Lionesses of Wrestling - From The Ground Up

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHkkCoa.jpgTsyGKN4.jpgpWijXOZ.jpgAgRlr4T.jpg

The moment I stepped back through the curtain, my exultant spell broke and the fatigue hit me like a tonne of bricks. I doubled over, hands on my knees, panting and gasping for air. Four matches in less than two hours. I was knackered.

“Ellen!” Suddenly I was surrounded by my friends, whooping and patting me on the back. I managed to straighten up and flash an exhausted smile. The excited chatter took a couple of seconds to start making sense as words, but the first that reached me were Abbi’s.

“You two did such a good job! That was really good!”

Well, Abbi would say that if I’d knocked myself out in the first minute and Sally had had to puppeteer me around the ring until I recovered enough to roll her up, but I appreciated the thought. Things had gone—they felt like they’d gone alright. With burning lungs, sweat in my eyes and screaming muscles, I couldn’t think much about whether the match had been good or bad.

Damn what a rush.

“Yeah, nice work mate.” Sally handed me a bottle of water, which I cracked open and started to guzzle greedily.

“Don’t praise her too much,” drawled Rajni. “She already booked herself to win. Her head won’t fit through the bloody door.”

“Piss off, Raj,” I replied, making a jerking motion.

“See? Already abusing the talent.”

“What talent?” Sally wondered. Rajni snortlaughed. Abbi tried to hide a giggle.

As we all calmed a little, I rubbed my face with a towel and slung it over my shoulder. Taking another sip, I cleared my throat gently. The others all looked to me once again. Even Vivi glanced my way, though when she caught me looking, she immediately stuck out her tongue. Some things never changed.

“Listen, I just want to thank everyone for doing this. You didn’t have to, and I know I’ve been all over the place these past couple of months. I couldn’t have put this show on without you and uh, well, thanks. It means a lot to me.”

Rajni shrugged. “Didn’t have anything better to do. Footie wasn’t on.”

“For christ’s sake, Raj!” Abbi burst out. “What she means to say, Ellen, is that you’re welcome.”

“I dunno. Ellen or footie—” Rajni broke off laughing as Abbi shoved her.

Sally held out a fist for me to bump, I met it with mine. She looked me in the eyes, deadly serious.

“This is just the start.”

In the words of the out of touch, over the hill philosopher, Vince McMahon, this is good sh........... :D

Hahaha, thank you!

I've booked this way once before and it's way too much fun.

I'm really enjoying this so far. Keep up the good work.

Cheers!

BRILLIANT first show, absolutely brilliant!

Thanks very much!

I know it's not big on presentation but I tend to find that's the big momentum killer for me when I'm making my diaries. I'm glad it's still a good read anyhow!

I know it's not big on presentation but I tend to find that's the big momentum killer for me when I'm making my diaries. I'm glad it's still a good read anyhow!

It's a great read!

Much as I enjoy fancy presentation in diaries, having this one be barebones kind of fits the narrative so I don't mind at all.

Maybe just drop an extra line-break between segments.

TsyGKN4.jpgRtdfAL0.jpg

Saturday wk 2, January

I was running down the card one last time with Nicky, a friend of ours who’d volunteered to help out, when raised voices reached us from across the modestly-sized area we used as our ‘locker room’. I glanced over, and my stomach instantly sank. Vivienne was squaring up to Sally, face red and her hands bunched into fists. Sally wore a slightly-incredulous smile, her hands on her hips. Even from over here, the height difference was stark.

Muttering an apology to Nicky, I leapt to my feet and rushed over to them just as Viv really shouted.

“Leave off me!” she cried, voice rising unevenly, wobbling in a way I knew signalled incoming waterworks. “Y-you’re not funny!”

“No but you’re hilarious,” said Sally, her sing-song tone making my skin crawl. Behind the two, Abbi was looking on, paralysed, while Rajni had a panicked half-grin. Raj noticed me coming, and tipped her head towards Sally. Great.

Viv opened her mouth, no doubt to start shrieking, and I stepped between them both. “That’s enough.”

