Booking Heels as 'Tweeners

Is it possible to do this in the game? Like how in Texas in the 80s the Freebirds would get booed when they faced the Von Erichs, but when they faced Devastation, Inc. they were cheered. Does the game penalize you for heel vs. heel matches or will the crowd take on one of the heels as the de facto babyface?

TEW as such doesn’t really work well with tweeners. It keeps that strict face and heel divide. Back in 16 I booked an ECW game and turned off the face and heel divide, but still booked guys as such. Mainly because a lot of the characters would be quite tweener like. And also guys moved quite fluidly between face and heels. TEW would have just constantly penalised the switching too often. So in order to minimise that penalty I turned it off. I still had in my mind who was face and heel. But I was able to book how I wanted so could do as I pleased creatively without the game element holding me back.

<p>I like the idea of turning off the face / heel divide in game to allow you more booking freedom (whilst still generally following the rules manually) but I’ve always wondered what effect doing this has on the gimmicks of the workers? Do their gimmick ratings switch off (or not be affected by whether they’re playing a heel / face gimmick). </p><p> </p><p>

Also, do they lose their disposition bonus in matches / angles? Often I get in the dirt sheet that a worker got a bonus for being ‘a great face’ etc. Would this disappear without face / heel divide turned on?</p>

<p>I’ve always loved a strict face/heel divide, but I enjoy that there’s now a preference to switch off the penalty for turning too early.</p><p> </p><p>

This means if I ever need to turn someone and then swerve them back, I can just flick off this preference and do the turn, and then flick it on again.</p><p> </p><p>

It’s also cool that you can go to your preferences during PM mode now as well.</p><p> </p><p>

This will also be a cool feature to bring a guy into your company for a big pop as a face (someone like Kevin Nash for example), and then turn them heel the next week or two as they actually align with the heel (like Triple H).</p><p> </p><p>

So many cool possibilities in 2020.</p>

I’ve always loved a strict face/heel divide, but I enjoy that there’s now a preference to switch off the penalty for turning too early.

This means if I ever need to turn someone and then swerve them back, I can just flick off this preference and do the turn, and then flick it on again.

It’s also cool that you can go to your preferences during PM mode now as well.

This will also be a cool feature to bring a guy into your company for a big pop as a face (someone like Kevin Nash for example), and then turn them heel the next week or two as they actually align with the heel (like Triple H).

So many cool possibilities in 2020.

I like this as well. As one of the issues I had was running a storyline that involved people joining a heel stable only to basically disrupt them from within so meant they wouldn’t be strictly a heel turn as turning back to face quickly.

Also the ecw game I ran was kind of car crash booking and lots of ecw originals coming in whose loyalty to ecw was changing quite a lot. Fairly often these were old boys on short deals but storyline wise made sense for them to switch from face to heel quickly.

To me strict heel/face divide is a throw back to classic "good guys vs. bad guys" golden age match ups (or modern kid friendly simpler storylines)

To me the rise of the tweeners was really with anti-heroes during the Attitude era and to represent that you just set it to loose heel/face divide. That relaxes the restrictions a lot I think.

I’ve always loved a strict face/heel divide, but I enjoy that there’s now a preference to switch off the penalty for turning too early.

This means if I ever need to turn someone and then swerve them back, I can just flick off this preference and do the turn, and then flick it on again.

It’s also cool that you can go to your preferences during PM mode now as well.

This will also be a cool feature to bring a guy into your company for a big pop as a face (someone like Kevin Nash for example), and then turn them heel the next week or two as they actually align with the heel (like Triple H).

So many cool possibilities in 2020.

This actually answers a question I've had recently, because I wasn't sure if the game mechanics would overly penalize me. So thank you, Nickman, much appreciated for this little nugget.

To me strict heel/face divide is a throw back to classic "good guys vs. bad guys" golden age match ups (or modern kid friendly simpler storylines)

To me the rise of the tweeners was really with anti-heroes during the Attitude era and to represent that you just set it to loose heel/face divide. That relaxes the restrictions a lot I think.

I think heel and face is a fairly old fashioned idea now. For example someone like Kevin Owens debuted in wwe as a heel attacking John Cena who was a face. Yet the crowd boo Cena and cheer for Owens. So the traditional sense of face and heel has kind of changed. Is a modern day roman reigns a face or heel? He’s booked to wrestle and act like a face yet is booed. So I think unless it’s done in a really retro kind of way faces and heels are starting to disappear a bit.

I think heel and face is a fairly old fashioned idea now. For example someone like Kevin Owens debuted in wwe as a heel attacking John Cena who was a face. Yet the crowd boo Cena and cheer for Owens. So the traditional sense of face and heel has kind of changed. Is a modern day roman reigns a face or heel? He’s booked to wrestle and act like a face yet is booed. So I think unless it’s done in a really retro kind of way faces and heels are starting to disappear a bit.

I just think bookers are stupid these days and don't book according to the crowd. Both Austin and The Rock turned face because they were getting cheered (after Rock originally turned Heel because of the "Rocky Sucks" chants), Reigns and Cena both should've turned heel long ago when they were getting booed.

You need to listen to your audience, Cena turning heel once the fans turned on him would've been absolutely amazing. I just don't understand why they never pulled that trigger.

I just think bookers are stupid these days and don't book according to the crowd. Both Austin and The Rock turned face because they were getting cheered (after Rock originally turned Heel because of the "Rocky Sucks" chants), Reigns and Cena both should've turned heel long ago when they were getting booed.

You need to listen to your audience, Cena turning heel once the fans turned on him would've been absolutely amazing. I just don't understand why they never pulled that trigger.

That's an easy question to answer.

Merchandise... Lots and lots of merchandise.

Would you guys have liked to see Cena take heel bumps like Patterson or Flair just because he's fighting KO? Or Roman acting like a coward just because you're jealous he's a Chad? Makes no sense.

Match MMA if you want 3-D personalities who fight to win money and fame.

Matches are structured so there needs to be a heel and a face- "shine, heat, comeback"-even when there are two heels or faces in the ring, or if there' a tweener. Called Storytelling 101. Vince Russo is the one who hated that idea of heels vs faces, so maybe you have more in common with him than you think.

Would you guys have liked to see Cena take heel bumps like Patterson or Flair just because he's fighting KO? Or Roman acting like a coward just because you're jealous he's a Chad? Makes no sense.

Match MMA if you want 3-D personalities who fight to win money and fame.

Matches are structured so there needs to be a heel and a face- "shine, heat, comeback"-even when there are two heels or faces in the ring, or if there' a tweener. Called Storytelling 101. Vince Russo is the one who hated that idea of heels vs faces, so maybe you have more in common with him than you think.

Get out of the WWE bubble o.o

Wrestling characters have always beenn 3 dimensional, except in one promotion.