What's the best way of building people in small companies without using Keep Strong?

I'm playing as MAW and having a difficult time. My company is 32 pop and nearly my entire roster is either Recognizable or Unimportant, and they mostly fall in the 17-21 popularity range with only a few exceptions. I don't see much of a problem with their momentum, but they don't seem to be gaining any popularity.

What's the best way to build up people on a one show per month model?

I don't want to use exploits like Keep Strong and stuff like that.

One thing you could do is bring in more over people through alliance loans and have them put over your talent. If they get upset you can ask them to put talent over or, if you're not interested in ever hiring them, you can just proceed with jobbing them out without a care.

I've been running APCW and it took a little while, but just putting on good shows has helped slowly drag it up to small (show average around 60ish). I've got Mimic up to 51 overness (he's now leaving me) and taken a couple from 0 to mid 40's. Grab Wrestlezone as soon as you can. If you hire a couple of people who will go on TV for similar rivals, you can grab an easier ride, but they will want more money as they gain value.

Keep Strong? I hardly EVER use that note, I literally only ever use it to stop someone complaining about a loss, and only if the Dominate note doesn't stop them complaining first.

I book most of my matches with Open Match and avoid notes that ping the rating like Keep Strong, I think consistently good match ratings is a good way to get people over.

I never use that. Just feature them in strong segments, that's all. Also it's not an exploit - it hinders the match rating. I suggest hiring a couple superstars to aid with the overall level of your roster.

I was about to say, it caps the effect of the match and hurts the rating to minimize the pop/momentum loss for the loser. Which is perfectly balanced.

I use “Keep Strong” for fluke wins. Guy A is clearly winning but a bad twist of fate has it go the other way. The classic is the ref takes a bump so misses the pin but when Guy A goes to check on the ref his opponent hits a surprise finisher and gets the pinfall instead

I use “Keep Strong” for fluke wins. Guy A is clearly winning but a bad twist of fate has it go the other way. The classic is the ref takes a bump so misses the pin but when Guy A goes to check on the ref his opponent hits a surprise finisher and gets the pinfall instead

You should use tainted wins/flash pinfall/cheap win for this. Keep Strong is for Dominant guys so that you don't murder their pop when they have to take a loss or for guys you're grooming for a big push but need them to lose to swap the midcard belt so that you don't take a broadside to their momentum. For example. Foley-Rock Empty Arena with the forklift finish, or Brock at the Rumble this year. It's not something you should be spamming(unless you have USPW circa 2010 or something) Protect is also an option here. Which is always something I've gone back and forth on. When to use Protect vs. Keep Strong.

Blows my mind about the number of youtubers who throw "Keep Strong" around like it's candy when they book matches... I genuinely think a lot of people don't actually understand what the note means.

Something about Youtube and TEW just doesn't mix in my head. It sounds really weird. :D

Something about Youtube and TEW just doesn't mix in my head. It sounds really weird. :D

I think there's more potential here than people realize. But the game's audience is quite small and the burden of charisma is REALLY high to pull it off. Twitch would make more sense to me as just a few hundred passionate viewers can get you into at least part-time job level money. If that is something you'd want to build up.

DuggerTime is probably the closest to the pin right now on youtube. I really like his NWA save.

Oh really? There's plenty of good series out there, and I've been watching TEW on youtube since back in the TEW2013 days.

You should check it out.

There's also a lot of crap by people who really don't know how to play the game too, but you'll figure that out quickly enough.

You should use tainted wins/flash pinfall/cheap win for this. Keep Strong is for Dominant guys so that you don't murder their pop when they have to take a loss or for guys you're grooming for a big push but need them to lose to swap the midcard belt so that you don't take a broadside to their momentum. For example. Foley-Rock Empty Arena with the forklift finish, or Brock at the Rumble this year. It's not something you should be spamming(unless you have USPW circa 2010 or something) Protect is also an option here. Which is always something I've gone back and forth on. When to use Protect vs. Keep Strong.

Isn't protect to protect awful workers awfulness from being exposed and not about wins and losses? They are put in a situation where their flaws aren't exposed.

I never use that. Just feature them in strong segments, that's all. Also it's not an exploit - it hinders the match rating. I suggest hiring a couple superstars to aid with the overall level of your roster.

It really doesn't hinder it that much.

It could be exploitable when used in ways that are unintended. When I was doing a MAW save in 2016, you could bring in much more popular guys through alliance loans, have your top stars beat them with Keep Strong, then just continue down the chain using Keep Strong to preserve the top popularity. The small decreases in show rating is worth it in the long run.

It really doesn't hinder it that much.

It could be exploitable when used in ways that are unintended. When I was doing a MAW save in 2016, you could bring in much more popular guys through alliance loans, have your top stars beat them with Keep Strong, then just continue down the chain using Keep Strong to preserve the top popularity. The small decreases in show rating is worth it in the long run.