“S-she was making fun of me!” Viv burst out.

“She needs to learn to take a joke,” Sally shot back. If Rajni hadn’t already clued me in, then that would have clinched it.

“Hey Sal, quick word?”

I didn’t wait for an answer, just grabbed her by the shoulder and pulled her away from the group and into the kitchenette bordering the room. It wasn’t completely private but that was sort of the point, I wanted the others to hear. She shook me off as we entered, shooting me an irritated look. That sparked my frustration further. She was the one I was supposed to be able to count on!

“What the bloody hell are you playing at?” I snapped.

“I was joking around, like. Just a bit of banter.”

“You’re being a dickhead.”

She blinked a couple of times. “She’s way too sensitive—”

“She’s sixteen!” I barked across her. She faltered. “Remember what it was like when people took the piss out of us in secondary?”

“Well… yeah.”

“That’s you right now. You’re being the bullying pr**ks.”

Sally didn’t seem to know how to take that. “It was—look wrestlers wind each other up, don’t they? We’ve both read Dangerous’s book, and Chord’s, and Strong—”

“Yeah and they were grown-arse men and it was the 70s and 80s. Want to go back to starting fights at football grounds, too?”

She muttered something about me taking this too seriously. I didn’t catch the exact words.

“No. I’m taking us being wrestlers seriously. Viv is working her socks off reffing all these matches and she wants us to succeed. Do you want to kill wrestling for her? You want us to have to find someone else to ref?”

“I… no. I guess.”

“Then stop. Being. A. Dick. Head.”

“...Right.” She sloped out. I glared a hole in her back.

“You better say sorry!” I called after her.

Being the boss sucked.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Croquemitaine" data-cite="Croquemitaine" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49019" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It's a great read!<p> </p><p> Much as I enjoy fancy presentation in diaries, having this one be barebones kind of fits the narrative so I don't mind at all.</p><p> </p><p> Maybe just drop an extra line-break between segments.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'll see how things look to my eye next show with another break.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Willsky" data-cite="Willsky" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49019" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is really great. The personalities of the characters shines through so well in your writing and I can't wait to see how the girls get on!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks! Trying to keep that at the forefront.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Phantom Stranger" data-cite="Phantom Stranger" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="49019" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I hear there was a lot of good stuff in Dangerous' book.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Good egg, that Horatio. Any surprise that young british wrestling fans would want to read his material?</p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:14px;"><strong>Lionesses of Wrestling II: Cubs</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Saturday, week 2 January 2020</p><p>

Gloucester Street Youth Centre</p><p>

Attendance: 63</p><p>

Not broadcast</p><p>

Commentary: None</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>The show is opened by Ellen Ward, who has a microphone and a bad attitude. She expresses her frustration at the idea of tonight being another tournament, especially given that it will crown the LoW British champion. She literally just proved that she’s the best on the roster, she should be getting awarded the title by default. Ward finishes with a blunt warning: anyone in her path is going to get a knee to the face. - <strong>D-</strong></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Rajni Smith is in our first contest again. This time she faces Sally-as-Shinobi, who is allegedly legally distinct from Ronin because...she has a long bandanna whereas Ronin’s attire was plain? Ah forget it. Rajni continues to wander off script mid-match, resulting in a kind of amusing whiff as Shinobi tries for a clumsy springboard press while Rajni’s on the opposite side of the ring mocking the crowd. Rajni takes control and after an awkward scoop slam, manages to land her leg drop for the win. - <strong>F</strong><br /> <br /></li></ul><p></p><p>

</p><ul><li>Abbi Archer comes to the ring for a promo. She’s a bit shy and it shows, causing her to falter a few times when delivering dialogue. Still, she’s heartfelt as she thanks the crowd for their support and trust in her so far, and promises that she will continue to do her very best, tonight and every night to come. - <strong>E-</strong><br /> <br /></li></ul><p></p><p>

