Are match focus and angle focus product settings realistic or not?

I'm loving the new game so far but I'm struggling to understand the realism of companies having different match focus and angle focus product settings.

How could one company's show get rated mostly on a main event while another company in the same region could get rated on "Three Ring Circus" for example? It doesn't really make sense to me. Also its very easy to game the system since you can change it on the fly.

In real life we don't watch one company's events and think "This company had a fantastic main event with a poor undercard, therefore the whole show was great" and watch another company and think "This company had a fantastic main event with a poor undercard, therefore the whole show was bad".

Is there something I'm missing?

I'm loving the new game so far but I'm struggling to understand the realism of companies having different match focus and angle focus product settings.

How could one company's show get rated mostly on a main event while another company in the same region could get rated on "Three Ring Circus" for example? It doesn't really make sense to me. Also its very easy to game the system since you can change it on the fly.

In real life we don't watch one company's events and think "This company had a fantastic main event with a poor undercard, therefore the whole show was great" and watch another company and think "This company had a fantastic main event with a poor undercard, therefore the whole show was bad". Even worse is that these companies can have two identical products but with different match/angle focuses.

Is there something I'm missing?

Short answer is that different companies will have different audiences.

Presentation probably comes into it a bit, too.

You might have the commentators or ring announcer put a big emphasis on the main event, talk through 'lesser' matches a lot, put them forward as not having much gravitas. Others might put other matches in as important, give each contest time and respect.

I think some of the %s might be a little more gamey than realistic but heyo they all have pros and cons as a playstyle.

Short answer is that different companies will have different audiences.

That still doesn't make sense because you can have an identical core product, in the same exact region, which would in real life draw similar audiences, but arbitrarily choose that fans rate the shows based on the main event or the undercard+main event.

You might have the commentators or ring announcer put a big emphasis on the main event, talk through 'lesser' matches a lot, put them forward as not having much gravitas. Others might put other matches in as important, give each contest time and respect.

I think some of the %s might be a little more gamey than realistic but heyo they all have pros and cons as a playstyle.

That makes a bit of sense to me.

It just seems to be a pointless and cheap mechanic to decide how the fans will rate the show. Vince McMahon cant just decide one day that all shows going forward will be rated based mostly on the main event and then the following week decides that fans will rate it on the a three ring circus. How the show gets rated shouldn't be a decision made by the company.

This. I really like the idea of it being choosing what the announcers focus on. Feels visceral and real.

It does feel game-y, especially to do it instantly, but I appreciate the option. I've always been someone who just focuses on the main event, and gleefully put cheap garbage on undercards. A lot of others seem to insist on 4-star matches in every slot.

If you’re saying the product should dictate the match/angle focus then I get what you’re going for.

I’ve always seen it as the slight differences in the product. NXT for example is roughly the same product as WWE, but they probably use a Main Event focus for matches and WWE doesn’t. This allows them to book a bunch of inconsequential squash matches but as long as their big thing on top delivers, everything is fine.

You’d never be able to get by with just 1 interesting match on the main roster which is where the difference comes in, even if the product is fairly similar.

Keep in mind that it’s also super dynamic and you can change it at will. If you’re running a 60 minute draw on your 90 minute Tv show it makes sense the other matches wouldn’t be as large of a factor.

I would also say that changing it back in forth isn't something you are going to do in real life, so your complaints are valid. Switching it back and forth is a game thing, and it is up to the player's discretion on rather or not they use it. I personally haven't touched it once and never even thought about it being used like that.

On the other hand, I am really bad about doing only freestyle angles and giving every single person in it successes, so everyone has good momentum on my roster. Which is obviously gamey.

Has anyone used 3 Ring circus successfully? I set it that way and had a main of 67 (a worker got injured mid-match and killed the score), with a 73 and 78 on the show.

My math says that is a 72 or 73, depending which way you round. I got a 64.

Only explanation I have is I am supposed to have 10% angles. I can skp it, but I wonder if that hasn't been costing me due to 10% of 0 being....0%.