The wrestler who wins gains less popularity than he would if there was no "keep strong" note on the other guy.

Agreed. I would never use it in a main event match but in the middle of the card as way to get pop to the people I'm pushing? By all means.

Really what I do is use it in situations like this:

1) Triple threat match. Champ and Contender are in a feud but there is a third guy in the ring to take the all. Champ beats jobber but Contender is kept strong so the lose doesn't hurt the storyline heat.

2) Flash pin/tainted win. As part of a storyline right now I had a midcarder beat a main eventer in a very close match. It was meant to elevate the midcarder up and not drop the main eventer down so I kept the ME guy strong.

3) Tag teams that I am priming for a split. Have one guy be pulling all the work but the weak link partner keeps him losing. Again the idea is that he lost but it isn't his fault. I don't want it open because there is clearly a weak link but I don't want the guy I'm trying to push into a singles competitor to lose a ton of popularity in the process.

I rarely use tainted wins. I'll do a flash pinfall for when I have a smaller guy beat a larger guy like The Architect picking up a win over Dreadnought, for example. I view tainted more as a heelish type of victory while cheap is your traditional "f**k finish" where a guy purposely loses via DQ/Count out/interference etc.

Keep strong is for talking guys into taking losses, and protect I use almost exclusively for workers wrestling with an injury. Or I might use it if I have a super over, in ring talentless guy like Dreadnaught vs the best wrestler in the world (or damn close, I'm bias since he's carrying my RTG) Ermest Youngman so he doesn't look like a sack of trash vs Youngman.

As for building pop, I haven't done only monthly, but 15 of my 22 guys are major stars and 2 others are stars. I've been running weekly events on wrestleworld 3 or 4 months now, prior to that it was touring shows 3 times a week. My focus has just been on having good matches. I'm trying to groom Fro Sure to be Youngmans first loss since Fro is gonna be my figurehead. They're together in tag matches and interview angles. Past that, it's literally just putting on good matches. I haven't done anything special. Have my company cornerstones win prolly 85% of matches against non cornerstone guys and when the face each other it's more of who I'm building that particular moment to feed to Youngman.

Also, I book a few draws on occasion. Idk if that does anything for anyone. Haven't had a problem building pop so I haven't dove in to study month to month numbers compared to my booking.

I'm a tiny company, running into the problem where my company is out growing my roster. As my size has grown my Major Stars have become Well Known at best and now I'm being dinged by disappointed/entitled fans.

Easy fix is to hire some bigger stars. Ex-TV guys. That stops the fans complaining. I'm having decent success in raising my original rosters popularity pairing them up with the stars in matches (clean losses) and angles. Surfer Dude Lucas went from 18 to 32 pop in 6 shows losing open matches and verbally sparring with Echo (64 pop). I made sure he was on White Hot momentum first.

Of course, the classic way is if beat the old veterans clean in the middle. They'll whine and complain (unless signed to a pass the torch contract) but it's worth it. No cheat. No workaround. Just victory over a guy more popular than them.

Of course, the classic way is if beat the old veterans clean in the middle. They'll whine and complain (unless signed to a pass the torch contract) but it's worth it. No cheat. No workaround. Just victory over a guy more popular than them.

They whine too much imo. I jobbed someone over a couple of times and they barely lost pop (even gained more). Then he walked out with 2 days remaining on his contract. :rolleyes:

They whine too much imo. I jobbed someone over a couple of times and they barely lost pop (even gained more). Then he walked out with 2 days remaining on his contract. :rolleyes:

I don't expect the workers can 'see' their own popularity. They don't know it didn't hurt him. He just thinks it did. Emotion over logic.

It does strike me as a gameplay over realism decision though. If you could bring in any star and use them to feed your cheap roster popularity, with little-to-no complaint, it would be a bit easy.

I don't expect the workers can 'see' their own popularity. They don't know it didn't hurt him. He just thinks it did. Emotion over logic.

It does strike me as a gameplay over realism decision though. If you could bring in any star and use them to feed your cheap roster popularity, with little-to-no complaint, it would be a bit easy.

I think personality should matter more than it does. Old School guys trying to protect their value like Kamala(who walked out refusing to job to Randy Fricken Savage in WCW) make all the sense in the world, but the bar for the walkout is way too harsh. It should ding their match grades first and then lead to a wall out if you keep pissing them off. Only true mercenaries and douchebags should have that quick a trigger. And only a handful of guys fall into that catagory.

I can see that. Things may need tweaking. Although I could also see Personallities meaning more when it comes to what contracts they sign (Passing the Torch, Nostalgia Acts, etc) which in turn effect losses. Does seem like a bulky extra step though.

Just hired 43 year old, time declined Zeus Maxmillion to my tiny Australian promotion on a Passing The Torch deal. He's 25 points more popular than the bulk of my roster. Let's see if he complains much when he loses.