TEW 2020 on Mac Tutorial (including MacOS Catalina)

I was successfully able to get TEW 2020 up and running on my Mac from the aforementioned instructions (huge thanks!) but have the problem of the right side of the program being cut off. Tried adjusting the resolution to no avail and even Retina Mode in Wineskin but that totally screws up the layout. Anybody know of any other possible fixes for this?

What mac are you using. The model and year would be really useful (e.g. 13 inch 2015).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing on a 2015 MacBook Pro (13" Retina) with Catalina OS (10.15.3)

Sorry if this is a dumb question but when you say you tried adjusting your resolution do you mean the scaling in system preferences. For the 13” the final “more space” option should work for TEW.

<p>Hello! First time poster here on these forums. I'm a Mac user who's looking to try TEW for the first time, and I have a few questions regarding the installation process:</p><p> </p><p>

- Right out of the gate, I want to note that High Sierra version 10.13.4 is the operating system I'm using on my MacBook Air. I know this thread specifically details Catalina (which is a version higher than my current system), but just for context.</p><p> </p><p>

- Currently, I actually have an EWR game that I'm playing on this same computer, which uses the wineskin. What exactly is the process if I already have wineskin in use for EWR? Do I have to download it again, and will it effect my existing EWR game in any way (I want to be sure that I don't accidentally screw up the game that I started two years ago). </p><p> </p><p>

Apologies for being a total noob when it comes to TEW, but any help would be appreciated!</p>

<p>I do have one issue. Some times, seemingly at random but always after an event, the game will freeze whilst loading and running through other promotions or whatever it does, on the screen where it shows a random profile. There's no way to sort it (I'm on the latest update) other than closing completely re-doing the event which can be particularly annoying.</p><p> </p><p>

Any ideas on a fix for that?</p>

Hello! First time poster here on these forums. I'm a Mac user who's looking to try TEW for the first time, and I have a few questions regarding the installation process:

- Right out of the gate, I want to note that High Sierra version 10.13.4 is the operating system I'm using on my MacBook Air. I know this thread specifically details Catalina (which is a version higher than my current system), but just for context.

- Currently, I actually have an EWR game that I'm playing on this same computer, which uses the wineskin. What exactly is the process if I already have wineskin in use for EWR? Do I have to download it again, and will it effect my existing EWR game in any way (I want to be sure that I don't accidentally screw up the game that I started two years ago).

Apologies for being a total noob when it comes to TEW, but any help would be appreciated!

The recommended way on Macs is to create one Wineskin wrapper per application. So if you're looking to do TEW 20 you'd create a blank wineskin wrapper from scratch, and it won't affect your EWR wrapper. For versions older than Catalina, the tutorial on the 2016 forums should work (just make sure to use the latest versions of Wineskin and the engine).

I do have one issue. Some times, seemingly at random but always after an event, the game will freeze whilst loading and running through other promotions or whatever it does, on the screen where it shows a random profile. There's no way to sort it (I'm on the latest update) other than closing completely re-doing the event which can be particularly annoying.

Any ideas on a fix for that?

I personally haven't experienced this. It may be an issue with the game or it may be with Wineskin it's hard to tell. If you want to rule out that it's a problem with Wineskin you can create a brand new wrapper and copy your savegames across, to see if that helps.

I personally haven't experienced this. It may be an issue with the game or it may be with Wineskin it's hard to tell. If you want to rule out that it's a problem with Wineskin you can create a brand new wrapper and copy your savegames across, to see if that helps.

This happened previously in the Beta too, and I've since deleted that wrapper and installed the full game in a new wrapper.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but when you say you tried adjusting your resolution do you mean the scaling in system preferences. For the 13” the final “more space” option should work for TEW.

Not a dumb question at all, I attempted to adjust the resolution via scaled options but none of them worked in terms of making the right side of the screen visible. It's almost like the window that TEW is contained within doesn't adjust and still cuts off that side no matter the scaling. I eventually ended up finding a PC to play on but thanks for all your help in even getting it up and running on my Mac.

Thanks for doing an updated version of this walkthrough. I took on the task of putting a similar post together years ago, back when no one else had yet. I actually had no idea this method was still possible with the Catalina update. This is a huge find. Good work!

Now I followed all the steps and got the game up and running, but when I try to start a game or view a worker's or company's profile, I get an error message about ovsbooleancontrols.ocx is missing. So as I go back into wineskin to run it, it's not there at all. So if you could please help and tell me what I need to do or install I would appreciate it. I really want to play this game.

Now I followed all the steps and got the game up and running, but when I try to start a game or view a worker's or company's profile, I get an error message about ovsbooleancontrols.ocx is missing. So as I go back into wineskin to run it, it's not there at all. So if you could please help and tell me what I need to do or install I would appreciate it. I really want to play this game.