</p><ul><li>Moonlighting as the fairly badass looking masked Assassin (who is allegedly legally distinct from Shinobi because she’s not asian), Ellen Ward takes on Sakuyama. This one is actually pretty good by the slowly-establishing standard of LoW as the pair get to grips with a passable chain grappling match. Assassin pulls ahead as she traps Sakuyama in the ropes and tees off, eventually catching a warning from the referee. The reprieve is just enough for Sakuyama, and as Assassin advances once more, she eats a boot to the face. Sakuyama frees herself, runs wild, and hits the Kagawa Driver 20. - <strong>E-</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>An aquamarine aggressor is our latest new face, an Abbi Archer-sized figure introduced as the Blue Ranger. There’s a slight delay before Ellen Ward emerges from the back, almost as if she had just been wrestling a moment before… nah. True to her word, Ward is exceedingly angry, taking it to the Ranger hammer and tongs, dragging her outside of the ring, bouncing her head off the apron, and whipping her into the ring post. She sets up for a piledriver onto the floor, but Ranger counters with a painful looking back body drop. Ward escapes the ten count, barely, and the two brawl around the ring before Ward scores with a kick combo, creating space—then smashes the glittering magician knee directly into Ranger’s face. - <strong>E-</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Ward stalks to the back <em>extremely</em> quickly… and a moment later, out comes Cap’n Swann alongside a tricorn-wearing, parrot-wielding, eye-patched fellow pirate, Bosun Bakshi. The two of them exchange nautical puns for a few minutes, clearly enjoying themselves, and Swann hypes up Bakshi as her ‘trusted lieutenant, matey’. - <strong>E+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Bakshi entrusts Swann with the (stuffed) parrot as Abbi Archer comes out for the contest and it’s actually Rajni—sorry, Bakshi’s—best match so far? If she’d had more than one match. Which she hasn’t. Obviously. The two of them just click together in the ring, giving us a short-but-sweet contest with piratical antics aplenty. Swann attempts to toss Bakshi the parrot while the referee’s back is turned, but Archer bats it out of the air (evincing a cry of “POLLY! NOOO!” from Swann). As Bakshi stares after Polly in disbelief, Archer creeps up behind and swaps the eyepatch from one eye to the other, blinding her, and then scores her leaping cutter to collect the win. - <strong>F+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>The first semi-final sees Ellen Ward versus Rajni Smith. Smith talks a whole lot of smack, trying to get into Ward’s head and succeeding, managing to bait her into a succession of rash attacks, matador style. However, the strategy can’t work forever, and after Ward kicks furiously out of a roll-up attempt, she goes completely nuts with strikes, brutalising Smith. She goes to tee up her knee, but then changes her mind on the run up, hitting a soccer kick and then locking in a crucifix armbar, screaming “A! AND! E!” Rajni taps out swiftly. - <strong>F+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Not content with merely securing the submission, Ward watches Rajni writhe in pain on the mat for a moment, then drags her to her feet, punches her in the gut, and hits the glittering magician to leave her lying. - <strong>E+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Sakuyama vs. Abbi Archer rounds up the semis. It’s a decently competitive match that’s fought completely cleanly. Sakuyama is technically superior, but Archer does a great job of firing up the crowd on her behalf, using some of her speed and agility to wriggle clear of suplex attempts and holds. Unfortunately, Sakuyama has already worn her down, and she isn’t fast enough to successfully land the cutter, her attempt getting evaded. Crashing to the mat, Archer is easy prey for a Kagawa Driver 20. - <strong>F+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>After the pinfall, Sakuyama allows Archer a moment to recover and then extends a hand to help her up. Archer looks at it, then accepts, and the fans give them some love as they shake hands. Archer’s eyes widen—she pulls Sakuyama aside—Ward’s attempted kick to the back of the head goes wild! Ellen promptly rounds on Archer, decking her with a punch, but is dragged off by Sakuyama. The referee intercedes, pushing them both apart, and Ward’s ambush has been thwarted! - <strong>E</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Two weeks running, Sakuyama vs. Ellen Ward, two weeks running, this probably falls short of what the two of them would want to deliver. The breakneck pace is a little too much for both of them, and there isn’t enough psychology or enough experience to create the pedal-to-the-metal vibe that both competitors clearly want. It’s not awful by any means, an entertaining brawl mixed in with some good mat work, including a good sequence as Sakuyama repeatedly evades the crucifix armbar, but as the twosome most serious about wrestling, this isn’t quite there. Finally, Ward thinks she has enough separation for the glittering magician, but Sakuyama blocks it, counters with a fisherman, and then rounds off with a Kagawa Driver for the three count! Sakuyama is the first LoW British champion! - <strong>F+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

