BOI & I love him!

Yeah, Landxx mods seem to have super O.P stats. I rememeber really loving one of my NJPW saves in 2016 using Landxx but the mods not really for you if you want a real challenge. His mod is great if you just want to get super highly rated shows from everyone.

Sometimes feels like I would need a mod like Landxx to get a high scoring show in 2020 right now though. I routinely get matches rated under 10 when booking Raw or smackdown.

Who would have thought viscera vs job guy could get that low?!?

Serious question here, but how am I supposed to get a guy over in 2020 based off of matches?

If a guy comes in at zero pop. How am I supposed to get him to be recognizable? What if I don't want to do promo's? Do I need to have him kill my recognizable guys? That doesn't seem fair. I should be able to have him smash jobbers for a bit. I shouldn't be getting a 6 rating. That seems too low for a squash match with viscera.

Personally I give all viscera matches at least a 50 score because he's a BOI & I love him!

In my TNA Game, i used punk who had like 10-15 pop USA. I booked him in 1 B tv show, he got injured. Now i just book him in 3 minutes backstage segment every B shows + on Events. He raised to 35+ pop USA in 2 months and a half.

Keep doing stuff like this you might have people over. Remember it takes more than a month to have someone over, just like in real time.

Dont expect to play WWE, sign a random guy and make him main even mania 3 months later.

That's fair as far as it goes. But others, or at least me, opened up TEW2020 and went "Wow, what a huge step forward." Different things work for different people. I was so put off by 2016 I didn't play it. 2020 hits me right.

I don't think you can call the new UI a "huge step forward".

But, after saying that, I was one of those who hated on the new UI without giving it a chance, and now, after booking 3 months of TCW (cornellverse, can never get into real life booking) I now prefer the current UI. However, I still think this isn't the finished UI, and it needs development into something similar to FM, and definitely needs a fullscreen feature. Obviously, Adam doesn't have a team behind him like FM does, but I do think it wouldn't be too hard for a game that comes out every 3 years to overhaul the UI into something similar

