TEW 2020 on Mac Tutorial (including MacOS Catalina)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
After not launching any GreyDog games in awhile I tried it out today. I haven't gotten the same message... but my apps won't launch at all. It's probably related to the issue you've all experienced. Sadly, I don't have the time anymore to seriously dive into solving this problem but I will let everyone know if I happen to figure it out. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same issue

I've followed the instructions but I'm getting an error message saying TEW2020Settings.mdb has failed (ActiveX component can't create object) when I try to launch. Can anyone help?

Just downloaded today and followed instructions to a T. Getting same error.

That error message would seem to indicate there is something missing within WinE related to the MDAC components.

Do you know what could be missing? I have the latest Wine update, executed the necessary winetricks, and have no way to play the game unfortunately. Is there something we can look into or do on our ends?

MDAC is a series of Windows database components. I'm not sure what components Wine has installed, in theory you can do the normal stuff to register the various dlls and files (see the FAQs); I'm not entirely certain how to install anything missing within Wine if there isn't a Winetrick to enable. In general you could try to go wherever the components are installed by Wine. I have heard that Wine may support earlier versions of Windows better than Windows 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing TEW for years on Mac (using Wineskin, these tutorials have been great!) but after upgrading with the latest OS I think I'm out of luck this time. I've tried everything but just can't get this to work at all. Installation was fine, even managed to license the game, but it won't boot up the game afterwards.

EDIT: Quick update, I downloaded the CrossOver 14-day trial and within 2 minutes, TEW2020 is running like a dream. Only takes up about 600mb rather than over a gb too. Obviously CrossOver costs money but for anyone upgrading to BigSur on Mac, this might be the way forward. Super simple set-up too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just an update for those upgrading to BigSur on Mac anytime soon - the CrossOver fix isn't as stable as initially thought. Lots of freezing, numerous crashes.

Unsure what to do at this point, as the WineSkin tutorial doesn't seem to work for BigSur.

I initially had the same issue as you. If you highlight your TEW 2020 bottle on the side menu and click the drop down settings at the bottom of that menu you can turn off "Performance Enhanced Graphics" which seems to have fixed my issues.

I haven't had a single freeze or crash yet and I've run 2.5 months on my 2004 save. Before that I was lucky to get through one day before freezing.

I initially had the same issue as you. If you highlight your TEW 2020 bottle on the side menu and click the drop down settings at the bottom of that menu you can turn off "Performance Enhanced Graphics" which seems to have fixed my issues.

I haven't had a single freeze or crash yet and I've run 2.5 months on my 2004 save. Before that I was lucky to get through one day before freezing.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to try this at some point. In the meantime, another issue I had on CrossOver was that when the worker/company images are shown as smaller versions (Creative Meeting screen, for example) the quality would get extremely bad. Did you find a fix for this, too?

Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to try this at some point. In the meantime, another issue I had on CrossOver was that when the worker/company images are shown as smaller versions (Creative Meeting screen, for example) the quality would get extremely bad. Did you find a fix for this, too?

No, it still looks garbage. I've just learned to live with that part.

• 2 weeks later...
I've followed the instructions but I'm getting an error message saying TEW2020Settings.mdb has failed (ActiveX component can't create object) when I try to launch. Can anyone help?

So I was having this issue.

I pasted TEW 2020 into my working TEW 2016 Wrapper.

Then switched the exe and it worked (It also worked in a copy and pasted Wrapper copy).

No idea why, but hey I'm not going to complain. So I just switch the exe depending on what I want to play.

Edit: okay it has this annoying issue where if I accidentally click on a window behind the topmost window, I get stuck. But I can at least play

• 3 weeks later...
Parallels is is t the cheapest option but it is the best

Thank you. I don't understand how that works though. Is it best if I buy the standard edition and pay once but have no updates, or take a subscription (but it means I'm going to pay indefinitely, which might be useless if updates aren't particularly needed).