SHOW RATING: <strong>E-</strong></p>

So I love this idea and all, but question: Why couldn't they train in the WWA? Might be missing it in the middle of all that scousing aboot, but a cursory Ctrl+F of the diary revealed no mentions of it, and I _think_ they accept female graduates.

Can't wait to see Thea Davis debut at some point and just destroy everyone :p

Good to see you in the dynasty business again, I remember that old TEW 2010 Edd Stone dynasty well and I'll follow along with this here.

Ah yes well you see

*runs away*

(I forgot. However, thank you for pointing it out, as I'll write something to accommodate the WWA now).

And hahaha, I miss writing the Eddboy. Gratified someone remembers that old thing!

Thea's certainly on the radar, the barrier is pricing...

SHkkCoa.jpg

Returning back behind the curtain, I splashed my face with some water and tried to break through the frustration that I could feel pressing onto me. Call it tiredness, or maybe trying too hard, but it got at me that Sally and I had done better earlier in the night than when we were really giving it our all. The main event was what would live longer in the memory than a miscellaneous match earlier in the night with one person wearing a mask. And fine it wasn’t terrible or anything but it just. Ugh. It just wasn’t as good.

I had to be projecting a ‘don’t talk to me’ sort of vibe because Raj and Abbi both stayed in conversation over the opposite side of the ‘locker room’. They might have waved, I wasn’t paying attention, pulling up a chair and grabbing a towel. I was midway through throwing it over my head before I changed my mind. That was just sulking. Okay. The match wasn’t exactly to plan. So what? People had come back a week after our first show and paid for the privilege. We’d drawn, two weeks running. It wasn’t as if anyone was watching and handing out grades and star ratings. Once we got ourselves established, that would be the time to worry about main events underdelivering.

I let out a long breath and felt some tension leave along with it. Footsteps drew my attention, and I looked up to see Viv and Sally walk in from ringside. Viv was beaming, and Sally looked tired, but happy. Sally held out a fist for her to bump, and Viv met it, before laughing and playfully pushing Sally away as she clapped a hand around her shoulders.

Sally caught my eye and gave me a wink as Viv ran over to Raj and Abbi; looked as if the two of them had made up. Another weight off my shoulders, didn’t need my best friend and my sister winding each other up.

On to next week.

SHkkCoa.jpgAgRlr4T.jpg

Turned out next week sucked too.

Things started off okay: Sally gave me a lift to the Youth Centre along with Nicky and company, arriving at a little after 1pm to help get everything set up and run through a few last minute plans. Once we’d all assembled the ring and set out the chairs, we broke off for lunch, along with the arriving Abbi and Viv, who’d had homework. Mood was good, everyone was chill.

What was less chill was when it hit 5pm, an hour before doors, and Rajni still hadn’t turned up. And wasn’t answering her phone. I’d done a hundred laps of the ‘locker room’, frantically pacing, texting, pacing, texting, calling, pacing, calling, texting. My phone case creaked in my hand. It took a lot not to throw the thing at the wall.

“Ellen, it’ll be okay,” Abbi soothed.

“How will it be okay!?” I rounded on her, and immediately felt awful as she shrank back. I hauled back on my anger. “Soz. I just—I don’t think we can run this with three of us, even with different props. We haven’t prepped anything and—christ’s sake, she’s supposed to be in the main event!”

“Ellen.” I’d been working myself up all over again, and Sally’s voice pulled me out of it. “We’ll make it up as we go if it comes to it. Do promos to pad things out. We’ll find a way to make things work.”