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="nerodragomir1" data-cite="nerodragomir1" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, Landxx mods seem to have super O.P stats. I rememeber really loving one of my NJPW saves in 2016 using Landxx but the mods not really for you if you want a real challenge. His mod is great if you just want to get super highly rated shows from everyone.<p> </p><p> Sometimes feels like I would need a mod like Landxx to get a high scoring show in 2020 right now though. I routinely get matches rated under 10 when booking Raw or smackdown.</p><p> </p><p> Who would have thought viscera vs job guy could get that low?!?</p><p> </p><p> Serious question here, but how am I supposed to get a guy over in 2020 based off of matches?</p><p> </p><p> If a guy comes in at zero pop. How am I supposed to get him to be recognizable? What if I don't want to do promo's? Do I need to have him kill my recognizable guys? That doesn't seem fair. I should be able to have him smash jobbers for a bit. I shouldn't be getting a 6 rating. That seems too low for a squash match with viscera.</p><p> </p><p> Personally I give all viscera matches at least a 50 score because he's a BOI & I love him!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I did a little test on Sunday while watching NASCAR. Loaded up the C-Verse and SWF picked some random person with little to no popularity. Booked them in squash matches with people on the card, including a couple of hired local talent. Just had the auto booker do the rest of the show.</p><p> </p><p> Below is the result.</p><p> </p><p> <a href="https://imgur.com/gallery/QjtqlWJ" rel="external nofollow">https://imgur.com/gallery/QjtqlWJ</a> </p><p> </p><p> Highest popularity was 5 and seen as an unknown. By the end the three-month trial he was at 38 and seen as recognisable. Had I also been booker properly and putting him in segments/storylines as well as having him win on TV/Events sure he would have ended up with higher popularity than he did? Still, it is possible over a three month period to take someone from 0 to at least recognisable mid-carder.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="pat666" data-cite="pat666" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I really love Landxxx mod, I even helped him set up the quebec Scene,<p> But this is a sandbox, easy to win mod. So if someone is looking for some challenges, that mod is not for them. </p><p> </p><p> For me it works, as I mostly play for fantasy booking, and finally landxx made a mod that helps me book what i want.</p><p> </p><p> If ever i want a challenge game, I play with another mod.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Same here. If I want a challenge I'll go play a historical mod, or a different modern day mod. </p><p> </p><p> Landaxx's is great for sandbox play though, and I hope he doesn't get too much pressure to move it away from that purpose (at least not without providing the existing one as an option). Because sometimes I just want to fantasy book and have fun.</p><p> </p><p> Ruthless Aggression seems okay at first glance (although I'm no pro).</p><p> </p><p> If you want more challenge, I think the historical ones that are out there now are tougher - although it's still hard to tell long-term, and a lot of the converted ones suffer from attribute issues (an entire locker room full of mercenaries or gloomy guys will really tank your ability to get ratings unless you edit all of them). </p><p> </p><p> ScottKen has a couple that start in the 80's/mid 90's that are out already, but they probably will need tweaking once the full game is released.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mitsunari" data-cite="Mitsunari" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I did a little test on Sunday while watching NASCAR. Loaded up the C-Verse and SWF picked some random person with little to no popularity. Booked them in squash matches with people on the card, including a couple of hired local talent. Just had the auto booker do the rest of the show.<p> </p><p> Below is the result.</p><p> </p><p> <a href="https://imgur.com/gallery/QjtqlWJ" rel="external nofollow">https://imgur.com/gallery/QjtqlWJ</a> </p><p> </p><p> Highest popularity was 5 and seen as an unknown. By the end the three-month trial he was at 38 and seen as recognisable. Had I also been booker properly and putting him in segments/storylines as well as having him win on TV/Events sure he would have ended up with higher popularity than he did? Still, it is possible over a three month period to take someone from 0 to at least recognisable mid-carder.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I did a test with Dreadnought that I posted in a different thread where I signed him in TCW in week 1 and he started with me in time for week 2's TV. This was when the demo was still just Jan and Feb but by the end of February I had him to a 50 popularity (and he started at zero) with consistently looking him to win and win decisively, and not over stars or Major Stars -- though the last show he did end up beating a star as he was entering a program with them. I didn't give him a single angle in that time to see if I could do it off just matches -- so to the original question asker, you absolutely can get someone over with just matches.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="daddytorgo1" data-cite="daddytorgo1" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Which mods are you playing landxxx's Modern Day mod has the autobooker booking me 85's with AEW.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm currently using the 'Killing the Business' mod but upon further inspection, it seems that it's <strong>me</strong> is the actual problem.</p><p> </p><p> I started a new game and went unemployed just to keep an eye on things with WWE. Here's what I found for RAW between January and March.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>January:</strong> Average score of 77</p><p> <strong>February: </strong>Average score of 82</p><p> <strong>March: </strong>Average score of 79</p><p> </p><p> So my low scores in the dreadful 60s reflect my booking.</p><p> </p><p> Although one thing I did notice, maybe someone can help with this - WWE has a product of Classic Sports Entertainment and the focus is set at 65% Matches and 35% angles. However: The AI is booking 20 segments with 11 being Angles and 9 being matches. Is this not against the product requirement? Or am I missing something?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="NinjaBadger4k" data-cite="NinjaBadger4k" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="47578" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm currently using the 'Killing the Business' mod but upon further inspection, it seems that it's <strong>me</strong> is the actual problem.<p> </p><p> I started a new game and went unemployed just to keep an eye on things with WWE. Here's what I found for RAW between January and March.</p><p> </p><p> <strong>January:</strong> Average score of 77</p><p> <strong>February: </strong>Average score of 82</p><p> <strong>March: </strong>Average score of 79</p><p> </p><p> So my low scores in the dreadful 60s reflect my booking.</p><p> </p><p> Although one thing I did notice, maybe someone can help with this - WWE has a product of Classic Sports Entertainment and the focus is set at 65% Matches and 35% angles. However: The AI is booking 20 segments with 11 being Angles and 9 being matches. Is this not against the product requirement? Or am I missing something?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's dictated on the times given to segments. 9 regular length matches and 11 short angles can fit that ratio fine.</p>