This was a known issue back when I created this tutorial. Search for a file in finder titled "OVSB~3IL.OCX" and rename it "ovsbooleancontrols.ocx". Thats all you need to do.

Here is the old version of the tutorial, updated from my WMMA4 version when TEW2016 was released. It contains pretty much any possible problem with solutions: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534314

So the issue I'm having is that I have everything set up and was able to install and license the game, but then I can't launch the game. Everytime I click the app it loads up the install.exe

This sounds like you've selected the wrong .exe file as the launch file.

Under the heading "install TEW 2020" it looks like you might have missed this key point: "Once it's done you will be asked to choose the startup EXE. Make sure you choose TEW2020.exe and not UNWISE.exe."

EDIT: Either that, or you're clicking the wrong icon when trying to launch the game... but I'm doubtful.

I get an error during install that says "could not execute the external program C:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe

I followed all instructions exactly. I am running Catalina 10.15.4.

hm... this looks familiar. Here is the link to my initial tutorial: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529075

Two post above I linked the updated version by alex226. I don't have time to look but see if the solution is in either of those threads. If not, something just might not have installed correctly. I'd try to run through the steps again and see if the same error persist.

Thanks for doing an updated version of this walkthrough. I took on the task of putting a similar post together years ago, back when no one else had yet. I actually had no idea this method was still possible with the Catalina update. This is a huge find. Good work!

Wow... I'm dense. I just noticed that alex226 updated his own updated version of this tutorial. For some reason I thought the OP was someone new. :eek:

Has anybody had issues with Wine/Wineskin?

The app runs fine but as soon as I get to the Winetricks stage, I click the button and the window freezes and crashes. I've tried to delete all Wine related stuff and start from the beginning but it always crashes at the Winetricks stage. Very frustrating! Has anybody had a similar issue and found a way to fix it?

I have got the game running via Virtualbox but it's difficult to make it look good with the resolution difference :(

This was a known issue back when I created this tutorial. Search for a file in finder titled "OVSB~3IL.OCX" and rename it "ovsbooleancontrols.ocx". Thats all you need to do.

Here is the old version of the tutorial, updated from my WMMA4 version when TEW2016 was released. It contains pretty much any possible problem with solutions: http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534314

Thank you for responding and helping me out man. But I went into finder and renamed the "OVSB~3IL.OCX" file to "ovsbooleancontrols.ocx" yet it still did not work. I even went ahead and literally dragged the file into system 32, and I am still getting the error message.

Thank you for responding and helping me out man. But I went into finder and renamed the "OVSB~3IL.OCX" file to "ovsbooleancontrols.ocx" yet it still did not work. I even went ahead and literally dragged the file into system 32, and I am still getting the error message.

You shouldn't have to move the file at all. Try changing it to "ovsBooleanControls.ocx", as that's exactly what mine is currently and maybe it's case sensitive. Otherwise, maybe try running through all the steps again. I've never had too many issues getting this to work so it's always tough for me to troubleshoot. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the guide on how to set things up with Catalina. I got the game running last night.

Is there a way to resize the game to better fit my screen? I have a 13-inch Macbook and there are a few things that just don't fit right on my computer. I can deal with it, but it's inconvenient.

Is there a way I can play this on my Apple Ipad or is there a plan on releasing it somehow less complicated and not needing to download 200 things?

Kinda sorta managed to do it with 2016. First hurdle is you need to have a Windows computer (I have a desktop). If you have one download a virtual desktop (Chrome "RemoteDesktop" worked for me) to both the computer and iPad. Once done setup should be a breeze (and I wish I remembered how to do it lol). Then you should be able to access and control your computer programs such as TEW from anywhere (that's my understanding but I didn't take my iPad to a neighboring city to try it).

"Control" is a relative term with 2016 and I imagine it would be worse with 2020 (the interface is smaller and more cluttered in spots). I tried this before the iPad got full mouse support and scrolling and clicking through the lists was a huge chore (plus if you are using a mouse you are negating one of the nice things about having a tablet). But I did book matches and such using the iPad without a mouse. It was not a pleasant experience and I quickly decided it wasn't worth it but I did it.

Edit: if there is interest I'll figure it out (I simply have to remember how to activate the remote desktop on my computer) and try it with the new fangled keyboard (the Apple Magic Keyboard) on my iPad (so baby laptop mode). I don't think the previous Apple Smart Keyboard would be any better than just using the touchscreen since there is no trackpad. Perhaps the arrow keys would be helpful so I can use the ones on the Magic Keyboard to see if that's the case.

Thank you for the guide on how to set things up with Catalina. I got the game running last night.

Is there a way to resize the game to better fit my screen? I have a 13-inch Macbook and there are a few things that just don't fit right on my computer. I can deal with it, but it's inconvenient.

I don't think so. Pretty sure you need to run at the default size. I think you need to on the PC version as well, to be honest.