“Someone say improv?” Rajni strolled in, a can of monster in one hand. “I love improv, what are we doing?”

I didn’t explode, but the fuse was lit.

“Raj! Where the bloody hell have you been!?”

“Uh. Enjoying my weekend.”

“And you couldn’t even let us know!?”

A bemused, infuriating smile played across her face. “My phone’s got no charge.”

I swore. Twice.

She shrugged. “Chill out, Disaster. It’s just for fun, right?”

You’d expect that to tick me off even more. Instead it had the opposite effect, putting things into context. Going radio silence was annoying as hell and she really needed to get here earlier than this, but wrestling was life to me and Sally. To Rajni it was just barely a hobby, and a big chunk was actually her doing them a favour. A series of favours. Nobody was forcing Rajni to be here.

I sighed.

“No. No it’s not.”

Raj took a swig from her drink. “Slave driver.” She winked.

“Not in the mood, Raj. Please try and get here on time.”

“Alright. I get it.”

I knuckled my head as she strolled by. Now I had thirty minutes to calm down before we were on. Game face on.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="font-size:14px;">Lionesses of Wrestling III: Live!</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Saturday, week 3 January 2020</p><p>

Gloucester Street Youth Centre</p><p>

Attendance: 63</p><p>

Not broadcast</p><p>

Commentary: None</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Ellen Ward starts us off in the ring. She’s very frustrated by her defeat last week, but as far as she’s concerned, she should be the first in line to win the British title that is rightfully hers. In reply, out comes Rajni Smith, who insults Ellen’s intelligence for somehow believing she has a claim to a title that was never on the line. Ward wonders if Rajni’s looking to get her arse beaten again. Rajni thinks she deserves first shot, because Ward already had her opportunity. They continue to argue, and Sakuyama emerges. She says she’s willing and able to fight, but since they can’t agree, perhaps they should compete tonight, with the winner facing her next week. Both agree, and our main event is set. - <strong>D</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Ninja versus Airwoman next with a battle between Shinobi and Aviator Agarwal, who has spent her ‘week off’ getting a shirt printed (a black aviator hat stencil with an A in each eye). The cheerful pilot tries to get Shinobi in on the fun of her peppy entrance, but ninja are legally prohibited from having a sense of humour and Shinobi kicks her in the face. Agarwal sells the beating pretty well, managing to battle back as she confounds Shinobi’s ninjutsu with an inside cradle. Agarwal is able to counter out of a powerbomb with a good ol’ punch to thenoggin, flattening Shinobi as she falls backwards, and then rushes to the top rope to hit a splash for the one two three. - <strong>F+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Absolutely delighted, Agarwal does a loop of the ring and then a loop of the outside of the ring, cheering and celebrating like a loon. Shinobi sits up and we assume glares but we can’t properly see her eyes so the doubtlessly menacing effect is ruined. - <strong>D-</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Abbi Archer is in action against the other half of the pirate duo, Cap’n Swann, Bosun Bakshi at ringside. In an evenly matched contest, Swann shows the so-called landlubber her mettle with hard shots to the body and face. Boosting Archer onto the top rope, she proclaims that it’s time for a Plank Drop, but Archer fights back! She climbs upright, taking two steps along the top rope! She’s walking the plank! Bakshi can’t believe it! Archer dives down with a closed fist and decks the pirate, and then strikes with her cutter as her opponent is discombobulated. - <strong>E-</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Bakshi enters the ring and commiserates with the distraught Swann, who wails about being bested by a landlubber. The whole thing turns into a skit as Bakshi issues a delightful pep talk that has the crowd laughing and playing off of her, cheering Swann considerably and eventually coaxing a big ‘yarrrrr!’ out of her before they both leave. - <strong>D</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Semi-main event has the Masked Damsel fighting the Ronin, who is a masked damsel except lower case. Damsel is peak snivelling and whinging heel in this one and really starts to get the crowd irritated as she powders out of the ring, runs crying to the referee, and ducks out between the ropes for time outs. Ronin kicks her. Quite hard. At length, Damsel attempts to throw Ronin into the turnbuckles, but gets reversed and bounced off in turn. Damsel rebounds and staggers into a moderately high roundhouse kick, which is enough for the win. - <strong>E-</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>Ronin then gets on the microphone, trying very, very hard to sound like a movie samurai and not a Liverpudlian. She gets halfway there. She states that her goal is to find worthy competition in ‘this foreign land’ (the crowd politely does not point out she is not actually Japanese), and that she has found her opponent tonight wanting. In the future, she hopes that her enemies do not disappoint her. - <strong>D-</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><ul><li>With a title opportunity on the line, Rajni and Ellen enjoy a back and forth encounter that still involves a whole lot of trash talk. Rajni, in fact, barely shuts up, maintaining a running commentary throughout the match that incorporates a few zingers. Ellen is not amused, and demonstrates it by planting Rajni with a front suplex and then sarcastically narrating her next few moves. This plays into the psychology of the finish as Rajni calls for “A big leg lariat that drives the crowd wild!”, Ellen tries to counter—and Rajni instead rolls her up and snatches the pinfall! Ward is furious, Rajni laughs it up on the outside, then beats a swift retreat as Ellen lunges for her. - <strong>F+</strong><br /></li></ul><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

SHOW RATING: <strong>E</strong></p>

SHkkCoa.jpgpWijXOZ.jpg

My Friday afternoons had become a whole lot busier since we started up LoW. Well, all of my afternoons actually, but Fridays especially. There always seemed to be more prep to be done, and no matter how hard I planned out the rest of the week and how many hours I tried to ram into every other day (you didn’t need to sleep six hours every night, right?), Friday always found itself sacrificed to the wrestling gods. The others were differing degrees of helpful; I couldn’t expect Abbi and Raj to do much more than they already were, between fliers and planning matches. Not everyone was a fanatic like Sal and I, and the fact that they were willingly dedicating so much time already—well, they didn’t have to wrestle, let alone the training and flyering.

I was trying to number crunch on our budget, or what passed for a budget when you were so amateur the bank wouldn’t let you open a business account. Even with everyone working free, the bills added up fast; the last thing we needed was carelessness with money. Sally helping out with costs already felt uncomfortable, since this was my idea in the first place, and I didn’t even want to think about how many things that Rajni had paid for unasked—though I was and keeping score at that, because I refused to drain her bank account and goodwill for my own daft venture.

Speaking of Raj, the four of us were in her parents’ caravan, which she had so far attempted to get us to call HQ, the Rajmobile and Pride Rock and been roundly outvoted. I was the only one of us actively working on LoW stuff: Abbi was doing school work for her college, while Rajni had managed to draw Sally into watching some kind of documentary about BSC, allegedly for research but truthfully for the women. Whatever, at least they’d waited until Vivienne went home; watch softcore if you really want I guess, but not in front of my sixteen year old sister.

“You know,” Sally said after a bit. “Sara Silver really could have done something with herself.” Rajni gigglesnorted. “Not like that!” Sally snapped. “Out of the gutter.”

“Didn’t even say anything.”

“You thought it. Very loudly.” Sally waved a hand. “Anyway. Listen to her colour. It’s like, actually good. How was someone who was basically calling a strip tease more interesting to listen to than people who have been on national TV for years?”

“It’s okay, you can say Kyle Rhodes,” I murmured, not looking up from my notepad.

Sally chuckled. “Exactly. Give her the right partner and she’d have been flying.”

“Can see it now: Sara Silver on American Wrestling, wondering why Alicia Strong isn’t shaking her bum to distract her opponents,” drawled Rajni, then paused, smiling crookedly. “I mean, not that I’d mind—”

“Are we going to have to get the spray bottle? Down girl!” Sally valiantly attempted to guide the conversation back on track. “Anyway, she called the more wrestly matches that they did, too, and like, yeah, they were still wearing skimpy outfits, but listen to the commentary and it’s night and day from how say like, AAA’s was.”

“Fs in the chat,” said Rajni.

“Just a shame, I reckon. She had a lot of potential,” Sally concluded.

“Two great potentials.”

“Okay now you’re just doing it on purpose.”

“Lil’ bit.”

“You’re such a perv.”

“Okay mate, but like, objectively, she’s hot. Disaster, back me up.”

“Whuh?” I shrank back behind my notebook. “What?”

“Sara Silver. Hot.”

“I, uh. Well. Um.” I felt my cheeks start to go red.

Rajni cackled. “Every time. You’re so easy to wind up. We’re adults, here. Your mum isn’t going to tell you off for talking about boobs.”

“Whatever.” I muttered, tucking my knees up to hide my face a little. It wasn’t that—I just got flustered when I thought about things like that. I started daydreaming, my mind got carried away and just—it was embarrassing, alright?

“Speaking of boobs,” Rajni segued flawlessly, fidgeting with her bra strap. “Mine are killing me today. I caught myself on the door earlier and I literally nearly died.”

“Ugh, same,” said Sally.

“You nearly died?”

“My boobs you t**t. My back is shocking.”

“Stop letting Ellen dump you on it then.”

“Har har.”

The two continued to bicker, but after a few, I noticed that Abbi had slipped out. I frowned, put down my notebook, and followed. Raj and Sally could entertain themselves.

She hadn’t gone far. I spotted her leaning against a tree at the bottom of the garden, forehead pressed to her forearm. My first words came and died in my throat as I grew closer, saw the tremor in her shoulders, heard the light gasping of her breath.

“Abbi?” I ventured tentatively.

“I’m fine,” she said in a voice heavy with tears.

“I don’t think you are.”

“Good for you.”

I paused, hand hovering between reaching out. I halfway lowered it. “Abs, if you don’t want me here, I’ll go.”

She said nothing, but continued to sniffle, jerking slightly with her suppressed sobs.

That was enough for me, I closed the rest of the distance and put my hand on her shoulder. “Hey. What’s up?”

“It’s—you don’t want to… it’s silly. You’re busy, I don’t want to waste your time.”

“You’re not wasting anyone’s time. You’re allowed to be upset.”

Abbi kept her head pressed against arm and tree both. This close, I could see the tears trickling down her cheek. I had an idea about what could be wrong, but whether to talk about it was her choice. Poking at the problem wasn’t going to help her feel better.

“It’s just, when they talk about girls like that, and-and their—you know... I just—I start thinking about how that’s—how I don’t…” She choked up, the words dissolving into a heaving sob.

Ah. Yeah.

I was right.

I tried to sort through what to say in my head. The first couple of things that sprung to mind I rejected, they seemed… meaningless, murmured noises of sympathy that didn’t offer comfort or perspective. I thought about trying to fire her up, trying to rile her emotions, turn it into a ‘screw you, world!’, but Abbi didn’t work like that. Righteously pissed off wasn’t her thing. Too kind, too gentle. The idea of making a joke out of it wasn’t even worth entertaining: it’d take a far funnier person than me.

“You’re not where you want to be right now, but you’ll get there. I know you will.”

Abbi sniffed, the tears kept flowing.

“Come on, come here.” I held out my arms to her. After a second, she turned into me and put her head on my shoulder. “I know that I can’t really understand exactly what you’re going through, but I’m with you. We’re all with you. Not just me and Sal and Raj, but Nicky and all that, Viv, my mum and dad. We’ve got your back.”

“...Thanks.”

“And for what it’s worth, I think you’re already doing really well. When you do start your meds you’ll be a complete babe. Don’t need big boobs. I don’t have big boobs. You’ve got a tonne of things going for you.”

She managed a wan smile. “You think so?”

I squeezed her. “Absolutely.”

We stood out there together for a while.

This really is Skins with wrestling.

I'll take it :p

Honestly just want to give Abbi a hug, I've been there girl, it's okay :(

Aw, yeah, it's rough for sure.

Luckily she does have these friends around her to help, but even then it's not always enough.

In the mechanical sense, Abbi has the Personal Issues attribute: this is something she'll be carrying around for a while, which y'know, only makes sense.